20 Jan Gr6 (V20o): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (stock+vanilla)

Guest PaulOBrien

I tried a fresh install and I still get the gradient AFTER a call. Are you really absolutely sure you have no gradient AFTER a call, after the status bar turns back to black from green? I'll try it with the default options when I get back from cycling.

I'm looking into it guys. :)

P

Guest abwyatt

I tried a fresh install and I still get the gradient AFTER a call. Are you really absolutely sure you have no gradient AFTER a call, after the status bar turns back to black from green? I'll try it with the default options when I get back from cycling.

Hmmm ... that is a strange bug. Managed to get it to do it now. When I tested yesterday, I didn't do it. Got up this morning and tried it, and yes, it reverts to the gradient status bar. :blink:

Guest abwyatt
I'm looking into it guys. :)P

No disrespect, and I don't mean to demean the bug report that AnonymousPengiun has put forward, but this is a bug affecting aesthetics. IMHO, I think most people would prefer if attention could be devoted to some of the other bugs that are affecting functionality, albeit in a minor way. All these bugs have been reported by others in this thread and on XDA GR1 thread, and by myself :P so I am not going to elaborate too much. Here are my suggestions for the four that concern me the most in order of priority - others may of course have a different opinion:

1. The WiFi/mobile-data connection bug requiring a disconnect and reconnect to get it working. I have been looking into it superficially and what I see is that it is not a reassociation problem. It seems that when a connection is first made, the DHCP may or may not allocate an external IP number (in the case of WiFi going through a router). Maybe a timing issue? The status bar icon color indicator is unreliable also.

For those that are interested, I have yet another Tasker workaround for such bugs. Tasker could be re-marketed as a Bug Workaround Manager :P The most common situation when this problem arises is when I turn on the mobile and unlock the display - my WiFi and mobile data is set to turn off when in sleep mode. So, I have a very simple Tasker task setup with a WiFi Connected and Display Unlocked context. This context runs a task that turns off the WiFi, and then turns on the WiFi after a few seconds. You may need to have a timer before the first task to make sure you catch the WiFi as it turns on during wakeup. I have not yet looked at setting up a task for the mobile data connection just yet as it is not as bad as the WiFi connect problem.

2. The 3G/2G status-bar network-mode icons are displayed in reverse. This may or may not be related to the above problem, have no idea. On the surface, this is an aesthetic problem. But I use the 3G/2G network mode icons to tell me if I am in an area where I can make a video call or not, or whether I have a fast internet connection for bandwidth intensive apps to run or not. Anyway, for now, I just read these icons back to front :P

3. The 3G video call screen time-out problem. Kind of annoying to have to repeatedly keep hitting the power button to turn the screen back on during a video call. The rotated video image I can live with for now as I understand that this is an LG problem.

4. The stock Android keyboard has virtually no tactile feedback. So I am using the LG keyboard instead.

The video recording zoom problem we know is an LG problem, so I do not list it above. I just mention it here to acknowledge it.

I understand that maybe these problems are deep in the code and you may not be able to fix them, but it would be good to have an indication if you think these are fixable or if we just have to wait it out for the next LG update.

Cheers and thanks again for always having the interest to look into our issues :)

Edited by abwyatt

Guest Stevvie

No disrespect, and I don't mean to demean the bug report that AnonymousPengiun has put forward, but this is a bug affecting aesthetics. IMHO, I think most people would prefer if attention could be devoted to some of the other bugs that are affecting functionality, albeit in a minor way. All these bugs have been reported by others in this thread and on XDA GR1 thread, and by myself :P so I am not going to elaborate too much. Here are my suggestions for the four that concern me the most in order of priority - others may of course have a different opinion:

1. The WiFi/mobile-data connection bug requiring a disconnect and reconnect to get it working. I have been looking into it superficially and what I see is that it is not a reassociation problem. It seems that when a connection is first made, the DHCP may or may not allocate an external IP number (in the case of WiFi going through a router). Maybe a timing issue? The status bar icon color indicator is unreliable also.

