Resetting Custom ROM Count and Warning Triangle

Guest Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

I can't see this news has been mentioned in here but the folks over at XDA have discovered that the USB Plug with a resistor soldered across two pins that could be used on the SGS to force the phone to boot into download mode has another role on the SGS2.

If you boot the phone with one plugged in it resets the count that records the number of custom (non-Samsung signed) ROMs that you've installed and also removes the warning triangle from the boot screen if you are currently running a custom rom.

All this with a USB cable and a 301K resistor.

Full information here along with details of how to buy a pre-assembled unit if you don't want to break out the soldering iron.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1068522

Guest stoolzo
Found the USB breakout, lost my resistors. :unsure:

P

doubt people are going to want to faff with that, is this something we are going to be able solve via firmware / ROM cooking?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest petrosy
doubt people are going to want to faff with that, is this something we are going to be able solve via firmware / ROM cooking?

Noob question....

I am moving over from an Acer Liquid to a SGS2 and am trying to get my head round all the new ins and outs of the device.

What is this "counter" that everyone keeps going on about and how does it affect me?

Guest jameshill
Noob question....

I am moving over from an Acer Liquid to a SGS2 and am trying to get my head round all the new ins and outs of the device.

What is this "counter" that everyone keeps going on about and how does it affect me?

The counter records the number of times you "download" and use custom firmware. It may invalidate your warranty to use custom firmware and the counter makes it difficult to hide as it indicates that unofficial firmware has been used even if you re flash the official the official firmware.

A warning triangle appears when you boot your phone when you have a custom ROM installed (it is removed if you reflash the office ROM).

Not a big problem though just buy or make the usb with resistor it will remove the yellow triangle and reset the count to zero.

You can also remove the yellow triangle by reflashing the secure firmware after you have rooted and this also changes the firmwares designation back to Samsung Official in Odin Mode.

Follow the guides and you will figure it all out. They also have some good stuff over at xda.

Hope that helps a little.

Guest petrosy
The counter records the number of times you "download" and use custom firmware. It may invalidate your warranty to use custom firmware and the counter makes it difficult to hide as it indicates that unofficial firmware has been used even if you re flash the official the official firmware.

A warning triangle appears when you boot your phone when you have a custom ROM installed (it is removed if you reflash the office ROM).

Not a big problem though just buy or make the usb with resistor it will remove the yellow triangle and reset the count to zero.

You can also remove the yellow triangle by reflashing the secure firmware after you have rooted and this also changes the firmwares designation back to Samsung Official in Odin Mode.

Follow the guides and you will figure it all out. They also have some good stuff over at xda.

Hope that helps a little.

Hi,

Thanks that is exactly the info I was looking for. I have one of those USB dongles but have yet to root the phone. Getting the courage still as this is definitely a different kettle of fish from my Acer Liquid.

Cheers

P