09 Aug: Superboot - root access for the ZTE Skate

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest senthilds

HI Johnny,

I had follow your instruction to my Taiwan fantastic T3 and rooted successes fully after that i cant get access my phone.When i switch on gingerbread logo goes on freeze all the time.please do needfully.

Thanks in advance.

Android 2.3.4 /2.3.5 root and recovery installation package : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7NKE5AR

I root the Taiwan mobile Android 2.3.5 ROM success !!

Please click the correct patch file for root your phone!!

Enjoy it!!!

Guest fsmartins84

I am still stuck at the "<waiting for device>" message... Installed several drivers but none worked.

I am using windows 7 and I am trying to root an Orange Monte Carlo.

Any clue for a noob?!

Guest fsmartins84

you can get them from the android sdk here http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html download the .zip extract it to desk top (easier to find) then run the sdk manager .exe

cancel the choose packages to install pop up.

click on available packages / then open third party tab / then the google inc tab / then select google usb driver package.

then press install selected.

when its finished the drivers will be in the folder where you extracted the android sdk

under--> android-sdk-windows /extras /google /usb_driver

now how to install the google usb drivers from the android sdk

uninstall the - handset_usb_driver.exe - that is installed from the phone before starting.........

when you plug the phone in and it pops up to reinstall the .exe just close it, go to my computer right click it and safely remove so it disappears.

this will work using vista / XP

make sure usb debugging is turned on ----- on your phone.

follow the superboot guide until you get to the point where it says waiting for device and phone stops at green android logo. leave it like that and continue below

now press start & right click on my computer or computer witch ever yours says then click manage.

select device manager.

now under other devices it should say androidphone double click the androidphone then the driver tab & open update driver.

select browse my computer for driver software.

use the ---- browse for driver software ---- to direct it to the usb_driver folder from the android sdk.

then underneath click let me pick from a list of driver devices on my computer.

the box will be empty so press have disc.

now select the drive you have the android sdk installed on for me it woz C:\

now direct it threw the android sdk to the usb_driver folder.

for me it woz ----> android-sdk-windows / extras / google / usb_driver

open the usb_driver folder & select the android_winusb.inf press ok then next.

windows will give some warning saying if you want to proceed just ignore it & press yes and install.

now there might be two androidphone devices in device manager (one under the other) disable the one that has the yellow triangle next to it by right clicking then pressing disable.

soon as you do that the process should continue and the phone will reboot after a minute or two and should be rooted.

if not, run the superboot process again and it should work.

when your rooted & have clockwork you can reinstall the handset_drivers.exe from the phone, and will not need do this procedure again as the androidphone drivers are now installed. smile.gif

is there any updated link for the drivers? I am still stuck at the "waiting for device" message....

Guest anfield786

Like a number of users I am really struggling to root my monte carlo. Keep getting the "waiting for device" message. Have read most of the helpful hints about trying different drivers/ google sdk etc.

However, how do i change the driver(s)?

In device manager my phone is listed under Disk Drives as a ZTE Mass storage usb device. When i right click and select update driver software and manually select the driver software, I get "Windows determined driver software for your device is upto date".

Any help greatly appreciated from a newbie frustrated user.

Guest gitf@ce

These driver issues really are annoying...had the same problem when I bought my Advent Vega and again with the Skate!

Basically when you think you have tried everything, pulled all your hair out, kicked the cat and just about ready to hit your device with a very big hammer, it will suddenly work :D

I have to use two different pc's with different drivers. An XP machine for FTM mode and Win7 64 for rooting and roms.

From what I remember I updated the driver in device manager with another and it suddenly worked. I can't remember the exact sequence but I'm sure it's listed in this forum. I will have a look later and see if I can find it.

For Android 2.3.4 only!

Don't try this instructions on a phone with an other Androidversion, it will bootloop.

Don't waste your time messing around with drivers for Windows xxx. If it doesn't work for you under Windows, just do as described here.