For those that are interested, I have yet another Tasker workaround for such bugs. Tasker could be re-marketed as a Bug Workaround Manager :P The most common situation when this problem arises is when I turn on the mobile and unlock the display - my WiFi and mobile data is set to turn off when in sleep mode. So, I have a very simple Tasker task setup with a WiFi Connected and Display Unlocked context. This context runs a task that turns off the WiFi, and then turns on the WiFi after a few seconds. You may need to have a timer before the first task to make sure you catch the WiFi as it turns on during wakeup. I have not yet looked at setting up a task for the mobile data connection just yet as it is not as bad as the WiFi connect problem.

2. The 3G/2G status-bar network-mode icons are displayed in reverse. This may or may not be related to the above problem, have no idea. On the surface, this is an aesthetic problem. But I use the 3G/2G network mode icons to tell me if I am in an area where I can make a video call or not, or whether I have a fast internet connection for bandwidth intensive apps to run or not. Anyway, for now, I just read these icons back to front :P

3. The 3G video call screen time-out problem. Kind of annoying to have to repeatedly keep hitting the power button to turn the screen back on during a video call. The rotated video image I can live with for now as I understand that this is an LG problem.

4. The stock Android keyboard has virtually no tactile feedback. So I am using the LG keyboard instead.

The video recording zoom problem we know is an LG problem, so I do not list it above. I just mention it here to acknowledge it.

I understand that maybe these problems are deep in the code and you may not be able to fix them, but it would be good to have an indication if you think these are fixable or if we just have to wait it out for the next LG update.

Cheers and thanks again for always having the interest to look into our issues :)

I must say I have to agree with you as I use the LG gradient theme anyway :)

Guest Artemon

Yesturday, I encountered an another small problem.

My battery was at 20% at the end of the day, so i put on it to the charger.

(I saw the charging animation on the battery icon)

After 3 hours of charging, it was still 20% ... I rebooted my device, and after that., the battery was at 85%.

Spare parts showed the same 20% battery information like the system, before restart.

Guest Stevvie

Yesturday, I encountered an another small problem.

My battery was at 20% at the end of the day, so i put on it to the charger.

(I saw the charging animation on the battery icon)

After 3 hours of charging, it was still 20% ... I rebooted my device, and after that., the battery was at 85%.

Spare parts showed the same 20% battery information like the system, before restart.

I too have just noticed some weird battery readings. I usually don't bother looking at the battery stats as my phone lasts the the whole day and just charge it every night.

I am also looking into this, I was hoping the custom kernel / wifi module might help. but it appears not.

On both themes or a specific one?

The 3G video call screen time-out problem. Kind of annoying to have to repeatedly keep hitting the power button to turn the screen back on during a video call. The rotated video image I can live with for now as I understand that this is an LG problem.

Use Tasker to fix this! :P

I can look at tweaking this, in the interim you could download Steven Lin's Gingerbread keyboard from the Market which has configurable vibrate duration.

Noted. :)

P

Guest abwyatt

On both themes or a specific one?

I have only been using the gingerbread theme, so I am not sure if the same problem occurs without gingerbread. Anyone else?

Use Tasker to fix this! :P

Don't think that I have not thought about it :lol: :P But I am having trouble figuring out how to set up the context. It is screwing my mind up thinking about it! :blink:

I can look at tweaking this, in the interim you could download Steven Lin's Gingerbread keyboard from the Market which has configurable vibrate duration.

Thanks for the tip. I was just trying to avoid adding another app.

Guest abwyatt

I too have just noticed some weird battery readings. I usually don't bother looking at the battery stats as my phone lasts the the whole day and just charge it every night.

Yes, I have observed these incorrect readings in the GR ROMs, kind of like stutters in the reading and reporting of charge and discharge. But the underlying charge does not seem to be affected. Just like yourself, I have not noticed any difference in overall battery life. The readings do self-correct after a while which is why I think it is not a big deal.

Indeed, I think the battery management is on par with the best we have seen. The screen capture shows my battery stats and you can see that it idles along at just 1 mA when asleep. Can't get better than that!

post-744664-0-48116600-1312369332_thumb.

Edited by abwyatt

Guest hackworks

Paul, is it possible to provide a MCR kernel without EXT4? I need the TUN support but not EXT4 so that I retain the flexibility to switch ROMs without having to convert the filesystem type

Edited by hackworks

Guest abwyatt

I Have A problem..

with new custum kernel (GR2), boot animation is very long (about 6 minutes).. :(

sry for my english

Oops, yes I forgot to put this down on my list of bugs/issues for Paul to have a look at. :P I use the SU660 animation and it takes 3 minutes to boot up. Luckily I don't have cause to reboot much these days, but your 6 minute boot would drive me crazy. This problem is related to the new MCK kernel.

