[ROM] VegaComb 3.2 - by TeamNewCo and TeamVillain

Guest newbe5

Guest Yogimax
Can anyone tell me what combination of programs, settings, etc I need to run Iplayer on Vegacomb? I've downloaded it and think it's a great rom, but I want to use BBC Iplayer on it.

If you use the latest version of Opera mobile along with the latest version of Flash and set the user agent on Opera to be Desktop, the iPlayer website will work OK.

Unless you update one of the files in the system/lib folder to the correct version as discussed on the previous page, you will get a green band along the bottom of your display, but it is still totally usable.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/xq2Zvod

Guest ursulavasey
If you use the latest version of Opera mobile along with the latest version of Flash and set the user agent on Opera to be Desktop, the iPlayer website will work OK.

Unless you update one of the files in the system/lib folder to the correct version as discussed on the previous page, you will get a green band along the bottom of your display, but it is still totally usable.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/xq2Zvod

Cheers for that Yogimax. I hadn't changed the Opera Mobile browser agent to desktop (now done). I have downloaded the stagefright fix to my computer, to sort out the green bar, but I can't find the system/lib folder in which I need to copy it, replacing the one that is there now.

Guest HypoTurtle
Cheers for that Yogimax. I hadn't changed the Opera Mobile browser agent to desktop (now done). I have downloaded the stagefright fix to my computer, to sort out the green bar, but I can't find the system/lib folder in which I need to copy it, replacing the one that is there now.

The file isn't on the SD card, the way i installed it is through adb. Enter "adb push C:\desktop\libstagefrighthw.so /system/lib/" , that should move and replace it, not sure if permissions need to be changed but I ran Fix Permissions in ROM manager anyway and seems to work fine.

Edit: you can see the folder in file explorer if you want to check it was replaced correctly

Yogimax and anyone else using dropbox as signatures, I believe it's actually 2.25GB to new users if you sign up through a referral so thats an extra incentive to use one. And I'm thinking of setting up a spideroak account so anyone with a referral let me know.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest ursulavasey
The file isn't on the SD card, the way i installed it is through adb. Enter "adb push C:\desktop\libstagefrighthw.so /system/lib/" , that should move and replace it, not sure if permissions need to be changed but I ran Fix Permissions in ROM manager anyway and seems to work fine.

Edit: you can see the folder in file explorer if you want to check it was replaced correctly

Yogimax and anyone else using dropbox as signatures, I believe it's actually 2.25GB to new users if you sign up through a referral so thats an extra incentive to use one. And I'm thinking of setting up a spideroak account so anyone with a referral let me know.

I've never altered things through ADB, so I wouldn't know where to look to do that. I used adb to get the drivers on my system, but have never directly accessed the ADB area of the system.

Guest HypoTurtle
I've never altered things through ADB, so I wouldn't know where to look to do that. I used adb to get the drivers on my system, but have never directly accessed the ADB area of the system.

I haven't much either (it may be possible to use a root explorer (???), to copy the file from sd to the system); all you need to do is hold shift and right click on the platform-tools folder in your sdk-android file / or any file containing adb.exe and select open command window here.

Then have debugging enabled on the vega and connected to the PC via USB without enabling USB storage and type "adb devices" into the command prompt to make sure it's connected then use the command as above, i.e.

"adb push (File location using \) system/lib/" If it is sending the file you will see a transfer speed and the file size transferred.

Edit: The file only seems to fix the ghosting on videos over 240p in quality (still need full screen in browsers other than Opera Mobile (had a hunch a few weeks ago that part of the blame for the flash issue was non-HC/hardware accelerated browsers), so adding it isn't a major issue and I'm sure it'll be in the next release; along with many other fixes, in whatever form.

I wouldn't mind an NVFlash release, currently having an issue with the soft home button so may need to do a full flash anyway

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest xathras

There is another way to do this that doesn't use adb; the whole thing can be done using "Root Explorer", which is a superuser file manager that allows you to move, copy, delete, rename and change the permissions of any file on the Vega. It used to be free, but alas no longer (find it in the market). IMHO the 2 essential paid apps are Root Explorer and Titanium Backup Pro.

If you decide to use this method then install and start Root Explorer. Navigate to the /system/lib folder. In the top left-hand corner of the window click on "mount r/w" (mount folder as read and write) so you can perform the move. Find the original libstagefrightw.so and rename it to libstagefrightw.so.old (so you can reverse the operation if things don't pan out). Click on it and select properties. Note which permission boxes are ticked. Now copy the new libstagefrightw.so from wherever you downloaded it to and paste it into the /system/lib folder. Click on it and select properties. Change the permission tick boxes to match the original file. The last thing to do is go back to the left-hand top of the window and click on "mount r/o" (make the folder read only again).

