MCR discussion: battery life

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Guest ilos
I have a workaround that might interest some. ;)

I have also experienced high battery power consumption, both on stock and with FrXX, particularly when the phone is in standby.

I am presently on Fr16 which is definitely the best balanced ROM for speed and stability so far. Have been running Fr16 from the day it was released and so far no reboots or lockups.

BUT, the power consumption is still a problem. I do not believe it is only the Dialer causing the problem, but it certainly does appear on Fr16 as Paul himself has observed. I have only seen it appear once in the 2 days since I have been running it. Have not seen it since.

Using Battery Monitor Widget to record battery use, it appears that the phone never fully goes to sleep. Even when Dialer is not appearing in Partial Wake use, there is something drawing an abnormal amount of power while the phone is supposedly in standby. My hunch is that there is a problem with power management in the ROM in relation to its ability to fully go to sleep, or some errant processes (Dialer being one) that refuse to shut down when they are supposed to.

So while waiting for someone much more intelligent than myself to fix the root cause, I have developed the following workaround to try to control power consumption when the phone should be asleep.

What I use are two apps, Tasker and Fast Reboot, both available from market

Besides it being indispensible for numerous automation tasks that I have setup, I have been using Tasker to try to shut everything down that could consume power while the phone is not being used, such as data connections and so on. But this still did not stop the power drain while the phone was supposedly in standby (see screenshot) - typically there would still be between 20 and 80 mA being consumed while the screen was off. I discovered that by using Fast Reboot, I could get power consumption down to 1 to 2 mA. If I did this just before the display turns off, it would remain in this 'deep sleep' state, consuming just 1 to 2 mA until I turn the display on again (see screenshot). So, my workaround is to automate this process using Tasker. The Tasker screenshot shows you how I have done this. Essentially, it detects 2 simultaneous contexts - battery power and display turned off - before it executes Fast Reboot. I am not too worried if there are power consuming processes going on when the power cable is connected, which is why I use the battery context - I download videocasts during the night when the phone is connected to power, so I don't want Fast Reboot causing problems with the podcaster.

I have been testing this setup rigorously for a day now - turning the display off and on regularly and leaving it to sleep for longer periods to see if any power consuming processes will reawaken - and so far so good. Going by the power consumption graphs, it looks like I can guarantee I will use minimal power when the phone display is off. So far there has been no ill effect on things that run in the background such as messaging, email, missed calls, theft aware, LED notification, etc. Messages still come through, theft aware is still responding, missed calls register, and LED notification still works.

Anyway, hope this is of help while we wait for a permanent solution.

Cheers

Andrew

PS. One circumstantial advantage of using Fast Reboot in this way is that you are always recovering memory whenever the phone goes into standby :P

i'm using this method too and it's perfect !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest orlox

Battery is fine. Proof? 20% in 24 hours

how?

all off ;)

What I mean

Sync off - no elixir - widgets on manual refresh - no fring - no im+ - wireless off - 2g only - no use at all in a 2 line reception area.

Thats with 05 baseband and fr18 beta 2.

Next step is to start opening things ^^

Edited by orlox

Guest okdac
Battery is fine. Proof? 20% in 24 hours

how?

all off ;)

What I mean

Sync off - no elixir - widgets on manual refresh - no fring - no im+ - wireless off - 2g only - no use at all in a 2 line reception area.

Thats with 05 baseband and fr18 beta 2.

Next step is to start opening things ^^

All off ? Even the phone...I guess, that way, we can start to last weeks over weeks... :P

okdac

ok here my experience :

i tried latest stock v10c ( mkv support , new basbeband 606 with his RIL... ) and charged my phone @ 100% and put it in flight mode before sleep and résult is : lost 20% in 6H

i tried stock v10b + new baseband 606 and his RIL , charged my phone @ 100% and put it in flight mode before sleep and résult is : still 100% after 7h30

i don't need mkv support so i think i will stay with v10b + latest baseband and RIL :)

both have libsqlite patch but no oc/uv kernel

Edited by ilos

Guest chong01

My battery life had been bad for a long time, dropping ~10% during idle. This is with 3G on, sync to goggle and whatsapp active, background data enabled, google location enabled.

This week I started to monitor the "Battery history" in Spare Parts, and I was surprised to see some apps using Sensor every second after launch, even in the background! I froze/killed them all, and now I get 2% battery drop during idle! This is with all the above data features running, and now I can easily make it through a workday (9am-5pm) with more than 65% charge left! This is on MCR FR19 beta 2, baseband 0606/0614.

