ZTE Skate is here! Orange Monte Carlo.

Guest LCFA

Guest Sean88

Hi guys, I'm a noob when it comes to android and want your help and advice. I have been a BlackBerry Bold 9700 user on Orange for sometime now but that time has now run out! I sold it on Mazuma for £95 and looking to put the money towards my first android device as I am interested in what android has to offer. I have been thinking about purchasing the Orange Monte Carlo as it has just been released this week which will only mean putting £65 towards the device including the £10 top-up however, I have heard great things about the San Francisco! I understand it has less horse power but I was just wondering if I could get your advice on the OS versions such as Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread and what the difference is? Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers! :)

Guest ididmytime

Hi guys, I'm a noob when it comes to android and want your help and advice. I have been a BlackBerry Bold 9700 user on Orange for sometime now but that time has now run out! I sold it on Mazuma for £95 and looking to put the money towards my first android device as I am interested in what android has to offer. I have been thinking about purchasing the Orange Monte Carlo as it has just been released this week which will only mean putting £65 towards the device including the £10 top-up however, I have heard great things about the San Francisco! I understand it has less horse power but I was just wondering if I could get your advice on the OS versions such as Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread and what the difference is? Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers! :)

Get the SF instead, if you can get the OLED version you're laughing.

Edited by ididmytime

Guest Sean88

I agree. Depending on the price difference it might be a better purchase than a San Fran for a first time Android user but it surely isn't going to tempt many San Fran owners to upgrade? If they'd got ARM7 in it then things may have been different. But as it stands, the only thing I see it really has going for it over the Blade is a flash for the camera.

For the cost of buying a Blade and then this several months later, you may as well have bought a Desire!

I am thinking about the Monte Carlo as my first Android purchase or is the San Francisco a better option to go for?

Guest hemant1

I am thinking about the Monte Carlo as my first Android purchase or is the San Francisco a better option to go for?

I'd go for the Monte Carlo seeing as you're an orange customer you should be able to get it for £119.99

Guest Sean88

I'd go for the Monte Carlo seeing as you're an orange customer you should be able to get it for £119.99

Cheers. I am still in two minds over which device to get as my first Android, any other opinions would be great.

Guest causeway

guys some news about gps receiver? maybe the same builts onto blade? is it a good one or?

GPS locks as quickly and accurately as my nexus one, not bad at all. says 'accurate to 70m' in google maps but its much closer in reality.

Guest sej7278

yeah £119 including a tenner airtime from an orange store is not bad if its your first android phone, that's about the same price as a sanfrancisco from argos/tesco these days.

alternatives are £170 for a huawei u8800 or £220 for a motorolo defy, both of which annihilate the montecarlo in terms of performance (and overclock like mad), are both sim unlocked, are both arm7 (flash, google talk video, firefox etc.) but have 3.7-3.8" screens not 4.3" like the skate.

i'm sure there's already a huge "skate alternatives" thread on here somewhere.

Guest Pierreism

Does anyone who has one and has a Blade too know if the LCD screen is any better than the Blade's LCD? Particularly I'm interested in the colour rendering. The Blade's LCD was way too blue for me.

Guest causeway

Does anyone who has one and has a Blade too know if the LCD screen is any better than the Blade's LCD? Particularly I'm interested in the colour rendering. The Blade's LCD was way too blue for me.

Its quite blue at the lowest backlight setting but pretty spot on with the backlight halfway or more. Subjective opinion, of course.

• 2 weeks later...