Something obvious I just thought of. The quickest way to do this is to download a terminal emulator from the market (free) and learn some basic Linux commands.

Edited by xathras

Guest brucelee666
There is another way to do this that doesn't use adb; the whole thing can be done using "Root Explorer", which is a superuser file manager that allows you to move, copy, delete, rename and change the permissions of any file on the Vega. It used to be free, but alas no longer (find it in the market). IMHO the 2 essential paid apps are Root Explorer and Titanium Backup Pro.

If you decide to use this method then install and start Root Explorer. Navigate to the /system/lib folder. In the top left-hand corner of the window click on "mount r/w" (mount folder as read and write) so you can perform the move. Find the original libstagefrightw.so and rename it to libstagefrightw.so.old (so you can reverse the operation if things don't pan out). Click on it and select properties. Note which permission boxes are ticked. Now copy the new libstagefrightw.so from wherever you downloaded it to and paste it into the /system/lib folder. Click on it and select properties. Change the permission tick boxes to match the original file. The last thing to do is go back to the left-hand top of the window and click on "mount r/o" (make the folder read only again).

Something obvious I just thought of. The quickest way to do this is to download a terminal emulator from the market (free) and learn some basic Linux commands.

Also change owner on file in root explorer to "0- root, 0 - root" to match the original file, permissions were "owner - read and write", "Group - read", "Others - Read".

Guest HypoTurtle

I though a root explorer could be used just couldn't confirm it, have just used ES File Manager (which is free) and it has a beta root option (root explorer + mount file system), (I just renamed a file to test and it worked).

Terminal just slipped my mind, gettin tired me thinks;

So I'm not quite thinking straight but;

Put file somewhere on SDcard (remember where)

In Terminal (android terminal emulator for example) enter "su" then confirm root access

the type "mv -f mnt/sdcard/libstagefrighthw.so system/lib/"

You could use -i instead of -f if you want to be prompted before the overwrite.

Feel free someone to correct me if I'm wrong... does the system need to be mounted first ???

EDIT: Had a further play around with ES File Manager and it does the job brilliantly, can see it getting a lot of use in the near future.

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest Cardblower

Wow, changing libstagefrighthw.so has not only helped flash, it's fixed an issue I have with the Vulkano app (TV streaming). It used to run at a slow motion speed and was unusable.

Now it works flawless !!

We done guys.

One problem that I do have, and I cant find a way around it is the Search button in Market. It is so unresponsive I spend a long time pressing until it responds.

Anyone else have this issue ? and possibly have a fix?

Great work team !!

Truly amazing work!

regards

Andy.

Guest HypoTurtle
Wow, changing libstagefrighthw.so has not only helped flash, it's fixed an issue I have with the Vulkano app (TV streaming). It used to run at a slow motion speed and was unusable.

Now it works flawless !!

We done guys.

One problem that I do have, and I cant find a way around it is the Search button in Market. It is so unresponsive I spend a long time pressing until it responds.

Anyone else have this issue ? and possibly have a fix?

Great work team !!

Truly amazing work!

regards

Andy.

Have you tried running the screen calibration app; I haven't any issue with the search button and haven't seen anyone else mention it for weeks.

Guest Cardblower
Have you tried running the screen calibration app; I haven't any issue with the search button and haven't seen anyone else mention it for weeks.

Hi, Yes, I ran the calibration app after installing VegaComb, and I've just run it again, same results.

The "My apps" button works fine, it's just the "search Market", really odd...especially if nobody else is suffering.....

Guest HypoTurtle
Hi, Yes, I ran the calibration app after installing VegaComb, and I've just run it again, same results.

The "My apps" button works fine, it's just the "search Market", really odd...especially if nobody else is suffering.....

Probably won't do anything but run Fix Permissions in ROM Manager, also my keyboard seems to appear quicker when I select further down on the "search Market" text bar, if you look closely you can see the full bar.

Guest ursulavasey
I though a root explorer could be used just couldn't confirm it, have just used ES File Manager (which is free) and it has a beta root option (root explorer + mount file system), (I just renamed a file to test and it worked).

Terminal just slipped my mind, gettin tired me thinks;

So I'm not quite thinking straight but;

Put file somewhere on SDcard (remember where)

In Terminal (android terminal emulator for example) enter "su" then confirm root access

the type "mv -f mnt/sdcard/libstagefrighthw.so system/lib/"

You could use -i instead of -f if you want to be prompted before the overwrite.

Feel free someone to correct me if I'm wrong... does the system need to be mounted first ???

EDIT: Had a further play around with ES File Manager and it does the job brilliantly, can see it getting a lot of use in the near future.

