Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest Ray-man

Well, I'd try another browser (Firefox or Chrome).

Just tried using Google Chrome - Same results so downloaded JZIP. - The first unzip appears to have worked well, no errors and the IMG file is listed in the image folder. I'll check the other downloads just to be sure but right now it looks like another item to thank Mr Gates organisation for!

I have now downloaded from several more links in this thread, including the all-in-one version where my problem first showed up and all have unzipped without any errors. Will still need to run MD5 but didn't get that far before so I'm unlikely to revisit this particular post for further updates.

I will post again later in this thread once I've completed the upgrade.

Edited by Ray-man

Guest Ray-man

Sounds like the download is corrupt, try again & test the md5.

You'd be better off with the latest CM7 nightly anyway, it's more up to date, get the Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip from the first post, then the latest cm7 nightly from here http://download.cyan...m/?device=blade and the google apps package from here: http://goo-inside.me/gapps extract the tpt zip file to your sdcard & copy the other 2 zip files. Do the TPT first, it'll start up in clockworkmod, use that to flash cm7, then gapps.

Whatever you do, don't try to flash a TPT that has errors when you extract it & always double check all the md5sums. Flashing a corrupt TPT can kill your phone.

I finally found that it was Windows Explorer unzip that caused the problem. Changed to JZIP and that sorted it.

I think have now successfully updated using the above methods (Everything was verified with AFV and all were fine) and flashed the latest nightly (143) and gapps. Everything went well and the phone is now running but I have encountered one problem. I can't get the Android keyboard to appear, when I try to sign in to gmail or enter the access code for my home network I get the 'Select Input Method' message (Android keyboard is the only option) but it doesn't launch when I select it, just returns to the highlighted text box.

I followed the update procedure very carefully but noticed that although there is an instruction to wipe data, there is no instruction to wipe cache, so I only wiped the data.

Hopefully you will be able to advise what to do next.

Thanks.

NOTE TO ALL NOVICES LIKE ME: Please see my later post before attempting this upgrade!

Edited by Ray-man

It should only come up with the 'select input method' if you press on the text box for too long, you just need a quick tap to start typing.

Guest Ray-man

It should only come up with the 'select input method' if you press on the text box for too long, you just need a quick tap to start typing.

Yes, I've discovered that the phone's a lot more responsive now.

THE FORMAT OF THE REMAINDER OF THIS POSTING HAS BEEN CHANGED AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ADDED ON 27/07/11.

Below is a list of the problems I have discovered with my phone since upgrade.

• Unable to logon to my home wifi (BT Homehub 2). - Status shows 'Obtaining IP Address' but doesn't get beyond that. Can successfully logon to BT Openzone and BTFON, which may also be connecting via my home hub.
  • Logging on to Gmail is no longer possible inside the house (Not a problem before the upgrade). Connection possible from outdoors but with frequent dropouts.
  • 3G reception is now virtually non existant.
  • Unable to access the phone SD card via USB from PC - 'USB connected' shows at the top of the phone display then changes to the USB symbol (Prior to upgrade it was necessary to select 'Mount' via a popup on the phone), the phone also indicates that it's charging. The PC acknowledges the USB connection and McAffee gives option to scan, but I cannot gain access using Windows Explorer - PC prompts to advise 'Load disc in drive F:' This method was successfully used previously to load the upgrade downloads onto the phone.

THIS NEXT PART IS A 'MUST READ' FOR ALL NOVICES LIKE ME!

At this point I finally realise that I have no idea what to do next. I could put the SD card into the PC to load the files that restore from GEN2 to GEN1 then restore the phone and start again - but hold on, I don't know what went wrong when I did the upgrade so how can I be sure that I'll get the restore right and that could be disasterous. I also don't know if the restore process can be used if the previous upgrade wasn't entirely successful so I'm really sunk.

