Changing screen orientation causes audio stuttering

Guest redhawkuk

Guest redhawkuk

As much as I like Android as an Operating System the stock media player is disappointing as well as the audio stuttering caused by changing screen orientation.

The weird thing about the stuttering is this doesn't always happen (from a fresh reboot) some event triggers this problem such as merely accessing the "Accounts and sync" settings page.

I've done some Googling on stuttering and the Orange SF / ZTE Blade is just the same as well as a few other Android handsets so it seems to be a common problem.

Is there a reason for the stuttering or is this an inherent bug in the Kernel for Android 2.1??

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Racerboy

try changing the cache size of your sdcard as default is 128kb to 1024kb or 2048kb their are loads of apps on market for it that are free, like sd-booster, will speed up gallery and you`ll have no lag on videos no matter if you change orientation.....

Edit: typo

Edited by Racerboy

Guest redhawkuk

Hi Racerboy, thanks for your suggestion regarding sd-booster but this hasn't solved my stuttering problem.

As far as I can tell the issue isn't memory related because online radio streaming doesn't use the SD-card card.

Stalling happens with the stock player listening to mp3 files as well as several other online radio streaming applications.

For example digitally imported (com.audioaddict.di), when I flip the screen origination it caused the application to stall for 1/4 a second and continue.

I know this isn't a buffering issue because if I disable wifi access the music continues to play for a further 5 seconds.

The only fix I have so far is a reboot but it's only a temporary measure because after 8 hours or so the problem resurfaces again or if I toggle "Background data" on -> off or off -> on.

For a handset with 600MHz ARMv6 processor you would have thought this was enough to play music flawlessly.

I've uploaded a video of my Racer to help explain my situation - http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/rh_sysinternals/?action=view&current=audio_problem.mp4

Richard S.

Edited by redhawkuk

Guest Racerboy

hi, ya the sd-booster will only solve being able to play media and such like stored on your sdcard, but i do remember my stock 2.1 3uk ROM having the same issues when streaming media from the net like youtube and it had completely buffered the file..........what i did basically was install a custom ROM and all was sorted with no problems at all streaming, it wasnt the only reason why i installed a custom ROM

Edited by Racerboy