Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest geegeethatsme
First of all, thanks for your help.

No problem. I would imagine you are moving apps to your SD card from within Settings - Manage Applications, or perhaps from Titanium. That's using the built-in functionality in Android from Froyo on. A2SD is a separate process to put apps (or links) into an ext partition and is generally thought to be the better approach as some apps and widgets will not run well or at all from the stock partition (FAT 32). Using an ext3 partition removes that uncertainty so everything should run much better and more efficiently. There's loads on this on the web. I have paraphrased enormously.

So, I would recommend adding an ext3 partition to your sd card. Unfortunately I'm a Linux user and I think you're on Windows so I don't know the exact process you will follow but the instructions you included in your last post look right. You'll probably have to reformat the card again which means you'll lose what's on it so make sure you've saved anything important - photos etc. to your PC. The Windows partitioning tool should give you the option to create multiple partitions, just make sure the FAT32 partition is the first on the card. It will give you the option to choose sizes of partition - on a 2Gb card I'd suggest 1.5Gb for the FAT 32 partition and 512Mb for the ext3. The precise sizes will be decided by the tool - a 75:25 ratio is the rule of thumb. Also, make sure that in addition to placing the Image folder back on the card, you also copy back to the root of the card a Gen2 rom zip (I recommend SS5) so that is available to you as a fallback if anything goes wrong.

The partitioning tool should also have the option to mount/dismount the card from the PC (it'll have to be dismounted in order to partition - at least that's the case on Linux), but a simple way to check is to boot the phone into Clockwork after you've partitioned and look in the Mounts and Storage menu. If you see an option to mount sd card and mount ext partition, choose them both then reboot. If the options are to unmount then you're already mounted and no action is necessary, just reboot. Then switch off and follow the TPT routine again.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Just seen that you managed the ext partition. Just the mounting to check then. I see wbaw is chipping in. He's the guru.

Edited by geegeethatsme

Guest topek

I hate this stupid phone.

I tried, i think, EVERYTHING.

It just doesn't want to do that what i want.

Fu****g crap.

I leave it today. I lost many hours and i'm frustrated :-(

Guest ohyesman

Hey wbaw

Currently using kallt_kaffe's SS5 on my Gen1 but waht to switch to gen 2 to see if it improved my signal.

Looking to update to your Ginger Stir Fry Beta 9 using your Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT - but just wondered what version of the TPT it uses for this?

The Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data one or the Partitions: 2mb cache, 140mb system, 314mb data??

New to all all this android stuff but must say this site is brill.

I assume with my apps i just use titanium backup>batch>backup all user apps - run the TPT and once restarted its just a case of restoring all apps with data.

Thanks

Edited by ohyesman

Guest k0zmic
I assume with my apps i just use titanium backup>batch>backup all user apps - run the TPT and once restarted its just a case of restoring all apps with data.

Thanks

Go for the one with a larger system.

Yep, on your new ROM you can just restore the apps with a batch backup.

Guest ufizo

i have a query,

If i get my device upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 officially from dell (which also means GEN1>GEN2), then I will no longer be able to use TPT.

Is this correct?

And if it is, then is there anyway to go back,.. so that TPT starts working again?

I know there are alternate ways of getting the work done,.. but Im just curious to learn about how TPT works :)

Guest V5er

Ok here goes:

Earlier today my Blade was Gen1, rooted and running Swedish Spring RLS5. I've never had any problems flashing ROMS up to this point.

Then I decided to upgrade to CM07.0.2 Stable by curl66.

The phone was wiped as instructed and reflashed.

After this the phone booted into Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) and wouldn't move.

I tried using Windows and the Blade Diagnostic solution, successfully flashed Gen2 and Gen1 ROMS (at this point I had no idea what Gen my phone still was) but got nowhere. I restored the NVM file values to the original IMEI and still no progress.

I tried the Blade Custom Generic firmware method using download.exe and although flashing was successful, the phone refused to move past the FTM screen. NVM values were checked, changed and I still got nowhere.

Finally I found this thread and was able to get back to CWM.

The phone refuses to accept any ROMS that I flash. The Ginger Stir Fry flash aborts soon after I "install zip from SD".

I did put Swedish Spring back on but after successful flashing and removing the IMG file, the phone just goes back into CWM.

Have I missed something somewhere or is there something else that I can try? Any help appreciated!

Thanks

V5er

Edited by V5er

Guest hedgepigdaniel

@v5er

Booting into recovery mode (FTM mode and clockworkmod are just two different things that might be in recovery) and not into anything else is usually a symptom of corrupt NV memory, but TPTs should not be able to do any damage to it, so I don't know why it would have happened to you.

Links: what is windows and the blade diagnostics solution? Did you make a nvm backup yourself and then restore it, or did you download one and modify it with your IMEI?

