From Blade to Galaxy S

Guest Kthulhu

Guest Kthulhu

Hi all, just want to share a few experiences of my new Galaxy S.

After using my great "rare" OLED San Francisco ZTE Blade (soon in EBAY :P ) I am hook to android. So I decide to get a more powerful device. Defy and Desire were close targets, but a recent offer and the 4" AMOLED screen made buy the Galaxy S.

It is fast mate ;) I am amazed with the speed you get wifi reconnection, browsing and installing apps.

Phone looks is pretty cool although plastic material feels fragile. I think that volumen is difficult to access sometimes, and mine is a bit loose although perfectly working .

Camera quality is superb but position could be also improved - is quite easy to cover the lens with your finger. Any case, there had to be room for a galaxy S II :D

Conclusion: the blade is the best value for money, but the galaxy worth it high price.

QUESTIONS:

I came from the Blade community were the 1st thing to do is to change to stock firmware, but I found that the galaxy one is pretty good. I installed launcher pro but the stock launcher is cool as well. Does some body would recommend a good custom room? Why?

I am going to try to update to Gingerbread using Kies; I think all my data-apps will be erased. Is there any way made a back up without rooting?

I would like to root the device to use Titanium and a few other good apps but I am scare of breaking the warranty. Is there any way to un root the galaxy?

Edited by Kthulhu

Guest swisstourist

you went from slow to fast, and from rich to poor now !

cuz now u money is gone!

i think people here who bought a blade, it s because they want experience the android at a low cost.

it s my first android, and i wont buy a samsung galaxy at 500$ or more.

this market is ridiculous with all these phone popping out every 3 months with no real tech advance(oh yeah, the 3D, buy now headach!!!).... by chance blade is here to save our wallet!

Guest PAUL1897

I just sold my Blade for £71 on Fleabay ( bought for £90 )

Did the the 2.3 upgrade and wen to ZEAM launcher because it is small and fast

The SGS is almost boringly good

I dont have to go into flight mode to play games anymore

Pumped it full of apps and I still have 120 megs left

I have bought a spare back cover and very big gell case

i suspect i will £120 for it next year when i am board

Paul1897

Guest tanivula

I did the same - bought a blade to see if touchscreen/android was my cup of tea. Since have bought the i9000, happy as larry. There was a big increase in things to change from the blade though! Modems/basebands/CSC etc etc! Was all a bit much to begin with.

Been constantly changing ROMs and currently running a 2.3.4 one. Man it's fast! So smooth. I haven't really settled on a launcher of choice, but it would have to be a toss up between zeam and go launcher ex.

If you want a reliable ginger ROM then don't look past Juwes 4.3.1 here. He's going to be releasing V5 soon based on 2.3.4 (JVP) which I'm eyeing up for the next flash!

Just be careful with the ginger roms if you are coming from froyo as you need to flash through ODIN first time round, repartitioning and getting new bootloaders. If you want to go back to froyo the same applies. There are some minor bugs in the 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 roms but nothing major in my opinion.

Guest Atomix86

I'm the same as Kthulu phone-change wise: picked up an Orange San Francisco on offer not too long ago, then got my free upgrade to a Galaxy S on my contract yesterday. I have to say, although I love what the Blade offers for its price, the two phones really are worlds apart; the Galaxy S is an utterly fantastic phone. Don't think i'll be using custom roms on this bad boy though, it seems to be super fast and have tons of sotrage as is (which was my main gripe with the Blade). As for being "poor" for buying a phone, that's not the case at all, free contract upgrades ftw :)

Edited by Atomix86

Guest balb0wa

Just done the switch myself from blade to galaxy s, what a nice phone it is :-)) love it.

Upgraded through kies to 2.3.3 , darent root it and try 2.3.4 lol

Edited by balb0wa

Guest balb0wa

Not sure how, but ive muddled through, went back to 2.2 from 2.3, installed the latest cyanmod rom nightly 37 2.4, running sweet as a nut, lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest timmeh.timmeh.timmeh
I'm the same as Kthulu phone-change wise: picked up an Orange San Francisco on offer not too long ago, then got my free upgrade to a Galaxy S on my contract yesterday. I have to say, although I love what the Blade offers for its price, the two phones really are worlds apart; the Galaxy S is an utterly fantastic phone. Don't think i'll be using custom roms on this bad boy though, it seems to be super fast and have tons of sotrage as is (which was my main gripe with the Blade). As for being "poor" for buying a phone, that's not the case at all, free contract upgrades ftw :blink:

dude! seriously??

I've got an SGS, and i've been running custom ROMs on it for about 6 months.

