Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Post removed. I didn't realise that I was expected to give one to one support to everybody on the internet because I released something for free. I've been told by the forum admins to post elsewhere.

Edited by wbaw

Sorry for being ignorant, but it's mean that we could back on GEN1 from GEN2 ?

Anyway great work. :)

Yes, as long as you used this method to upgrade your phone to Gen2. No if you used the Windows flashing software or bought your phone as Gen2.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Ok, bad news for me and others curious guys. Do you think there's any chance for rollback to Gen1 with the windows flasher method ?

Actually I can go back to GEN1 but with wrong IMEI. I can modify this IMEI with a program, but only 14 digits, the 15th still false, but my phone work... So if I update with your method I suppose my IMEI will still false ?

Guys like you deserve all our attention. :)

Best regards.

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest mrradmir

Tnx! I think it's possible to reflash Gen2 phones using (not only) "Gen1 to Gen2 tpt" files via flasher to have working tpt and possibility of more safely downgrading .

wbaw, which partition layout and amss is used?

Edited by mrradmir

Guest iKrautDroid
Gen1 to Gen2 tpt - http://www.mediafire.com/?rmaiccqirop9iyu - c232d29072c2a42ca050089f0e95a05e

Gen2 to Gen1 tpt - http://www.mediafire.com/?7spy38a1wrg7xsj - 484a37707fddfb50aae4f9bb075e0199

These will convert your phone to Gen2 & back again. You will lose your data, wait a few days if you want a version that will preserve your data.

This is a first version, reported as working, but a bit rough round the edges, it will be updated later.

Nandroid backup first, copy a gen2 rom to your sd card ready to install, then unzip this tpt image to your sd card. Power off, take the battery out, replace the battery then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take about two minutes & then boot into a compatible version of Amon-RA recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

It should all be reversible using then Gen2 to Gen1 TPT, but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

Many thanks to Rotmann for testing it ...

Very cool!

But i have 2 questions:

1.Why do you use amonra?

2.Which partition layout does this image have?

Guest hugobosslives

awesome. so looking forward to your update to include data and tidy it up a bit.

does this fully update to the gen2 kernel stuff that gives access to hsupa etc? I.e does it do everything the previous (windows) update did aswell as preserving tpt?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Amazing work! Thank-you so much for this! I think I might try a gen2 upgrade now, this looks like the best way forward, and then maybe backward again :)! But I'm waiting till a ROM I fancy cones out, then ill updgrade. But once again, great work, really appreciate it!

Tnx! I think it's possible to reflash Gen2 phones with "Gen1 to Gen2 tpt" files via flasher to have working tpt and possibility of more safely downgrading .

That wont be easily possible & you stand a big risk of bricking your phone if you mess about too much.

Stock Gen2 partition layout & Comviq Sweden.

Very cool!

But i have 2 questions:

1.Why do you use amonra?

2.Which partition layout does this image have?

1. No real reason, just that there is gen1 & gen2 versions, and it's new. Replace boot.img & recovery.img with your favourite if you prefer.

2. Stock Gen2, I'll do an update version with a better layout soon, this was just to prove that it works.

Guest hecatae
Tnx! I think it's possible to reflash Gen2 phones using (not only) "Gen1 to Gen2 tpt" files via flasher to have working tpt and possibility of more safely downgrading .

nice to know you reached the same conclusion, will try testing later

Guest gsam101

You just rock guy ! Can we change the partition layout by changing partition.mbm/partition_zte.mbm ?

Edited by gsam101

Guest Fou-lu

brilliant! thanks for your hard work! this will help alot of non-windows upgraders, in the end it was better to wait after all ;D

oh, will clockwork 3.0.1.4 work with this?

You just rock guy ! Can we change the partition layout by changing partition.mbm/partition_zte.mbm ?

partition_zte.mbn & appsboot.mbn both need to be changed & need to match to change partition sizes. You can find some alternative layouts in the sticky Windows Gen2 upgrade topic, they should work. Don't mess with partition.mbn that's important.

Guest gsam101
partition_zte.mbn & appsboot.mbn both need to be changed & need to match to change partition sizes. You can find some alternative layouts in the sticky Windows Gen2 upgrade topic, they should work. Don't mess with partition.mbn that's important.

Okay, so i just change partition_zte.mbm and appsboot.mbn from an update in the Gen2 topic ?

By the way, what is installed when you go back to Gen1 ? The same recovery ?

I have another stupid question: Will my splash image change ?

