[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest unclebob31
Had the same thing happen (only 12mb left on internal storage) so had a look and found the following:-

As you may or may not know when a process in android crashes it creates an tombstone file located in "data/tombstones" usually named "tombstone_00", the 00 increases for each file created (i think thats the way it works anyway).

When I looked in this folder I found about 6 files most were a couple of hundred kb in size but I had one at around 250mb (guess where all my space was).

I deleted the files in the directory (does not seem to effect system, unlesss someone knows different) went back into settings/applications and internal storage jumped from 12mb to over 200mb.

As vegacomb is beta the number of force close/crashes is probably higher than normal so I would suggest checking this directory as it could be where your file storage is disappearing.

Hope this helps.

Tombstone files

Ok I have a rooted tablet and can access and delete these files quickly.

They are simply debugging scripts created when apps fail.

Could this be one of the reasons that the lockups and FCs start after a while and then increase in frequency until a restore is needed?

Any way manually deleted and tablet became immediately more responsive.

Investigations led me to this:

http://forum.samdroid.net/f55/relocate-dal...-up-space-1117/

and

http://www.equk.co.uk/2010/06/relocate-dal...t-losing-speed/

Which is a move of the Dlvik Cache to improve performance...however there is also a script to clean out tombstones on reboots

https://github.com/equk/Android/blob/master.../sd/userinit.sh

# remove debugger memory dumps

busybox rm -rf /data/tombstones/*

I will manually delete my tombstone files and report back here if there is any improvements.

In the meantime can anyone that knows more about all this take this further?

Perhaps add the commands to init.d so on reboots it clears automatically?

Help would be needed here as at my limit of scripting/unix/etc

UB31

Edited by unclebob31

Guest xathras
Had the same thing happen (only 12mb left on internal storage) so had a look and found the following:-

As you may or may not know when a process in android crashes it creates an tombstone file located in "data/tombstones" usually named "tombstone_00", the 00 increases for each file created (i think thats the way it works anyway).

When I looked in this folder I found about 6 files most were a couple of hundred kb in size but I had one at around 250mb (guess where all my space was).

I deleted the files in the directory (does not seem to effect system, unlesss someone knows different) went back into settings/applications and internal storage jumped from 12mb to over 200mb.

As vegacomb is beta the number of force close/crashes is probably higher than normal so I would suggest checking this directory as it could be where your file storage is disappearing.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for this very useful piece of information (I'd never heard of "tombstone" files). I'm even looking forward to my next lock-up so I can go looking for "tombstones"!

Guest brucelee666

Following on from my tombstone post, I did not want to post instructions incase this caused problems but reading above posts here are options.

But if you want to do this you can (will need root and su access which you should have):-

Use root explorer (allow superuser) goto "data/tombstones" directory and delete files.

or Download terminal emulator from market its free, once in get superuser access:-

Type su press enter (in superuser mode)

Type cd data/tombstones (you are now in the directory)

Type ls press enter (get a list of all tombstone files)

Type rm * press enter (all files deleted, or rm then filename to delete individual file)

Type exit press enter (out of superuser mode)

Finished exit terminal app

or There is a file in "system/etc" called shuttle_ins.sh which I think is run at the end of the init.rc (boot/startup), now if you edit that file and at the very bottom on a new line enter the line on the above post:-

Then save and exit the file if done in root explorer or however you would normally edit and save text files or adb push edited file.

The last option means that everytime you boot/start vega it will remove any files in "data/tombstones".

Again this may only be part of the problem and not a solution but quick fix so if you want - You try any of these methods at your own risk and usual disclaimer apply if you run into problems, i have tried all 3 options without a problem so you should be ok.

Guest lilmonkey
Following on from my tombstone post, I did not want to post instructions incase this caused problems but reading above posts here are options.

But if you want to do this you can (will need root and su access which you should have):-

Use root explorer (allow superuser) goto "data/tombstones" directory and delete files.

or Download terminal emulator from market its free, once in get superuser access:-

Type su press enter (in superuser mode)

Type cd data/tombstones (you are now in the directory)

Type ls press enter (get a list of all tombstone files)

Type rm * press enter (all files deleted, or rm then filename to delete individual file)

Type exit press enter (out of superuser mode)

Finished exit terminal app

or There is a file in "system/etc" called shuttle_ins.sh which I think is run at the end of the init.rc (boot/startup), now if you edit that file and at the very bottom on a new line enter the line on the above post:-

Then save and exit the file if done in root explorer or however you would normally edit and save text files or adb push edited file.

The last option means that everytime you boot/start vega it will remove any files in "data/tombstones".

Again this may only be part of the problem and not a solution but quick fix so if you want - You try any of these methods at your own risk and usual disclaimer apply if you run into problems, i have tried all 3 options without a problem so you should be ok.

Could this be doen with a "Gscript" script (to make life easier for people just wanting to run a clean up operation)?

Guest simonta
Could this be doen with a "Gscript" script (to make life easier for people just wanting to run a clean up operation)?