Oops, yes I forgot to put this down on my list of bugs/issues for Paul to have a look at. :P I use the SU660 animation and it takes 3 minutes to boot up. Luckily I don't have cause to reboot much these days, but your 6 minute boot would drive me crazy. This problem is related to the new MCK kernel.

Another one; if you connect a Bluetooth hands free device, the phone only obey to the Bluetooth device when the screen is on. For example; I start a call, the screen goes of (standby), I press the button in the Bluetooth device to stop the call and nothing happens... if I wake up the screen, the call goes off immediately.

Guest Jack B

Do you have to convert the new update in to ext4, or does it do it by it self?

EDIT: I found out, that i does change to ext4 automaticly.

Edited by Jack B

Guest abwyatt

Another one; if you connect a Bluetooth hands free device, the phone only obey to the Bluetooth device when the screen is on. For example; I start a call, the screen goes of (standby), I press the button in the Bluetooth device to stop the call and nothing happens... if I wake up the screen, the call goes off immediately.

I don't see this problem on my setup. Using the call button on the bluetooth unit (Sony DRC-BT60), I can answer calls and hangup while the screen is off. I am a heavy bluetooth user as I am a motorcyclist and have not encountered any problems apart from the still non-functioning voice-calling function that LG still has not implemented in their bluetooth interface :angry:

I just replicated your example by initiating a call on the handset, let the screen turn off when the phone I am calling answers, and then hang-up with the bluetooth call button. Screen wakes up by itself briefly in lock mode after the call is disconnected and then goes off again. Works perfectly, I think.

Guest 719rock
  • Selecting the experimental MoDaCo Custom Kernel option now will include converting your device to - and running on - EXT4.

Has been completed Now??????

Guest bambax

Whassup Paul, thanks for the great service. This gingerbread rom is working for me in all areas except for one thing. Mobile data will simply not work!!! It switches to green but the browser or any data service doesn't. I have tried the gingerbread baseband and your new kernel but the issue persists. Got any pointers?

Guest AnonymousPengiun

• Selecting the experimental MoDaCo Custom Kernel option now will include converting your device to - and running on - EXT4.

Has been completed Now??????

Yes.

I don't see this problem on my setup. Using the call button on the bluetooth unit (Sony DRC-BT60), I can answer calls and hangup while the screen is off. I am a heavy bluetooth user as I am a motorcyclist and have not encountered any problems apart from the still non-functioning voice-calling function that LG still has not implemented in their bluetooth interface :angry:

I just replicated your example by initiating a call on the handset, let the screen turn off when the phone I am calling answers, and then hang-up with the bluetooth call button. Screen wakes up by itself briefly in lock mode after the call is disconnected and then goes off again. Works perfectly, I think.

Strange!

I'm using the LG lock and now I'm going to try the Google lock to see if the problem is in LG lock.

Thanks for trying it abwyatt :)

Anyone else notice a problem with the gallery app? When zooming all the way in, the picture just becomes a blocky mess instead of becoming clear after a few seconds. This happens to both pictures taken with the phone camera and pictures that I manually copied to the internal SD.

Edit: No such problems at all with QuickPIC.

Edited by akyp

Anyone else notice a problem with the gallery app? When zooming all the way in, the picture just becomes a blocky mess instead of becoming clear after a few seconds. This happens to both pictures taken with the phone camera and pictures that I manually copied to the internal SD.

Edit: No such problems at all with QuickPIC.

LG Gallery or Google Gallery?

P

Guest morckx

I am not able to reproduce this with Gr2 (2011-07-28 version with custom kernel).

M.

Guest kruppin

Whassup Paul, thanks for the great service. This gingerbread rom is working for me in all areas except for one thing. Mobile data will simply not work!!! It switches to green but the browser or any data service doesn't. I have tried the gingerbread baseband and your new kernel but the issue persists. Got any pointers?

Same for me sometimes. Helps for the moment to go to settings -> network -> mobile networks and then turn of data and on again..