Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest Amphoras
If you're already on v4, then you can just delete the splash.img from the v7 package & it should work without changing the splash.

I already tried swapping the splashes and it worked fine, but that's good to know for future, thanks.

Guest Droid 007

Thanks so much wbaw, I am new to Android and still trying to figure out how things work in it. I have just upgraded my new ZTE Blade using the following image:

Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT

Download: gsf-blade-b9-tpt.zip

Download size: 101.03mb

MD5: 60a541641bf1062414c799c8e3345dbc

I was not sure which one to pick, so picked the above one.

Now, my question is, does this image unlock all 512MB RAM or do I need to do something else to unlock it?

Guest wbaw
Thanks so much wbaw, I am new to Android and still trying to figure out how things work in it. I have just upgraded my new ZTE Blade using the following image:

Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT

Download: gsf-blade-b9-tpt.zip

Download size: 101.03mb

MD5: 60a541641bf1062414c799c8e3345dbc

I was not sure which one to pick, so picked the above one.

Now, my question is, does this image unlock all 512MB RAM or do I need to do something else to unlock it?

You already had 512mb ram, it's only greek phones that are locked like that.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Hi all.

One question for experts:

I want to create a TPT GEN1 to GEN2 with a stock rom inside. (Froyo french stock rom)

Can I simply take a TPT package from wbaw and put inside the files from my stock ROM ? Or some of them only ? (system.img, boot.img, recovery.img ...) ?

Here's my files list:

-amss.bin

-amsshd.mbn

-appsboot.mbn

-appsboothd.mbn

-boot.img

-cefs.mbn

-oemsbl.mbn

-oemsblhd.mbn

-partition.mbn

-partition_zte.mbn

-qcsbl.mbn

-qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn

-recovery.img

-splash.img

-system.img

I just want to apply this ROM to the TPT Gen1>Gen2 method, with enough partition size for stock Froyo (40mb cache ?) and also keep the original recovery, not put clockworkmod.

Thanks to you.

Regards.

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Hi all.

One question for experts:

I want to create a TPT GEN1 to GEN2 with a stock rom inside. (Froyo french stock rom)

Can I simply take a TPT package from wbaw and put inside the files from my stock ROM ? Or some of them only ? (system.img, boot.img, recovery.img ...) ?

Here's my files list:

-amss.bin

-amsshd.mbn

-appsboot.mbn

-appsboothd.mbn

-boot.img

-cefs.mbn

-oemsbl.mbn

-oemsblhd.mbn

-partition.mbn

-partition_zte.mbn

-qcsbl.mbn

-qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn

-recovery.img

-splash.img

-system.img

I just want to apply this ROM to the TPT Gen1>Gen2 method, with enough partition size for stock Froyo (40mb cache ?) and also keep the original recovery, not put clockworkmod.

Thanks to you.

Regards.

no you can't, for the same reason that we originalyl couldn't do a Gen1->Gen2 upgrade TPT. you cant flash a different partition.mbn and oemsbl.mbn via TPT, as wbaw has explained. you can only flash an official update via windows.

EDIT: I misunderstood. It should be fine to replace the .img files, as long as they fit, but you cant just replace all the .mbn files

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest hedgepigdaniel
no you can't, for the same reason that we originalyl couldn't do a Gen1->Gen2 upgrade TPT. you cant flash a different partition.mbn and oemsbl.mbn via TPT, as wbaw has explained. you can only flash an official update via windows.

As I said in the france upgrade thread, If you want to flash the french firmware you can do it here

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Thanks for help.

I would just know if it's possible to TPT the stock rom as a "custom ROM" like CM7. In that case I just have to replace the img's files ? (system, boot and recovery ?)

I have see your post and I can make a working flashable zip, but just want to know if TPT method would be possible for the frenchs who are afraid of flashing via clockworkmod. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot. :)

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Thanks for help.

I would just know if it's possible to TPT the stock rom as a "custom ROM" like CM7. In that case I just have to replace the img's files ? (system, boot and recovery ?)

I have see your post and I can make a working flashable zip, but just want to know if TPT method would be possible for the frenchs who are afraid of flashing via clockworkmod. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot. :)

afraid of clockworkmod but not afraid of TPT? I think they are afraid of effort rather than danger...

Yes, you can. That is the same way all the other TPT ROMs are made.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Thanks again, appreciated your help. :)

I successfully create a clockworkmod flashable zip with your help, thanks.

