Improving your battery life

Guest marc1974

Guest rmein

For me, switching to 2G only is the best way to save battery.

I think the main reason for this is that at both home and work I get 4 bars of 2G reception, but only one or two bars of 3G reception. I guess this might be fixed by a baseband update, but it's probably the network's fault rather than one with the phone. Bad reception is always a battery killer for any phone.

I've been playing around with tasker, but there seems to be no way to switch to 2G when I'm at home and 3G when I'm out and about sad.gif. I just leave it on 2G and then have to switch it manually to 3G when I try to do anything that needs the bandwidth when I'm away from my WiFi.

Guest Stevvie

For me, switching to 2G only is the best way to save battery.

I think the main reason for this is that at both home and work I get 4 bars of 2G reception, but only one or two bars of 3G reception. I guess this might be fixed by a baseband update, but it's probably the network's fault rather than one with the phone. Bad reception is always a battery killer for any phone.

I've been playing around with tasker, but there seems to be no way to switch to 2G when I'm at home and 3G when I'm out and about sad.gif. I just leave it on 2G and then have to switch it manually to 3G when I try to do anything that needs the bandwidth when I'm away from my WiFi.

Also choose your widgets wisely. A bad weather widget can go a long way to explain poor battery life.

Guest BUFUMAN

Hmm if u use ur recommend settings, i lose completely 3G or 2G connection.

I think wlan standby has to do with it...

I need 2 restart my phone

Guest jon.m.knight

just noticed your thread, don't know if you wanted to add the two apps below?

- Using SetCPU (or similar) to set profiles is another good way of conserving battery.

- JuiceDefender

just noticed your thread, don't know if you wanted to add the two apps below?

- Using SetCPU (or similar) to set profiles is another good way of conserving battery.

- JuiceDefender

- Most user do not use a kernel that supports overclocking.

- As I stated I do not believe in JuiceDefender, I use instant messaging and it is a Smartphone, it should be able to run on at least 2g or more

Guest jon.m.knight

- Most user do not use a kernel that supports overclocking.

- As I stated I do not believe in JuiceDefender, I use instant messaging and it is a Smartphone, it should be able to run on at least 2g or more

If you're posting this on XDA, chances are that most people have already rooted.

That being the case, stock kernels support UNDERCLOCKING by default (don't they?) - which is how you save battery; not by overclocking (in which case, yes you'd need a kernel that supports it)

Fair point with juice defender, I personally think it makes a difference.

Edited by jon.m.knight

Guest marc1974

I'm not sure what made the difference for me, I'm assuming the RIL and baseband matching are very important, I also check catlog now and again to make sure there are no rogue apps or processes constantly running. I'm pretty sure minfreemanager is doing some good as well, I'm not a fan of juicedefender. WiFi sleep policy should also be set to never, I'm sure turning it on and off with screen eats away at your battery. I'm currently using CM #101 just because it works and I am getting excellent battery life, if it's not broken..... I don't know what other people's battery stats look like but here's mine which are pretty constant for me at the moment, the big drop was due to downloading and installing a 93MB update over 3G rolleyes.gif

post-791746-0-93776500-1312743101_thumb.post-791746-0-06016900-1312743094_thumb.

Edited by marc1974

Guest Peterfdevries

Looking at your stats it isnt strange you have got left so much battery. You are barrely using your phone according to the 'screen on' and 'awake' :)