Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest Michealtbh
I have noted a few posts about this type of issue. Did you use the default partition layout....? (I changed mine)

Did you try something like a SS ROM rather than just the CM7...?

Was it just the market that gave the issue and did you try to clear the data and cache from it..?

Yes, default layout.

Only seems to occur with Market downloads, all other apps can download fine. I haven't tried with SS. I'm guessing this might have something to do with the cache being so small. I know CM7 uses sd as cache, but it's the only explanation I can think of. Can you point me in the direction of a thread/post detailing how to change the partition layout? I use DTa2sd so having a huge data partition isn't that important for me. Thanks.

*Edit - yes, I've tried clearing data from Market, Market Updater, Downloads etc and several reboots. Problem still persists

Edited by Michealtbh

Guest dibbles
Yes, default layout.

Only seems to occur with Market downloads, all other apps can download fine. I haven't tried with SS. I'm guessing this might have something to do with the cache being so small. I know CM7 uses sd as cache, but it's the only explanation I can think of. Can you point me in the direction of a thread/post detailing how to change the partition layout? I use DTa2sd so having a huge data partition isn't that important for me. Thanks.

*Edit - yes, I've tried clearing data from Market, Market Updater, Downloads etc and several reboots. Problem still persists

I will get that info for you and edit this post with it.

I used this tool...

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...l-windows-only/

to generate the two files needed.

Make sure that you generate the correct generation of files for the generation of phone you are going to. That is VERY important.

The two files are...

appsboot.mbn

partition_zte.mbn

I made my partition to be 140mb system, 20mb cache and 270mb data.

I placed those two files in the TPT image folder overwriting the ones that are there and did NOTHING else.

That will then go through the process and partition the phone according to the sizes you select.

Whether I needed such a cache size is debatable but all works well for me and gives me much more room for my data than I need anyway. The 140mb for the system seems generous enough as well. From the creation of the 20mb of cache 3mb+ is already in use, or at least has files in it to show it has been used.

All works fine.

Just pay real attention to the generation of files you are creating to go with the generation of phone you are going to TPT to - repeated due to it being important :)

Edited by dibbles

Guest Michealtbh
I will get that info for you and edit this post with it.

I used this tool...

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...l-windows-only/

to generate the two files needed.

Make sure that you generate the correct generation of files for the generation of phone you are going to. That is VERY important.

The two files are...

appsboot.mbn

partition_zte.mbn

I made my partition to be 140mb system, 20mb cache and 270mb data.

I placed those two files in the TPT image folder overwriting the ones that are there and did NOTHING else.

That will then go through the process and partition the phone according to the sizes you select.

Whether I needed such a cache size is debatable but all works well for me and gives me much more room for my data than I need anyway. The 140mb for the system seems generous enough as well. From the creation of the 20mb of cache 3mb+ is already in use, or at least has files in it to show it has been used.

All works fine.

Just pay real attention to the generation of files you are creating to go with the generation of phone you are going to TPT to - repeated due to it being important :)

So far so good. Booted fine and Market seems to be downloading fine (for now at least)

Thanks for your help!

Guest dibbles

Glad it helped :)

I thought that the 2mb cache was a little small but had no real evidence to support that. Equally I did not need every single mb for data.

Out of curiosity what did you partition to...?

Guest Michealtbh

I thought that the 2mb cache was a little small but had no real evidence to support that. Equally I did not need every single mb for data.

Same as yours

Guest paddymcn

Hey dibbles, you're doing some good work here. Thankfully I didn't need any help but its good to know guys like you are about.

Thanks again to wbaw for his work, I think the fact it is so easy to do is confusing people :)

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4

Is there a reasonable way of repartitioning without too much hassle after the Gen1 -> Gen2 conversion ?

Guest reluctant_traveller
I just updated it a bit, there's a new slightly improved partition layout & ClockworkMod has been updated to 3.0.2.7

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v3.zip 9d13bfc2189db3d51d59ee9e4d5a1f5c (15mb cache, 138 mb system, 302mb data) - Download size 16.1mb

If I wanted to use your improved partition layout, would I re-flash this v3 over my existing Gen1 to gen2 tpt, or would I need to flash a Gen1 tpt 1st before flashing v3?

and btw, thanks again for the awesome work!

Holy Cow, now that was _really_ easy. I had an old version of clockword + seb's r4 deorangated on my gen1 Blade (UK) and thought I should try if I only have to copy a file on the sdcard. Worked like a charm - again, many thanks for you hard work, it is much appreciated! :)

If I wanted to use your improved partition layout, would I re-flash this v3 over my existing Gen1 to gen2 tpt, or would I need to flash a Gen1 tpt 1st before flashing v3?

and btw, thanks again for the awesome work!