Of course. A script is just a text file containing commands you would otherwise type in. Create a new script in Gscript then enter the commands as shown above :)

Guest Remington Steale
Of course. A script is just a text file containing commands you would otherwise type in. Create a new script in Gscript then enter the commands as shown above :)

I think that may have a been a roundabout way of asking if someone has a script for it, along with instructions.............

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest markinton

Brucelee666, you, sir, are a Zulu warrior!

Internal memory shot up last night, Vega crippled. Found tomestone file, which had ballooned to 230 Mb, deleted files and we're back in the room.

It would be interesting to try to work out if there is a specific event or class if event which generates the large tomestone file. May tell us something fundamental.

M

Guest le_lutin

Just tweeted by Newbe:

Zebwen Richard Horsley

VegaComb users: The new version of Opera Mobile works with Flash in VegaComb, still got some ghosting issues in video, but its a step up! :)

Guest brucelee666
Brucelee666, you, sir, are a Zulu warrior!

Internal memory shot up last night, Vega crippled. Found tomestone file, which had ballooned to 230 Mb, deleted files and we're back in the room.

It would be interesting to try to work out if there is a specific event or class if event which generates the large tomestone file. May tell us something fundamental.

M

Glad the information helped you.

For those asking about gscript, not used it before but installed gscript lite (free on market) so if you want to use this method:-

Open gscript and select add script.

Give it a name, leave "needs su" ticked then in box below type "busybox rm -rf /data/tombstones/*" click save

Will now be added to your list of scripts, to run select it allow superuser access it will run then close gscript job done (will show "stderror:" but does not seem to stop it working)

Have added above script to post if you want to download then copy to gscript folder on your sdcard on vega, then again add script but this time select load file taked you to contents of sdcard folder, select "Remove Tombstones.sh" then select save, script now added to your gscript install.

(You will have to unzip sh file from zip before copying to sdcard)

Remove_Tombstones.zip

Guest spacecadetuk
Just tweeted by Newbe:

Zebwen Richard Horsley

VegaComb users: The new version of Opera Mobile works with Flash in VegaComb, still got some ghosting issues in video, but its a step up! :)

just been trying it out, not my favorite browser but certainly the best browser to use with vegacomb, no crashes so far, the stock browser crashed a lot, dolphinhd less so but still on a regular basis on certain sites but opera has been rock solid so far, i was using the hacked flash version but after installing opera thought i'd try the one from the marketplace and all seems well, still get a green band at the bottom of the screen in iplayer but at least it works :-)

Guest HypoTurtle
Just tweeted by Newbe:

Zebwen Richard Horsley

Yea had a play with hulu last night and can confirm the ghosting occurs due to the quality of video it's attempting to produce, in hulu when the quality is set to default (360p) there is ghosting and when at 288p there is none so it just seems that atm most sites are using too high a quality of flash video or we could hope to get a quality setting for iplayer et al. And confirmed with youtube at 240p, does anyone know the ghosting limit just for reference.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest gazza0210

Hi guys,

Im loving the look of the vegacomb system but have one question, how do u install it, ive downloaded it but cant work out how to get it onto the vega. I have the modaco v8 rom on my vega at the moment but want to try the vegacomb rom.

Any help appreciated guys.

Guest HypoTurtle
Hi guys,

Im loving the look of the vegacomb system but have one question, how do u install it, ive downloaded it but cant work out how to get it onto the vega. I have the modaco v8 rom on my vega at the moment but want to try the vegacomb rom.

Any help appreciated guys.

I take it you've only used R8 before which is pretty much an automated install, for vegacomb (and most other roms and backups) are installed through recovery mode, had a quick look at the R8 tread as haven't used it fro while and you should have a recovery app installed, this app I've found can be hit or miss but give it a try and see if it gets you into CWM recovery mode (may take several minutes) if this doesn't work you can try installing ROM manager and using that to get into CWM recovery, agan some people have issues with ROm manager so you may need to push a recovery image to the device.

When in recovery you'll want to use the hard buttons to perform a factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache (in advanced menu) the select install zip from sdcard and locate the vegacomb zip file on the sdcard and select it, obviously before installing a new rom you should create a backup in CWM and/or Titanium backup.

Guest leemain88

is anyone experiencing force closes with the facebook app on 1.6 ??? not sure if there is a certain version to use.

thanks in advance

Guest gazmon2424
Newbe5 just tweeted that he has had to flash alpha4 to test something, it sounds like good news :)

flash 10.3 from market is working fine in latest opera mobile and vegacomb 1.6, just installed and all working good.................theres a green bar across the bottom of you tube streams which is apparent but other streaming videos sites fine

Edited by gazmon2424

Guest xathras

I've just tried out my latest toy on VegaComb for the first time. It's a Freecom Tough Drive 500GB (drop tested to 2 metres). It works fine, but sometimes when booting the Vega into USB host mode and then inserting the drive it works (I can see it in the notification bar) and sometimes not. I've also tried inserting the drive and then booting into host mode. It works (I can find it in file manager) but nothing shows in the notification bar. The blue LED on the drive flickers when the Vega finds it.

