Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest pieroglif
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the Android world. I've got a ZTE Blade (San Francisco) from Orange Poland, with Cyanogen 7.0 Gen1. I'd liek to switch to latest Cyanogen, but I can't do the Gen1>Gen2 conversion for some odd reason.

I've read the whole thread here (please be forgiving if I missed a post or two), and can't find an answer why I can't do it. I take the followign steps.

1. I format the SD card (tried Windows, mkfs.vfat and ClockWorkMod format /sdcard) [just in case]

2. Download the TPT Cyanogen 7.03 image from the first post. I verify it's MD5, eveyrhing is ok.

3. I extract the image folder to the root of the SD card

4. Turn off the phone, remove battery, wait 10 sec

5. Press Menu+Vol+ and while holding them press Power on for about a sec.

Now, I know that it should start flashing, but.. it doesn't. I get the green Android logo, followed by the Cyanogen skateboard one and it boots normally to Cyanogen 7.0 Gen1.

I've tried two different SD cards (8GB and 4GB) both reformatted from scratch. Unfortunately, I don't have the original card, because I gave it away.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I'd really liek to move to the latest nightly.

+1

I've got the same problem, and the same phone from the same network. I doubt that Orange Poland is able to lock the possibility to bootload, but if it's not the case, then what is? I do not want to use the Windows method, because I do not have Windows :D

Guest Bobby Newmark
+1

I've got the same problem, and the same phone from the same network. I doubt that Orange Poland is able to lock the possibility to bootload, but if it's not the case, then what is? I do not want to use the Windows method, because I do not have Windows :D

I've managed to flash Gen1>Gen2 using the Windows technique. See here. It was a breeze after many hours experimenting with the TPT method. If you don't have Windows, visit someone with Windows 7. It has the necessary drivers installed. It's a matter of extracting a zip, launching a program and waiting a few minutes. The TPT method now works, BTW :D

Guest meganjonez

Am I been thick? I've unzipped the image file into my SD card thingy and when I reboot it doesn't do anything apart from enter clockwork mod as usual when you hold down the power + vol buttons.

Guest wbaw
Am I been thick? I've unzipped the image file into my SD card thingy and when I reboot it doesn't do anything apart from enter clockwork mod as usual when you hold down the power + vol buttons.

You need to hold vol+ & menu when you power on, not vol-.

Guest hugobosslives

You need to hold vol+ & menu when you power on, not vol-.

haha, bet you were close to saying: "yes you are thick" after so many people asking that exact thing, because they havn't read the first post properly.

Guest mk89
I edit partition from v7. New partition(138mb system, 315mb data, 2mb cache). LINK.

thx worked just fine for me :D

Edited by mk89

Guest digitaldai

Hello

Just did as described above, downloaded and copied 'image' to SD card and restarted with + button and menu (md5 checksummed original file as well). green writing came up and all was going well waited about 5-10 mins nothing happened after green writing went away. tried to turn phone on nothing happens. cant get tpt to start again, any suggestions?

bricked? if so not sure what I did wrong

Gen 1 phone , was running custom 2.2 I had installed through clock mod.

any ideas greatly received. Had a look around at other peoples problems, none seem exactly the same, totally dead from all button combos tried different start up keys, is only 2 weeks old maybe it is a dud.

Edited by digitaldai

Guest wbaw
Hello

Just did as described above, downloaded and copied 'image' to SD card and restarted with + button and menu (md5 checksummed original file as well). green writing came up and all was going well waited about 5-10 mins nothing happened after green writing went away. tried to turn phone on nothing happens. cant get tpt to start again, any suggestions?

bricked? if so not sure what I did wrong

Gen 1 phone , was running custom 2.2 I had installed through clock mod.

any ideas greatly received. Had a look around at other peoples problems, none seem exactly the same, totally dead from all button combos tried different start up keys, is only 2 weeks old maybe it is a dud.

Does it charge or anything? Taken the battery out & tried again?

Did you check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your phone?

Guest Monfro

Thank you wbaw!!

I used your tool to upgrade to Gen2, and in a few minutes i was running a shining new Gen2 rom.

Everything went fine without problems at all!!

