Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest Jacobyte

While there are few additional bells & whistles in this tablet it wouldnt be enough to make me dump my V1 Advent Vega for it. Especially if the version of Honeycomb was crippled like Froyo was .

Guest simonta
While there are few additional bells & whistles in this tablet it wouldnt be enough to make me dump my V1 Advent Vega for it. Especially if the version of Honeycomb was crippled like Froyo was .

It won't be crippled. In order to run HC, they've signed an agreement therefore no restrictions.

Guest Jacobyte

Is that a supposition or do you know for sure Shuttle has a licence? LOl you statement could be read either way!

I seem to remember the last good news was MODACO hosting the Froyo source code for the Advent Vega.. Is the good news they will be shortly hosting the Honeycomb version...

Still not sure if I would be interested in purchasing Advent Vega 1.5 doesnt seem a big enough leap.... Although an absolute must for Dixons if they want to remain competitive.....

Guest ju88a
Well I dont agree with you there Im afraid ... :blink:

Of course Kal-El gives you more powerful 3d gaming, but it wont just get used for that. Quad cores will allow much more smoother, faster web browsing for example, it will allow for a much more smoother OS in general, with newer launcher options that we haven't even thought of yet. Kal-El isn't just about 3d gaming. You could make the same argument with the Tegra2 chipset as well if you really wanted to.

Quad core will not improve web browsing, quad core is for multitasking such as opening a web browser utilizing one core and your email client utilizing another core, a web browser will not use all four cores thus there will be no improvement in the browsing experience. Think of cores as seperate processors!

just my 2cents

ju88a

Guest Richard_Arkless
Just spotted this, looks lke Vega hardware, but 1GB RAM, 8GB Nandflash & built in 3G

http://dimobile2u.blogspot.com/2011/06/and...30-101inch.html

Claims Honeycomb, but suspiciously it doesn't mention a camera here

Looks like vegacomb as the first widget is the asus digital clock which vegacomb has but honeycomb or official should not have

And the fact they arent showing the back and also the camera makes it also obvious

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Jacobyte

Thats will be a bit of a probelm for them As Flash doesnt fully work and last time I looked neither did the Camera on Vegacomb.

Guest simonta
Looks like vegacomb as the first widget is the asus digital clock which vegacomb has but honeycomb or official should not have

And the fact they arent showing the back and also the camera makes it also obvious

I can only see the HC clock widget. What are you referring to?

Guest simonta
Is that a supposition or do you know for sure Shuttle has a licence? LOl you statement could be read either way!

I seem to remember the last good news was MODACO hosting the Froyo source code for the Advent Vega.. Is the good news they will be shortly hosting the Honeycomb version...

Still not sure if I would be interested in purchasing Advent Vega 1.5 doesnt seem a big enough leap.... Although an absolute must for Dixons if they want to remain competitive.....

You're confused.

1. Modaco does not host the Froyo source. It hosts the kernel source. What has this got to do with whether DSG license a gizmo from Shuttle?

2. How can my statement be read 2 ways? HC is not, and will not be, open source. It is unlawful for anyone to distribute HC without a license. Shuttle might do that but DSG, being a UK company certainly won't (actually, I don't believe that Shuttle would either) so therefore, if they release HC on any hardware, it will be licensed.

3. The HC license is not obtainable separately to the Google apps license (see my post a few pages back) therefore any HC release from DSG will include the gapps framework and Market.

4. The only reason the Vega does not have the Market is that it's firmware is built from open source and does not have a license for the Google apps stack.

No supposition required!

Edited by simonta

Guest WWEpsp

I can only see the HC clock widget. What are you referring to?

he is talking about the Asus DATE widget, is the first of all the widgets list, its says month,day and year

Guest simonta

he is talking about the Asus DATE widget, is the first of all the widgets list, its says month,day and year

Ah, got it. Thanks. So we're calling "fake" on that video?

Quad core will not improve web browsing, quad core is for multitasking such as opening a web browser utilizing one core and your email client utilizing another core, a web browser will not use all four cores thus there will be no improvement in the browsing experience. Think of cores as seperate processors!

just my 2cents

ju88a

Of course it will improve web browsing ... How do you know how many cores a web browser will use ... ?? You don't, for example its possible that flash / HTML5 could use a seperate core to keep things moving along a bit quicker. I never said the web browser would use all four cores, only that the cores will be used for other things too.

Besides that wasn't really my point , the point I was trying to put across was that the extra cores (and memory) will help in just the general multi tasking and speed of the device, which will include web browsing. A point that you made, therefore validating mine. The simple fact is that the more 'stuff that get puts in there the quicker and more responsive the device will be. You could have a core dedictaed just to the launcher for example if you really wanted to. That would be a bit silly to be fair, but still its certainly possible.

Oh and I know what a core is ... I didnt do a computer science degree for the ladies, you don't need to treat people like simpletons, some of us actually know what we are talking about.

Guest Bunjit

Ah, got it. Thanks. So we're calling "fake" on that video?

Darnit!

It sounded similar to the recent thread about a Pandawill Vegacomb with IPS also being pimped out as a 1GB Ram model. But with the 8 GB internal memory and built in 3G I thought this was something new.

Guest newbe5

QUOTE(Bunjit @ Jul 10 2011, 13:08) Just spotted this, looks lke Vega hardware, but 1GB RAM, 8GB Nandflash & built in 3G

http://dimobile2u.blogspot.com/2011/06/and...30-101inch.html

Claims Honeycomb, but suspiciously it doesn't mention a camera here

Looks very likley.

Improved viewing angles maybe to.

Don't think I will buy from DSG again for a while. Not happy with their marketing / support.

This is VegaComb. Has a couple of tell-tale signs.

Guest clonmult

The "news" obviously isn't very exciting at all as nothing has come from this.

It may be exciting, just possibly held back with negotiations and NDAs until it can be formally announced.

Guest Minimonkey

And another 'Honeycomb' Vega-like with 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, IPS screen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item415a505f3d

Reputable seller, may ask some questions

only 1.3MP camera this time.

Either a lot of BS around or a Vega 1,5 is kicking around with vegacomb

Another Clone people selling them seem to add together the 512MB ram and the 512MB NAND (http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/) to create the 1GB then add a 8GB flash card and pretend it has a IPS screen, then install Vegacomb and sell it for more money.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trevor432990

It may be exciting, just possibly held back with negotiations and NDAs until it can be formally announced.

Agreed but some kind of update to this topic would be nice as we don't all use Twitter thank gawd ;)

Guest Adam:)

Agreed but some kind of update to this topic would be nice as we don't all use Twitter thank gawd ;)

agree wit trevor there ;)

any news?