Attempting to add 3G modem support

Guest Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

Someone on XDA Developers has done the work to add 3G modem support to the Acer A500 so I thought (now we can safely unbrick transformers with NVFlash) I'd give it a try on the Transformer.

The original thread is here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118639

So what I've done is after a full nandroid backup and individual backups of affected files is apply all the files from the zip file in that thread apart from build.prop.

For build.prop I've backed up the file and added the following lines at the bottom.

WW_epad.3g=true

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libhuawei-ril.so

rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2

ro.pad.features.modem=true

So far everything seems to boot OK and BT/wifi networking seems unaffected but sadly I've left my 3G modem at home today so finding out if it actually does anything useful will have to wait till this evening.

-- Edit --

3g Support is now working thanks to the work of maxh2003, Kasimodo and of course Dexter_nlb over at the XDA Forums who developed the original patch for the Acer A500.

Kasimodo has published a full HowTo on getting this 3G support working over on the XDA Forums and suggested that I copy in here as well:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1151097

There is probably other ways to make the 3G Dongle working on TF101 but here you can find how we have done.

1. You have to backup all your data/apk from your Internal SD Card because we will make a clean install. So use Titanium Backup for example.

Becareful. Titanium Backup backups files on the internal SD Card so afterwards, you have to move it to your MicroSD (from /mnt/sdcard/Titatium Backup to /data/Removable/MicroSD)

2. Download NVFlash: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccda97c/n/nvflash.zip then the NVFlash version of Prime v1.5: http://www.sdx-downloads.com/devs/ro...vflash.tar.bz2

3. unpack NVFlash and Prime v1.5 in the same directory.

4. Connect your TF101 to your PC via USB.

Then Press Power holding Volume Down (the 2 buttons simultaneously). The Screen stays black but USB works and a NEW device name APX appears in the Device Manager.

5. Click on the APX to install drivers from directory USBPCDriver (included in NVFlash.zip)

info: don't work for me under Windows 7 64 Bits. I used Windows XP 32 bits.

6. Then run Download.bat if you are on Windows, download.sh for Linux users

7. When NVFlash is ended, reboot your TF101.

During boot, there is a setup wizard. Choose connection with "3G and Wifi", not "only Wifi"!!

At this step, you must have the Mobile Network option in Parameters.

8. Download Maxh2003 Script: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?...=post&id=73836 (you need to be a register user!)

Download the Patch files for ACER A500 tab: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...8&d=1309189189

9. Unzip the script and the Patch file in the same directory.

10. Connect your TF101 and run install-TF101.bat

11. Wait and see...

Compatibility:

This patch must work for

* ZTE MF 639 (might need roaming enabled to get data working)

* Vodafone K3765-H

* Vodafone K3715

* Vodafone K3565 / Huawei E160

* Huawei E169

* Huawai E170

* Huawai E171

* Huawei E173

* Huawei E1550

* Huawei E1692

* Huawei E1750

* Huawei E1752

* Huawei E1820

* HUAWEI K3520

* HUAWEI K3565 -Rev 2

About LED on HUAWEI 3G Dongle:

The LED indicator displays the current connection status of your Orange E1752 dongle, with each colour representing a different status:

When the LED displays green and is blinking twice every three seconds, this means that the dongle is powered on.

When the LED displays green and is blinking once every three seconds, this means that the dongle is attempting to register onto a 2G network.

When the LED displays blue and is blinking once every three seconds, this means that the dongle is attempting to register onto a 3G network.

When the LED displays solid green, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 2G network.

When the LED displays solid blue, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 3G network.

When the LED displays solid cyan, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 3G+ network

When the LED displays no colour, this means that the dongle is removed.

And dont forget to turn off the composite device of the 3G dongle.

Here how to do (thanks to Matchstick from Modaco):

You can test this by plugging the stick into a PC and seeing if it detects the modem as a CD or Memory stick device as well as a modem.

If it does then the method I used to turn off the composite device (on Windows 7) was:

1) Install the software and drivers for the modem under windows and make sure that the connection software sees the modem correctly.