None of the previously posted procedures worked for me but this way it worked flawlessly (Stock Staraddict)

Step-by-step HowTo install Superboot for everyone (with LINUX)

No need to install any driver for whatever. No need to install LINUX.

This should work with any LINUX (preinstall or boot from CD or USB pen-drive).

- Activate USB-Debugging on your phone (as described in a previous post)

- Turn off (remove the battery once turned off) and unplug your phone

- Start the LINUX distribution of your choice

- Download Superboot from post #1

- Unpack the downloaded file (right-click and select unpack here) and remember the path where you did unpack it to

- Open a terminal (command box)

- Enter sudo su to become root (1)

- Enter your password (2)

- Change to the directory where you unpacked Superboot to ( cd ~/Downloads/r2-OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05-skate-superboot/ in my case)

- Enter the following command to start the Superboot-script: ./install-superboot-linux.sh (3)

- Wait until the daemon has started. You should see the message: < waiting for device >

- Plug your phone onto an USB-port of your computer

- Place the battery into your phone

- Switch your phone on by pressing simultaneously [Vol-] + [Home] + [Power] (4)

- As soon as you feel your phone vibrating, release (only) the Power-button

- Keep [Vol-] and [Home] pressed until you see the green Android

- As soon as you release the two buttons, you should see the following message on the screen: sending 'boot'

- A few seconds later, the following message should appear on your screen: rebooting...

- Your phone should restart

- After your phone has restarted, you should find the App Superuser on your phone

You're done!

1Some distributions don't like the sudo command. If sudo su doesn't work for you, just enter su (without sudo )

2If you had to enter su (without sudo), you will need to enter the root password here

3This command will not work without the dot ( . ) preceding the slash

4 For Staraddict only: Since the buttons Home and Menu are inverted on the Staraddict, you must press the Menu-button instead of the Home-button

(Did i ever mention that I love LINUX?)

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Like several other frustrated people, I experienced the green Android man immediately I attached the usb lead. (Battery was out and phone had been powered down, as per the instructions.)

The phone appeared to be repeatedly trying to boot (vibration, green man, black screen, vib etc.) but without the battery, it couldn't.

However, pressing Vol- and Home together during this cycling allowed the phone to be recognised by the PC software, resulting in it continuing beyond the < waiting for device > prompt. The contents of the terminal window looked like this:

./install-superboot-linux.sh

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

< waiting for device >

sending 'boot' (3656 KB)... OKAY

writing 'boot'... OKAY

rebooting...

I disconnected the usb cable, plugged in the battery, and switched on the phone, which booted normally. The "Superuser" app was now listed under Applications.

NB This method also worked for installing clockworkmod using linux.

It is annoying that there are so many variables causing people problems, with what should a simple procedure, hence the pages and pages of "trial and error" solutions here. For the San Francisco, rooting it using linux was a one line command, similar to the supposedly simple method listed on the first page of this thread.

Unfortunately, those instructions are wrong - it can be more complicated that. I suspect that the reason Chris didn't experience auto reboots, is because the USB port he used didn't supply power to the phone (some ports don't).

Chris, I think you should update your procedure to cater for those who struggled after following your instructions.

And these should somehow be pinned on the first page for linux users, so people don't have to wade through pages of anecdotal experiences. Its even worse for the Windows users - mainly because the instructions rarely identify which operating system the drivers should be used with (winxp or win7), so people install the wrong ones, causing all sorts of problems.

Anyway, thanks for helping me root my phone and allow me to install custom ROMs :)

Any change of this working on 2.3.5?

EDIT: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7NKE5AR worked perfect on a UK rom.

Have used this excellent guide to root my OMC (THANK YOU to all the clever people on these boards) but like the poster above, was wondering how I could root a ZTE Skate unbranded 2.3.5 (GB_BP_P743V1.0.0B01) now? Would the above upload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7NKE5AR ) work on it? Also, when rooting the OMC, I had to download various drives. I found the 'How to install the drivers for OMC/ZTE Skate' guide very helpful. Would I need the same drivers for the 2.3.5 Skate? Does anyone have any resources for doing this?

