Can send, but not receive SMS (3UK)

Guest Chocoa

Guest Chocoa

Hi

Sorry its my first post and I'm asking for help already...

I wonder if someone can help. My daughter has bought a rooted and unlocked orange San Fansisco:

Using 3 network SIM from her old phone.

Android 2.2

Baseband: 003ZB01

Kernal: 2.6.32.9-perf (zte-kernal@Zdroid-SMT)

Build: Japanese Jellyfish RL9

She can send text messages OK - via ChompSMS, but can't receive messages ( or replies to her sent messages) - very odd

I am not familiar with the phone or android so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Chocoa

Guest flshg
Hi

Sorry its my first post and I'm asking for help already...

I wonder if someone can help. My daughter has bought a rooted and unlocked orange San Fansisco:

Using 3 network SIM from her old phone.

Android 2.2

Baseband: 003ZB01

Kernal: 2.6.32.9-perf (zte-kernal@Zdroid-SMT)

Build: Japanese Jellyfish RL9

She can send text messages OK - via ChompSMS, but can't receive messages ( or replies to her sent messages) - very odd

I am not familiar with the phone or android so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

I've never used chompsms, but in the settings somewhere may be an option to "auto retrieve messages". Also look for this on the stock sms app, probably called 'messages'.

Guest Chocoa
I've never used chompsms, but in the settings somewhere may be an option to "auto retrieve messages". Also look for this on the stock sms app, probably called 'messages'.

Thanks for the reply flshg but unfortunately I cannot find any options in the settings for SMS at all. Neither is there a 'stock' SMS app on the phone!

Strange indeed - hence I was not sure what to do next!

Guest Pondlife

Looking at ChompSMS on the Android Market there's a few recent reviews saying they've stopped receiving sms too, so I'd grab a different sms app from the Market and try that.

Handcent SMS is fairly popular, I prefer GoSMS personally.

Hope this helps. :P

Edited by Pondlife

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi Chocoa,

I had a quick look at ChompSMS, and basically it is a service whereby you can send an SMS at low rates via Wi-Fi or using a cellular data connection, Skype has this feature just not for ANDROID at the moment. So when you send an SMS, it's via the internet to chomp and then they forward the SMS at a much reduced cost.

Perhaps this is why your daughter can send an SMS but not receive one? The fact that the stock SMS app isn't there is perhaps not good. I am fairly new to ANDROID, but I do know some apps are needed for basic functions, such as SMS. Even if you don't use the stock app, it's still needed.

If at all possible, you could re-flash (install) Japanese Jelly Fish this would reinstall the OS and any missing apps. I am not sure how much your daughter has personalised her phone, I'm guessing quite a bit. But if you use the Apps2SD feature you could move most of her apps to the SD card, that way when you re-flash you won't lose too many apps.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions then please post back.

Regards, Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki