Get my outlook express emails on my blade?

Guest DeathbyDonut

Guest DeathbyDonut

Is there a guide anywhere on how to get my home emails on my phone?

And by guide I mean an IDIOTS guide and no acronyms :0) I don't even know where to begin and I don't want the orange pay effort.

Cheers

DbD :)

Guest bluemotion
Is there a guide anywhere on how to get my home emails on my phone?

And by guide I mean an IDIOTS guide and no acronyms :0) I don't even know where to begin and I don't want the orange pay effort.

Cheers

DbD :)

What email service you using matey?

If your using a popular email service hotmail/live, gmail, yahoo the 'email' app on most roms will automatically configure them (after you enter your accounts details). press menu when your on the email app main screen... then you will figure it out. if not ask for more details.

Where as if your email address is provided by your

-Internet Service Provider (ISP) like virgin, btopenworld, talktalk... etc)

-workplace

-your own website

the email app will need a few more settings.

Anyway, who provides your email service and we will go from there...

Guest DeathbyDonut

Thnx forthe fast reply :0)

I have a sky email account which was my previous isp I'm now plusnet but I did want to go through the hassle of changing it all , I struggle as it is with this stuff.

This goes to my OE account via POP?

I just downloaded the K9 thing but couldn't get it to go , even after an hour of trying and downloading a password recovery prog in desperation.

Cheers

DbD

Guest sambartle

OK..

It looks like the settings for sky are:

Username:[email protected] (your sky email)

Password: sky email password whatever that is

Incoming Mail Server: pop.tools.sky.com (port 995) SSL

Outgoing Mail Server SMTP: smtp.tools.sky.com (port 465) SSL

And you need to set authentication for SMTP as same as POP.

On an android phone you should be able to configure it by going to:

Email (app), Menu, Accounts, Menu, Add Account, Put your email address in ([email protected]) and password and click Manual Setup (not next), Then choose POP3, on the incoming server screen, change the username to have @sky.com on the end as it will have removed that.. POP3 Server to: pop.tools.sky.com, and Port to 995, Security Type: SSL (Accept all Certificates), Click Next, you should now see outgoing settings, click the checkbox for require login to tick it, fill in the username again like you just did, and the SMTP Server as: smtp.tools.sky.com this time, set security type to SSL (accept all certificates) again, Change Server Port to 465.. Next again, and then save the settings.. hopefully that will work..

I'm not with Sky so i've not tried it, but that should do it for you. (apologies for the lack of bullets or spaces.. i was typing with one hand whilst going through it on an android phone with the other.)

Guest DeathbyDonut

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the SSl thing which i didnt enter - because i didnt know what it meant - once that was in, the outgoing bit turned up.

I then did a test but nothing at first , but on checking I realised that as soon as the account sent it to OE, it deletes from the sky account . I then set that to keep the messages and hey presto email to my phone.

TY very much :0)

I dont suppose while i'm here you know how to stop the phone bleeping when a new tweet turns up , very annoying as I only really use the twitter thing to check news stories. I couldnt find any setting for it , it's the 'tweetcast' app?

Thnx once again , most helpful.

DbD :0)

Guest DeathbyDonut

Hi ,

I managed to get it going great , however if I get the emails on my phone they then dont turn up in my OE at home . Do I have to set up my sky account differently to gett the emails on both?

Cheers

DbD

Guest DeathbyDonut

Thnx for all help on this topic , I got it working but have now removed it as it was all to confusing for me me. I was getting double lots of email and I didnt grasp the whole imap thing so have reverted to just have email on my outlook express , easier for my brain to understand.

Thnx again.

DbD

Guest jimbobvfr400
Thnx for all help on this topic , I got it working but have now removed it as it was all to confusing for me me. I was getting double lots of email and I didnt grasp the whole imap thing so have reverted to just have email on my outlook express , easier for my brain to understand.

Thnx again.

DbD

IMAP is definitely the way to go. I use sky via IMAP on several different devices including my phone.

In order for it to work you need to login to the sky webmail and enable IMAP in the settings on there.

You also need to make sure all of your clients use IMAP, including Outlook Express on the PC

Its brilliant and well worth doing.

If you need the specific sky settings I can get them tonight when I'm back at my PC, currently at work.

Guest DeathbyDonut

Thnx Jim ,

My son in law did set the imap up for me but then when i did this in outlook as well i eneded up with loads of different folders , which if that isnt bad enuff for me it confused my mrs no end.

I scrapped that in OE and reverted to pop there and left imap on my phone . In the ned tho' i couldnt even make it stop getting emails on auto , and when they did come in i was showing double lots and then if i deleted emails it was still saying i had half of them but i couldnt see them.

It was wierd .

As i understand it the imap let me control the sky page and this just threw me 10 left . I've got all the settings from a previous poster , so i'll have another go at a l8r stage.

On the + side , I've managed to get my MMS working with help from another topic.

Thnx again.

DbD

Guest Flumpster

I might know of an easier way for you. You already must have a gmail account to use the market and to backup contacts etc. so you can get that to pick up your email from sky and still have it left in outlook. (I do this with my hotmail account) and then you just use the free gmail app to view them.

Click "Accounts and Import" tab.

Where it says "Check mail using POP3:" click "add POP3 email account".

On the popup screen enter your email address and then click "next step"

Now fill in your username, password, pop server and port info that was posted earlier and tick on "Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server."

Also tick on "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail." if needed.

Now all your mail will be forwarded to your gmail app and also give you notifications on the phone but will leave your Outlook the way it has always been.

HTH.

Edited by Flumpster

Guest DeathbyDonut

Apparently :

pop.tools.sky.com does not support leaving messages on the server

This would seem to be my problem and without doing imap I'm not going to get around it.

DbD :0(

Guest DeathbyDonut

Ok tried the forwarding thing in sky , to forward to gmail but it doesnt seem to want to do it. does it do it instantly or is there a time lag from sky to gmail?

DbD

Guest DeathbyDonut

Theres a dealy of about 15 mins , it just turned up , so i'll try another test and see if i still get the email in OE after the forwarding .

What a polaaaaaaaaaaver .

DbD :0)

Guest DeathbyDonut

Yessssss ,fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally.

No delay this time , got gmail to phone and then went to OE afterwards and the test turned up.

THANKYOU!!! Flumpster

And thanx to all other posters.

DBD :0)

Guest Flumpster

Now I just got to teach you how to edit your posts so you don't make 4 after each other.. lol :mellow:

Glad it's sorted mate.. If there's a delay check the gmail apps settings on the phone to see how often it is checking server.

Edited by Flumpster