Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

One of the bit's I did not like was the Tweet about:

"For those asking we will investigate Honeycomb with our partner"

Then nothing and very soon after not much stock to.

Otherwise like everyone, I knew I was buying in to something which may not get much support.

The Vega as a device to explore a non Apple Tab device at £199.00 and experiment with was very attractive at the time. Although I had hopped the on-going support and updates would last for 12 Months. I doubt there will be any futher updates.

DSG actually seemed engaged at first with enthusiasts in a way I had not noticed before. Anyway for them the price and early communication have probably cleared there stock nicely.

For some reason I will find it hard to buy from them again unless the general speculation on here proves wrong, but will always go for the best deal. I agree with most comments on this thread and the device itself is useful in many ways.

I agree and I don't think we'll see an official copy of HC on our Vega. That doesn't stop the potential for further development of Vegacomb. It seems that all this unsatisfied hunger for answers risks turning in on itself.

Personally I don't want to lose sight that this Vega is a terrific tablet, does all that I need it to and has introduced me to a completely new computer form. I wouldn't have learnt the stacks I have without it. I doubt I would have rooted, modded or flashed a ROM without it and I wouldn't have got into all these forums either.

So even, if I see not a jot more development, which is very unlikely to be the case, like the 'ad' says it has been 'priceless'. Roll on Vegacomb.

Guest gazmon2424
I agree and I don't think we'll see an official copy of HC on our Vega. That doesn't stop the potential for further development of Vegacomb. It seems that all this unsatisfied hunger for answers risks turning in on itself.

Personally I don't want to lose sight that this Vega is a terrific tablet, does all that I need it to and has introduced me to a completely new computer form. I wouldn't have learnt the stacks I have without it. I doubt I would have rooted, modded or flashed a ROM without it and I wouldn't have got into all these forums either.

So even, if I see not a jot more development, which is very unlikely to be the case, like the 'ad' says it has been 'priceless'. Roll on Vegacomb.

Basically chaps the vega is let down by a naf screen, and limited memory, in fact that's the reason I bought the ipad2 as well, not that the vega isn't good coz it is, and. I Like custom roms which you can't do with apple, but let's be honest most other tablets are just so much better

Guest le_lutin
Basically chaps the vega is let down by a naf screen, and limited memory, in fact that's the reason I bought the ipad2 as well, not that the vega isn't good coz it is, and. I Like custom roms which you can't do with apple, but let's be honest most other tablets are just so much better

Not quite sure what the point of this post is. Everyone is aware of the Vega's weaknesses and that there are better tablets out there.

Guest Panayioti
Not quite sure what the point of this post is. Everyone is aware of the Vega's weaknesses and that there are better tablets out there.

+1 looks like we have a ipad fan!

Guest WillDroid

I would have to agree with him, however, it's the little quirks of this device that make it just that bit more interesting :) Who wants an apple device, which has a single possible OS and is locked down unless you jailbreak it (which although easy and fast, is a bit of an irritation)? I think the vega runs just fine, and any comparison with the iPad in my opinion are useless, as the two devices are different, which is the point :rolleyes:

Guest phil8715
I would have to agree with him, however, it's the little quirks of this device that make it just that bit more interesting :) Who wants an apple device, which has a single possible OS and is locked down unless you jailbreak it (which although easy and fast, is a bit of an irritation)? I think the vega runs just fine, and any comparison with the iPad in my opinion are useless, as the two devices are different, which is the point :rolleyes:

To be honest Apple IOS is a lot more polished than Android. I have 2 Android devices the Vega and a ZTE Blade. I've tried to play this game on both Android devices and it will not save the game, if I exit the game it returns to the start of the game, I've also got the same game on my iPod Touch and had it on an iPhone and both work flawlessly.

My problem with Android it's too fragmented too many different versions knocking about.

Guest Kevrae

well i dont think the vega is going end of line as there is over 3000 due in 2 weeks into dixons retail stores, it could still be very possibly a new advent tablet but possibly not one the directly succeed the vega (possibly run adjacent). i like everyone else really hope its something for the vega. even on my system at work the vega is still current line and with that kind of stock due in it seems unlikely that they would discontinue it. Although i could be very wrong.

Edited by Kevrae

Guest Bunjit
Vega 1 to get honeycomb and vega 2 to be launched for xmas with Nvidia's Kal-El and a better screen!!! probably around £300 with 3g and 3ps around £350...

With The Toshiba thrive and Archos tablet coming in at below those price points and due for launch in the autumn, the mythical Advent 2 will need to do better than that to compete.

Had the Vega been in stock, I would have bought mine last week.

I could possibly hunt around and possibly find a unit, but without any official line on where the Vegas is going, I'm starting to look elsewhere and accepting a wait for the Archos/Toshiba releases.

Guest xathras
Oh I dont know, I've used a Pre and webOs is actually kind of pretty, and probably like most people here I am a rom flash junkie so another one to try wouldnt hurt.

There's always Corvus or VegComb to go back to.

Wow, I really do sound like a junkie...............

