Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest cpg

I guess that modifications around 0x7DE8 are fastboot related, but do you have something about 0x1934 ?

Could cpg make more discoveries public ? :mellow:

Edit: related to shifting (?)

Sure, if you compare the Telia appsboot with the modified version, the bytes at 0x1932 and 0x1934 are the fixed offset of the splash partition like explained above. The part of 0x1934 i changed determines the shifting. Changing too much there can actually change the instruction itself though.

The 0x7DE8-0x7DF3 are effectively 'nops' (that original code part checked for home + volume up; i removed the home key check there). The byte 0x7DF6 is a constant: 1 is for fastboot, 2 and 3 for booting recovery (there is a small difference between those two, which might only have an effect on the original recovery kernel).

Enabling fastboot for a windows gen2 appsboot is just in those 0's and the single 1 in that range.

Guest wbaw
Sure, if you compare the Telia appsboot with the modified version, the bytes at 0x1932 and 0x1934 are the fixed offset of the splash partition like explained above. The part of 0x1934 i changed determines the shifting. Changing too much there can actually change the instruction itself though.

The 0x7DE8-0x7DF3 are effectively 'nops' (that original code part checked for home + volume up; i removed the home key check there). The byte 0x7DF6 is a constant: 1 is for fastboot, 2 and 3 for booting recovery (there is a small difference between those two, which might only have an effect on the original recovery kernel).

Enabling fastboot for a windows gen2 appsboot is just in those 0's and the single 1 in that range.

So fastboot was already enabled & just needed home & vol+ to work on gen2?

Guest cpg
So fastboot was already enabled & just needed home & vol+ to work on gen2?

No, that part is in the constant - the 3 at 0x7DF6, which just boots recovery. But you could only change that to a 1 to use home + vol up for fastboot. :mellow:

Guest wbaw
No, that part is in the constant - the 3 at 0x7DF6, which just boots recovery. But you could only change that to a 1 to use home + vol up for fastboot. :mellow:

Home & Vol+ for fastboot might be better, either that or menu & vol+ for TPT (that'd be better still, but i don't fancy testing a modified oemsbl for it, although the stock orange gen1 'B10' version of oemsbl already has it, if we can dump it), it'd save confusing the two.

Edited by wbaw

Guest aliaird

Hi. just done this and all seems well (thanks for everyone's work on this, looks awesome and spome good features!) but...

I can't get Titanium Backup to work to renistall all my apps.

I can download it from the Market but it doesnt show in my list of apps? ANy ideas? Can I boot it up through Astro or somewhere? It shows in Manage Apps so its there somewehere....

Guest dadashi

After removing and replacing battery I've only ever had to press "Volume+" and "Power", never had to press "Menu" as well....

Guest wbaw
After removing and replacing battery I've only ever had to press "Volume+" and "Power", never had to press "Menu" as well....

It depends on your phone. With new phones from orange, until you do a full TPT, you do need to press menu as well as vol+ to TPT, I can confirm that. After you've done a TPT, then only vol+ is needed (but pressing menu & vol+ works too).

Guest robinhud2010

You are the man! :)

But there seems to be a problem - If cache is only 2MB, it must mean that I can no longer download apps greater than 2MB from the market, right?

Is there any solution or workaround to this problem... or do I have to resize cache partition? (and if so, how?) :unsure:

Guest targetbsp

But there seems to be a problem - If cache is only 2MB, it must mean that I can no longer download apps greater than 2MB from the market, right?

Is there any solution or workaround to this problem... or do I have to resize cache partition? (and if so, how?) :unsure:

Both gen 2 roms use the sd card for the download cache.

Guest Amphoras
Both gen 2 roms use the sd card for the download cache.

It doesn't always seem to work though, on CM7 anyway.

For some people the 2mb cache is fine, for others it can cause problems. If your having problems downloading things and you have an ext partition on your sdcard, you can use an app called S2E to use part of the ext partition for downloads. After you've done this you can install things from the market without any problems. I don't know if you can get it from somewhere other than the market or not. I don't know how big it is, so if its more than 2mb you would have trouble downloading that from the market too.

Guest wbaw
It doesn't always seem to work though, on CM7 anyway.

It always works on CM7. Report an issue on their bug tracker if you have any problem with it.

For some people the 2mb cache is fine, for others it can cause problems. If your having problems downloading things and you have an ext partition on your sdcard, you can use an app called S2E to use part of the ext partition for downloads. After you've done this you can install things from the market without any problems. I don't know if you can get it from somewhere other than the market or not. I don't know how big it is, so if its more than 2mb you would have trouble downloading that from the market too.

There is no need to do anything, it already redirects cache to data in cm7 if /cache is under 20mb, SS sets up a tmpfs partition for cache if it's under 20mb. 2mb cache is the perfect size for everybody, otherwise you're just wasting space for no reason.

