[RECOVERY] : ClockworkMod Recovery for Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Please find attached *MY* build of the latest version of Koush's ClockworkMod Recovery for the Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160. It is not officially supported by Koush, please do not bother him with support questions for this build.

I have tested it as much as I can, but I'm always open to any more constructive feedback. Please see one post down for a change log for THIS build.

To install:

• Recovery Manager
      Download the img file to your SD card, and then you can use the Recovery Manager application to install your recovery, note your device must be rooted to run Recovery Manager.

• ADB method
      • Download the support files and unzip them to your PC.
      • Place the files along with the recovery img file into a directory.
      • From a command prompt cd into that directory and type the following commands:
        adb push psneuter /data/local/
        adb shell chmod 04775 /data/local/psneuter
        adb shell /data/local/psneuter
        adb push flash_image /data/local/
        adb shell chmod 04775 /data/local/flash_image
        adb push recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8350.img /sdcard/
        adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8160.img
        adb reboot recovery[/code]

• When this finishes, you device should reboot into ClockworkMod Reovery
        [/list]

• [u]fastboot method[/u]
        • Unplug the USB cable, turn off your device and take out the battery
        • Replace the battery and turn the device on holding the 'Power' & 'volume down' key. The device will stay at the 'egg timer' screen.
        • Plug the device into the PC.
        • From a command prompt run '[i]fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img[/i]'
        • When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot reboot'
          [/list]

• [u]update.zip method[/u]
            If you have a previous version or another recovery install, install the update.zip and restart your device.
            [/list]
            [/list]

[b]How to Enter recovery mode:[/b]
            • restart your device holding down the 'power' & 'volume up' keys
            • Use the Recovery Manager application to Reboot into Recovery
            • if you have ADB configured type 'adb reboot recovery' from the command line.

[b]Downloads:[/b][list]The Latest version of Clockworkmod Recovery can found here

[b]Previous versions:[/b][list]

[*]Older versions of Clockwork recovery can be found here.

[b]Official release[/b][list]

[*]Official versions of ClockworkMod Recovery if available for this device can be found here

• [b]Warning:[/b][list]

[*]Support for the old style update files that use the Amend scripting (update-script) method is no longer supported With ClockworkMod Recovery from v3 onwards.

[b]Source[/b][list]

[*]The Device Config to build ClockworkMod Recovery as part of CyanogenMod can be found on my GitHub.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Know issues:

- nadroid backup/restore does not support the custom (/cust) partition.

Build Change Log:

2011-06-02 - v2.6.0.0 b1 - Initial release

2011-06-12 - v4.0.0.2 b1 - Initial release

2011-06-19 - v4.0.0.5 b1 - Initial release

2011-08-03 - v4.0.1.4 b1 - Initial release

Edited by Sebastian404

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dabl8

I couldn't get universalandroot nor superoneclick to work on ubuntu 10.04 so I had to go the fastboot route. I finally got the thing installed after a long time finding fastboot, getting fastboot to work, finally having to run it as root etc. It's the first android phone I've tinkered with: bought it for my mother! Correct me if I am wrong but fastboot mode is reached by power+down and recovery is reached by power+up? Maybe you could also specify exactly which of the files is needed for the recovery. I went with recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.5-u8160.img cos I read somewhere that fastboot is a method for flashing unsigned recovery images.

Thanks for your good work

Guest charliespain
Please find attached *MY* build of the latest version of Koush's ClockworkMod Recovery for the Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160. It is not officially supported by Koush, please do not bother him with support questions for this build.

I have tested it as much as I can, but I'm always open to any more constructive feedback. Please see one post down for a change log for THIS build.

To install:
Recovery ManagerDownload the img file to your SD card, and then you can use the Recovery Manager application to install your recovery.

fastboot method
Unplug the USB cable, turn off your device and take out the battery
Replace the battery and turn the device on holding the 'Power' & 'volume up' key. The device will stay at the 'egg timer' screen.
Plug the device into the PC.
From a command prompt run 'fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img'
When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot reboot'

update.zip methodIf you have a previous version or another recovery install, install the update.zip and restart your device.

How to Enter recovery mode:
restart your device holding down the 'power' and 'volume down' keys
Use the Recovery Manager application to Reboot into Recovery
if you have ADB configured type 'adb reboot recovery' from the command line.
Downloads:The Latest version of Clockworkmod Recovery can found here
Previous versions:
Older versions of Clockwork recovery can be found here.
Official release
Official versions of ClockworkMod Recovery if available for this device can be found here
Warning:
Support for the old style update files that use the Amend scripting (update-script) method is no longer supported With ClockworkMod Recovery from v3 onwards, if you require support for the Amend scripting method, use v2.5.1.8.
Source
The Device Config to build ClockworkMod Recovery as part of CyanogenMod can be found on my GitHub.

this ClockworkMod Recovery does not work on vodafone 858 smart

Guest b1g1an

Yes it does, what you meant to type was YOU can't get it to work.

