Windows7 R116 Tablet, anyone else got one

Guest Klinux73

Guest Archael

I bought this tablet as well took me several months to get it, but i did finally! The first one i got nothing worked in it so i sent it back 2 months later got a new one back, blue tooth, wifi, 3g, 2 gigs of DDR2 and a 500 gig HD. Actually quite like just got Diablo II and Warcraft III to play on it. But like all of you i have a problem and this is the first forum I have seen about this tablet. My problem is I cannot connect my 3G at all. I went to AT&T to get a SIM card but they want an IMEI number wich I have no way of getting I think PLUS i cannot get a seriel number either. Even after contacting the manufacturers in China, lot of help they where, I still cannot get it to work. I did use a Verizon 3G SIM card but could not connect to it, but it did detect it using there Globetrotter Connect software. Any Help or someone I can contact to get some help????

I actually had this same question, there's actually an empty slot inside the unit that takes the 3g card which it doesn't come with, the guy that started this thread is all over it and has some details in his many posts.

Also that is a great idea for Diablo, I gave up trying to find games that would work well on this but thats a great idea, the only game I found that worked well was Risk 2, going to download diablo 2 right now.

On a side note, has anyone had any luck finding replacement hardware for these?

I blew my speaker out somehow, did a little searching for one to replace it but kind of gave up.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Klinux73

The IMEI number will be on the 3G mini PCI-e card inside the tablet printed on a label stuck on the card, you'll need to open the tablet by unscrewing the 2 screws on the side of the case, then slide the back off. I've not tried using any of these cards in the tablet so couldn't really say what the lack of connection is using a sim, but at a guess it might be software related.

As for the blown speaker take a look at the size get some measurements and have a look on ebay there are loads of spares for netbooks you should find something that fits.

Edited by Klinux73

Hi

I am getting this tablet on Friday or Saturday.

I am not very technical and cannot understand a lot of the jargon typed in this thread so I was wondering if this tablet can be used upon arrival ?

Or do I have to do a lot of messing around with it?

Thank you very much for reading xxx :)

Hi

I got my tablet yesterday

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere I can buy a cover/sleeve for it please? I did buy one with a little keyboard on it that connects via a usb

but even though it says for a 10.2 tablet it was way too small.

Also can I get a stylus or a pen or is it totally touch screen

Many thanks xxx :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Archael

Sorry to ask this type of question again, does anybody know where to get replacement parts for these?

A friend of mine was messing around with mine, took the cover off and damaged the ribbon cable going to the touch screen, and I have had no luck finding any type of replacement parts let alone something that important.

Yeah I need smarter friends apparently

• 1 month later...
Guest sooconfuseddd?!?

Hi

I got my tablet yesterday

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere I can buy a cover/sleeve for it please? I did buy one with a little keyboard on it that connects via a usb

but even though it says for a 10.2 tablet it was way too small.

Also can I get a stylus or a pen or is it totally touch screen

Many thanks xxx :)

the keyboard can be bought of ebay but you hav to search for a r116 keyboard

Guest Rocket Ronny

Hi I received my R116 yesterday and I am pleased with its operation so far. Yes it is a bit heavy but I have a Samsung Q1 Ultra which is smaller and just as heavy so I am used to the weight. I upgraded the hdd in the Q1 to a SSD (64gb) so I am going to purchase a 1.8in ZIF to SATA adapter board and use the 64gb SSD out of the Q1. My current query about this tablet is I am not 100% sure that it has a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. When you purchase a new laptop or netbook you are given the opportunity to make recovery dvd's or cd's, or you get recovery dvd's or cd's with the computer. No such opportunity with this tablet. Can anyone tell me if they have made backups or if it is a genuine windows 7 copy. Rocket Ronny

Guest awarner

As I have installed Ultimate myself an not from a new pc I can not say about a bcakup but with starter edition it does not happen but that is on netbooks which have no dvd drive anyway.

Without checking you should be able to still make a system restore disc.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, I'll try and troubleshoot the problem a bit further and let you know the results.

After doing a system restore I didn't install any updates or software and tried out the sleep/hibernation function and the problem was still there, even after installing windows updates and driver updates through windows update it didn't fix anything. I will try and download the graphics and chipset drivers directly from intel like you said to see if that makes any difference, also my tablet came with a CD with the original drivers on so I will copy those onto a USB stick and give them a try too :)

Here are the specs on my tablet: ViewTab R116 - 10.2" Windows 7 Tablet PC - 1.66GHz Atom N455 Processor - 2GB DDR2 - 320GB HDD - Wi-Fi - 1.3MP Webcam - G-Sensor - Multi Touch Screen

and here is a link where I had it from : http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

I have managed to find the processor driver but where do I find the graphics and chipset drivers? How exactly do I find out what parts are inside my tablet?