2) Go to Settings/Control Panel/Device Manager and if you expand the Modems section you should see your USB modem listed there

3) Double click on the entry for the modem to get the properties panel up and selected the Modem tab

4) You should see a line at the very top of the tab that says something like Port: COM11 - This is the virtual serial port that the PC uses to talk to the modem which we're going to use to send the command to turn off all the stuff we don't want.

5) Next we want to install a serial console application. PuTTY is perfect for this. If you don't have a copy you can get if from here,

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.....;/download.html

6) Run putty, select Serial under Connection Typem and enter the port we found in step 4 (eg COM11) into the box marked Serial Line and press the Open button

7) An empty window should pop up, which if things are working correctly is connected to the Modem

8) Type "ATI" into the window (without the quotes) and press return. The ATI command asks the modem for basic information and it should respond with something like

Manufacturer: huawei

Model: E1752

Revision: 11.126.03.01.314

IMEI: 123456789012345

+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK

9) If you see this then you are connected correctly, if you don't see a response try physicaly unplugging and reconnecting the modem into a different USB port and start again from step 2 after windows has loaded the drivers for the modem.

10) Assuming everything is OK, the we can send the command to turn off the stuff we don't want. To do this simply type "AT^U2DIAG=0" (again without quotes) into the putty window. you should see the response OK.

11) If you do then the composite device features should now be turned off and you are ready to try the modem in your transformer.

Edited by Matchstick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matchstick
I'm guessing not, but did this work?

Sadly not.

It appears that it IS possible to communicate with the USB modem using built in drivers.

I opened two adb shells and entered into one

tail -f /dev/ttyUSB0

and in the other

echo "ATI" > /dev/ttyUSB0

Initially nothing appears but if you physically unplug the modem you see the standard modem information that the ATI command returns.

(I don't have my Transformer to hand so I can't give you the exact output I'm seeing)

So clearly Android has at least a basic interface interface to the modem, but that's a long way from getting everything running.

I've tried manually kicking off rild via the shell but while the stock RIL Daemon runs it doesn't seem to actually do anything and the rild from the A500 patch tries loading what I think are the correct modules then fails.

Now the latest Transformer source is out I think I'll have a look at the rild source over the weekend but frankly it's unlikely to make much sense to me (I write software for a living but sadly it's Oracle database and Java web stuff rather than anything useful for this).

Edited by Matchstick

Guest Kasimodo

Hello,

I've tried too, but this time by using "adb push" command.

Like you I've modified the "build.prop" file.

=> NO 3G Dongle working, with or without SIM card!

I think drivers "option.ko" and "usb_wwan.ko" work and RIL daemon too (I've tried with the A500 file and with RILD file from Prime! v1.5)

=> Same thing.

Any idea?

Guest Matchstick
Hello,

I've tried too, but this time by using "adb push" command.

Like you I've modified the "build.prop" file.

=> NO 3G Dongle working, with or without SIM card!

I think drivers "option.ko" and "usb_wwan.ko" work and RIL daemon too (I've tried with the A500 file and with RILD file from Prime! v1.5)

=> Same thing.

Any idea?

I notice that the A500 thread has been updated with a patch for the A500 version of Android 3.1 so I'm wondering whether there's anything interesting in that.

As for the setting there are two possibilities that spring to mind, one that the Settings.apk on the Transformer doesn't include the 3G settings at all, in which case we will need to find a compatible version that does. The second is that the apk does include the 3G setting but something needs ti be set, possibky in the build.prop file or maybe somewhere else that's needed to activate it.

This would be alot easier if we had a 3G version of the Transformer to compare with.

Guest maxh2003

The A500 3.1 files work fine on TF101 Prime 1.5 with Clemsyn-Blades-CPAjuste-supercurio OC kernel version 16 combo (1.6/1.7ghz) with my Huawei 1752Cu (O2 branded). Just follow the XDA post linked in the OP above; you need to:

* set your USB modem to mount only as a modem, not as a composite device with a virtual CD

* remount filesystem as read-write

* push all 12 files from the SYSTEM part of the A500 3.1 zip to your TF101, creating directories where needed - for instance

* edit your build.prop file, to include the four extra lines found at the bottom of the build.prop in the A500 zip file ( WW_epad.3g=true etc.)