Edited by wbaw

Guest cpg
Home & Vol+ for fastboot might be better, either that or menu & vol+ for TPT (that'd be better still, but i don't fancy testing a modified oemsbl for it, although the stock orange gen1 'B10' version of oemsbl already has it, if we can dump it), it'd save confusing the two.

I'm pretty confident i can safely patch the existing oemsbl by now, but experimenting with it might not be the best idea, no :unsure:

Changing TPT fastboot (back) to home&vol+ won't have the desired effect, as the phone will still go to TPT mode first even then.

Edited by cpg

Guest Woody Guo
Ah well if you think like that :unsure: Anyways got it done. Thanks for the mod :)

just curious, did you change the values in nandroid.md5 with the md5 hashes of the system.img, boot.img and userdata.img you backed up?

I just want to know if it will validate the md5 hashes when doing TPT upgrade

Guest Hellek2

Does this actually replace the radio or not? I still have Baseband-Version P729B01 (which I think I already had before, when I bought my gen1 Blade from Yesss). Also HSUPA is not working (might be provider related though). I am still wondering whether I have 850mhz or not, I can't try here, it is just relevant when going on holidays. Of course it might be that the instructions for the radio are in another partition, but I recall very well that on my G1, the updates of the Baseband were what changed/improved radio stuff, and here on my Blade this part seems unchanged.

Guest wbaw
Does this actually replace the radio or not? I still have Baseband-Version P729B01 (which I think I already had before, when I bought my gen1 Blade from Yesss). Also HSUPA is not working (might be provider related though). I am still wondering whether I have 850mhz or not, I can't try here, it is just relevant when going on holidays. Of course it might be that the instructions for the radio are in another partition, but I recall very well that on my G1, the updates of the Baseband were what changed/improved radio stuff, and here on my Blade this part seems unchanged.

It updates the radio to swedish comviq gen2. There seems to be no reliable evidence that gen2 enables 850mhz or hsupa, looks more like it doesn't/can't/wont. nobody can show a screenshot that proves hsupa or 850mhz & most people (me included) say it doesn't enable those. There is little noticeable difference between gen1 & gen2, except the ability to run certain roms.

@Woody Guo: the tpt process doesn't check any md5 hashes, that nandroid.md5 is just there for you to check the files manually before you flash your phone (AFV from the android market will do it, as well as several other apps), as flashing corrupt files by tpt can brick it, there are very few checks on the files that the tpt process flashes.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Woody Guo

@Woody Guo: the tpt process doesn't check any md5 hashes, that nandroid.md5 is just there for you to check the files manually before you flash your phone (AFV from the android market will do it, as well as several other apps), as flashing corrupt files by tpt can brick it, there are very few checks on the files that the tpt process flashes.

Thanks for the information!

Guest ludacrash

so if i use this on my gen1 phone (cyanogenmod 7.0.3 with converter) it will be gen2 and i can update the Mod just from clockworkrecovery, or at least without the converter, is saw the N70 is available, is this a good mod? and helps it against the battery drain? i noticed 7.0.3 drains less battery than 7.0.0 already, but will N70 help more?

Guest Jekle

Is it possible to change the amss.mbn from the Gen 2 hungarian upgrade with v4? A post yesterday said it failed, Can Anyone confirm this?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Is it possible to change the amss.mbn from the Gen 2 hungarian upgrade with v4? A post yesterday said it failed, Can Anyone confirm this?

I believe the post yesterday referred to what happened when trying to flash the entire Gen2 hungarian update with TPT (which obviously failed for the same reason the original gen2 updates wouldn't flash via TPT). I wouldn't have thought it would cause any problem in this scenario. I've been thinking about trying all the different radio firmwares around to see if i can get HSUPA working.

Guest wbaw
I believe the post yesterday referred to what happened when trying to flash the entire Gen2 hungarian update with TPT (which obviously failed for the same reason the original gen2 updates wouldn't flash via TPT). I wouldn't have thought it would cause any problem in this scenario. I've been thinking about trying all the different radio firmwares around to see if i can get HSUPA working.

Let us know if you find any differences. You should be able to just swap the amss.mbn (along with amsshd.mbn) from this package with the different amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn files from each update. So far we have 2 swedish, greek, hungarian, chinese & japanese.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Let us know if you find any differences. You should be able to just swap the amss.mbn (along with amsshd.mbn) from this package with the different amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn files from each update. So far we have 2 swedish, greek, hungarian, chinese & japanese.

Will do. The two Swedish ones are the Comviq and Telia/Sonera ones right? could you point me in the right direction to get hold of the japanese and greek updates?

Guest Jekle

These are the T-mobile Hungarian amss.mbn and amsshd.mbn

Could someone test it please just replace it with the one's in the image folder.

And wbaw Could you make a the cache partition bigger in your next release, I has some problems with SS RLS5 CM7 and T-mobile 2.2 (I made my own update zip)

I eventually used my brain and used the Layout generator and made the cache 20mb and had no more problems with installing big apps

This is your own responsibilty if something goes wrong

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18822927/amss%20and%20amsshd.zip