Will you be buying ZTE Skate (aka in UK Orange Monte Carlo)

Guest XiaoKai

Guest thomas01155

Guess they have had to step it up a level with all the competition. Lots of new windows phones coming out soon and some of the current ones are going cheap and they have 1ghz.

Guest Lew247

Clove already have it listed -

as do handtec -

£222 and £227.99? Are they having a laugh?

Around £150 and I'd snap it out of their hands, £180 and I'd seriously consider it but no guarantees, but £222? No way on earth would I buy it at that price.

Guest Banner
<br />£222 and £227.99?  Are they having a laugh?<br /><br />Around £150 and I'd snap it out of their hands, £180 and I'd seriously consider it but no guarantees, but £222?  No way on earth would I buy it at that price.<br />
It could be that Clove are just expensive as they doing the Huawei u8800 for nearly £300!! <a href='http://www.clove.co.uk/huawei-u8800-google-phone' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.clove.co....00-google-phone</a> Edited by flibblesan

Guest sane?

I think the processor will be this one: http://pdadb.net/ind...ualcomm_msm7230

I think you might well be right. As I suggested above, a quick speed bump when they found the reaction to their 800Mhz ARM6 Skate in Feb was less than stellar would make sense. Qualcomm seem very unforthcoming with details of their chips, but it would make sense for them to repackage their MSM8xxx chip family with a MSM7xxx pin out for a drop in replacement option for phone companies with an old design. It would also make sense of the reference to the Adreno 205 that were mentioned back in Feb.

The Swedish prices, however, suggest a £50 premium over the 800Mhz model - are we on course for a £149/£199 set of price points, including subsidy? Too high in my opinion - £129/£159 would be more realistic for where the market is going.

Only time will tell.

Guest Atomix86
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />It could be that Clove are just expensive as they doing the Huawei u8800 for nearly £300!! <a href='http://www.clove.co.uk/huawei-u8800-google-phone' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.clove.co....00-google-phone</a>

I noticed that too... thats one store I'll never be buying from !

Guest gwebb

I think you might well be right. As I suggested above, a quick speed bump when they found the reaction to their 800Mhz ARM6 Skate in Feb was less than stellar would make sense. Qualcomm seem very unforthcoming with details of their chips, but it would make sense for them to repackage their MSM8xxx chip family with a MSM7xxx pin out for a drop in replacement option for phone companies with an old design. It would also make sense of the reference to the Adreno 205 that were mentioned back in Feb.

Even changing the packaging I don't think any of the 8xxx series could be a drop in replacement, you would still have the issue of supported memory types and chipsets. Sadly for us the 7227 Turbo is the drop in replacement.

It's conceivable that the Skate has switched to the 7230, that would make sense, as it is the low-end Scorpion part.

One other chip on Qualcomm's roadmap is a slim possibility, the 7227A which uses Cortex-A5 (ARMv7, lower performance than an A9, but also much lower power). That chip will be coming to market soon but probably too late for the Skate.

Hopefully ZTE will soon explain what they have chosen to do.

Guest sane?

Even changing the packaging I don't think any of the 8xxx series could be a drop in replacement, you would still have the issue of supported memory types and chipsets. Sadly for us the 7227 Turbo is the drop in replacement.

It's conceivable that the Skate has switched to the 7230, that would make sense, as it is the low-end Scorpion part.

Nope, the point I was making was the MSM7230 shares the guts of the MSM8xxx series, but given the designation it probably shares the pin out/external packaging of the MSM7xxx - making it a possible drop in replacement.

The 7227 turbo tops out at 800Mhz (at least at the moment), meaning its not likely to be the 1Ghz part in question.

Qualcomm is not exactly forthcoming to prove that, but it seems sensible.

Guest gwebb

Nope, the point I was making was the MSM7230 shares the guts of the MSM8xxx series, but given the designation it probably shares the pin out/external packaging of the MSM7xxx - making it a possible drop in replacement.

Unless something has changed the 7227 is a 560 pin 12x12 mm chip, the 7230 is a 904 pin 14x14mm chip.

Guest WilliamB

Glad the processor has been upgraded. I feel much more optimistic about the Skates future.

Think your probley right about the new processor being MSM7030, hope it 's the second generation with adreno 205 rather than first gen with adreno 200. :-)

BTW clove have posted a hands on video of the 800mhz pre-production model on YouTube

Edited by WilliamB

Guest k0zmic

I think the 7230 is used by the Ideos X5 which I've seen sell for around £170, this was unlocked and without a network subsidy. It shows that the 7230 is a match for devices at the price point the Skate is targeting.

Perhaps subsidized it could cost maybe between £130-£160.