* run the chmod statements shown in the original XDA post

* reboot the TF101

* plug in your 3G stick

* set an access point in Android (option should have become enabled when you plugged in the stick)

* at this point, my 3G stick works perfectly in Android without any further intervention

My notes from doing this on my own TF101 (all credits to the guys on XDA, of course, I'm just doing what they said) look like this, hope it helps... I think some of the necessary mkdir statements are missing for instance :

adb shell

su -

mount -orw,remount /system

exit

exit

adb push bin/rild /system/bin/

adb push bin/rild.run /system/bin/

adb push etc/apns-conf.xml /system/etc/

adb push etc/permissions/android.hardware.telephony.gsm.xml /system/etc/permissions/

adb shell

su -

mkdir /system/etc/ppp/peers

exit

exit

adb push etc/ppp/peers/gprs /system/etc/ppp/peers/

adb push etc/ppp/peers/pppd-ril.options /system/etc/ppp/peers/

adb push etc/ppp/gprs-connect-chat /system/etc/ppp/

adb push etc/ppp/ip-down /system/etc/ppp/

adb push etc/ppp/ip-up /system/etc/ppp/

adb push lib/libhuawei-ril.so /system/lib/

adb push lib/option.ko /system/lib/

adb push lib/usb_wwan.ko /system/lib/

adb pull /system/build.prop

(edit build.prop at this point)

adb push build.prop /system/build.prop

chmod 4755 /system/bin/pppd

chmod 4755 /system/bin/rild

chmod 755 /system/bin/rild.run

chmod -R 755 /system/etc/ppp

Guest Matchstick

Thanks for that maxh2003

I just noticed the posts in the XDA post and the original version of this posts mentioned them, but you beat me to it :)

It's a bit late in the day to try installing Prime and the OC kernel so I just tried applying the changes to my existing MCR v7 and I'm not seeing the 3G section in settings.

It may be that I haven't got build.prop right

#

# 3G Modem Support Changes

#

WW_epad.3g=true

I've also tried copying the Settings.apk and SettingsProvider.apk from the Prime ROM to my Transformer to see if that makes any difference but it doesn't.

Unless there's somenthing obviously wrong with the build.prop, I'll have to try installing the full Prime rom and OCed kernel tomorrow.

Edited by Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

Hmmm just tried with Prime 1.5 and Clemsyn without any luck either, I just never seem to see the 3G option in settings, no matter what I do (Tried with E1572, E160G and E220 all with composite device turned off.)

I've just tried running the rild script manually and get the output

# rild

rild

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/usb_wwan.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/option.ko' failed (Invalid argument)

the PID is 1001 the tty device is ttyUSB0 the interfacenumber is 00

the PID is 1001 the tty device is ttyUSB1 the interfacenumber is 01

the PID is 1001 the tty device is ttyUSB2 the interfacenumber is 02

Can someone who's got it working post their full build.prop ?

Edited by Matchstick

Guest maxh2003
Can someone who's got it working post their full build.prop ?

Here's mine...

# begin build properties

# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh

ro.build.id=HMJ37

ro.build.display.id=HMJ37.prime_epad-1.5-20110626

ro.build.version.incremental=US_epad-8.4.4.5-20110527

ro.build.version.sdk=12

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=3.1

ro.build.date=Fri May 27 12:51:37 GMT 2011

ro.build.date.utc=1309087602

ro.build.type=user

ro.build.user=roach

ro.build.host=nimda

ro.build.tags=release-keys

ro.product.model=EPAD

ro.product.brand=asus

ro.product.name=US_epad

ro.product.device=EeePad

ro.product.board=EeePad

ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a

ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

ro.product.manufacturer=asus

ro.product.locale.language=en

ro.product.locale.region=US

ro.wifi.channels=

ro.board.platform=tegra

# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device

ro.build.product=EeePad

# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint

ro.build.description=US_epad-user 3.1 HMJ37 epad-8.4.4.5-20110527 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=asus/US_epad/EeePad:3.1/HMJ37/epad-8.4.4.5-20110527:user/release-keys

ro.build.characteristics=tablet,nosdcard

# end build properties

ro.opengles.version = 131072

wifi.interface=wlan0

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libmbm-ril.so

rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyACM0 -i wwan0

#

# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES

#

ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg

ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg

dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m

dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m

wifi.version.driver=V5.1.42

bt.version.driver=V6.17

gps.version.driver=V1.3.1

keyguard.no_require_sim=true

drm.service.enabled=1

ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED

ro.com.google.gmsversion=3.1_pre-r1

gsm.bodysargsm=32,26,29,29

ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-asus

ro.wifi.country=US

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y

net.bt.name=Android

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

picasso.3g=true

Guest Kasimodo

Mine is same as you but no 3G and I follow all your thread.

