[Theme] JGM Software Gingerbread Theme

Guest TheManicGibbon

Guest TheManicGibbon

Thanks flibblesan, that's great. I was working on V2 anyway which adds a bit more "Gingerbreadness" ;) so that will fix the bug for me, great!

I'm having real problems with APKTool which is why I couldn't change it. I know that when you decompile the apk, the values folder(s) appears, and change the appropriate value in styles.xml. I know that when recompiled, this folder is part of resources.arsc...but when I extract resources.arsc and place it in my original apk, the phone never boots. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what!? It's driving me up the wall!

Guest Simon O

I had a few problems doing this. First problem was that apktool just flatly refused to recompile the theme that TheManicGibbon made so I ended up completely re-doing this on a stock B136 framework.

apktool d --keep-broken-res
Very important this. Seems that the framework has some errors which apktool doesn't like. Also should mention that using that switch didn't help with recompiling the already edited theme which sucked. So now that apktool has decompiled the framework, it also listed some errors. I deleted the folders listed (the ones with ERR in the name) which then allowed apktool to compile the framework without any errors. Then I edited the XML files to change colours. This guide came in useful. Make a note of the files you have edited! Once you've finished editing your xml files and you are happy, build!
apktool b framework-res

Once built enter the 'framework-res' folder and you'll see a folder called 'build'. Enter this, then enter 'apk' folder. This is the build components of the framework.

Now the hard bits!

rename your original framework-res.apk to framework-res.zip and open with WinRAR.

Drag and drop the NEW resources.arsc file from the folder into the WinRAR window. Use compression method 'store' then press ok. That's step 1 done.

Next in the WinRAR window open the res folder. Now you need to drag and drop the edited XML files from the build/apk folder on your computer into the winrar replacing the original files. Make sure the location is correct. Use the default compression method.

Final step you need to replace images. drag and drop the new images and save using the STORE method again.

When finished close winrar and rename the framework-res.zip to framework-res.apk

Guest Cirno
And for people to play with (and ManicGibbon to look at) I've uploaded a quick pack that will flash the new theme along with edited system apps. When I release my rom I'll have a facility to theme system apps on the fly.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpu8v33cdw8o45b

This is only for B136

So this one will not work with B160?

TheManicGibbon's version worked quite well with B160, only bug was the menu text were black.

Guest Simon O
So this one will not work with B160?

TheManicGibbon's version worked quite well with B160, only bug was the menu text were black.

You can try it, it might work. But it's built from the B136 framework so I don't know.

Guest That-Guy
And for people to play with (and ManicGibbon to look at) I've uploaded a quick pack that will flash the new theme along with edited system apps. When I release my rom I'll have a facility to theme system apps on the fly.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpu8v33cdw8o45b

This is only for B136

Downloading now, will let you know if I find any bugs!

Guest genti7
You can try it, it might work. But it's built from the B136 framework so I don't know.

Works fine with the B160 here it also has the gingerbread laucher, thank you very much flibblesan

Guest Simon O
Works fine with the B160 here it also has the gingerbread laucher, thank you very much flibblesan

Actually it's the original launcher themed ;)

Guest That-Guy

Flibblesan are you going to create a separate thread for your theme or are you saving the theme for your first ROM?

Was going to add it to the Ultimate U8800 Thread thats all ;)

Also feel free to edit/add/change/update anything in the thread you stuck for me :P

Guest Simon O
Flibblesan are you going to create a separate thread for your theme or are you saving the theme for your first ROM?

Was going to add it to the Ultimate U8800 Thread thats all ;)

Also feel free to edit/add/change/update anything in the thread you stuck for me :P

Going to leave this here for TheManicGibbon to play with. When I get the rom released there will be an option to download the theme too.

Guest That-Guy
Going to leave this here for TheManicGibbon to play with. When I get the rom released there will be an option to download the theme too.

OK won't add it to the guide then, will wait until your ROM is released ;)

Erm, sorry for asking a stupid question, but how do I install the theme..? Do I have to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed first..?

Guest That-Guy
Erm, sorry for asking a stupid question, but how do I install the theme..? Do I have to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed first..?

Yes you will need ClockworkMod installed first ;)

THIS GUIDE may help you!

Alright, so I have to backup the original file before replacing it. ;)

As for the theme, just rename it to update.zip, and select 'apple update from sdcard', am I right...?

Guest That-Guy
Alright, so I have to backup the original file before replacing it. :D

As for the theme, just rename it to update.zip, and select 'apple update from sdcard', am I right...?

Yes backup the original recovery just incase ;)

No you don't need to rename the zip file just go into Clockwork and select "Install zip from SD Card"

Good Luck :P

Great! Haha, thanks for your help mate! Really appreciate it. =D

Edited: Tested the theme by Flibblesan, it's not working, keeps stuck at IDEOS logo and reboot (infinite loop). Now revert back to the original, hope everything's fine. Gonna try again tomorrow. Almost got a heart attack thought I bricked my phone. Haha. :x

Edited by Xann

Guest Simon O
Great! Haha, thanks for your help mate! Really appreciate it. =D

Edited: Tested the theme by Flibblesan, it's not working, keeps stuck at IDEOS logo and reboot (infinite loop). Now revert back to the original, hope everything's fine. Gonna try again tomorrow. Almost got a heart attack thought I bricked my phone. Haha. :x

Which ROM are you using on your phone?

Guest Simon O
It works for me great ,but i really miss the percentage of battery left in the right top corner.

I'll work on adding that soon ;)

Guest Cirno
I'm using U8800HV100R001C00B136. ;)

Ouch !

You used a theme designed for U8800 packages, however using a U8800H and using the rom designed for it, not good :S