20 Jan Gr6 (V20o): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (stock+vanilla)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tsaglis

I tried the custom kernel (the new one) and also on me the phone seems to have lost some of the smoothness, but seems to gain on battery(?). I went back to stock kernel, it runs much better.

I am waiting for a bugfree custom kernel with OC to come out.

Sorry for my not perfect english... i've installed gr5 prebake and vanilla option pack... it's normal that i haven't the four classic button on notification menu??? (Wifi - data - silent - rotation) ... and how can i add to my rom???

Thx a lot!

orlroc

Edited by orlroc

Guest pitywoman

erm, how to make d gps lock as fast as cm did? when i oepn wifi using cm, it will lock within 20s. but using mcr 5 d lock very slow around 40s to 80s. wonder why it happened such? the prob i didnt use cm is it's not like stock and alwys connected to data while even i not using, while stock gr5 can be use to receive mms but didnt enable data. headache.i tried gr5 and putting gps.conf and set d hidden menu but yet d result not satisfy me...

Edited by pitywoman

Hey,

does this rom includes tun.ko (for openvpn) and a working tethering? Thank you!

It does if you select one of the custom kernels.

I'd suggest avoiding experimental r27 at the moment as it has some freezing issues it seems.

P

Guest Tsaglis

I have a small problem choosing kernel.

If I choose stock, it runs butter smooth, but I have some issues:

Some times the battery indicator gets stuck at a point (ie 65%), the device gets rather hot (over 30 deg C - but still running ok) and after few hours it shuts down due to empty battery. If I do a manual restart, the battery shows the correct percentage. From 65% to 10% in 2-3 hours. It behaves like this from day one with this kernel, even with complete stock rom (2.3.4)

Also I noticed some soft restarts, and I noticed that as the " battery usage" shows significantly less usage time than the actual time away from the charger.

If I choose the custom kernel, I tried the MCK r27, the device works very stable, no problems with battery or restart, just feels laggy.

Now I have to try r26, HP (again but RC9 is not stable) and ? Any suggestions are welcome. I don't care too much about OC, but it would be nice to know if other kernels besides HP and NeoBlaze support it.

Guest mparack

Some times the battery indicator gets stuck at a point (ie 65%), the device gets rather hot (over 30 deg C - but still running ok) and after few hours it shuts down due to empty battery. If I do a manual restart, the battery shows the correct percentage. From 65% to 10% in 2-3 hours. It behaves like this from day one with this kernel, even with complete stock rom (2.3.4)

Also I noticed some soft restarts, and I noticed that as the " battery usage" shows significantly less usage time than the actual time away from the charger.

If I choose the custom kernel, I tried the MCK r27, the device works very stable, no problems with battery or restart, just feels laggy.

Now I have to try r26, HP (again but RC9 is not stable) and ? Any suggestions are welcome. I don't care too much about OC, but it would be nice to know if other kernels besides HP and NeoBlaze support it.

+1

Exactly same problems with Stock but only on GR5, never had it on GR4.

Agree that Stock feels nippier than MCK r26

Guest mirolud

It does if you select one of the custom kernels.

I'd suggest avoiding experimental r27 at the moment as it has some freezing issues it seems.

P

Well, this is what I intended to report rolleyes.gif: I baked GR5 with MCKr27 and my phone started "freezing" on Doplhin browser. Not total freeze though - I was able to return to the home screen after a while. Interestingly my WiFi connection was lost.

Anyway, I installed prebaked rom with the "LG stock" pakage and so far everything is working great.

p.s.

Since this is my first post in here I would like to say hello to anyone and pass BIG thanks to Paul and all others that make this possible ...

Guest mirolud

Is there anything visible on the battery stats screen? Maybe it's not kernel itself but some app that got stuck? Worth checking IMO. For example I had a few problems on the stock GB (the one released by LG) - the LG e-mail app was crashing on each startup and the music app was acting up: it was starting itself on the phone startup (quite normal I think) and eating quite a lot of battery (not quite normal I think) but this was apparent from the battery usage screen. After installing GR5 it seems to be better - I still need a few days of playing with it for the final judgement.

