So then best SGS2 Rom?

Guest rferrett

Guest rferrett

Right got a shiny new SGS2 and rooted and booted it. Currently running the very snazzy Villian ROM 2.0. So what are people here rocking and are there any kick arse recommendations?

Guest NZtechfreak

I'm currenty on Cognition 1.13, enjoying it a lot - its better than DarkyROM 2.3.4 build (basically because Darky's build is essentially stock).

Guest mvheuver

I just rooted mine (a bit of a pain on a Mac...) but judging the threads on XDA, I am not sure if there is any benefit of a custom ROM. Stock KE7 stripped of the bloatware seems to run fine here. Tempted to install a custom ROM at some point but I think I will wait a bit. Then again I had a ZTE Blade for months so anything will look impressive to me!

Guest Zabihjan

stay with stock, just root it

all the roms have issue because it is all early stages. after 3 months then u can try custom roms.

Guest Lacuna

stay with stock, just root it

all the roms have issue because it is all early stages. after 3 months then u can try custom roms.

Yeah I agree, tried them all, cognition keeps on rebooting on my phone anyway, i like stock with root or otherwise the upcomin cyanogen perhaps?

Guest barbarony62

I am on a rooted cm7 nightly (23rd)

of course I have the odd bits and pieces that can be improved, but overall a pleasant device, with a stable op system.

added go launcher ex as it fits my taste a bit better, and themed the phone so I have the right color icons at the top.

the only thing I don't like is that I had to wait 3 months from announcement of the phone till I actually got it... :)

and after 3 years on an omnia i900 (WM 6.5) this is like being sent "back to the future"...

I find the ROM's very difficult to judge because they don't really say what they do, it seems to be more of a fan club thing (or how long is my benchmark). Kernels are slightly more obvious with different advantages.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jasperov

Flashed CM7 Nightly Build #72 awhile ago but wasn't really impressed, was just like using my old de-Sensed Desire, I like TouchWiz and the extra's that come with it. I would like better battery life but I'll have to figure something out. Currently using MCR online kitchen ROM with TW.

I dont get the obsession with Cyanogen ROMs. Its great they exist, but a typical post on their forums seems to be along the lines of ..

'Wow great ROM, still no camera, or 3G or Audio or Bluetooth, and it crashes a lot, but best ROM EVER!!!11!!'

Im still waiting for GR6 from Paul (please hurry paul.. iPhone launch.. ideal time to cement our love for Android!!).

Guest le_lutin

Waiting for MIUI to come along (officially) for the s2. I really miss that ROM from the days when I had a Desire.

Edited by le_lutin

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I dont get the obsession with Cyanogen ROMs. Its great they exist, but a typical post on their forums seems to be along the lines of ..

'Wow great ROM, still no camera, or 3G or Audio or Bluetooth, and it crashes a lot, but best ROM EVER!!!11!!'

Im still waiting for GR6 from Paul (please hurry paul.. iPhone launch.. ideal time to cement our love for Android!!).

Exactly ... I loved CM7 on my Blade ... but if half the functionality is missing on the GalaxyS2, then frankly why bother?

Quite happy with MCR5 at present, as it gives me the new market app and GoogleTalk with video. I've had one minor issue, being that it won't power back on from standby on the rare occasion ... but other than that, it's tip top.

Guest rferrett

I suspect that CM will suddenly become a lot more attractive for us SGS owners when ICS get's released next week!

Anyone know what Sammy's turnaround tends to be on ROMS? On my HTC Desire I used to tear my hear out waiting for HTC to release ROMs which is what finally got me into rooting and modding.

Ralph

Guest Androidlover287

I suspect that CM will suddenly become a lot more attractive for us SGS owners when ICS get's released next week!

Anyone know what Sammy's turnaround tends to be on ROMS? On my HTC Desire I used to tear my hear out waiting for HTC to release ROMs which is what finally got me into rooting and modding.

Ralph

This may be noobish, but what Is a 'ICS'?

Guest rferrett

Sorry Ice Cream Sandwich, next version of android due out next week.

Generally when new version of android is out CM is faster to the punch than many OEMs

Guest Androidlover287

Sorry Ice Cream Sandwich, next version of android due out next week.

Generally when new version of android is out CM is faster to the punch than many OEMs

[/quoteIt's ok, thank you

I know CM is fast because there on 2.3.7 right now, maybe even further than that, It may take a long time, but i may move off MCR5 (No issues with it but we need updates) and go back to stock rom, then wait and wait and wait (about a year after) for samsung to Release Ice Crean Sandwhich

p.s The only reason i rooted was because samsung took so long to update and paul was on KG3 or whatever and i was sick of being on KF4 waiting for a update :)

Edited by Androidlover287