Guest Chris_67

Have used this excellent guide to root my OMC (THANK YOU to all the clever people on these boards) but like the poster above, was wondering how I could root a ZTE Skate unbranded 2.3.5 (GB_BP_P743V1.0.0B01) now? Would the above upload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7NKE5AR ) work on it? Also, when rooting the OMC, I had to download various drives. I found the 'How to install the drivers for OMC/ZTE Skate' guide very helpful. Would I need the same drivers for the 2.3.5 Skate? Does anyone have any resources for doing this?

Yes, that package works for 2.3.5 as well (pleas read the readme-file contained into the zip). This Package contains both, the superboot for 2.3.4 and for 2.3.5. And yes, the procedure is exactly the same as for 2.3.4 on behalf that you need the correct superboot-file.

An alternative is to flash one of the custom-ROMs. They are already rooted.

Yes, that package works for 2.3.5 as well (pleas read the readme-file contained into the zip). This Package contains both, the superboot for 2.3.4 and for 2.3.5. And yes, the procedure is exactly the same as for 2.3.4 on behalf that you need the correct superboot-file.

An alternative is to flash one of the custom-ROMs. They are already rooted.

Thank you Chris_67 for your response. Hopefully the drivers I downloaded in the process of rooting the OMC will be the ones I need for the Skate. I will read the readme file carefully before doing anything.

I did not know however that instead of rooting (the unbranded Skate) I could simply flash one of the ROMS on it. Don't I need to be rooted in order to install ClockWork through which then I can install a new ROM?

Guest Chris_67

The drivers should fit.

No need to be rooted to install anything on your phone, as long as it can be installed by the process of flashing.

Edited by Chris_67

You're welcome!

Just a couple more questions (and I hope these still fit the thread). I have rooted the ZTE 2.3.5 - Thank you, Johnny Hung ! :)

Edited by Itted

Guest vdubster

Hey All,

Should be getting me Skate trw after my HTC Desire died last week.

I have a question or 2.

1) Having had my PC set up for Desire rooting/flashing etc, providing the Skate is not 2.3.5 can i just go ahead a run the 'install-superboot-windows.bat' to root it?

1a) But if the Skate is 2.3.5 what are my options for rooting?

2) Assuming rooting goes OK, is the 'install-recovery-windows.bat' the next step?

2a) And then i assume i vol down and power to enter recovery and back-up, is this all that is needed to back-up an Orange branded Skate in case i need to return to stock?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

James

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Hey All,

Should be getting me Skate trw after my HTC Desire died last week.

I have a question or 2.

1) Having had my PC set up for Desire rooting/flashing etc, providing the Skate is not 2.3.5 can i just go ahead a run the 'install-superboot-windows.bat' to root it?

1a) But if the Skate is 2.3.5 what are my options for rooting?

2) Assuming rooting goes OK, is the 'install-recovery-windows.bat' the next step?

2a) And then i assume i vol down and power to enter recovery and back-up, is this all that is needed to back-up an Orange branded Skate in case i need to return to stock?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

James

Hi James,

Welcome to Skate :)

1)Yes

1a)Go for Johnny Hung's package, superboot for 2.3.5 included

2)It depends on what you want. If you want to install a custom ROM by CWM recovery, you don't need to root you OMC beforehand.

2a)You can backup your Orange stock ROM that way. But it is not necessary - To TPT an Orange image.bin is the most convenient way to get everything back to Orange

Guest vdubster

Hi James,

Welcome to Skate :)

1)Yes

1a)Go for Johnny Hung's package, superboot for 2.3.5 included

2)It depends on what you want. If you want to install a custom ROM by CWM recovery, you don't need to root you OMC beforehand.

2a)You can backup your Orange stock ROM that way. But it is not necessary - To TPT an Orange image.bin is the most convenient way to get everything back to Orange

Thanks,

All done + Removed Orange rubbish + Added Zeam launcher + changed boot animation :-)

J