The point I'm trying to make here is that these items are produced by dedicated enthusiastic members who kindly offer to share their work with others but there are no guarantees. Assuming that they are available they may be willing to offer further assistance when things don't go as expected but they cannot be expected to provide limitless support, especially when they won't know exactly what you did or didn't do! SO IT'S WORTH THINKING ABOUT THAT BEFORE ATTEMPTING SOMETHING YOU DON'T FULLY UNDERSTAND!!!

That said, I'm still hoping that I can get the problems resolved (2.3.4 is a great improvement) so would appreciate further advice on how to move forward - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks.

Edited by Ray-man

Guest tyrol_gangster

Can sb help, please? I want to move from SS5 to GSF, is there any point in prior to that updating my phone to this v8 Gen2 upgrade over a previous version of the same (think it was v4)? If yes, then can I just install it or do I need to go back to Gen1 first?

Guest k0zmic

Can sb help, please? I want to move from SS5 to GSF, is there any point in prior to that updating my phone to this v8 Gen2 upgrade over a previous version of the same (think it was v4)? If yes, then can I just install it or do I need to go back to Gen1 first?

You should be able to just install it via Clockworkmod.

Guest tyrol_gangster

k0zmic: thanks, but I know that (how to install another ROM), the question was if and how should I update the Gen2 firmware from wbaw from an older version to v8.

Guest k0zmic

k0zmic: thanks, but I know that (how to install another ROM), the question was if and how should I update the Gen2 firmware from wbaw from an older version to v8.

I guess you can, but I don't know whether there are any real advantages to upgrading to v8.

I'm guessing there aren't, other than maybe newer files in the firmware from the official operator updates.

Edit: Also, it seems from v5 the system partition size became 160MB to fit larger ROM's like CM.

In that case, you may want to upgrade to v8 to change your partition layout.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest wukudaku

I guess you can, but I don't know whether there are any real advantages to upgrading to v8.

I'm guessing there aren't, other than maybe newer files in the firmware from the official operator updates.

Edit: Also, it seems from v5 the system partition size became 160MB to fit larger ROM's like CM.

In that case, you may want to upgrade to v8 to change your partition layout.

So is it possible to use Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8 on Blades upgraded to GEN2 with previous TPT version to change partitions layout?

Guest Ray-man

I have updated my earlier #705 post to include all the post-update problems identified to date and would appreciate guidance on how I might try to resolve them.

Edited by Ray-man

Guest k0zmic

So is it possible to use Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8 on Blades upgraded to GEN2 with previous TPT version to change partitions layout?

I'm fairly sure it should work.

Do get a second opinion to be 100% sure.

Guest Richard_Arkless

I'm fairly sure it should work.

Do get a second opinion to be 100% sure.

Yea he will be able to upgrade to v8 from a previous version without the need to downgrade to gen 1 first

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Droid 007

I updated my OSF with the following:

Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT

Download: gsf-blade-b9-tpt.zip

Download size: 101.03mb

MD5: 60a541641bf1062414c799c8e3345dbc

I installed AllCallRecorder, but it tells me the phone does not support recording other party voice. Reading web sites, it seems I need to get another ROM. What should I do now that I have Gen 2 with Android 2.3?

Can you please help?

Edited by Droid 007

Guest emerald123

This will convert your Gen1 phone to Gen2 & boot into ClockworkMod for you to install your rom. You will lose your data. Make any backups you want first. Gen1 nandroid backups wont restore on a Gen2 phone. Always check MD5s, one way to do it is to download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the Android Market, search for AFV.

It is for European Gen1 ZTE Blades, Orange San Franciscos, Sapo A5s & Base Luteas sold with Android 2.1 Eclair only. None of the downloads on this page will work if your phone was sold with or operator upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo. In that case, you already have the upgraded radio firmware. This is a safer alternative to the operator 2.2 upgrades which keeps some of the good features of Gen1 (like fastboot mode, tpt mode & extra storage space), but upgrades everything necessary to run Gen2 Android 2.2 Froyo & Android 2.3 Gingerbread roms.

Custom rom version (should work well with most custom roms, more room for your apps & data)

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror

Download size: 16.05mb

MD5: 35581040f3af0387af502e80cdcaf364

SHA1: 3958e25c3a1a6f3ed982318f5bd70c8369a82981

Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data, 0.1mb oem

Alternative version - enough space to install gen2 stock roms

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-stock.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror

Download size: 16.06mb

MD5: b87a8fb0dd779dde393993cd2f786d37

SHA1: 47c9843cbfdf28ed504f3b3252e2f8b327bd6bee

Partitions: 37mb cache, 210mb system, 204mb data 4mb oem

Instructions

Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

Once installed, remove the image directory from your sd card, to prevent accidentally reinstalling. Once you have installed this just vol+ & power on will send you back into tpt mode if there is an image directory, even if you needed menu & vol+ before.

Like my work? Donate here: btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Gen1 to Gen2 All-in-one custom rom upgrade TPTs

These are all in one rom + gen2 radio firmware + clockworkmod installs for 'Gen1' ZTE Blades & Orange San Franciscos which were sold with Android 2.1 (Eclair). They will upgrade your phone to Gen2 radio firmware, install the rom & the latest ClockworkMod all in one step, even on unrooted phones.

To install: Unzip the file to the root of your sdcard, it will create an 'image' folder. Check the integrity of the files using AFV (available from android market) to find the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, then long press on it & verify nandroid backup. Turn off your phone, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then hold menu & volume + when you power it on. You should see some green text (may be just a blank screen) then it should reboot & you should see a big android while it is performing it's first boot (this will take a while). Once it has successfully started up don't forget to delete the image folder on your sd card, to prevent any accidents.

Ginger Stir Fry Beta 17 Gen1 to Gen2 Upgrade TPT

Download: gsf-blade-b17-tpt.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror

Download size: 101.07mb

MD5: 748aa3fe808f693ac4c24bf8ad26cecf

SHA1: 3d278e3b7ff6e00853a97f55ddcc4c2447f2a6ee

CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 Gen1 to Gen2 Upgrade TPT

Download: cm-7.1.0-RC1-Blade-TPT.zip mirror mirror

Download size: 104.48mb

MD5: 4e7a35b4485bf0296ba57c1f4730c4e3

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

The technical bit...

This includes a mix of Gen1 & Gen2 firmware files to make it work. Everything important for roms is Gen2 ... here are the files.

Gen1: cefs.mbn, oemsbl.mbn, oemsblhd.mbn, partition.mbn, qcsbl.mbn, qcsbl_cfgdata.mbn

Gen2: amss.mbn, amsshd.mbn, appsboot.mbn, appsboothd.mbn, partition_zte.mbn

If you want to experiment then it's important to make sure that oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn are from the same version. Do not use the appsboot.mbn or partition_zte.mbn on a proper Gen2 phone.

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn

Here is Gen1 with stock partitions & ClockworkMod 3.0.14 (16.4mb) -

Download: Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip mirror mirror

MD5: fddc02f6f48a53910c317fbef38cf7e4

Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Safety

Charge your phone first, make sure it's well charged before doing any TPT, but remove it from the charger before you TPT.

Check the MD5 of any files, they're there for a reason. AFV from the android market will help you to check the files on your phone, there is a nandroid.md5 file to check.

There is a nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, check that when it's on your phone, using AFV from Android Market.

No guarantees.

Remove the image directory from your sd card after install, to prevent accidental wipe & re-installs in future.

so let me get this straight if i extract this gsf blade into the root of my sd card (wher i keep all my apk's and the android and .androd secure and the download folder) and reboot it will be gen2 ofr could i just install the zip using clockworckmod

Guest k0zmic

so let me get this straight if i extract this gsf blade into the root of my sd card (wher i keep all my apk's and the android and .androd secure and the download folder) and reboot it will be gen2 ofr could i just install the zip using clockworckmod

Yes, first check the MD5. If it matches extract the .zip so it creates a folder called image on the SD Card and then hold Volume Up and Power.

Then delete the image directory.

