Noob Question - How do I get Ringtones into ZTE Blade?

Guest haggi7

Guest haggi7

How do I get Ringtones into ZTE Blade?

I can copy MP3's into any directories, but how does the phone recognise them as a ringtone?

Guest flshg

On your sdcard, make a set of directories:

/media/audio/ringtones

MP3s that you put in the ringtones folder can be selected in settings.

Same goes for notifications:

/media/audio/notifications

Guest haggi7

Thanks very much, that was not really obvious ...

Would you also know how to get rid of the standard ones that are not in this (new) directory?

Guest flshg

Getting rid of the standard ones is considerably more complicated. You need to have the phone rooted first: z4root app should be able to do this. Backup anything important just to be safe before attempting anything below.

Next you need a root explorer (root explorer from market, or super manager, also from market).

Navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones (it needs to be open in r/w mode)

Finally you can delete the ogg files that are the ringtones (maybe best to back up anything you delete, just in case).

Guest haggi7

Okay, I went there with Super Manager but I cannot delete the selected ogg-files (although there is no error message).

I think they are in r/w mode, but I am not sure. How do I select r/w mode ( is that by ticking the options in the "change file mode" menu?)

Guest mikeeo19
Okay, I went there with Super Manager but I cannot delete the selected ogg-files (although there is no error message).

I think they are in r/w mode, but I am not sure. How do I select r/w mode ( is that by ticking the options in the "change file mode" menu?)

First, plese read carefully what is told. Second you really need to root your phone. That means you can access to every part of your android phone. There are several app you can root your phone with. There are plenty of apps with temporar root -option. (unrooted after reboot) Z4root is one good app to do that. When you have root access to your phone, you are able to delete what ever you want.

Guest haggi7
First, plese read carefully what is told. Second you really need to root your phone. That means you can access to every part of your android phone. There are several app you can root your phone with. There are plenty of apps with temporar root -option. (unrooted after reboot) Z4root is one good app to do that. When you have root access to your phone, you are able to delete what ever you want.

Thanks mikeeo, I did read the instructions and my ZTE was rooted (uroot) before I tired the above. Any suggestions?

Guest mikeeo19
Thanks mikeeo, I did read the instructions and my ZTE was rooted (uroot) before I tired the above. Any suggestions?

Try downloading 'Root Checker' from the market and make sure it's rooted. I had some problems first time when doing a permanent root.

Guest flshg

haggi7 I think you have probably done everything correctly, it might just need a reboot. I have just tried it myself, deleted the ogg file but the entry stays in the ringtones list until a reboot.

Just to clarify, in supermanager, select file explorer

press 'back up level folder' until the top line shows "/"

then select 'system' folder. It'll ask to switch system r/w, press 'r/w'

make sure it pops up "ok"

select 'media', then 'audio', then ringtones. This should list the ringtones. The safer option is to rename the unwanted ringtone with an "oggx" extension, rather than deleting it.

Reboot phone

The ringtones list should now have less of the ones you dont want.