I've played music and a movie from it with no trouble with the Vega plugged into the charger and unplugged, but no doubt it will drain the battery fairly quickly when unplugged. I think the correct procedure would be to copy movies to the SD card and play them from there.

All my music and most of my movies in my pocket. :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

post-797214-1309725666_thumb.jpg

post-797214-1309725678_thumb.jpg

post-797214-1309725688_thumb.jpg

post-797214-1309725697_thumb.jpg

Guest brucelee666

For newbe5:-

Seeing as your usb cable is broke, had a look at opera flash green bar ghosting problem, and found the following.

A file in system/lib name "libstagefrighthw.so" is only 6kb in beta1.6 but is 18kb in alpha4.

So I replaced the 6kb file with the 18kb file fixed permissions and owner.

Went into opera then went to youtube and green bar and ghosting gone, can now watch crystal clear videos from 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p on youtube with opera (videos also play in honeycomb browser but still have to make full screen).

Not sure if it was working before but iplayer, itvplayer and channel 4 on demand also worked in opera.

240p still low resolution.

360p green bar and ghosting gone.

480p for me was just garbage before could not see any image but now crystal clear.

720p and 1080p will play image and sound fine but is jumpy, 720p probably watchable.

Not sure if this will break anything else as have only tested flash in browser and it fixed this problem.

I have attached the file if someone wants to try replacing the file themselves just unzip then copy to system/lib folder and replace the file already there (just remember to fix owner and permissions) - this would be for further testing only and not everyone should do this incase it messes up your system.

Hope this helps until you get back to testing.

libstagefrighthw.zip

Edited by brucelee666

Guest HunteronX

@brucelee666

Thanks very much. :)

The file allows me to watch youtube videos without the green bar problem, but there is a issue with lines appearing on the screen, and the colour range seems to low (you can see colour banding).

Also, the aspect ratio of video playback (and the flash player, e.g. Youtube player) seems to be the same as in Android 2.2, which didn't have the notification and on-screen button bar at the bottom. Could this bar be hideen at all, or could the flash video playback be resized to fit our screens (screen space minus the bar)?

Edited by HunteronX

Guest newbe5

Seeing as your usb cable is broke, had a look at opera flash green bar ghosting problem, and found the following.

A file in system/lib name "libstagefrighthw.so" is only 6kb in beta1.6 but is 18kb in alpha4.

So I replaced the 6kb file with the 18kb file fixed permissions and owner.

Went into opera then went to youtube and green bar and ghosting gone, can now watch crystal clear videos from 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p on youtube with opera (videos also play in honeycomb browser but still have to make full screen).

Not sure if it was working before but iplayer, itvplayer and channel 4 on demand also worked in opera.

240p still low resolution.

360p green bar and ghosting gone.

480p for me was just garbage before could not see any image but now crystal clear.

720p and 1080p will play image and sound fine but is jumpy, 720p probably watchable.

Not sure if this will break anything else as have only tested flash in browser and it fixed this problem.

I have attached the file if someone wants to try replacing the file themselves just unzip then copy to system/lib folder and replace the file already there (just remember to fix owner and permissions) - this would be for further testing only and not everyone should do this incase it messes up your system.

Hope this helps until you get back to testing.

Haha! Yep, this is the same thing I was doing when my stupid cable broke! :rolleyes: There are also some other files which we need to play with, but this is a damn good start :) thanks for picking up testing while I'm incapable mate! Keep it going! If you find anything further be sure to let me know! This will DEFINITELY be in the next update, great work! I will hopefully be getting my cables soon, so I can jump back in and get it working!

newbe5

Guest SWOriginal

Had a hunch this was to do with stage fright (same problem with zte blade 2.2),

@Brucelee666

Could you test the YouTube app from a few betas ago (the unfixed one) to see if HQ and HD videos play well?

Guest le_lutin

Great work sir!

Guest Geishaboi

Just a little something I noticed on performance:

I've been a little miffed with the vega, having played with the iconia and xoom in the shops and found the general honeycomb UI to be faster, smoother and more responsive than on my tablet running vegacomb, despite similar hardware specs... So I've been trying to find the reason for it.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the biggest performance killer is the background data stuff, especially with regards to email. Turn that off/kill the gmail app and all of a sudden it performs much better.

That said it never quite got a smooth as the other tablets, which still vexed me, given how well samurai 2 runs, it's clearly not a slow tablet.

Last night I installed a live wallpaper, and all of a sudden the performance improved, and I'm now seeing the vega as smooth as the iconia and xoom on the main UI (launcher) - previously I had a 1400x900 jpg as the scrolling background, whereas this new live wallpaper, whilst it animates, doesn't scroll.

I don't know if that is a memory issue or just a lack or horsepower/acceleration to scroll the entire image, but whatever it is it definately seems that killing background data and setting a wallpaper that doesn't scroll makes a massive difference to the overall smoothness of the UI, and really does bring it in line with the rest of the 10-inch HC tablets out there performance wise.

Guest wobblydoggy

argh accidentally deleted the wrong 2mb stagefright file could anyone please upload think it is 1.97mb in system/lib

now my flash wont work, completely my own fault but cba reinstalling vcomb

Edited by wobblydoggy