[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest Rossuk

Awesome stuff guys. I'm holding off buying a Vega because I want to see if Honeycomb will be fully operational on it first. I know it's a vague question but is this going to turn out to be a perfectly working Honeycomb system for the Vega?

And will this be 100% working within the next few months? If it is then that is incredible, a £200 tablet that runs Honeycomb? Perfect!

Great work though guys, it looks like you have alot of support which is always nice to see :unsure:

Guest BadMix

Sorry for sounding the noob I am (:unsure:) but is it ok for me to use this rom, the stock one you mention as a fallback routine, and the CWM/recovery software you are using from modaco, just like you guys are doing while using a POV Mobii tegra2?

I´m getting mine today and i would like to give this ROM a go, but I´m still unsure if it´s ok for me to assume that everything that goes on top of Vega runs the same on Mobii too. Also, is it unbrickable as his brother Vega as well?

Your feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Mix

Guest mxbob

the beta version is pretty damn usable

apart from the flash issues mentioned elsewhere and a few random lockups for no apparent reason im very happy

as an interesting side note with this rom apps which use rtsp streaming (such as vlc stream and convert) now play both video and audio where they would only ever play audio on every other rom ive tried

i presume this means the stock player should now work for rtsp streaming but haven't got round to testing yet will report back when i do

Guest adamsharpe

Another "noob" question (sorry in advance).

Happily running Corvus5, and i thought i'd give hc a go.....

Installed ok.

Wifi ok.

Had backed up evrything using titanium pro, so go to mkt to download...

Shows email address as connected (but pop up says fc)

Lists titanium and says downloading, but nothings happening.

Have tried this many times but no success, pop up message appears more than once sometimes, but always appears.

Any ideas?

(have gone back to Corvus5 for the time being)

Many thanks....

Guest chugglet
OK, so about Flash :unsure: Hardware rendering is spotty at best right now. It works, kinda, but only kinda. Stuff that's more intensive, like flash, is going to be poor right now unfortunately. This is being worked on but is incredibly difficult to fix! Software rendered players work well enough, and we realize there are other issues in the OS that need to be addressed. The initial development surge was like a huge burst of adrenaline, which all us devs were riding for a while, but now we have kinda crashed, and are very tired :)

Give us a few days, and we will try and get back on top of everything. I am working on making as much as possible function in the Beta stage. But this ROM will not move out of beta until proper HW rendering has been achieved. Until then, unfortunately, some things will be slightly spotty.

We will try our best, thanks for all the support!

newbe5

I think you guys have more than tried your best.

What you have achieved so far with this ROM in such a short space of time is amazing. I have only had my Vega 2 weeks and I thought that it would be months until Honeycomb would be available for it. I didn't expect to see it yet let alone a slightly improved version of it being release every day!!

I am not much into testing this type of software as some are as I like things to work straight away but well done to everyone who is downloading, testing and reporting back.

I am still using Corvus5 and loving it but as soon as the fully tested version of Honeycomb is release, I will be downloading, installing and buying you beers!

Keep up the amazing work guys.

Guest phil8715

I have noticed that when I boot it up sometimes it doesn't automatically connect to wifi. It looks for a wifi connection but never finds it. So I dis-connect and re-connect and it usually finds my wifi and connects, and stays connected.

Guest rnotenboom

does anyone overclocked the vega with honeycomb yet? because i think it make the rom much smoother, correct me if i am wrong!

Guest Remington Steale
does anyone overclocked the vega with honeycomb yet? because i think it make the rom much smoother, correct me if i am wrong!

The rom is already overclocked by default to 1.5Ghz, if you are having stability issues the advice is to get set cpu or some other speed controller and lower it to 1.2 or 1 ghz. Making it any faster isnt really an option.

Corrected.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest rnotenboom
The rom is already overclocked by default to 1.5Ghz, if you are having stability issues the advice is to get set cpu or some other speed controller and lower it to 1.2 or 1 ghz. Making it any faster isnt really an option.

Corrected.

I see Thank you!

no dont have stability issues but some kind of applications like gallery are a kind of slow yet so.