Guest Sebastian404
I couldn't get universalandroot nor superoneclick to work on ubuntu 10.04 so I had to go the fastboot route. I finally got the thing installed after a long time finding fastboot, getting fastboot to work, finally having to run it as root etc. It's the first android phone I've tinkered with: bought it for my mother! Correct me if I am wrong but fastboot mode is reached by power+down and recovery is reached by power+up? Maybe you could also specify exactly which of the files is needed for the recovery. I went with recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.5-u8160.img cos I read somewhere that fastboot is a method for flashing unsigned recovery images.

Your right, I mixed those two up, I've edited the first post to be hopefully correct now.

The root application I recommend these days is z4root it seems to work on most things I've tried it with.

The basic rule is that you allways get the latest version, but otherwise, the .IMG version is if you want to use fastboot/ROM manager/RECOVERY Manager/other to write the image, or you can just use the .ZIP version and install it as if you where installing a custom ROM from Clockwork itself..

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Could you maybe describe the problems your having?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sikamariusik

Hi, I installed ClockworkMod Recovery 4.0.0.8 using the first method you mentioned with Recovery Manager.

After I installed the clockwork mod the Recovery Manager does not recognize the Recovery it says " Current installed Recovery Unrecognized" , but the Recovery seems to work, I restarted the phone using Power + Volume up buttons and it went into recovery mod and I was able to make a backup.

So I am wondering is it just a bug in the Recovery Manager because it's a Beta version? Or is there another problem?

Hi sebastian404 but the original recovery if i want where is?

I know if i install original rom i have too original recovery.....

But is there a person in an Italian forum, which is no longer able to install and restore the official rom (Vodafone Italia or other rom) ...... This person have my custom rom SmartLucky, But for me is all OK i have install and reston the original rom.

"update failed with a triangle" ---> for this person.

I have black vodafone smart

This person have white vodafone smart

I have seen this error for the Ideos in another forum complained about this problem

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sebastian404

Hi, I installed ClockworkMod Recovery 4.0.0.8 using the first method you mentioned with Recovery Manager.

After I installed the clockwork mod the Recovery Manager does not recognize the Recovery it says " Current installed Recovery Unrecognized" , but the Recovery seems to work, I restarted the phone using Power + Volume up buttons and it went into recovery mod and I was able to make a backup.

So I am wondering is it just a bug in the Recovery Manager because it's a Beta version? Or is there another problem?

make sure you do an 'update database' to ensure you have a recent update, and sometimes if im lazy I dont instantly update the database when theres a new recovery version out, I automated the build process, but not the database updating part... not yet anyway... its on my to-do list

Guest Sebastian404

Its also worth noting that from 4.0.1.4 onwards I'm using a custom kernel that has support for EXT3 & EXT4 built in, so those options should now work...

any feedback/issues let me know..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VampiricPadraig

Hi,

First time Android user here so excuse if I sound nooby.

I installed the ClockworkMod (recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8160.img) (I think this is the one I should be using) but when I restart and hold the power button and volume up. I get stuck at the egg timer...

Should have I restarted using the RecoveryManager app or should I have just left it? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

First time Android user here so excuse if I sound nooby.

I installed the ClockworkMod (recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8160.img) (I think this is the one I should be using) but when I restart and hold the power button and volume up. I get stuck at the egg timer...

Should have I restarted using the RecoveryManager app or should I have just left it? Thanks in advance!

You're in fastboot mode. Type "fastboot boot replace_this_with_your_recovery_filename" to boot into your recovery without flashing it on your device.

Question: has anyone tried this on the U8180 (X1) ? what are the odds it works correctly ?

Sebastian404: are you interested in making this compatible with the U8180 as well ? I've got a few units and am willing to do the testing..

To install:

• Recovery Manager
    • Download the img file to your SD card, and then you can use the
    Recovery Manager application to install your recovery, note your device must be rooted to run Recovery Manager.

• ADB method
    • Download the support files and unzip them to your PC.
    • Place the files along with the recovery img file into a directory.
    • From a command prompt cd into that directory and type the following commands:
      adb push psneuter /data/local/

adb shell chmod 04775 /data/local/psneuter

adb shell /data/local/psneuter

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 04775 /data/local/flash_image

adb push recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8350.img /sdcard/

adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.4-u8160.img

adb reboot recovery

• When this finishes, you device should reboot into ClockworkMod Reovery

• fastboot method
      • Unplug the USB cable, turn off your device and take out the battery
      • Replace the battery and turn the device on holding the 'Power' & 'volume down' key. The device will stay at the 'egg timer' screen.
      • Plug the device into the PC.
      • From a command prompt run 'fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img'
      • When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot reboot'

• update.zip method
        • If you have a previous version or another recovery install, install the update.zip and restart your device.