Guest LexS007
Can you provide the md5 for this please?

md5 : a618471d44ae48d8ef6bccb432b3cfad

sha1: f23e3e7256c32bacb11acdeb5da64b89dd71fded

Guest hugobosslives

anyone else find the android man, has changed???

since i flashed v7 (which worked perfectly btw) the android man (on boot) has changed from being the normal small (about an inch tall) green man. to a huge, fill the whole screen, man with a white border...

weird.....

Guest wbaw
anyone else find the android man, has changed???

since i flashed v7 (which worked perfectly btw) the android man (on boot) has changed from being the normal small (about an inch tall) green man. to a huge, fill the whole screen, man with a white border...

weird.....

Yeah, I sneaked that one in.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I edit partition from v7. New partition(138mb system, 315mb data, 2mb cache). LINK

md5 : a618471d44ae48d8ef6bccb432b3cfad

sha1: f23e3e7256c32bacb11acdeb5da64b89dd71fded

Hi thanks for providing this modified layout as I think 160mb is too much for system but that is my opinion, I just got a couple of queries

when I rebooted it still had the old splash image, I thought wbaw has replaced it, have you changed it back to default or is this some error that has occured

Now my next question (if you dont know then im just putting it out there for someone else to answer), does something have to be in the splash partition or can it be deleted or resized to almost nothing, it would seem pointless having some space dedicated to provide a splash image that someone would see for like 20 seconds or so

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest wbaw
Hi thanks for providing this modified layout as I think 160mb is too much for system but that is my opinion, I just got a couple of queries

when I rebooted it still had the old splash image, I thought wbaw has replaced it, have you changed it back to default or is this some error that has occured

Now my next question (if you dont know then im just putting it out there for someone else to answer), does something have to be in the splash partition or can it be deleted or resized to almost nothing, it would seem pointless having some space dedicated to provide a splash image that someone would see for like 20 seconds or so

I reduced the size of the splash partition to 768kb in the last version. The splash screen should be a full screen sized android with a white background.

You could remove the splash partition, but it'd try to display whatever was at that address as an image at start (resulting in multi-coloured junk). You can only save 768kb by doing this.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I reduced the size of the splash partition to 768kb in the last version. The splash screen should be a full screen sized android with a white background.

You could remove the splash partition, but it'd try to display whatever was at that address as an image at start (resulting in multi-coloured junk). You can only save 768kb by doing this.

Well I just downloaded your version and the splash screen is like you said but then I flashed his again and it reverted back to the old one so he must have changed it, its not important either way just wanted to know whether it was intentionally changed back to default or whether it was an error during flashing

Anyway thanks for answering both of my queries

Guest LexS007
Well I just downloaded your version and the splash screen is like you said but then I flashed his again and it reverted back to the old one so he must have changed it, its not important either way just wanted to know whether it was intentionally changed back to default or whether it was an error during flashing

Anyway thanks for answering both of my queries

Yes, I changed back default splash screen.

Guest digitaldai
Does it charge or anything? Taken the battery out & tried again?

Did you check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your phone?

Think I located the problem, checked the md5 file on the laptop not on the SD card, it seems to have developed some errors in coping across to SD, still a brick, but maybe I have got away with it!

gone back to the old clockwork install method and running Swedish_Spring_RLS5. no more fiddling for the moment!

thx

Guest irishpancake

Hi Guys..

I used the V.5 gen1-2-gen2 to upgrade my Blade......and I then put SS_RLS5 on..

I notice the System Partition shows 120MB using the FreeSpace tool.

The System size is 160MB, as expected with the layout included in the image....

BTW, thanks to wbaw for the fantastic development and support here.

My question is given that I am using the Swedish Spring ROM, not planning on going to CyanMod yet, if ever on the Blade, can I adjust the System Partition size by re-flashing the newly developed image by LexS007 mentioned in the latest posts.

Obviously, I am not going from GEN1->GEN2, so is there another way, preserving Data, etc.

Is there not a Partition tool which was developed in another thread, can't find it now, but it was Gen2, and then also catered for Gen1 by request.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by irishpancake

My question is given that I am using the Swedish Spring ROM, not planning on going to CyanMod yet, if ever on the Blade, can I adjust the System Partition size by re-flashing the newly developed image by LexS007 mentioned in the latest posts.

Yes, you can. I did the same. Worked flawlessly.

Guest Malfis

Few steps from upgrading and just one question: does this upgrade have a clockworkmod recovery gen 2 included? Or how i should install roms after the upgrade? Thanks