Even though Sammy's produced a great phone, their ROM devs have stuck to RFS for the file system. Once you've used your SGS for a while you'll start to notice slowdowns and general crappyness... which is in large part due to the use of the RFS filesystem.

Most of the custom ROMs use Ext4 as the filesystem for system and data partitions, which speed things up considerably on FROYO. I've ready that the difference isn't nearly so noticable on GINGERBREAD, but then you've got to watch out for the Android OS bug, which can kill your battery life in 4-5 hours depending on severity.

If you've got an SGS you owe it to yourself to go custom - just make sure you pick a build that's based on JVP or JVQ to get around the Android OS bug, and hope you don't come across too many other issues (i've been running a JVP ROM for a couple of weeks now, and it's very very nice).

one of my mates saw the phone and was impressed at how FAST!!! it was - and he also owns an SGS - which is running stock FROYO, so the jump os truly worth doing! =)

timmeh!

Guest Atomix86
dude! seriously??

I've got an SGS, and i've been running custom ROMs on it for about 6 months.

Even though Sammy's produced a great phone, their ROM devs have stuck to RFS for the file system. Once you've used your SGS for a while you'll start to notice slowdowns and general crappyness... which is in large part due to the use of the RFS filesystem.

Most of the custom ROMs use Ext4 as the filesystem for system and data partitions, which speed things up considerably on FROYO. I've ready that the difference isn't nearly so noticable on GINGERBREAD, but then you've got to watch out for the Android OS bug, which can kill your battery life in 4-5 hours depending on severity.

If you've got an SGS you owe it to yourself to go custom - just make sure you pick a build that's based on JVP or JVQ to get around the Android OS bug, and hope you don't come across too many other issues (i've been running a JVP ROM for a couple of weeks now, and it's very very nice).

one of my mates saw the phone and was impressed at how FAST!!! it was - and he also owns an SGS - which is running stock FROYO, so the jump os truly worth doing! =)

timmeh!

I have dabbled in custom roms since that post, but found most had problems keeping them from being perfectly stable, I am considering giving the EXTRAordinary 3 rom a try with the cf root kernel, so watch this space :blink:

I have dabbled in custom roms since that post, but found most had problems keeping them from being perfectly stable, I am considering giving the EXTRAordinary 3 rom a try with the cf root kernel, so watch this space :blink:

if you're looking for SGS stuff, my two favourite places are XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com) and Darky's ROM (http://www.darkyrom.com)... =)

hope you get as much out of hte SGS as i do. =)

Guest Atomix86
if you're looking for SGS stuff, my two favourite places are XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com) and Darky's ROM (http://www.darkyrom.com)... =)

hope you get as much out of hte SGS as i do. =)

I'm browsing XDA all the time lol I just don't like their stupid posting system so you won't see me writing on there. Had a look at Darky's and I love the fact it's very clean and bloat free, but noticed it's still on JVH 2.3.3, I'll keep my eye out for updates though.

Guest Kthulhu
dude! seriously??

Less be fair: with Gingerbread there is no big problem with RFS files, and the android 2.3 battery bug happens only to some people.

Any case, custom rom may improve phone perfomance..which is already very good with stock sammsung rom. This probably will be better with the offical 2.3.4.

I'm browsing XDA all the time lol I just don't like their stupid posting system so you won't see me writing on there. Had a look at Darky's and I love the fact it's very clean and bloat free, but noticed it's still on JVH 2.3.3, I'll keep my eye out for updates though.

if you're willing to play a bit, there are JVP and JVQ base ROMs in the Beta section.

I've been running JVP base for a few weeks and have only had a couple of small issues, which is great for a beta ROM.

The main dev should start working on the 10.2 release in a week or so, and it's going to be based on the JVQ files - so if you're not keen for a beta ROM, then wait for 10.2

=)

Less be fair: with Gingerbread there is no big problem with RFS files, and the android 2.3 battery bug happens only to some people.

Any case, custom rom may improve phone perfomance..which is already very good with stock sammsung rom. This probably will be better with the offical 2.3.4.

fair call.. i do like the clean out you get with a custom rom, and the extra tweaks that the Darky's crew pull in from the rest of the SGS community do make a difference - Voodoo Sound is one amazing reason all by itself!

=)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest lepidas

Just bought a SGS Plus a week ago, previous phone was the ZTE BLADE.

Well, the samsung is much much better, super amoled bla bla 1.4ghz bla bla bla

except the issue with the GPS fix. BLADE was able to have GPS fix in some seconds, samsung wants a minute or more.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...