I downloaded terminal emulator, which I have used before on the R8 rom to alter files, etc. I have the stagefright files on the root directory of my sd - not in any subfolders, just directly on the root. I ran terminal emulator, copyin the commands you detailed above (mv -f mnt, etc) but the terminal emulator said that the stagefright files could not be located on the sd card. I tried to locate es file manager in the market, but I couldn't find it. Now I am stuck.

Guest Remington Steale
I downloaded terminal emulator, which I have used before on the R8 rom to alter files, etc. I have the stagefright files on the root directory of my sd - not in any subfolders, just directly on the root. I ran terminal emulator, copyin the commands you detailed above (mv -f mnt, etc) but the terminal emulator said that the stagefright files could not be located on the sd card. I tried to locate es file manager in the market, but I couldn't find it. Now I am stuck.

Buy and Download Root Explorer, it is by far the simplest way to edit and overwrite existing system files.

Its not that expensive (£2.49) but if you copy and paste this search into google you will see root explorer and es file explorer on the page, you can then download es to your device if you prefer: https://market.android.com/search?q=root+ex...so=1&c=apps

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest Cardblower
Probably won't do anything but run Fix Permissions in ROM Manager, also my keyboard seems to appear quicker when I select further down on the "search Market" text bar, if you look closely you can see the full bar.

Already had tried that as well.

Thanks for the help so far, I'll keep trying to find a fix.....

Guest ursulavasey
Buy and Download Root Explorer, it is by far the simplest way to edit and overwrite existing system files.

Its not that expensive (£2.49) but if you copy and paste this search into google you will see root explorer and es file explorer on the page, you can then download es to your device if you prefer: https://market.android.com/search?q=root+ex...so=1&c=apps

How can I alter the permissions in the stagefright files, as they are read only and need to be read/write to allow them to be moved/edited/deleted, etc?

Guest HypoTurtle
How can I alter the permissions in the stagefright files, as they are read only and need to be read/write to allow them to be moved/edited/deleted, etc?

Thats the point of needing a root explorer rather than the stock file explorer, if you have ES File Explorer installed (apologies for misnaming it earlier) Bring up the menu (4th soft button on bottom) then select Setting, scroll to the bottom and select Root options, the select Root Explorer and Mount File System.

Then the permissions can be changed by long pressing on the file and selecting the bottom option (permissions).

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest Remington Steale
Thats the point of needing a root explorer rather than the stock file explorer, if you have ES File Explorer installed (apologies for misnaming it earlier) Bring up the menu (4th soft button on bottom) then select Setting, scroll to the bottom and select Root options, the select Root Explorer and Mount File System.

Or if you got root explorer, there is a button at the top that says mount r/w, which allows you to overwrite, then same as ES long press to bring up permissions editing.

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest ursulavasey
Or if you got root explorer, there is a button at the top that says mount r/w, which allows you to overwrite, then same as ES long press to bring up permissions editing.

It's all sorted now. I changed the permissions using es file explorer, then tried to play the video. It said it couldn't play, as I didn't have Adobe Flash installed. Flash was there, but it didn't seem to link with Iplayer. I fixed that by deleting Adobe Flash, and reinstalling it again. What complicated things further (but was easy to fix) was that the clock was running at GMT, rather than BST, so it was an hour slow. Everything is sorted now and the Iplayer video is playing perfectly on my Vega now.

Thank you so much for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. It shows what a brilliant community we have here in Modaco. Everyone is working to achieve the same result; to get the best out of our kit and use it to its fullest ability.

Guest WWEpsp

I have a problem with market, it pop ups a message saying Server Error. I read some market solutions and saw people wiping dalvik or removing google account. I've just removed google account but everytime i try to register my google account on the Vega it cant connect to the google servers...

has anyone pass through this?

Guest Jisonga

Just checked out newbie5 latest tweet with link to YouTube video of version 1.7 of vegacomb.

Mate its look good and I will be installing it just as soon as it hits the forums.

Thanks for your and the teams hard work on improving this Rom again.

Jason.

Guest Algie
Just checked out newbie5 latest tweet with link to YouTube video of version 1.7 of vegacomb.

Mate its look good and I will be installing it just as soon as it hits the forums.

Jason.

Link to Youtube video 1.7

Back to Vegacomb for me. Been waiting for flash to work. :blink:

Guest Drat2

Jason.

I can't access twitter or youtube from work, could you give a summary of the changes please?

Thanks!

Guest Jisonga

It was more of a showcase rather than a run down of new features.

The main point of the video was to show YouTube app working and iplayer in opera browser working. I think he is leaving the full 1.7 specs for his new posts or topics for Rom when it goes live.

Jason.

Guest Jisonga

Newbie just a thought has the new changes sorted out the very tinny sounds when playing back any kind of video content.

Jason.