Guest V5er
@v5er

Booting into recovery mode (FTM mode and clockworkmod are just two different things that might be in recovery) and not into anything else is usually a symptom of corrupt NV memory, but TPTs should not be able to do any damage to it, so I don't know why it would have happened to you.

Links: what is windows and the blade diagnostics solution? Did you make a nvm backup yourself and then restore it, or did you download one and modify it with your IMEI?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I made back ups of my phone using both Titanium and Clockworkmod. I also tried to restore from the latter but i get errors regarding device cache space for log files. So it doesn't work for me.

I modified any NVM file in the ROMS that I was going to flash or if unavailable I d/l one. In both cases I changed the values to my IMEI using a hexeditor. I did try and backup/restore the NVM file but I wasn't sure which NVM file was being used. In any case it didn't seem to work for me.

Blade diagnostic solution:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-also-the-imei/

Windows diagnostic solution:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ded-gen2-blade/

Edited by V5er

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Ok.

If you hadn't corrupted your NV memory before, you have now. you need to follow the instructions in this thread to restore your IMEI. Its probably appropriate to post further queries on that thread than here. If you do that properly you should be ok

Guest cameleonowsky
I hate this stupid phone.

I tried, i think, EVERYTHING.

It just doesn't want to do that what i want.

Fu****g crap.

I leave it today. I lost many hours and i'm frustrated :-(

topek, do u still wanna try? in what network do u have phone?

Guest V5er
Ok.

If you hadn't corrupted your NV memory before, you have now. you need to follow the instructions in this thread to restore your IMEI. Its probably appropriate to post further queries on that thread than here. If you do that properly you should be ok

Alright, thank you :)

Guest topek
topek, do u still wanna try? in what network do u have phone?

Of course.

i want to try.

I made hard reset on my phone and can't now connect to the android market using gprs/UMTS

Using wifi it works correctly.

I hate it.

All the time something is not working :-(

Guest cameleonowsky
Of course.

i want to try.

I made hard reset on my phone and can't now connect to the android market using gprs/UMTS

Using wifi it works correctly.

I hate it.

All the time something is not working :-(

OK, try this.

If mr.pigfish says that u have gen1 phone then:

1. Extract gen1 to gen2 tpt onto your microsd that u have folder named image

2. Copy ROM onto microsd in zip format (dont extract it)

3. Turn off your phone, remove battery, unplug cable if its connected to your pc.

4. Hold vol+ and vol- then plug usb cable in while still holding

5. Unhold after few seconds and take a look into windows device manager (find in ports section something smililar to ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface DFU (COMX) where X is a number

6. If windows does not recognise properly then find on the internet ZTE blade usb drivers (my win7 cant recognize but after drivers update it download drivers manually)

7. Download this http://hotfile.com/dl/115367515/af3e2a7/v8...covery.zip.html and extract it on your c: drive

8. Download config file http://hotfile.com/dl/115438650/db0c6ba/WC...etting.cfg.html and copy and replace it in location from 7.

9. Run USDL_P726CV1.00.00.exe, press ! , then enter username Administrator password ZTEsmt123

10. In application enter menu > option >port config and choose X port number from 5. After a while phone should go in Download mode. If it is written so then press SW Directory and choose location of Orange_GEN1_136mb_sysem_no_oem_15mb_cache

11. Run Start ALL.

12. If 100% success turn off phone

13. Now menu vol+ and power should work

Guest topek

Thanks for your help bro :)

OK, try this.

Yes it says, that i have gen1. I checked it again

3. Turn off your phone, remove battery, unplug cable if its connected to your pc.

5. Unhold after few seconds and take a look into windows device manager (find in ports section something smililar to ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface DFU (COMX) where X is a number

6. If windows does not recognise properly then find on the internet ZTE blade usb drivers (my win7 cant recognize but after drivers update it download drivers manually)

My ZTE has been recognized:

andekporty.jpg

7. Download this http://hotfile.com/dl/115367515/af3e2a7/v8...covery.zip.html and extract it on your c: drive

Du you mean directly to c:\ or somewhere on the c: hard drive?

8. Download config file http://hotfile.com/dl/115438650/db0c6ba/WC...etting.cfg.html and copy and replace it in location from 7.

I replaced it.

These file got exactly the same size.

9. Run USDL_P726CV1.00.00.exe, press !

After clicking "!" it changed from "operator" to "administrator"

I run this application as admin

then enter username Administrator password ZTEsmt123

I did it and it worked.

But i got such window after confirming the password:

andekscreen.jpg

10. In application enter menu > option >port config and choose X port number from 5.

I don't see any "menu" here:

andekaplikacja.jpg

So i stopped here.

I don't want to break anything

You forgot about inserting the battery or not?

Guest hedgepigdaniel
OK, try this.

