[ROM] 02/Jun r0.0: de-branded ROM for Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160 [froyo]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

About RELEASE

Currently very much a work in-progress custom ROM for the Vodafone 858 Smart/Huawei U8160 device. The Stock rom has very little customization, but what there was had to go... ;)

This ROM is based on the Vodafone Smart, U8160V100R001C02B617 ROM shipped the current device,

Features

• Based on the U8160V100R001C02B617 ROM
  • Removed bundled vodafone applcations.
  • Removed bundled Cooltek Keyboard.
  • Reverted to default homescreen layout.
  • Reverted to standard Android Splash screen
  • Added livewallpapers.
  • Added Google Voice.
  • Added Google Deskclock.
  • Added Google Car Home
  • Updated Google Market Application.
  • Updated Google Maps.
  • Updated Google Muisc.
  • Updated Google Mail.
  • Updated Google Voicesearch.
  • Added ChainsDD' SuperUser Application.
  • Updated Busybox to v1.17.4.
  • Added international APN list.

Please see next post below this one for the changes in each release.

Downloads
    • r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip (mirror) - MD5 : f3e4be5e6b5a1bce771625767cce88f2
      ClockworkMod recovery.

Installation
      CAUTION: This update will wipe your userdata during installation, back it up if you want to keep it.
      Install this ROM using ClockworkMod Recovery:
      • Download the update zip above and copy to your SD card.
      • Restart your device in recovery mode (turn on your device with 'Power' & 'Volume Down' buttons held down).
      • Use the recovery menu to apply the update file.

Compatibility

This ROM should work with all models of the Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160

Upgrading

A wipe is required to use this ROM regardless of which ROM you have been using previously.

Reverting to stock

A stock ROM image for most devices can be found in this topic.

Known Issues

[*]none

Future development

[*]de-odex

[*]re-sign with test keys

[*]Fixing the issues people no-doubt find.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
Is your server facing problems as the download is very very slow.

laverna:~ sebastian$ wget http://android.podtwo.com/roms/r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip
--21:34:13-- http://android.podtwo.com/roms/r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip
=> `r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip.1'
Resolving android.podtwo.com... 74.207.253.45
Connecting to android.podtwo.com|74.207.253.45|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 82,834,373 [application/zip]

100%[============================================================================
=====================================>] 82,834,373 719.89K/s ETA 00:00

21:33:23 (734.30 KB/s) - `r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip' saved [82834373/82834373]

laverna:~ sebastian$[/code]

It looks ok to me, but I have added a mirror to the first post if anyone is having problems...

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Sebastian404, really nice to have a "clean" device! For those that are (like I was) unsure what to do, these are the steps I took to root and update:

I unlocked using dc-unlocker.... then:

Rooted the phone using the latest shortfuse: http://shortfuse.org/ SuperOneClickv1.9-ShortFuse.Drivers.rar

("You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode / You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed")

Install astro file manahger from marketplace...

Place RecoveryManager_v0.36b.apk on the SD card and install using a file manager of your choice (ie astro)!

Remove and replace battery, then run recovery manager from the app screen.

Install clockwork mod recovery (recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.5-u8160.img):

Copy the file to SD card (also copy r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip at the same time) and use recovery manager to install.

Reboot into recovery mode (using the option in recovery manager).

Wipe the two partitions and install: r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip

(use power button to select items from menu). May take a couple of mins to complete.

Hope that helps someone! :-)

JC

Guest b1g1an

Much appreciated, I'm completely new to Android phones but got my lad a Smart for his birthday. Unlocked it straight away and wanted to debrand but haven't really got the time to learn all the ins and outs of Android at the moment.

Do I take it that the USB debugging mode is the same that you put it into for dc-unlocker and are the drivers you mentioned the same ones I've already installed to unlock it?

Do I take it that the USB debugging mode is the same that you put it into for dc-unlocker and are the drivers you mentioned the same ones I've already installed to unlock it?

No, debugging mode is configurable from the normal Android settings menu under the "Applications" section, then select "Development.

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable guys will be along in a minute to warn that we should take a firmware backup before starting... also remember this is at your own risk etc and if it goes wrong you're likely to be on your own. I thought it was worth the risk, but others may feel differently.

Good luck! :-)

JC

Guest Sebastian404

Hi JC, just one point.

Install astro file manahger from marketplace...

Place RecoveryManager_v0.36b.apk on the SD card and install using a file manager of your choice (ie astro)!

Theres no need to download astro file manager, the Smart comes with one in the stock rom.. 'File Manager' you need to press the SDcard icon at the top to browse the SD card..