Guest Tsaglis

Is there anything visible on the battery stats screen? Maybe it's not kernel itself but some app that got stuck? Worth checking IMO. For example I had a few problems on the stock GB (the one released by LG) - the LG e-mail app was crashing on each startup and the music app was acting up: it was starting itself on the phone startup (quite normal I think) and eating quite a lot of battery (not quite normal I think) but this was apparent from the battery usage screen. After installing GR5 it seems to be better - I still need a few days of playing with it for the final judgement.

This was the strange part, there was nothing on the battery stats screen. Everything was normal. I only discovered it because the devise was hotter than normal. On the Battery monitor widget, the consumption was at 2mA, but the battery did not go any percentage down.

Attached an "incident"

post-912669-0-94831000-1321812393_thumb.

Guest RedeemerSK

Sorry for my not perfect english... i've installed gr5 prebake and vanilla option pack... it's normal that i haven't the four classic button on notification menu??? (Wifi - data - silent - rotation) ... and how can i add to my rom???

Hey orloc, if you feel like wanting GB theme but also the toggle buttons, I am running THIS GB Theme (Gingerbread_Theme_V20e.1.4 with % battery) without any problems atm (on Gr5 + r27 kernel). Don't be afraid of music controls, can be switched off (as mentioned in the 1st post). That actually is kind of strange, every other custom theme I know need to come in two flavours: with music controls and without them, and you need to flash the version according to whether you want them or not. With this theme, there are no two version, you can toggle it in runtime via music app preferences. Why don't other themes leverage this ?!

Guest mirolud

@Tsaglis - Really weird view blink.gif And are there no apps attributed to this? I mean - what was the "usage" screen saying?

Edited by mirolud

Guest apolloFER

This was the strange part, there was nothing on the battery stats screen. Everything was normal. I only discovered it because the devise was hotter than normal. On the Battery monitor widget, the consumption was at 2mA, but the battery did not go any percentage down.

Attached an "incident"

Happened to me sometimes on Froyo. I refer to it as "No-Sleep" bug (had that on my old i7500). If you check Battery History you'll see that the phone doesn't sleep (running time muuuch longer than screen on). The weird part is that battery info doesn't update (current voltage does). At first I thought that I have to restart when it happens. But I tried force stoping some stuff and I manage to return it to normal by switching Airplane On/Off (the weird part is that it won't switch at first, so I guess it could be something in the baseband) and playing with 2G/3G. Happened to me 2-3 times in 2 days, after that all normal. Went beserk for no reason I guess. :D

Edited by apolloFER

Guest Tsaglis

@Tsaglis - Really weird view blink.gif And are there no apps attributed to this? I mean - what was the "usage" screen saying?

I don not have a screen shot, but no application has any apparent impact. It seems like the processor was running at full speed (thus the temperature increase) with no apparent reason (stuck in a loop?).

Any how I am now testing the MCK r26. So long all good.

Happened to me sometimes on Froyo. I refer to it as "No-Sleep" bug (had that on my old i7500). If you check Battery History you'll see that the phone doesn't sleep (running time muuuch longer than screen on). The weird part is that battery info doesn't update (current voltage does). At first I thought that I have to restart when it happens. But I tried force stoping some stuff and I manage to return it to normal by switching Airplane On/Off (the weird part is that it won't switch at first, so I guess it could be something in the baseband) and playing with 2G/3G. Happened to me 2-3 times in 2 days, after that all normal. Went beserk for no reason I guess. :D

It happened to me with Stock GB, with Modaco GR5 + stock kernel, during the first period I used this combination few days back and now during the second attempt.

With all leaked GBs, topogigi's and GR4 never occurred. It also never occurred with any custom kernel.

It seems that this happens to me only with stock kernel. We will see what the future will have for us as a surprise!

(BTW I have the v20L's BB and RIL)

In all the roms, I have used, the 3G always on is a battery destroyer. I get less than 18h of life. With only 2G (data on) I get at least 36h with the same type of use!

Guest rifmouk

Hello everybody,

First, thanks, Paul for your work.

I have a problem with wifi, the connection is more difficult to have each time (it's seem to be the same problem that we have with froyo).