Perhaps my 3G dongle (E1752) is not with composite device turned off.

How can I do this?

Guest Matchstick
Mine is same as you but no 3G and I follow all your thread.

Perhaps my 3G dongle (E1752) is not with composite device turned off.

How can I do this?

You can test this by plugging the stick into a PC and seeing if it detects the modem as a CD or Memory stick device as well as a modem.

If it does then the method I used to turn off the composite device (on Windows 7) was:

1) Install the software and drivers for the modem under windows and make sure that the connection software sees the modem correctly.

2) Go to Settings/Control Panel/Device Manager and if you expand the Modems section you should see your USB modem listed there

3) Double click on the entry for the modem to get the properties panel up and selected the Modem tab

4) You should see a line at the very top of the tab that says something like Port: COM11 - This is the virtual serial port that the PC uses to talk to the modem which we're going to use to send the command to turn off all the stuff we don't want.

5) Next we want to install a serial console application. PuTTY is perfect for this. If you don't have a copy you can get if from here,

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha...y/download.html

6) Run putty, select Serial under Connection Typem and enter the port we found in step 4 (eg COM11) into the box marked Serial Line and press the Open button

7) An empty window should pop up, which if things are working correctly is connected to the Modem

8) Type "ATI" into the window (without the quotes) and press return. The ATI command asks the modem for basic information and it should respond with something like

Manufacturer: huawei

Model: E1752

Revision: 11.126.03.01.314

IMEI: 353444040611124

+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK

9) If you see this then you are connected correctly, if you don't see a response try physicaly unplugging and reconnecting the modem into a different USB port and start again from step 2 after windows has loaded the drivers for the modem.

10) Assuming everything is OK, the we can send the command to turn off the stuff we don't want. To do this simply type "AT^U2DIAG=0" (again without quotes) into the putty window. you should see the response OK.

11) If you do then the composite device features should now be turned off and you are ready to try the modem in your transformer.

Edited by Matchstick

Guest Kasimodo

ok.

Thank you Matchstick.

Actually i've already done these steps. Sorry. I've followed some steps without knowing exactly what I was doing. I just knew that I have to do it!

Well... I've tried some more tests but inforunately, 3G Dongle doesn't seem to work even with the Maxh2003 explanations

Guest Matchstick

maxh2003, thanks for that

Sadly for some reason, like Kasimodo, even using that build.prop my transformer doesn't want to show the 3G settings page.

The modem does seem to react (the light flashing frequency changes) when I enter

stop ril-daemon

start ri-daemon

I'm wondering if there's different versions of Settings.apk or SettingsProvider.apk which determines whether you can see the 3G menu ?

The MD5 Hashes for the versions I have are

Settings.apk = e4a8ba1c86589f864db79f7717014a60

SettingsProvider.apk = c144fa36f3c91815675470f7b66cced2

The other possibility that I can think of right now is that I'm using OSX to edit build.prop and move the files around.

I'll see if I can find time tomorrow to redo the process from scratch using windows.

Guest maxh2003
3G settings page

3G menu

I'm not sure what you mean by 3G Settings Page. I have the following settings/options in respect of the modem:

Settings => Wireless & networks => Mobile networks => Data enabled / Data Roaming / Access Point Names / Use only 2G networks (greyed when the modem is unplugged) / Network operators.

There isn't anything else in the UI for me. Is that menu what you can't access?

With the 1752, I noticed the modem seemed to flash blue once the Transformer had installed it correctly. Does yours proceed to flash blue, or does it stick on green and red flashes?

