Skate - why hard to unlock/root

Guest t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

Why did Orange make it more difficult to lock down the Skate?

The fear is that it would stifle the sales of the Skate as a result due to

1. Hard to root
  2. Hard to unlock

It was those two factors in the reverse, i.e. easy to do both, which made the Blade extremely popular and that meant more profit for both Orange and ZTE.

So, is Orange trying to put a stranglehold on it once they realized how popular the blade was and regarded it as "a mistake" as now everyone can unlock it and root it?

And perhaps, the sales of the Skate won't take off as a result..... :(

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Simon O

Why did Orange make it more difficult to lock down the Skate?

The fear is that it would stifle the sales of the Skate as a result due to

1. Hard to root
  2. Hard to unlock

It was those two factors in the reverse, i.e. easy to do both, which made the Blade extremely popular and that meant more profit for both Orange and ZTE.

So, is Orange trying to put a stranglehold on it once they realized how popular the blade was and regarded it as "a mistake" as now everyone can unlock it and root it?

And perhaps, the sales of the Skate won't take off as a result..... :(

It has been rooted and Paul has an easy method for people now :D

Guest lordjubblydave

But the Skate s already rooted.

Paul did it within a couple of hours of getting one, I'm no expert and maybe the processwas tricky but going by the speed it was rooted It can't have been that tricky

Guest t0mm13b

It has been rooted and Paul has an easy method for people now :D

Great! :D

Take that one of the list in my OP... :P

Now what about unlocking? B)

Guest Simon O

Great! :D

Take that one of the list in my OP... :P

Now what about unlocking? B)

Unlocking will need to be worked out.. not the same as the Blade so the usual generators don't work. Might use the same codes as another ZTE device though.. or not :(

Guest t0mm13b

Unlocking will need to be worked out.. not the same as the Blade so the usual generators don't work. Might use the same codes as another ZTE device though.. or not :(

Yeah! Pity about that.. :(

Depending on the deal expansys.ie are offering for a unlocked/sim free skate.... am weighing up options here ... get the blade defo replaced/fixed somehow, (no luck with orange either being shuffled around etc)

Wait and see, some bright spark somewhere will have it cracked no doubt! Cracked as in, NOT cracking in the sense of word of getting license key bla bla, cracked as in getting the algorithm... :D

Guest nash1977

Networks now insert random numbers into the unlock code (which are solely held by them), which means the algorithm cannot be determined, and generators cannot be created.

Guest swukjay

Networks now insert random numbers into the unlock code (which are solely held by them), which means the algorithm cannot be determined, and generators cannot be created.

the zte blade was a classic example of them doing just that !

Guest sej7278

the phone has to have some method to check its received a valid code though, so it will be there somewhere.

To answer the op - Part of the calculation of the price for a network phone is how much they expect to make off the customers over the life of owership. I think way too many people simply unlocked their blade and took it elsewhere for orange's liking.

Guest billybiro

To answer the op - Part of the calculation of the price for a network phone is how much they expect to make off the customers over the life of owership. I think way too many people simply unlocked their blade and took it elsewhere for orange's liking.

I agree, although that really should tell Orange something about their network & prices away from the phones themselves! ;)

Guest medeven

:D I have an unused Orange sim with over £20 lying around on it somewhere for this very reason.

Orange seem to like to grab some good phones on exclusive, but Im not going to use their network when TMobile have the 6months internet add on for £20.

I agree, although that really should tell Orange something about their network & prices away from the phones themselves! ;)

Yep, I left Orange because they stole my initial credit and then failed to rectify despite accepting it! I try to avoid any company who has call centres abroad which are manned by robots with scripts.

I know - I got my Blade, registered it, unlocked it and stuck a three sim card in it! I did the same for a couple of other people.

Guest sej7278

Yep, I left Orange because they stole my initial credit and then failed to rectify despite accepting it! I try to avoid any company who has call centres abroad which are manned by robots with scripts.

wow you must be avoiding a lot lol! i get shocked these days when i phone someone up and don't get an accent.

but yeah, when i bought my SF it took a fair bit of haggling to get the free £10 credit i was supposed to get (argos offer) on top of the £10 i had to buy, despite me already having an orange payg sim for 5 years.

the whole mobile phone industry is a racket though.

Edited by sej7278