You can if you want, there's no need to go back to Gen1 first, but you'll still have to wipe your data for no noticeable benefit. It isn't worthwhile.

Guest Freekers

Here's my TopTip:

REMOVE the 'Image' folder from your SDCard after you're done flashing/converting your phone.

If not, this scenario may happen:

Let's say someone accidently turned off your phone and wanted to turn it on again.

While turning on, he/she accidently holds the VOL+ and MENU button.... need I say more.... *sigh*

Edited by Freekers

Guest targetbsp
I just updated it a bit, there's a new slightly improved partition layout & ClockworkMod has been updated to 3.0.2.7

Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v3.zip 9d13bfc2189db3d51d59ee9e4d5a1f5c (15mb cache, 138 mb system, 302mb data) - Download size 16.1mb

This is presumably because there's some evidence that a bit of cache is needed even with the sd card diversion?

Do we know how CM7 handles diverting cache to SD? My question related to the changelog for SS which states:

"Automaticly mounts /cache as tmpfs (ramdisk) if cache partition is less than 20000kb." so SS will use the sd card for its cache with this size.

Is CM7 similar to that? And if so... what size does it divert at? Because if it was say 10mb then it would now use the phone cache which means you couldn't get apps bigger than 15mb anymore? I would assume the cutoff would be higher than that - I'm curious as to what it is. Or does it just use the sd card regardless of your on phone cache?

Guest dadashi

noobie question,

I used the v2 with 2mb cach and two of my apps wont start and i think it might be due to the small cach...

the v3 makes a 15mb cach...Im running as gen2 now, can I flash the v3 again untop of my already Gen2 to change the cach size and then flash my nandroid backup unto it...?

Guest sitic
I used the v2 with 2mb cach and two of my apps wont start and i think it might be due to the small cach...

CM7 and SS automatically use the sdcard as cache, so you don't really need to change anything. Cache is now 15 MB because the 15 MB couldn't be added to the data partition without breaking to splash image.

Just leave it as you have it right now, no need to change, it'll work ...

CM7 and SS automatically use the sdcard as cache, so you don't really need to change anything. Cache is now 15 MB because the 15 MB couldn't be added to the data partition without breaking to splash image.

Just leave it as you have it right now, no need to change, it'll work ...

Exactly that. The splash partition can't be moved & there was 15mb of free space before it. Because the splash partition cant be moved that 15mb can't be added to system or data without messing up the splash image. So I moved the cache partition into the 15mb that was free space & added the extra 2mb from where cache was to system.

It's quite pointless, it can't possibly affect how well your phone runs at all, the cache partition is only used for storing clockworkmod log files, if you use CM7 or SS5. There is no real difference between having 2mb or 15mb cache partition, because it's not really used for anything.

Edited by wbaw

Guest dadashi

ok, but would it work to flash the v3 onto my already Gen2...I mean would it cause probs or brick the SF...?

Edited by dadashi

Guest rjgallac

Bought this phone a month ago and decided to root and update the phone from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3. I installed all the clockwork bits on Gen1 but didnt have the confidence to go to Gen2. However After seeing this I thought I'd give it a go and I wasn't disappointed. How easy was that. Thanks very much. I have a problem with not being able to install google apps again. In particular the market place. I gather I need to repartition but I'm struggling to find instructions for that. Can someone point me in the right direction. How can I even tell what size my partitions are?

ps. I ran the all in one TPT. then upgraded to latest 7.0.2 rom.

My home button isn't doing anything either.

Im really knew to all this including android so be gentle LOL :mellow:

Bought this phone a month ago and decided to root and update the phone from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3. I installed all the clockwork bits on Gen1 but didnt have the confidence to go to Gen2. However After seeing this I thought I'd give it a go and I wasn't disappointed. How easy was that. Thanks very much. I have a problem with not being able to install google apps again. In particular the market place. I gather I need to repartition but I'm struggling to find instructions for that. Can someone point me in the right direction. How can I even tell what size my partitions are?

ps. I ran the all in one TPT. then upgraded to latest 7.0.2 rom.

My home button isn't doing anything either.

Im really knew to all this including android so be gentle LOL :mellow:

Download the proper gapps package, that will fit: http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/...0307-signed.zip

Reboot back into clockwork, wipe data, reinstall CM7 & then install the proper gapps package.

Guest KACE_231
ok, but would it work to flash the v3 onto my already Gen2...I mean would it cause probs or brick the SF...?

If you had upgraded to GEN2 via this method using the v2-zip (i.e. NOT windows flasher), then just repeat the same steps with the v3-zip. I did that and it worked fine