Guest Remington Steale
I see Thank you!

no dont have stability issues but some kind of applications like gallery are a kind of slow yet so.

Thats because hardware acceleration isnt yet fully implemented, its pretty damn good though considering the rom has been hacked out of the bits and pieces of other devices roms.

Unless Google release the source to AOSP suddenly and unexpectedly, or a device with the same/similar hardware gets honeycomb, its going to take some time and effort to get this to release candidate stage.

Guest rnotenboom
Thats because hardware acceleration isnt yet fully implemented, its pretty damn good though considering the rom has been hacked out of the bits and pieces of other devices roms.

Unless Google release the source to AOSP suddenly and unexpectedly, or a device with the same/similar hardware gets honeycomb, its going to take some time and effort to get this to release candidate stage.

I get it! and this is definety a briljant rom yet.

Guest Unipete

Still using Beta 1a to test and still finding it great.

One issue though. Videos on my SD card are appearing in double twist but now refuse to play with 'Sorry, this video is not supported by yoour android device'. They played ok with alpha 4???

Edited by Unipete

Guest Remington Steale
Still using Beta 1a to test and still finding it great.

One issue though. Videos on my SD card are appearing in double twist but now refuse to play with 'Sorry, this video is not supported by yoour android device'. They played ok with alpha 4???

Use mobo player, and if it complains hold down on the video file and choose software decoding and they should play fine. Watched The Doctors Wife on mine.

Guest gavinlew
I want to install this beta but i have to flash original rom first. How can I do that from linux since im downloading a .exe from myadventvega.co.uk?

Thank you,

Hi, I have the same question , did you manage to flash the rom using Linux?

Cheers,

Guest Remington Steale
Hi, I have the same question , did you manage to flash the rom using Linux?

Cheers,

Best way to do it would be to use the linux install sh and nvflash in the vegacomb nvflash installer, unzip the stock flash exe (its just a zipped archive) and move nvflash to the directory with the images, and install_linux.sh to the parent directory of the images.

There's a thread here explaining it: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...k-rom-on-linux/

Guest premieral
Use mobo player, and if it complains hold down on the video file and choose software decoding and they should play fine. Watched The Doctors Wife on mine.

did she mind?? :)

apologies long hard day at the office couldn`t resist :unsure:

Edited by premieral

Guest doireabu

Corrected.

Had real stability problems. Freezing on boot or freezing shortly after. Managed to unerclock to 1 ghz.

Any ideas why this would happen to my device?

Guest simonta
Had real stability problems. Freezing on boot or freezing shortly after. Managed to unerclock to 1 ghz.

Any ideas why this would happen to my device?

Because making chips has a high error rate (meaning lots of waste). Chips are designed to run at a certain speed, say 1.5GHz. The manufacturer sets an "acceptable" failure rate, say 5%. They test the chips on the production line, and if 10% fail at 1.5GHz, they test again at 1.4GHz. If 8% fail, they test again at 1.3GHz and so it goes. Eventually, they settle on a speed which meets the failure rate. So some chips will overclock, some won't. Have to say though that a 50% increase is pushing it....I've explained why on the "how fast can a Vega go thread".

Guest doireabu
Because making chips has a high error rate (meaning lots of waste). Chips are designed to run at a certain speed, say 1.5GHz. The manufacturer sets an "acceptable" failure rate, say 5%. They test the chips on the production line, and if 10% fail at 1.5GHz, they test again at 1.4GHz. If 8% fail, they test again at 1.3GHz and so it goes. Eventually, they settle on a speed which meets the failure rate. So some chips will overclock, some won't. Have to say though that a 50% increase is pushing it....I've explained why on the "how fast can a Vega go thread".

Thanks for that, no chance of a return then as its only meant to run at 1ghz.

Might try building up gradually, not sure if that wud even make a difference

Guest Remington Steale
Thanks for that, no chance of a return then as its only meant to run at 1ghz.

Might try building up gradually, not sure if that wud even make a difference

1.2ghz should be okay, but if you want to be entirely safe (and possibly more stable) set it to 1ghz