Good review in the New York Times of the H.P. TouchPad ($500 for the 16-gig model, $600 for 32 gigs). It runs WebOS, a variation of the software that runs the Palm cellphones (the Pre, Pixi and so on) — but it’s new to tablets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/30/technolo...mp;pagewanted=2

Guest Dave Marchant
Good review in the New York Times of the H.P. TouchPad ($500 for the 16-gig model, $600 for 32 gigs). It runs WebOS, a variation of the software that runs the Palm cellphones (the Pre, Pixi and so on) — but it’s new to tablets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/30/technolo...mp;pagewanted=2

And for balance, a not-so-good review in Gizmodo - http://gizmodo.com/5816916/hp-touchpad-rev...nbreak-my-heart

Guest mxbob
With The Toshiba thrive and Archos tablet coming in at below those price points and due for launch in the autumn, the mythical Advent 2 will need to do better than that to compete.

i think this is a good point

the reason the vega has done so well (certainly the reason i bought mine) was because plain and simply there is no better value for money tablet

there are plenty of better tablets but its a decent enough tablet and for the price nothing comes close

for any follow up vega 2 tablet to be sucessful it is going to have to achieve the same value for money (compared to its competitors) that the vega has

Guest pm99
i think this is a good point

the reason the vega has done so well (certainly the reason i bought mine) was because plain and simply there is no better value for money tablet

there are plenty of better tablets but its a decent enough tablet and for the price nothing comes close

for any follow up vega 2 tablet to be sucessful it is going to have to achieve the same value for money (compared to its competitors) that the vega has

+1 to that. But the really interesting thing about the Vega, more so than the Adam even, is that who would have bought it without the ability to heavily modify it and flash a custom ROM, either Paul's or Newbe's or the others? Has there been another tablet that has the potential of a processor like this, but depended so much on being unleashed through the user community? Isn't this one of the founding ideas behind the AOSP?

I wouldn't have bought the Vega without the knowledge I could get R8 on it and then modify it further. Several others have also commented that Vegacomb was a key factor in their decision to buy. See Newbe5's post earlier on this forum. A large number of Vegas must have been sold on the strength of these enthusiast's unpaid efforts.

No doubt the guys at DSG are fully aware of this and I imagine this is connected to their discussions. What we don't know is how they intend to exploit this situation from this point forward. But they could equally undermine it by not supporting and so I'm keen to see what develops and hope it takes all this interest forward. Something must be cooking.

Guest derffie
+1 optimus prime! :)

Then prey good fellow our tablets never meet!

For my sake! Seen the dark of the moon last night, now have serious computer envy....

Guest le_lutin

Just tweeted by Newbe:

Zebwen Richard Horsley

VegaComb users: The new version of Opera Mobile works with Flash in VegaComb, still got some ghosting issues in video, but its a step up! :)

Guest Sanddancer75
well i dont think the vega is going end of line as there is over 3000 due in 2 weeks into dixons retail stores, it could still be very possibly a new advent tablet but possibly not one the directly succeed the vega (possibly run adjacent). i like everyone else really hope its something for the vega. even on my system at work the vega is still current line and with that kind of stock due in it seems unlikely that they would discontinue it. Although i could be very wrong.

They might be able to get away with charging more for it of they do that. If they replace the Vega with a new model then they'd probably aim at the same price. If they keep the Vega on shelves then they could introduce a premium model at a premium price. The Vega still has a market & is well positioned to get people sniffing around the Vega brand.

Guest Mark_L
If they replace the Vega with a new model then they'd probably aim at the same price.

Which would be utterly pointless because anything at the same price as the vega is now would have to have pretty much the same hardware.

An official honeycomb update for the Vega makes excellent business sense for Advent.. other suggestions like a replacement for the vega/new model just dont add up when you consider them in the context of the current tablet market.

The newer scren on the Vega is very good. I have no problems what so ever with mine and the people that I know who have had vega's and had problems with the screens took them back to Currys/Dixons and they went off for repair. They got new screens under warrenty and they have been perfect since.

The ammount of memory in the vega does not limit it in any way, there is nothing you can run atm which will struggle due to lack of memory.

I play Galaxy on Fire on mine and it looks and plays AMAZINGLY well.

Blows away everything I have EVER seen on an IPad or an IPad2 and its only just starting to make use of what the Tegra 2 chipset can do.

Edited by Mark_L

Guest Adam:)

just remembered, did we ever get that 2.3 update advent promised? :)

(ps, i know CM7 is gingerbread, but its not the official one that advent said was in the works)

Guest Jacobyte

All,

While I agree at this point in time the Advent Vega is a good buy I think it will be well past its sell by date come Xmas.

It will be directly competing with the raft of new tablets Archos, HTC etc that will be released before then most of whom will be using Tegra 250 and some will have Honeycomb.

If DSG is to compete it needs a new tablet for Xmas 2011.

The sweet spot? Advent Vega V2 with Tegra 250, Honeycomb at £250 on the shelves before 1st November to avoid last years fiasco.

If they want massive sales they cannot expect normal consumers to install hacked ROMS it needs to be slick out of the box. The current official ROM is little more than crippleware,

I expect the secrecy is to keep the sales of V1 going rather than they tank while everyone waits for the new tablet.

So DSG care to comment I know you read this forum!

Jacobyte

PS please lets have a decent screen and fix the power supply!

Guest Jacobyte

All,

Looks like the next wave of shuttle tablets will be with us before Xmas 2011...

Any bets the Vega V2 is one of them.... in other reviews Shuttle is cagey on what version of Android they will be shipping with....

Shuttle at Computex