Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest bennji_boy
Personally that wouldn't be that exciting for me as I have no intention of upgrading hardware as the current Vega seems more than capable of what I need from a tablet.

An official or fully working Honeycomb would be nice, but having tried VC for the first time last night I don't quite see what extra it brings above my Corvus5SP1 install, apart from the menus are laid out nicer...I am prepared to be educated though.

Get Plume and Friencaster and you'll never want to go back

Guest Panayioti

Ok back to topic newbe5 answered this question "is 1.7 out soon?" with "Not yet :) Got some stuff in the works" the same quote he used about having dinner with people from the advent team so im more sure its about a honeycomb update but i might be wrong lol :-)

Guest WillDroid
this is turning into a "how many jokes can we make out of android OS names" post B)

please stop... :)

Donut you wan't to know what the big news is?

Guest phil8715
do nut fear, I'm sure they will provide us wiith some news soon

This thread really takes the BISCUIT. LOL.

Edited by phil8715

Guest winnipeg

I noticed at lunch time that Currys / PC World do not have the Vega for "Home Delivery", Still have "Collect in Store" - plus not many Docking stations around except in a few stores.

Their job is to make as much margin as possible from branded products and retail business.

A better screen / operating system would allow an increase in price I would think.

So maybe they are waiting for stock or………….

Guest xathras

So, let's get back to Reality Street for a while. What follows are impressions I've picked up which may or may not be true. If there's anyone out there with relevant manufacturing experience; please correct me if I'm wrong.

The P10AN01 tablet is a speculative design created by Foxconn. In other words, Foxconn created a design intended to be bought off-the-shelf by retailers to be sold in different parts of the world under different brand names, running Android 2 and with only a limited number of hardware variations (e.g. 3g or no 3g). At the time that Foxconn(?) designed the tablet they may have known little about Android 3.0 other than Google were going to use the Tegra2 as the reference chip for Honeycomb.

At that time it may have seemed to them that designing a tablet using the Tegra (although cheaper chips were available) would give it a long product lifetime; good for them and their customers (future-proofing to some degree). Since the P10AN01 tablet was intended to be a budget machine they then had to make compromises to keep the price down. This is probably the rationale behind the choice of a budget screen and a small amount of memory.

When it comes to the design of a successor to the P10AN01 (let's call it the P10AN01 Generation 2) they will probably have been aware of Google's plan to merge the Android forks into Version 4 (ICS) and created a board that will run ICS. They will also have had talks with the purchasers of the P10AN01 Generation 1, as to what features they would like (the emphasis is on "like") to see in the Generation 2.

What they will not do is create an entirely different tablet for each of their current customers. That's not the way that production economics (the economics of scale) work.

This leaves Advent with the choice of either accepting the the Generation 2 as it is offered to them, or finding a different generic (vanilla) design, or commissioning a bespoke design. As far as I know Advent have no plans to change their business model and become manufacturers.

As I said at the start these are only impressions I've garnered from various sources; I've no experience in volume manufacturing. If I'm wrong, please (I really mean it) correct me.

If I'm wrong, please (I really mean it) correct me.

Foxconn was probably the manufacturer ... Its Shuttle's design though as far as I know. :)