Here's the list of apps using the sensor every second once executed, even when put to background:

1. Swype 3.0 beta (Swype)

2. LG 2X/Black Notifications

3. LG Keyboard

4. SMS Key

I'm very surprised that a popular keyboard like swype, and even the default LG keyboard have this problem - in fact I am wondering whether the problems lie with the apps, or LG's sensor code in ROM.

I've also not had any random reboots these 2 days, but it's too early to tell.

Edited by chong01

Guest goatee

:) I'm losing just under 2% an hour with a half dozen calls, Gmail, Twitter, What's App, and Exchange syncing each hour. 3G, no wi-fi, and Green Power to toggle my data. After 27 hours, I've still got 47% left. I'm delighted with that!

Beat this:

4d 5h on battery. 26% left

Guest Involver

I've just posted this in another topic, I've tested battery life with and without undervolt/underclock. If anyone is interested in the results are in this post... UV/UC Batterylife test

Edited by Involver

Guest SuperSkill
with juice defender installed my battery barely makes it to 20hours, Once juicedefender is uninstalled my battery regularly makes to past the 40 hour mark. So for me it's better to uninstall juice defender as that also caused the only few lockups/reboots I have had.

My experiance with juicedefender is also that it causes random reboots several times a day. After uninstalling the ultimate version my o2x behaves much better. JD might be good for some android phones but not the Optimus 2x. Dont use it if you want a stable phoneexperiance. Lgs software is also bad for this model and we are all happy for Pauls work here. Keep it up Paul, you are way better than LG and thanx for supporting this (now) beautiful phone.

Guest dave_a

I have just come back from a 2 week trip to USA and although I had data switched off, only sent a couple of sms a day, maybe a short phone call, using wifi over breakfast and 10min of gaming, the phone would last 3 days no problem on the AT&T network. Compared to what I was getting in UK, this was amazing! In UK I would just about last a day if I didn't use the phone much with all sync and exchange email switched off although data was on. Even switching to 2G in UK (I was only using 2G in USA) didn't help considerably.

I get back to UK and see FR19 and hope my battery issues are going to be improved but again I am struggling to get a day out of the phone with hardly using it. When I see the small battery drain that some people are reporting, I just can't understand it. Anyone who has seen my previous posts will see that I have tested with no apps, no data etc. but still the same.

So my next question is whether it is the network and something about this phone that doesn't like Orange? Maybe it only likes the frequencies other networks use? Anyone else on Orange having good battery life? I am tempted to put my work vodafone sim in there for a day to try it out although i currently don't have data enabled on that.

Guest mirsadm
I have just come back from a 2 week trip to USA and although I had data switched off, only sent a couple of sms a day, maybe a short phone call, using wifi over breakfast and 10min of gaming, the phone would last 3 days no problem on the AT&T network. Compared to what I was getting in UK, this was amazing! In UK I would just about last a day if I didn't use the phone much with all sync and exchange email switched off although data was on. Even switching to 2G in UK (I was only using 2G in USA) didn't help considerably.

I get back to UK and see FR19 and hope my battery issues are going to be improved but again I am struggling to get a day out of the phone with hardly using it. When I see the small battery drain that some people are reporting, I just can't understand it. Anyone who has seen my previous posts will see that I have tested with no apps, no data etc. but still the same.

So my next question is whether it is the network and something about this phone that doesn't like Orange? Maybe it only likes the frequencies other networks use? Anyone else on Orange having good battery life? I am tempted to put my work vodafone sim in there for a day to try it out although i currently don't have data enabled on that.

I was getting average battery life recently and ended up uninstalling every application which had a service. Beautiful widgets, skype etc. Now the battery is great again. I am up to 15 hours and around 45 mins display time and its down to 70%. I'll install the apps individually over time and determine which one is keeping the phone awake.

Guest abwyatt
I was getting average battery life recently and ended up uninstalling every application which had a service. Beautiful widgets, skype etc. Now the battery is great again. I am up to 15 hours and around 45 mins display time and its down to 70%. I'll install the apps individually over time and determine which one is keeping the phone awake.

Excellent approach! If more people with battery problems were to take your approach, they will find that the ROM caused battery problems are long gone. I have not had any battery drain problems since before FR18 Beta2.