9. Run USDL_P726CV1.00.00.exe, press ! , then enter username Administrator password ZTEsmt123

10. In application enter menu > option >port config and choose X port number from 5. After a while phone should go in Download mode. If it is written so then press SW Directory and choose location of Orange_GEN1_136mb_sysem_no_oem_15mb_cache

11. Run Start ALL.

12. If 100% success turn off phone

13. Now menu vol+ and power should work

DO NOT DO THAT

If you really want to flash something via windows, this is the way to do it. Flashing the custom v7/v7b packages should be equivalent to these TPTs, and they will work even if TPT doesn't. The instructions above are a last resort and will lose you your IMEI unless you back it up first.

You should try to get the TPT to work first though. one more suggestion: try formatting you SD card with clockworkmod. Perhaps windows and all these other programs format in a way that TPT doesnt like.

Guest Amphoras

Currently my phone is partitioned using v4 (138mb system), but its a bit too small for the stuff I want to put in it. I tried the v7 tpts, but I didn't like the new splash image. Can I just use v7 with the splash image from v4 or v4 with the partition mbm from v7 just by swapping the files?

Guest cameleonowsky

topek, just choose from option > port config port number that is displayed in device manager (COM3 in your sit). Then put path in "SW Directory" as i wrote before then press Start ALL. After process is successful unplug usb cable. Put battery on and menu + vol+ + power will work from now on. I did it in some ZTE blades and san franciscos and everythink work.

Guest cameleonowsky
DO NOT DO THAT

If you really want to flash something via windows, this is the way to do it. Flashing the custom v7/v7b packages should be equivalent to these TPTs, and they will work even if TPT doesn't. The instructions above are a last resort and will lose you your IMEI unless you back it up first.

You should try to get the TPT to work first though. one more suggestion: try formatting you SD card with clockworkmod. Perhaps windows and all these other programs format in a way that TPT doesnt like.

My IMEI is still viewable under system and its the same as written phisicaly under battery.

Guest topek

How can i format SD Card with clockworkmod?

You mean go into clockwork mod by holding volume- while booting the device?

I don't see there any option like format SD card.

In Advanced (last position) there is "partition SD card"

Do you mean this option?

I discovered in clockwork mod in the option

"mounts and storage"

possibility to mount sd card.

I did it but i get error message

"Error mounting /sdcard"

Perhaps this is the problem?

Edited by topek

Guest hedgepigdaniel
My IMEI is still viewable under system and its the same as written phisicaly under battery.

Whether or not it removes your IMEI depends on the situation. If you tick the cefs box you will lose your IMEI unless you back up and restore NV (which requires planning and stock recovery on the files to flash). If you flash from a Gen2 partition.mbn to a Gen1 partition.mbn you will lose your IMEI.

Yes, given the information topek has given it should work, but its a terrible idea to recommend that to him in case he (or you) has made a mistake regarding his circumstances. Topek can do exactly the same thing with my guide (and he can also flash directly to custom Gen2 firmware and never have to do a TPT) and his IMEI will be retained in all circumstances.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
How can i format SD Card with clockworkmod?

You mean go into clockwork mod by holding volume- while booting the device?

I don't see there any option like format SD card.

In Advanced (last position) there is "partition SD card"

Do you mean this option?

yeah taht should do it.

Guest cameleonowsky
If you flash from a Gen2 partition.mbn to a Gen1 partition.mbn you will lose your IMEI.

Yes, given the information topek has given it should work, but its a terrible idea to recommend that to him in case he (or you) has made a mistake regarding his circumstances. Topek can do exactly the same thing with my guide (and he can also flash directly to custom Gen2 firmware and never have to do a TPT) and his IMEI will be retained in all circumstances.

maybe yes but there is also a solution how to get back your IMEI while returning to gen1. But why would I want to get back to gen1 :)

Guest topek
maybe yes but there is also a solution how to get back your IMEI while returning to gen1. But why would I want to get back to gen1 :)

I want to have that possibility.

If my ZTE will break i could load stock rom to use warranty.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
I want to have that possibility.

If my ZTE will break i could load stock rom to use warranty.

omg

my guide has a solution to going back to Gen1. you do it, and it works. No problems with IMEI if you follow the instructions.

That other thread has another solution. you lose your IMEI and then resort to hex editing to fix it up again.

Isn't this a no brainer?

topek, if you can't get TPT to work, just follow my guide. you can go back to Gen1 whenever you want with either it or TPT.

Guest wbaw
Currently my phone is partitioned using v4 (138mb system), but its a bit too small for the stuff I want to put in it. I tried the v7 tpts, but I didn't like the new splash image. Can I just use v7 with the splash image from v4 or v4 with the partition mbm from v7 just by swapping the files?

If you're already on v4, then you can just delete the splash.img from the v7 package & it should work without changing the splash.