Review of HTC Sensation.

Guest Neel007

Guest Neel007
I've decided to go for the HTC Sensation, and picked mine up today :)

First impressions are great, the S-LCD screen is really sharp and bright, and it just feels right in the hand, and you'll definatly love the upgrade from the HTC Hero !

I'll add a few more comments once I've had had a good play around with the phone.

thanx....

i really appericiate it...

it's available in my country now but still it will take a little time for me to buy it....

can u play HD games like those of gameloft n review about graphics??

Guest ptruman

Got mine on Friday, unlocked, from http://www.box.co.uk

Paid a bit more than Play.com, but I could drive 5 mins and pick it up :)

I've come from an HTC Hero (last running VillainRom 12.0) and am mostly impressed.

Sensation comes with an 8GB Class 4 SD card, which I've replaced with my class 6 card.

FYI it's running :

Android 2.3.3

HTC Sense 3.0

Software 1.28.401.1

Kernel 2.6.35.10-gfbbd430

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

SMP PREEMPT Tue May 17 20:12:40 CSR 2011

Baseband 10.42.401.1 CL67911 release-keys

Browser WebKit/533.1

Performance wise, the thing flies. It does get a bit warm to the hold (at the lower rear of the phone), but it motors.

Screen quality in the sun is a bit poor, as it's not AMOLED (as mentioned) but it is a good screen.

Coming from the 2.1 Hero, the things I've noticed are :

a) Screen size makes a HUGE difference

B) Some 2.1 widgets are not present (like HTC Battery widget)

c) Spare parts is not present (and the 2.1 version doesn't work 100%)

d) I dislike the new "Menu" button - once you press it, the menu appears and the button vanishes - so you have to press Home to get back home

e) I dislike the new "Menu" (app list) screen - it's "paginated", so you cannot just scroll freely.

f) You CAN however add favorites, most used, and reorder the control buttons at the bottom of the screen

g) Calculator - I still prefer the 2.1 look to the 3.0 look

h) I'd advise on getting a protector of some sort - it's a near 100% glass front, and the rear is metallic and can probably scratch

i) rear case contains the antennae - removing that = no signal at all (bear in mind if you're swapping cards around)

Mostly I'm happy - I have a niggle with my dual-AP WLAN (not meshed) and the phone seeming to latch onto the AP which is furthest away and being reticent to join (WPA2-Enterprise) but once on, it's fine.

Also - disable "always on mobile" - that REALLY cripples the battery. Once off, I'm now getting about a day of 'normal' use.

[EDIT]

I do like the dragdown status bar changes - that's now "tabbed", so you have Notifications on one tab, and "Quick Settings" on the other, to enable/disable wifi etc, get to task manager and settings, etc.

Edited by ptruman

Guest ptruman
There's a new RUU out - 1.35.401.1 - over on XDA if you want it

...allegedly has some touchscreen issues (a few posters reported it).

I'm going to wait for the OTA :)

Guest Neel007
Got mine on Friday, unlocked, from http://www.box.co.uk

Screen quality in the sun is a bit poor, as it's not AMOLED (as mentioned) but it is a good screen.

can u tell me does the screen content shine in direct sunlight...... ????

as in my xperia.... whenever there is direct sunlight , the letters n all shine so we can easily read.... hope u understand what m asking.......

thnx

Guest ptruman
can u tell me does the screen content shine in direct sunlight...... ????

as in my xperia.... whenever there is direct sunlight , the letters n all shine so we can easily read.... hope u understand what m asking.......

thnx

Nope, it's hard to read without shading the screen.