Now I search a way to edit a boot.img file inside windows but don't think I can. :rolleyes:

I already say thanks ? So thanks again. :rolleyes:

Guest Ashenfall

Is there a simple way to alter the partition layout?

As I have a SD card partition for /data, a large data partition is pretty much wasted - but any extra space on /system could be used, e.g. by using Titanium Backup to move applications to a 'system app'.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Is there a simple way to alter the partition layout?

As I have a SD card partition for /data, a large data partition is pretty much wasted - but any extra space on /system could be used, e.g. by using Titanium Backup to move applications to a 'system app'.

there is no benefit to moving applications to /system. It wastes space when the apps are updated, because the updates get put on /data. Unless you want to install a ROM larger than 160MB, there is no need for a larger /system partition.

Guest Ashenfall
there is no benefit to moving applications to /system. It wastes space when the apps are updated, because the updates get put on /data. Unless you want to install a ROM larger than 160MB, there is no need for a larger /system partition.
But, again using Titanium Backup, you can integrate the updates to /system so the space isn't wasted?

Guest wbaw
But, again using Titanium Backup, you can integrate the updates to /system so the space isn't wasted?

But what's the point? Why not just have a smaller system partition & keep the apps on data where they can be updated without wasting space or having to use titanium backup. It's all the same space, it just works out easier if the market apps live on data, as long as there isn't too much free space on system, that way you don't need to bother to keep track of app updates & manually move them. You'll also still need to leave enough free space on data so that they can download, so still wasting space on data if it's on /system & gets an update.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Ashenfall
But what's the point? Why not just have a smaller system partition & keep the apps on data where they can be updated without wasting space or having to use titanium backup. It's all the same space, it just works out easier if the market apps live on data, as long as there isn't too much free space on system, that way you don't need to bother to keep track of app updates & manually move them. You'll also still need to leave enough free space on data so that they can download, so still wasting space on data if it's on /system & gets an update.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the data partition not be used for applications when you have Apps2SD and an sd-ext partition? (possibly used for dalvik-cache though). That's my thinking behind this - that if I'm using a ROM with Darktremor Apps2SD, for instance, I can't use any of the internal data partition space for apps, but I could place them on the internal system partition.

Edited by Ashenfall

Guest harmana

wbaw: Thank you for posting this rom! I installed it yesterday (the first rom I've installed and it literally took all of 5 minutes) and it basically only required me to reboot the phone! Loving the CM7 rom. Thanks a lot for making this all-in-one rom - I probably wouldn't have done it otherwise!

I may have found one little bug so far: After taking it off charge this morning, the screen stayed on 100% brightness, rather than switching back to auto brightness. I got it back to auto brightness in the settings easily enough. Not sure if it's a bug or what, just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks again!

Guest DaneelS

I'm sure the answer to my question is here somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it in the 34 pages of this thread.

I'm pretty sure I flashed my originally GEN1 2.1 OLED phone to GEN2 v3 using a file I downloaded from this thread. I've been having some market issues and wondered if flashing to the newer version of GEN2 might fix this? I can't find instructions on how to move from GEN2 v3 to the new GEN2 v7. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I'm sure the answer to my question is here somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it in the 34 pages of this thread.

I'm pretty sure I flashed my originally GEN1 2.1 OLED phone to GEN2 v3 using a file I downloaded from this thread. I've been having some market issues and wondered if flashing to the newer version of GEN2 might fix this? I can't find instructions on how to move from GEN2 v3 to the new GEN2 v7. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Just download the gen 2 v7 upgrade and flash it thats all, no need to downgrade back to gen 1 or anything

As for whether it will fix market issues, I doubt it

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest zanny

Noob question.

Upgraded stock éclair to gen1 SWEDISH SPRING. This method best and safest way to upgrade to gen2 even though im not on stock rom?

Edited by zanny

Noob question.

Upgraded stock éclair to gen1 SWEDISH SPRING. This method best and safest way to upgrade to gen2 even though im not on stock rom?

yes.

Guest Dovbush

I accidentally reinstalled Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade (power on ... & vol+ held. without menu press but it worked).

"...see some green text" and Now, the screen flashes just Big an android man NON STOP. No buttons are responding.

Please help.

I would be very grateful.

Edited by Dovbush