Major Problems with Android Market!

Guest MultiMartin

Guest MultiMartin

I couple of days ago I installed the official RRU for Gingerbread but found it had too many issues with Wifi so I temp rooted it and downgraded it back to stock 2.2.

However I have been having serious issues with downloading apps off the Market since then. Whenever I try to do this I just get a 'Download was unsuccessful. Please try again' error message. I have tried to wipe the market, market updater and download manager cache but this does not fix the issue. I've also tried factory resets and that hasn't solved the issue either. The issue occurs on both Wifi and 3G. Strangely I can still install apps using the Market website (http://market.android.com).

I thought it may be an issue with the phone but after a factory reset I signed up to a new Google Account and I can download apps fine with that. However, I need to use my main Google Account as it has all of my contacts and app purchases on there.

Any help with sorting this out would be greatfully appreciated as it's becoming really frustrating for me.

Guest MultiMartin
Hello. When you downgraded, did you boot recovery, wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache first before flashing?

No I didn't do that but I'm guessing I should have. Is it worth reflashing the boot recovery so I can do that?

Guest TLCook
No I didn't do that but I'm guessing I should have. Is it worth reflashing the boot recovery so I can do that?

Oh yes. First rule of flashing a ROM, wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache every time. So from this point, you should boot recovery, wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache, then reflash the ROM you want.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest MultiMartin
Oh yes. First rule of flashing a ROM, wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache every time. So from this point, you should boot recovery, wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache, then reflash the ROM you want.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the help! Will I need to do S-OFF and Super CCID etc to be able to boot into recovery to just wipe the cache? I'll probably just go back to Stock.

Guest TLCook
Thanks for the help! Will I need to do S-OFF and Super CCID etc to be able to boot into recovery to just wipe the cache? I'll probably just go back to Stock.

You won't need to do that to wipe the cache, assuming you still have a modified recovery image installed (try booting in recovery to see what options you get). Otherwise you will need to start over, and there is sufficient reading material on this website and others for that :unsure:

Just remember what you read is purely a guide and if followed, is done so entirely at your own risk.

Guest MultiMartin
You won't need to do that to wipe the cache, assuming you still have a modified recovery image installed (try booting in recovery to see what options you get). Otherwise you will need to start over, and there is sufficient reading material on this website and others for that :unsure:

Just remember what you read is purely a guide and if followed, is done so entirely at your own risk.

If I was to install a custom rom, which would you recommend? I just want something with Sense that is stable and has good battery life.

Guest TLCook
If I was to install a custom rom, which would you recommend? I just want something with Sense that is stable and has good battery life.

Good question! One which I can't answer accurately at the moment! I am trialling several different ROMs at the moment to establish a compromise between fancy GUI and battery life.

I found a stock android 2.3 ROM to be the kindest to the battery and the GUI isn't bad but it lacked quite a few features that I was fond of (courtesy of HTC Sense).

I am currently using a Gingerbread ROM called "RCMix HD Kingdom v0.1" which has some Sense 3.0 parts (lock screen, notification bar, home screen, usb selection screen).

Hope that helps!