Edited by abwyatt

Guest Shadowman19

Is less than 3 hours display time good for a modern phone? I am getting about the same value, but am not too satisfied with it.

Guest arronov
My experiance with juicedefender is also that it causes random reboots several times a day. After uninstalling the ultimate version my o2x behaves much better. JD might be good for some android phones but not the Optimus 2x. Dont use it if you want a stable phoneexperiance. Lgs software is also bad for this model and we are all happy for Pauls work here. Keep it up Paul, you are way better than LG and thanx for supporting this (now) beautiful phone.

strangely, i've using JD (v3.5.6) in my optimus 2x too, and it worked perfectly (doesn't reboot and any other unstable problem)... maybe it just lucky? i'm using stock rom v10b (asia)

this is my o2x (dumped from whatsapp log):

Product: lge_star

Manufacturer: lge

Model: LG-P990

Device: p990

Brand: lge

Build: FRG83G

Kernel: 2.6.32.9 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Apr 21 00:35:05 IST 2011

and it wasn't rooted...

Edited by arronov

Guest dave_a

Maybe I spoke too soon, after 2 days of poor battery life, today I was down about 4% in 4 hours on standby with wifi accidentally left on, data on and gmail syncing and push email on but no use apart from this. Never had anything near as good as this, maybe the battery stats sorted themselves out after a couple of days. If this stays as it is, I will finally be happy with the battery life of this phone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c.joenie

Fr19, B622, using a lot of Wifi, 6 syncing acocunts, all sensors on, some gaming, limited 2G and 3G use and I lost 20% in 5 hours, (charged it via macbook, so with adapter i should have better results).

the biggest problem of this phone is for sure the battery usage. I can only have it 8/10 hours max during the day, hopeless. tried all basebands ever released, none of them really offered any improvement. also disabled even orientation/gestures, geo-location, most services, and just do some basic chatting, surfing and still it is hopeless.

The reason why I go on about radio's however is when I am on Wi-Fi the idle standby time increases dramatically. Did somebody else notice the same behaviour? I can easily have it stay on 100% for 6 hours of Wifi at home while sleeping, but on 3g this is impossible.

Also, when switching to 2g I do notice a huge improvement of battery-life, but it is just too slow for surfing the web or doing any browsing, and the switchtime of a minute or so is just too annoying. If it would be almost instant and there was a good switch for it that could change things a lot.

I'm thinking to replace this handset already after three months and get a GSII or something else well-built.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arronov

Yes in my experience, 3g/hsdpa make battery drain faster than with wifi only... and it depends to good or poorer 3g/hsdpa signal in my place to

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Guest marc1974

I noticed an improvement in battery life after changing the prefered network type in the hidden menu. Open the default dialer and select *#*#4636#*#*, select phone information and select GSM auto (PRL). I haven't really noticed any decrease in speed. Also check that the baseband and ril match with getRIL from the market.

Guest Sharcy

I've been on FR19 for a couple of weeks now and battery life was good initially but now it's draining rapidly. I'm seeing the Dialer issue in Partial Wake; even after a reboot when the dialer has not been touched yet.

Paul, did you consider this solved or are you sill looking at solutions?

marc1974, thanks for the tip, tried that, but not seeing any real effect in my case.

Guest Peterfdevries

the biggest problem of this phone is for sure the battery usage. I can only have it 8/10 hours max during the day, hopeless. tried all basebands ever released, none of them really offered any improvement. also disabled even orientation/gestures, geo-location, most services, and just do some basic chatting, surfing and still it is hopeless.

The reason why I go on about radio's however is when I am on Wi-Fi the idle standby time increases dramatically. Did somebody else notice the same behaviour? I can easily have it stay on 100% for 6 hours of Wifi at home while sleeping, but on 3g this is impossible.

Also, when switching to 2g I do notice a huge improvement of battery-life, but it is just too slow for surfing the web or doing any browsing, and the switchtime of a minute or so is just too annoying. If it would be almost instant and there was a good switch for it that could change things a lot.

I'm thinking to replace this handset already after three months and get a GSII or something else well-built.

I totally have the same issues. The battery for me, is the only problem. All the other thinks work great, thanks to Paul I guess

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flix123

Hi, I'm new here.

When the brightness is on 100% (sometimes Wlan on), my phone runs 4 hours when display is permanent on.

Is that normal or too little?

Edited by Flix123