No, you can't install the .zip using Clockworkmod.

BTW was it really necessary to quite the whole first post?

Yes, it is. I did so several times and updatet from v1 to v4 and v7b.

Guest johninbkk

Sorry mate, I know you will think I'm a moron, but please explain how do I Always check MD5s, I have downloaded the AFV, also when I long click the file nandroid.md5 then what exactly do I do?

update. I have just downloaded AFV app, then I successfully AFV'ed the (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup) this process, but where do I find this file? Check the md5sum? also when I remove the battery and replace, bootup by depressing the on + menu + volume, how long do I hold on for? until the green text appears? Then I assume everything is on auto pilot....

johninbkk

This will convert your Gen1 phone to Gen2 & boot into ClockworkMod for you to install your rom. You will lose your data. Make any backups you want first. Gen1 nandroid backups wont restore on a Gen2 phone. Always check MD5s, one way to do it is to download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the Android Market, search for AFV.

It is for European Gen1 ZTE Blades, Orange San Franciscos, Sapo A5s & Base Luteas sold with Android 2.1 Eclair only. None of the downloads on this page will work if your phone was sold with or operator upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo. In that case, you already have the upgraded radio firmware. This is a safer alternative to the operator 2.2 upgrades which keeps some of the good features of Gen1 (like fastboot mode, tpt mode & extra storage space), but upgrades everything necessary to run Gen2 Android 2.2 Froyo & Android 2.3 Gingerbread roms.

Custom rom version (should work well with most custom roms, more room for your apps & data)

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror

Download size: 16.05mb

MD5: 35581040f3af0387af502e80cdcaf364

SHA1: 3958e25c3a1a6f3ed982318f5bd70c8369a82981

Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data, 0.1mb oem

Alternative version - enough space to install gen2 stock roms

Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-stock.zip mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror mirror

Download size: 16.06mb

MD5: b87a8fb0dd779dde393993cd2f786d37

SHA1: 47c9843cbfdf28ed504f3b3252e2f8b327bd6bee

Partitions: 37mb cache, 210mb system, 204mb data 4mb oem

Instructions

Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

Once installed, remove the image directory from your sd card, to prevent accidentally reinstalling. Once you have installed this just vol+ & power on will send you back into tpt mode if there is an image directory, even if you needed menu & vol+ before.

Like my work? Donate here: btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Gen1 to Gen2 All-in-one custom rom upgrade TPTs

These are all in one rom + gen2 radio firmware + clockworkmod installs for 'Gen1' ZTE Blades & Orange San Franciscos which were sold with Android 2.1 (Eclair). They will upgrade your phone to Gen2 radio firmware, install the rom & the latest ClockworkMod all in one step, even on unrooted phones.

To install: Unzip the file to the root of your sdcard, it will create an 'image' folder. Check the integrity of the files using AFV (available from android market) to find the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, then long press on it & verify nandroid backup. Turn off your phone, leave it for at least 30 seconds, then hold menu & volume + when you power it on. You should see some green text (may be just a blank screen) then it should reboot & you should see a big android while it is performing it's first boot (this will take a while). Once it has successfully started up don't forget to delete the image folder on your sd card, to prevent any accidents.

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

The technical bit...

This includes a mix of Gen1 & Gen2 firmware files to make it work. Everything important for roms is Gen2 ... here are the files.

Gen1: cefs.mbn, oemsbl.mbn, oemsblhd.mbn, partition.mbn, qcsbl.mbn, qcsbl_cfgdata.mbn

Gen2: amss.mbn, amsshd.mbn, appsboot.mbn, appsboothd.mbn, partition_zte.mbn

If you want to experiment then it's important to make sure that oemsbl.mbn & partition.mbn are from the same version. Do not use the appsboot.mbn or partition_zte.mbn on a proper Gen2 phone.

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn

Here is Gen1 with stock partitions & ClockworkMod 3.0.14 (16.4mb) -

Download: Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip mirror mirror

MD5: fddc02f6f48a53910c317fbef38cf7e4

Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Safety

Charge your phone first, make sure it's well charged before doing any TPT, but remove it from the charger before you TPT.