Please accept my apologies for sounding like a NOOB this is my first venture into mobile computing, I am more used to desktops and I built my current machine myself so I have a vague idea on how things work there but I am a bit nervous about this tablet business!

For those who may be interested (or don't already know) I have posted the instructions how to do a system restore from the backup included on the tablet. I am not sure if it will be the same for every model out there but for those who have the same one as mine it should prove useful:

----------

We copied a complete backup of Windows 7 in local D diskof your tablet (D:/MaxBak). If you still keep those backup files and yourtablet can boot as normal, then you can restore OS for your tablet without arepair disk.

HOW TO RESTORE

(1) Connect an USB keyboard to the tablet

(2) POWER ON

(3) When the tablet boots to image of "Windows BootManager", please use arrow key to select the option "MaxDos 8",instead of "Windows 7", then press "ENTER" to continue

(4) Next step, please select THE THIRD OPTION beginningwith the DIGIT "2", then press "ENTER" to continue (Thereare some Chinese characters, please NO WORRIES, just IGNORE them)

(5) Next step, please select THE FIRST OPTION beginningwith the LETTER "R", then press "ENTER" to continue

(6) Accept "Start (S)" to continue therestoring, it will take 10 - 15 minutes to restore OS in your tablet.

----------

I have tried to play around with other OS on the tablet, I tried out the Android x86 build which worked fine but with no touch screen capabilities, and I also tried out the Chromium OS build which worked but again no touch screen capabilities and I could not connect to the net and therefore not do anything! (LOL)

I would be very interested in getting other fully working OS on the device so that I could dual boot, and also I am very interested in fitting a SSD :)

So happy I found this forum...I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who had one of these tablets!

HI,

I have the same device with the same configuration but i lost my drivers cd and i was wondering if you can help me getting a copy of it.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this thread really exploded since i first posted

i was thinking to sell the damn thing (because of the battery) and buy a z670 tablet but all the mods you guys are doing really give me hope

but what whould you guys say if we added another battery in parallel with the original?

->im not trying to sell anything but here is the link to a compatible battery- http://tiny.cc/n8bbo

this in parallel with the original? what do you guys think? would the mobo handle it? the battery is 180 x 45 x 8 mm so maybe we can "glue" it to the cover and make a custom cover for it? would it look bad ..ideas?

also ...SSD-...how about a 1.8" SATA2 ssd.....it shoud fit right in the connector here is what i found: http://tiny.cc/1hswd

***as a note it would appear that the diffrence in watts between a 1.8"sata2 ssd and 2.5" hdd is only 0.55 W...i don't know how much that would influence the overall battery time

Edited by Bffn45

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I love this tablet and have no issues with it at all - till tonight lol

I put it on charge and went into the kitchen, when I returned with coffee the charger was on fire!!!!

I couldn't believe it, I was really freaked out!!

Where can I get a new charger, I have had a look round but can't find one for this tablet.

Thank you, Jnay xxx :):):)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fma965

any 1 had any luck getting wifi working on android on it? also what about the sim card? i cant get giffgaff working with it not tried no other network though. using globetrotter software. any 1 got wifi working on it on windows 8 aswell?

• 1 year later...
Guest lord of zombies

really sorry to bump up an old post, but i also have this tablet and reading through your experiences i have to say i had a very different experience, i have only just discovered my tablet model (re discovered my poorly written handbook yesterday and this page came up through google)

i got mine from amazon as well from a company "factory direct from china" and the order was first delayed, then a month later when i finally received the device it was covered in dead pixels. after one day the hard drive failed, i had it replaced and was told i had been given a old (used) hard drive, around 80% of the sectors or bad if i can recall correctly. (didnt return it as i didnt want to wait another two months to use my device)

anyway since i had to re install windows and the device had no windows key with it i then had to pay for a copy of win 7. after this i couldnt get any of the drivers to work from the cd, there is now a strip on the touch screen that wont respond, ive opened it up so many times to attempt a repair but i cannot see anything wrong.

anyway, the main reason im posting is to ask (because the cd that came with my device does nothing, and i have since lost it)

do you know where i can get a driver for the "g sensor" on this tablet? i cannot find it anywhere, its rather annoying.

thanks guys, hope your mods turned out well.