Ultimate Guide to the Huawei U8800

Guest That-Guy

Guest That-Guy
Guys, just curious, will I be able to revert back to the original bootloader after using Paul's Superboot...? Do I just replace it with the original bootloader...?

Yep just backup your Original Boot Loader before using Paul's, then if you want to revert just copy the backup back ;)

Guest papatsonis
OK can you use this boot image from HERE

It is from the B136 Firmware but has been tweaked and adds root.

Would be great if you can leave it exactly as it is but just add Overclock Support ;)

Thanks

out of curiosity i loaded Paul's boot.img, it added the cifs/tun modules, but didn't auto-convert the ext3 stock partitions to ext4 (i might miss something).

eitherway, concerning tun/cifs support the default .config for u8800 has enabled(kernel support), just not the modules, so i assume you can continue to use them, ext4 support is also enabled, and 1612 max o/c

with this boot.img

p.s.> even if you dont o/c at all, you should see some power consumption gains as the stock rom has 1.1volt for 800 versus 0.9volt in this one (again do note, that your phone might not work on some or all frequency steps, due to undervolt)

edit: CIFS seems to work, as a i tried with CIFS Manager

Edited by papatsonis

Guest That-Guy
out of curiosity i loaded Paul's boot.img, it added the cifs/tun modules, but didn't auto-convert the ext3 stock partitions to ext4 (i might miss something).

eitherway, concerning tun/cifs support the default .config for u8800 has enabled(kernel support), just not the modules, so i assume you can continue to use them, ext4 support is also enabled, and 1612 max o/c

with this boot.img

p.s.> even if you dont o/c at all, you should see some power consumption gains as the stock rom has 1.1volt for 800 versus 0.9volt in this one (again do note, that your phone might not work on some or all frequency steps, due to undervolt)

1) OK so the download is Paul's boot image with Overclock Support?

2) Are you saying Paul's EXT3 to EXT4 is not working?

3) What is cifs/tun?

I have never done anything at Kernel Level so still a noob in that area ;)

Thanks in Advance :P

Guest papatsonis
1) OK so the download is Paul's boot image with Overclock Support?

2) Are you saying Paul's EXT3 to EXT4 is not working?

3) What is cifs/tun?

I have never done anything at Kernel Level so still a noob in that area ;)

Thanks in Advance :D

1)no, its boot.img from B136 with custom kernel compile from huawei's source code. (almost stock as i said, just enabled through .config the ext4 support -and have tested this one :D )

2) Paul might mean ext4 support, dunno, the fact is i bootted with paul's image, waited some time, reboot to bootloader, and when checked with gparted, the partitions were still ext3, not ext4 (i think you can convert to ext4 by typing some command, haven't bothered yet to try)

3) CIFS and TUN, in fact i had no idea what these acronyms meant :D

p.s.> the fact i succeeded at last to just compile a source code (following guides on net) doesn't make me an expert :P

Edited by papatsonis

Guest mesnati

Hi!

I did this:

1) Extract the recovery.img from the zip file.

2) Turn on your phone while holding VOL+ and VOL- (should come up with pink/purple screen)

3) Connect to computer.

4) Go to My Computer and Browse your phone to find the folder with recovery.img in.

5) Replace the recovery.img with the one you extracted from the zip file.

I pull out the battery and power on the phone!

Nothing happens!

Any clues how to use this great tool?

Brgds,

S.

Guest trancer01

with this boot.img

edit: CIFS seems to work, as a i tried with CIFS Manager

What do you mean by 'it might not work on some or all frequency steps, due to undervolting'? Are you saying that this O/C bootloader hasn`t been properly tested on its set lower CPU voltage? If so, is it safe to replace Paul`s superboot bootloader with your overclocked one? Have you made any benchmark tests with your ROM in for example Quadrant, if yes, what results did you get? And finaly, if I decide to change the superboot with your O/C boot.img, do I simply copy your bootloader over the existing one? I have done some minor tweaks in the media profiles(changed a couple of values) and in the build.prop file(added a line and changed two values), I`m guessing these changes shouldn`t interfere with your overclocked boot image?

Guest papatsonis
What do you mean by 'it might not work on some or all frequency steps, due to undervolting'? Are you saying that this O/C bootloader hasn`t been properly tested on its set lower CPU voltage? If so, is it safe to replace Paul`s superboot bootloader with your overclocked one? Have you made any benchmark tests with your ROM in for example Quadrant, if yes, what results did you get? And finaly, if I decide to change the superboot with your O/C boot.img, do I simply copy your bootloader over the existing one? I have done some minor tweaks in the media profiles(changed a couple of values) and in the build.prop file(added a line and changed two values), I`m guessing these changes shouldn`t interfere with your overclocked boot image?

exactly, i had made this custom kernel, with the absolute minimum voltage required for the frequency steps for MY Ideos to be 100% stable, so it might or might not work ok on all ideos (think an analogous of cpu processors, some clock better than others). Yes just like that (you just replace the boot.img) these changes you mentioned, wouldn't interfere.

Quadrant around 2480-2550 at 1612

Guest primozkoco

its problem beacouse my stock rom is B135 which is not compatibile with Pauls superboot. Any other ideas or I will need to upgrade my firmwire first and then root ?

Guest Simon O
its problem beacouse my stock rom is B135 which is not compatibile with Pauls superboot. Any other ideas or I will need to upgrade my firmwire first and then root ?

Yep. Upgrade to B136 then use the Superboot.

Guest NeostarNeko

Actually you can just use z4root it's super easy and you get the option to unroot too.

You can find z4root over on XDA.

Guest NeostarNeko

Cool I'm thinking of switching too, at the moment I'm using B135 which came with the phone. I've rooted this though with z4root, I'm just watching the forums to see what interesting things are happening ;)

Guest That-Guy
Cool I'm thinking of switching too, at the moment I'm using B135 which came with the phone. I've rooted this though with z4root, I'm just watching the forums to see what interesting things are happening :P

B136 is well worth upgrading too ;)

Seems to have improved performance (with Paul's Superboot) and better WiFi Reliability.

Guest primozkoco

I replaced clockworkmod recovery file and do all the steps in the first page but i cannot acess the clockworkmod.

Any ideas? ;)

Guest Simon O
I replaced clockworkmod recovery file and do all the steps in the first page but i cannot acess the clockworkmod.

Any ideas? ;)

You need to boot holding volume up and the power button until recovery loads. At least that's what I have to do.