Guest aidanj

the blade's been a brilliant phone for me, but i've recently purchased a htc hd2, and replacing it with the skate would be a slight step back.

Guest tillaz

hey people im new here just thought i would let you no it is using MSM8255 ARMv 7 zte say so in this video

go to 2.18 Edited by tillaz

Guest Pelemane

hey people im new here just thought i would let you no it is using MSM8255 ARMv 7 zte say so in this video

go to 2.18

Awesome! Desire HD has that processor and it's pretty awesome :)

Guest sane?

go to 2.18

Their PR rep is saying 800Mhz and ARM6, here, in another thread. He's also saying that flibblesan got the wrong end of the stick, but that it didn't come from ZTE. Hmmm, the caption on that vid says otherwise.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. 800Mhz/ARM7 really isn't going to cut it in today's market unless the price is within spitting distance of the Blade. If they really try for a price that starts at £200+ and then gets discounted, the sales figures should do the rest. The Huawei X5 is too much competition.

Guest Simon O

Their PR rep is saying 800Mhz and ARM6, here, in another thread. He's also saying that flibblesan got the wrong end of the stick, but that it didn't come from ZTE. Hmmm, the caption on that vid says otherwise.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. 800Mhz/ARM7 really isn't going to cut it in today's market unless the price is within spitting distance of the Blade. If they really try for a price that starts at £200+ and then gets discounted, the sales figures should do the rest. The Huawei X5 is too much competition.

he didn't say I got the wrong end of the stick. The distributor told everyone the CPU is a 1GHz unit.

The Huawei U8800/Ideos X5 has an 800MHz ARM7 CPU BTW and it cuts it just fine :)

BTW Sean, our ZTE contact on the forum, is away for a week so I'm unable to get any clarification regarding that video. Sources inside Orange have confirmed that the Monte Carlo has an 800MHz CPU so if ZTE HAVE increased the CPU in the Skate it could very well mean that they have two versions on the market.

The brightpoint distributor informed us that the ZTE Skate coming towards the end of the year will have a 1GHz CPU. This is the information that confused people and which Sean from ZTE said was incorrect. However I'm now personally wondering if ZTE meant the Monte Carlo version is 800MHz.

It's strange to see a video from June this year with a chief engineer from ZTE stating the CPU is an 8255 (1GHz 2nd generation snapdragon). It fits with the information given by Brightpoint too.

I think the best thing is to assume the Monte Carlo is 800MHz and less than £150, then wait for the unbranded ZTE Skate to be available later in the year and see the specs of that.

Guest appolus

well i am not changing to skate unfortunately even if its 1ghz armv7, the price is not right. for the exact same price here in sweden i can get samsung galaxy s which i will after a while when am bored of my blade

Guest Atomix86

well i am not changing to skate unfortunately even if its 1ghz armv7, the price is not right. for the exact same price here in sweden i can get samsung galaxy s which i will after a while when am bored of my blade

Good choice it is too, I love my Galaxy S B)

Guest sane?

Sources inside Orange have confirmed that the Monte Carlo has an 800MHz CPU so if ZTE HAVE increased the CPU in the Skate it could very well mean that they have two versions on the market.

The brightpoint distributor informed us that the ZTE Skate coming towards the end of the year will have a 1GHz CPU. This is the information that confused people and which Sean from ZTE said was incorrect. However I'm now personally wondering if ZTE meant the Monte Carlo version is 800MHz.

It's strange to see a video from June this year with a chief engineer from ZTE stating the CPU is an 8255 (1GHz 2nd generation snapdragon). It fits with the information given by Brightpoint too.

I think the best thing is to assume the Monte Carlo is 800MHz and less than £150, then wait for the unbranded ZTE Skate to be available later in the year and see the specs of that.

That was the possibility that I suggested a few weeks back, and would explain why the ZTE rep is so reticent about talking about processors/speeds. Nothing like pre-announcing better product to kill the lesser one. Problem is, from the hints I'm getting it suggests neither really makes sense.

From you 'less than £150' statements, it sounds like not much less than £150 is the Orange idea - and that's too high for a bump.

Over £200 for a possible 1Ghz ARM7 is also too high, compared to the rest on the market, and how much further down the line we'll be by Q4. Hell, there is still talk of a cheap iPhone (although I'll believe that when I see it). I could go and buy an unlocked Huawei X5 for £180 tomorrow - although I did like the look of the x6, whatever happened to that? Also Huawei Honour looks good with its big battery and memory. And that's before you start looking at top tier manufacturers...

I assume Orange are finally going to launch in a week or so, and unless they have a spectacular opening price, it gets relegated to 'also ran'.