Check the MD5 of any files, they're there for a reason. AFV from the android market will help you to check the files on your phone, there is a nandroid.md5 file to check.

There is a nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, check that when it's on your phone, using AFV from Android Market.

No guarantees.

Remove the image directory from your sd card after install, to prevent accidental wipe & re-installs in future.

Edited by johninbkk

Guest k0zmic

Compare the string of characters you have on the file you downloaded i.e. long press the TPT .zip file and check the MD5 on that.

Then compare it to the one you downloaded, e.g. one of the bolded below. If they match you're good to go.

BTW please don't quote the entire post.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Ray-man

[CyanogenMod 7.1 RC1 Gen1 to Gen2 Upgrade TPT

Just upgraded to CM 7 using the above download, MD5s & nandroid verified, upgrade completed and booted okay but still can't logon to my BT Homehub2 (enter access code then get 'Obtaining IP address' but doesn't get any further) and I can't access the sd card via usb. This is the second time I've had these problems after upgrade this phone. The first time I used the GEN1 to GEN2 TPT custom zip from this thread followed by the latest CM7 Nightly rom. I successfully restored using the 'Orange UK stock B20 TPT image [22 May 2011]...' submitted by hecatae, after which home hub and usb access were restored. My phone was B10 build when shipped and restored to B10, which is fine but I imagined it would end up B20. I can restore again and try the Ginger Stir Fry upgrade but would prefer to understand why it's happening.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Guest digital0

Please don't ask ROM support questions in this thread. This thread is only for gen1->gen2 support questions! Please ask in CM thread.

Guest Ray-man

Please don't ask ROM support questions in this thread. This thread is only for gen1->gen2 support questions! Please ask in CM thread.

That's all very well, but how would I know it's the ROM, the entire experience is new to me and I've had the same problem with 2 different ROMs. However, I'll happily use another thread if that gets answers.

Guest johninbkk

This has been tough going, and frustrating.

I have followed instructions as per.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

now I'm @ orange text selection:

reboot system now

apply update from SD card

wipe date/factory reset

install zip from sd card

backup and restore

mounts and storage

advance

power off

I followed instructions above and then selected install from sd card, then nothing, It keeps prompting me to above

I have powered off and still reboots in this mode, above.

where do I go from here? currently I have turned the phone off, every time i turn on as above.... I thought by selecting install zip from sd card would resolve the iuuse, but not, it appears I'm in a loop

Edited by johninbkk

Guest targetbsp

You're meant to be there. That's Clockwork Recovery. Updating to gen 2 leaves you without a rom so you use this to install a rom of your choice. What file are you trying to install? Sounds like it's not a valid thing to be installing. You should be choosing install from zip (as you are doing) and selecting the gen2 rom you downloaded to the sd card. If you didn't put one on there... download one (CM7 or GSF or SS) and copy it on using a card reader then use install from zip to install it.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Ray-man

This has been tough going, and frustrating.

I have followed instructions as per.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

now I'm @ orange text selection:

reboot system now

apply update from SD card

wipe date/factory reset

install zip from sd card

backup and restore

mounts and storage

advance

power off

I followed instructions above and then selected install from sd card, then nothing, It keeps prompting me to above

I have powered off and still reboots in this mode, above.

where do I go from here? currently I have turned the phone off, every time i turn on as above.... I thought by selecting install zip from sd card would resolve the iuuse, but not, it appears I'm in a loop

This is just a suggestion from a newbie so treat it with caution but it sounds like Clocworkmod can't find the rom zip file, it was in the downloads folder when I did it but I'm fairly sure that you need to select the appropriate folder before Clockwork can find it. Anyway Good luck, I know how frustrating it is when things don't go as expected, especially when no-one responds to your queries!

Oops, I see that you've already got a response, lucky you. You may not need this one anymore.

Edited by Ray-man