The other thing you might want to note is that I have replaced the zip file from the original I uploaded since I'd made a slight type that stopped Google Car Home working, and I took the chance to replace Splash Screen with a Standard one.

if you want to 'upgrade' do a clockwork backup of your current device, then install the update.zip and do a selective restore of just your cache and data partitions....

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest b1g1an

Thanks guys, running out of excuses not to!

Nice update too Sebastian, was in two minds whether to wait to see if you fixed the splash screen any time soon as that seems to be the most obvious piece of branding. As you yourself said, Vodafone seem to have been fairly relaxed on imposing themselves on this phone despite it carrying their name. Thanks again.

Theres no need to download astro file manager, the Smart comes with one in the stock rom.. 'File Manager' you need to press the SDcard icon at the top to browse the SD card..

Many thanks, I wasn't aware of that! Really nice work on the firmware. I must have downloaded after you made the change as I went from the default hourglass (what were they thinking) to the green Android and the whole phone feels so much more "polished" now. Considering that this phone's now available for under £50 new online in the UK, I'm stunned as to how good it is.

Is anyone working on Cyanogenmod or 2.3? Does the handset even have enough RAM or flash? I'm familiar with Linux but unsure where to start....

Guest MikeWalsh

I installed ROM Manager but it tells me my device isn't rooted.

Anyone have advice on compatible steps for this phone that can be done from OSX?

Guest b1g1an
Considering that this phone's now available for under £50 new online in the UK,

Where'd you see that, I paid £55 for my sons. If you can now get them that cheap I might have to get one for myself, really impressed and I'm a long term iPhone user.

Guest b1g1an

Phew, got there in the end!

Got stuck rooting it because as no one picked up up on my question about the drivers I didn't think I had to do anything other than I did to unlock it. Worked it out in the end. Did it all in an XP VM through Fusion on the Mac if anyone is interested.

Few anxious moments when wiping the phone but job done. Thanks guys.

Guest MikeWalsh
Many thanks Sebastian404, really nice to have a "clean" device! For those that are (like I was) unsure what to do, these are the steps I took to root and update:

I unlocked using dc-unlocker.... then:

Rooted the phone using the latest shortfuse: http://shortfuse.org/ SuperOneClickv1.9-ShortFuse.Drivers.rar

("You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode / You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed")

I haven't been able to reach shortfuse.org at all this week.

How did you use it to root your smart? Does anyone have an md5 of the archive from the site to make sure other mirrors don't have extra malware added in?

I hope it works from inside VmWare Fusion because I don't have a Windows machine.

I'm trying to root my smart so I can install the debranded firmware and REALLY hitting a brick wall.

Thanks

Guest MikeWalsh
Phew, got there in the end!

Got stuck rooting it because as no one picked up up on my question about the drivers I didn't think I had to do anything other than I did to unlock it. Worked it out in the end. Did it all in an XP VM through Fusion on the Mac if anyone is interested.

Few anxious moments when wiping the phone but job done. Thanks guys.

DC Unlocker just hangs or says the phone model and fastboot 0.5 and then " Phone not found "when I try to unlock on Windows 7 with VMWare Fusion :)

Edited by MikeWalsh

Guest b1g1an

Did that to me a couple of times, I just quit everything, rebooted the VM and it was fine but I used XP and I've read elsewhere of people who had problems with other OSs. I think it might have gotten upset when I kept switching between Fusion and Firefox on the Mac side. It also got in a bit of an arse when it kept mounting the SD card so make sure you plug the phone in and unmount the card before you use SuperOneClick.

I got SuperOneClick from here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

...direct download at the end of the first first post, newer version than kcip mentioned but worked fine.

Edited by b1g1an

Guest Daniel Meah
Did that to me a couple of times, I just quit everything, rebooted the VM and it was fine but I used XP and I've read elsewhere of people who had problems with other OSs. I think it might have gotten upset when I kept switching between Fusion and Firefox on the Mac side. It also got in a bit of an arse when it kept mounting the SD card so make sure you plug the phone in and unmount the card before you use SuperOneClick.

I got SuperOneClick from here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

...direct download at the end of the first first post, newer version than kcip mentioned but worked fine.

z4root is another good app for rooting this phone.

Guest b1g1an

Is it? All the apps apart from SuperOneClick said they probably don't work anymore and as I knew nothing about Android I went for the one that inspired at least a small piece of confidence.

Guest dabl8

The links for the roms aren't working :-(

Edit: my bad, the main link is ok, just a bit slow. the mirror is broken however.