With the last version of GR5 (at the 18 nov), connection works 3-4 times and after i have message error in params menu.(reboot and it work again for several times)

With the version of GR5 at the 11 nov. the connection works 10-15 times and same problems after (note: the activation take more second each time)

I think something change between this 2 versions (i say that to help you to find a solution)

I have the last baseband from V20L (725)

Yours, Rifmouk,

PS: i forgot to say that there's a strange thing with SMS, sometime after a reboot, old SMS already readed, re-come like a new one.

I think there's a problem with official baseband

Edited by rifmouk

Guest rasta666

Hello everybody,

First, thanks, Paul for your work.

I have a problem with wifi, the connection is more difficult to have each time (it's seem to be the same problem that we have with froyo).

With the last version of GR5 (at the 18 nov), connection works 3-4 times and after i have message error in params menu.(reboot and it work again for several times)

With the version of GR5 at the 11 nov. the connection works 10-15 times and same problems after (note: the activation take more second each time)

I think something change between this 2 versions (i say that to help you to find a solution)

I have the last baseband from V20L (725)

Yours, Rifmouk,

PS: i forgot to say that there's a strange thing with SMS, sometime after a reboot, old SMS already readed, re-come like a new one.

Same WiFi issue happens to me on first 11 Nov version, 2-3 times since install, after reboot all is fine again, no big deal

Regarding the SMS, if You receive same messages multiple times, that could be a signalling issue between Your phone and the network base station. The station does not receive an acknowledgement of message receipt, so it sends the messages again in the preset retry period. It is not so uncommon but happens mostly in lower quality networks, low signal area, congested network...

Guest Brembo109

Hey I always thought it's a problem with GoSMS witch causes reshowing old sms after restart. Maybe I'm wrong but I had the same issue on CM7 with GoSMS. Also using V20L BB and RIL on both Roms.

Guest chong01

Attached an "incident"

I have seen something similar... there was a huge sudden ~40% drop in battery level, with no applications running. It coincided with the phone network icons being white - had to toggle wifi, data etc to get it back to green.

I recall seeing a "unable to access battery stats" being printed every few seconds in logcat when the network icons went white on my own set sometime ago (Gr4, 0725 baseband from modaco), so my guess is that:

1. Your battery was actually dropping (hence your phone was hot) during the period when the battery level was flat (right before the drop), but the system could not read the battery level and used the last value it had successfully read earlier.
  2. The network came back to life (Do you recall doing anything?) causing the battery stat to become unblocked, and android updated itself with the real (much lower) value, causing you to see a sudden drop in the battery level.
I don't recall having network icon turning white issues that don't fix themselves automatically since I updated my baseband to 0725 with the official LG updater, and updated to Gr5 at the same time.

Hey orloc, if you feel like wanting GB theme but also the toggle buttons, I am running THIS GB Theme (Gingerbread_Theme_V20e.1.4 with % battery) without any problems atm (on Gr5 + r27 kernel). Don't be afraid of music controls, can be switched off (as mentioned in the 1st post). That actually is kind of strange, every other custom theme I know need to come in two flavours: with music controls and without them, and you need to flash the version according to whether you want them or not. With this theme, there are no two version, you can toggle it in runtime via music app preferences. Why don't other themes leverage this ?!

thx!!! it's perfect for me!! :D

Just a reminder that if you've quit out of the startup wizard and your home button isn't working you can try this:

adb shell am start -n com.android.LGSetupWizard/com.android.LGSetupWizard.SetupWelcome

P

Guest Tsaglis

Attached an "incident"

To follow on my peculiar behavior, the last day with GR5 + MCK-r26 ext3 everything runs better than ever. Very smooth, battery life very good and no strange behavior from the device (always stays cool!)

The only question that has to be answered is the memory leak. In the past the device becames laggy after 2-3 days of non stop operation. If this is not an issue, then I think I might have a winner here! (7 months after I bought it!)

Guest PrFalken

Just a reminder that if you've quit out of the startup wizard and your home button isn't working you can try this:

adb shell am start -n com.android.LGSetupWizard/com.android.LGSetupWizard.SetupWelcome

P

LG Wizard ran again, since I'm already using my Gmail account i choosed to skip/finish, but Home button still does nothing :(

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for your great work :)

PrFalken