Guest Matchstick
I'm not sure what you mean by 3G Settings Page. I have the following settings/options in respect of the modem:

Settings => Wireless & networks => Mobile networks => Data enabled / Data Roaming / Access Point Names / Use only 2G networks (greyed when the modem is unplugged) / Network operators.

There isn't anything else in the UI for me. Is that menu what you can't access?

With the 1752, I noticed the modem seemed to flash blue once the Transformer had installed it correctly. Does yours proceed to flash blue, or does it stick on green and red flashes?

Yes, it's the Mobile Networks menu that's missing for me (screenshot shows the menu with the modm plugged in)

When plugged in the 1752 initially flashes quite rapidly green then blue then switches to a very slow blue flash.

Restarting the ril-daemon process causes the rapid flashing to start again and then it settles down to the slow flashing after a few seconds.

(I'll see if I can find a manual online and check if it says anything useful on what the flashing means)

post-364814-1309499751_thumb.png

Edited by Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

PROGRESS !!!

I just tried installing Prime v1.5 using the NVFlash route rather than via CWM (on top of MCR v7) and now (without installing the A500 drivers) there's a Mobile Networks option at the bottom of the Wireless & networks menu.

Time to push over the A500 changes, modify the build.prop and see how we get on.

- Edit - added screenshots

post-364814-1309513666_thumb.png

post-364814-1309513681_thumb.png

Edited by Matchstick

Guest Kasimodo

Sorry for the delay. I have no more connexion from my ISP.

@Maxh2003

can you make a screenshot of your 3g mobile network settings?

@Matchstick

I have tried to edit build.prop with notepad32 under Windows, nothing change!

But I've noticed that the first line of the 4 last lines is

Picasso.3g so I've tried with WW_epad.3g and US_epad.3g but nothing more. No 3g options.

@all

Here a link for leds explanations

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/475579

The LED indicator displays the current connection status of your Orange E1752 dongle, with each colour representing a different status:

When the LED displays green and is blinking twice every three seconds, this means that the dongle is powered on.

When the LED displays green and is blinking once every three seconds, this means that the dongle is attempting to register onto a 2G network.

When the LED displays blue and is blinking once every three seconds, this means that the dongle is attempting to register onto a 3G network.

When the LED displays solid green, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 2G network.

When the LED displays solid blue, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 3G network.

When the LED displays solid cyan, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 3G+ network

When the LED displays no colour, this means that the dongle is removed.

Edited by Kasimodo

Guest Matchstick
Sorry for the delay. I have no more connexion from my ISP.

@Maxh2003

can you make a screenshot of your 3g mobile network settings?

@Matchstick

I have tried to edit build.prop with notepad32 under Windows, nothing change!

But I've noticed that the first line of the 4 last lines is

Picasso.3g so I've tried with WW_epad.3g and US_epad.3g but nothing more. No 3g options.

As I mentioned in my previous mail, I think whether you see the Mobile Networks settings may have something to do wth how the Prime ROM is installed.

It will wipe your tablet, but if you can, try installing the Prime ROM using NVFlash rather than Clockwork Mod.

Guest Matchstick
i've just tried by using nvflash. Same thing

That is very strange.

Can I check which version of Prime you installed ?

I used the prime_v1.5_nvflash.tar.bz2 file from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1052380

If that's the version you used as well I'm not sure what it can be.

I don't think whether it was a US or WW version before you installed Prime should make any difference.

Do you have a 16Gb or 32Gb Transformer (mine's a 16Gb) ?

Guest Kasimodo

Yes same version as yours.

i have the 32go version of TF101 with dock of course.

Which USB port do u use? Left, right or middle with female to female USB adapter?

Guest Matchstick
Yes same version as yours.

i have the 32go version of TF101 with dock of course.

Which USB port do u use? Left, right or middle with female to female USB adapter?

I had been just using the left hand port on the dock but I've literally just got 3G sending/receiving data correctly so I tried the right hand port and that worked fine as well

(need to send

stop ril-daemin

start ril-daemon

after unplugging and plugging back in the stick)

Guest Matchstick
I've done that too.

I don't know what can I try! Lol

Could it be that there's be something slightly different about the 32Gb Transformer which prevents the menu from being shown ?