Edited by dabl8

Guest Jekle
Hi JC, just one point.

The other thing you might want to note is that I have replaced the zip file from the original I uploaded since I'd made a slight type that stopped Google Car Home working, and I took the chance to replace Splash Screen with a Standard one.

if you want to 'upgrade' do a clockwork backup of your current device, then install the update.zip and do a selective restore of just your cache and data partitions....

Any new version coming soon? Thanks

Guest Sebastian404
The links for the roms aren't working :-(

Edit: my bad, the main link is ok, just a bit slow. the mirror is broken however.

Unfortunately 6 months on and the main site is still being hammered to death, lots and lots of dead links to files that I removed due to exessive traffic, mostly from people posting 'how to unblock your SF' and directly linking to my site... at one point last year I burnt through 200GB in 3 days..

It's part of the reason I'm running two sites now, I started the process of migrating to a better host, but I never finished that, lazy-ness claims another victim!

I've just flown back in from Europe and I got a TEXT alert from my provider for the mirror site that it had died just as I was getting on my flight, so I was not able to do that much about it, its back up now tho (I hope)

Guest Sebastian404
Any new version coming soon? Thanks

I've been talking to some guys about porting CM7 to the device, if they manage that, as we found out on the Blade that is the death of customized ROMS and everyone just migrates to CM7

Not had a lot of time for anything of late between work, moving house and travel.. hopefully things will settle down soon and I'll re-visit this... tho the new Alcatel OT-990 will be out soon, not to mention the ZTE devices.... who knows :)

Guest Jekle
I've been talking to some guys about porting CM7 to the device, if they manage that, as we found out on the Blade that is the death of customized ROMS and everyone just migrates to CM7

Not had a lot of time for anything of late between work, moving house and travel.. hopefully things will settle down soon and I'll re-visit this... tho the new Alcatel OT-990 will be out soon, not to mention the ZTE devices.... who knows :)

Another Very Similar device if the Orange Stockholm it is a u8180, the same Qualcomm 528MHz but has a 3.2mp camera instead. Maybe CWM can be ported to it?

Guest Daniel Meah
Is it? All the apps apart from SuperOneClick said they probably don't work anymore and as I knew nothing about Android I went for the one that inspired at least a small piece of confidence.

Yeh i rooted mine with z4root!

• 1 year later...
Guest ReyTech

About RELEASE

Currently very much a work in-progress custom ROM for the Vodafone 858 Smart/Huawei U8160 device. The Stock rom has very little customization, but what there was had to go... smile.gif

This ROM is based on the Vodafone Smart, U8160V100R001C02B617 ROM shipped the current device,

Features

• Based on the U8160V100R001C02B617 ROM
  • Removed bundled vodafone applcations.
  • Removed bundled Cooltek Keyboard.
  • Reverted to default homescreen layout.
  • Reverted to standard Android Splash screen
  • Added livewallpapers.
  • Added Google Voice.
  • Added Google Deskclock.
  • Added Google Car Home
  • Updated Google Market Application.
  • Updated Google Maps.
  • Updated Google Muisc.
  • Updated Google Mail.
  • Updated Google Voicesearch.
  • Added ChainsDD' SuperUser Application.
  • Updated Busybox to v1.17.4.
  • Added international APN list.

DISCLAIMER : I am not responsive for any consequences of installing this update, any house-fires, stray cats, legal action resulting from your use of it is ENTIRELY your own look out.

Please see next post below this one for the changes in each release.

Downloads
    • r0_de-branded_u8160-update-signed.zip (mirror) - MD5 : f3e4be5e6b5a1bce771625767cce88f2

This update files is to be used with a custom recovery boot partition, as its impossible to sign for the standard recovery, you will need to have a custom recovery installed, for example ClockworkMod recovery.

Installation
      CAUTION: This update will wipe your userdata during installation, back it up if you want to keep it.
      Install this ROM using ClockworkMod Recovery:
      • Download the update zip above and copy to your SD card.
      • Restart your device in recovery mode (turn on your device with 'Power' & 'Volume Down' buttons held down).
      • Use the recovery menu to apply the update file.

Compatibility

This ROM should work with all models of the Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160

Upgrading

A wipe is required to use this ROM regardless of which ROM you have been using previously.

Reverting to stock

A stock ROM image for most devices can be found in this topic.

Known Issues

[*]none

Future development

[*]de-odex

[*]re-sign with test keys

[*]Fixing the issues people no-doubt find.

hi!

thanks for the rom! i was wondering if this or any official rom has french in it?! coz i searched all the stock roms and could not find one with french language! so pls inform?

WBR

reytech.