How to Enter recovery mode:
          • restart your device holding down the 'power' & 'volume up' keys
          • Use the Recovery Manager application to Reboot into Recovery
          • if you have ADB configured type 'adb reboot recovery' from the command line.

Downloads:

The Latest version of Clockworkmod Recovery can found here

Previous versions:

[*]Older versions of Clockwork recovery can be found here.

Official release

[*]Official versions of ClockworkMod Recovery if available for this device can be found here

Warning:

[*]Support for the old style update files that use the Amend scripting (update-script) method is no longer supported With ClockworkMod Recovery from v3 onwards.

Source

[*]The Device Config to build ClockworkMod Recovery as part of CyanogenMod can be found on my GitHub.

Sebastian404: are you interested in making this compatible with the U8180 as well ? I've got a few units and am willing to do the testing..

Hi Sebastien,

I've tested your amonRA and Clockwork recovery images on the u8180 gaga... the good news that they are working fine.

I've chosen amonRA since it's compatible with both Amon and Defy update scripts.

Many thanks!

Edited by wahbi

• 1 month later...
Guest Grizzly55

Hi Sebastien

Sorry for my english!!;)

I have an 8180-1 and have installed the CM 7. After install with Clockwork i loost my Bootmenu. When i start the Mobile by press Vol+ and Power i have only the Sandclock. No Menu and no possiblity to Reset or other Funktions.

Now i have found your Site. :rolleyes:

I will Flash the RA recovery and this no work. Wait and wait....

Then i open the zip file from CM and copy the boot.img to SD.

Flash the boot.img and this work. i have the bootmenu again. Wow!!!!

Now i Flash recovery-RA-u8160-v2.3-CM.img and ok.

Reboot the Mobile by hold Vol+ and Power Button.

Install CM file from SD Card and Wipe the Phone.

Now install gapps and the Phone work perfect.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dorin Dragoi

Hi guys, i have a question,have u realy tested yhison ahuawei 8160? because i can't even get mine rooted, and another thing, i've ead in the info about this mod and says that telephony will be broken - what does this mean? (i won't be able to make phone calls anymore?)

Hi guys, i have a question,have u realy tested yhison ahuawei 8160? because i can't even get mine rooted, and another thing, i've ead in the info about this mod and says that telephony will be broken - what does this mean? (i won't be able to make phone calls anymore?)

Pardon my bluntness,but if you're stumped by just rooting your device,you should reaaaaally stop messing with your device before you turn it into a 50+€ paperweight. That and you seriously messing up the terms just reinforces my previous statement,but let's take it from the top:

1 - This thing has been 'tested' on the Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160 insofar as plenty of people (myself included) used it with our devices to unlock their full potential

2 - This recovery image has absolutely nothing to do with the ROMs day-to-day life whatsoever,unless you frak-up the install and brick your device

2.5 - As far as I could tell from the rather odd mention of 'broken telephony' that you stumbled upon the very early ICS build that's been kindly done by subpsyke from MadTeam. As it's plainly stated - it's a T E S T build,so don't flash it until it's stable,which won't be anytime soon... Plus you can't flash it with this recovery

3 - Regarding rooting,Installing the recovery and flashing a ROM - Again,I really don't think that it's a good idea for you to do that until you're capable of at least rooting your device... And before you ask - there are guides even in the Vodafone Smart section here at MoDaCo + There's a thing called google,too...

Hi,

Thank you very much Sebastian404 for making this tutorial !

I have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery on my Vodafone 858 (Huawei U8160) with fastboot method.

I would also ask: Can someone tell me what is the difference between theese two recovery images:

recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160.img and recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160-update_signed.zip ?

Hi,

Thank you very much Sebastian404 for making this tutorial !

I have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery on my Vodafone 858 (Huawei U8160) with fastboot method.

I would also ask: Can someone tell me what is the difference between theese two recovery images:

recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160.img and recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160-update_signed.zip ?

It's the same thing,they only differ by the way they are installed.The .img file is used either with Recovery Manager or if you install the thing via ADB/fastboot. The .zip on the other hand is used to upgrade a previous version of CWMRecovery.

Thank you!

Also, i was wondering which one is the best recovery image from this link: http://android.podtw...hp?device=u8160 and why?

Don't mention it :) As for the recovery,to be honest,I've only used the CWMRecovery,so I'm kinda biased,but it's the one I'd recommend you to try both because it's easier to install/use and also because all ROMs I've seen for the Vodafone Smart required it to be installed (The only exception I saw was for subpsyke's test CM9 build that required his CWMRecovery build instead of seb's)

Edited by wolf89