External CD-Drives

Guest saltydogrr

Guest saltydogrr

Hi guys. I wonder if it is possible to use any USB external cd drive to plug into my Eee Pad and play dvds. If so, does it have to be asus specific proprietary drives or will any external cd drive do?

Thanks.

Guest Mr.Clark

An excellent question, so I just tried.

All I have is a bus powered Blu-Ray, and I tried that with a DVD in and it didn't appear to be picked up.

If someone else with a USB CD or DVD drive could give it a go, I'd be interested in the results too...

Guest ErGo_404

I guess there is no DVD drive driver for Android. But some external CD/DVD drives can be used as external storage, just like regular USB hard drives. Maybe it could work with such hardware. I don't have one so I can't test it for you... sorry !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BLewis

Hi, I'm getting one next Friday, is there anyway that we can get DVDs to work on the Transformer, is it possible someone can implement support DVD mounting and then support for RAW film data on the DVD or is this too far fetched? I mean surely if people can create ROMs and overclock, then this must be possible, I am willing to help as much as I can, I know quite a bit about android and have a lot of experience with linux as I used the ubuntu distro all the time (in fact I'm typing this in Ubuntu), any chance someone can help me?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Nitro Fan
Sony DRX-S70U (its a slim external) does NOT work with 3.1

Just tried an LG slim external DVD drive model no GSA-E50N does not work

• 3 months later...
Guest angle100

I test this with my Eee Pad Transformer TF 101, it didn't work. However, i just bought a USB hard drive for my Eee Pad, it works very well for watching movies through it.

• 2 months later...
Guest unrandomsam

Shouldn't be too difficult to statically link a copy of cdrtools and include the necessary kernel support.

Something like the native android version of mplayer should work.

Think personally I would prefer to use something like skifta instead though.