Tnx! I think it's possible to reflash Gen2 phones with "Gen1 to Gen2 tpt" files via flasher to have working tpt and possibility of more safely downgrading .

nice to know you reached the same conclusion, will try testing later

Flashing these files using the windows flash program to a Gen2 phone will brick it

Don't try it at home.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hecatae
Flashing these files using the windows flash program to a Gen2 phone will brick it

Don't try it at home.

thanks for the pm, will include the suggested files

thanks for the pm, will include the suggested files

Again, I'd still suggest not trying it.

This mod contains a Gen1 partition.mbn radio partition layout, it wont work with a Gen2 oemsbl, which will already be on Gen2 phones, it will brick them. There will be no way to get it back if you end up in a situation where oemsbl.mbn doesn't match partition.mbn.

Even if you include more gen1 files, you're still likely to get the losing imei problem that you'd get from downgrading to gen1.

Guest KACE_231

A few questions:

1. Will this change my IMEI if I flash between the two (to those who have tried it)

2. Does this effect the recovery partition (where I have clockwork installed), if so how?

Finally can someone confirm the steps are:

1. Copy GEN2 and tpt.image to the SD Card

2. Power off, remove battery, replace battery, and power on with MENU and Vol+ button held down

3. Keep holding the buttons for ~2mins, where it will eventually boot into Amon-RA recovery

4. Use this to wipe data and install GEN2 ROM

the parts in red im not sure that is right?

Guest Rotmann

No IMEI gets broken, you can convert as often as you like between Gen1 and Gen2. Your steps are correct. IMPORTANT: you have to be Gen1, if you are already converted to Gen2 it may fook your device.

If someone wants to use clockwork instead of amon ra, you can either replace the recovery.img in the image folder with the Sebastian's gen2 recovery.img (you have to rename it) or you can flash from amon ra a gen2 update.zip recovery, reboot into recovery again and there you go.

A few questions:

1. Will this change my IMEI if I flash between the two (to those who have tried it)

not tried it myself yet, but it shouldn't touch your imei at all, that just seems to be a problem with the windows flashing software.

2. Does this effect the recovery partition (where I have clockwork installed), if so how?

Yes, it installs a compatible version of the latest Amon-RA recovery. The recovery partition needs to be updated as a Gen1 recovery program wont work on a Gen2 phone. You can change the recovery.img & boot.img for your favourite recovery program, just make sure that it's gen2 if you're doing the gen1 to gen2 tpt, or gen1 if you're doing gen2 to gen1.

Finally can someone confirm the steps are:

1. Copy GEN2 and tpt.image to the SD Card

2. Power off, remove battery, replace battery, and power on with MENU and Vol+ button held down

3. Keep holding the buttons for ~2mins, where it will eventually boot into Amon-RA recovery

4. Use this to wipe data and install GEN2 ROM

the parts in red im not sure that is right?

Yes, you don't need to hold the buttons for 2 minutes - some green text should come up on the screen as soon as it turns on saying 'update from t-flash card!' or something like that, you can let go of the buttons then, after about two seconds. It'll take a few more seconds to flash everything, then reboot into recovery. The green text might not always show up on all phones, but it should still work.

Guest iKrautDroid
That wont be easily possible & you stand a big risk of bricking your phone if you mess about too much.

Stock Gen2 partition layout & Comviq Sweden.

1. No real reason, just that there is gen1 & gen2 versions, and it's new. Replace boot.img & recovery.img with your favourite if you prefer.

2. Stock Gen2, I'll do an update version with a better layout soon, this was just to prove that it works.

Ok, its just I have had bad expiriences with amonra.

New Question:

Does the cache2tmpfs thingy for froyo roms while using a 2mb cache work on gen2?

I have an idea of how to use this on phones which are Gen2, but it'll require using the flasher again. I'll try it out later

I do too ... but you'll need the extra gen1 .mbn files that are missing from this package otherwise it will brick it & you'll still probably corrupt your IMEI just like if you try downgrading to Gen1 using the windows flasher.

At best it'll be as (un)safe as the current Gen1 downgrade, at worst it'll break your phone beyond repair & that is a certainty if you mix a gen1 partition.mbn (included in this package) with a gen2 oemsbl.mbn (on gen2 phones).

It is very strongly not recommended. There is no reason to do it & you're in serious danger of bricking your phone by trying anything like that. Better to do a normal Gen1 downgrade & then flash this afterwards.

Edited by wbaw

Ok, its just I have had bad expiriences with amonra.

New Question:

Does the cache2tmpfs thingy for froyo roms while using a 2mb cache work on gen2?

You can easily change the boot.img & recovery.img for clockwork, just make sure it's a gen2 compatible version.

cache2tmpfs will still work on gen2 froyo roms, but CM7 is better & doesn't need it. Also, until I update it, unless you replace appsboot.mbn & partition_zte.mbn, it's using the stock gen2 partition layout, which has a standard ~40mb cache partition.