Hacking Skate for Blade?

Guest sej7278

Guest sej7278

I thought I'd start a thread regarding what the skate release, rooting, romdumps etc. means to us bladers who may be feeling a little left out. moved from skate topic

for starters we have the stock romdump (well, with paul's recovery/superboot added) thanks to MoreLazers

and the stock config.gz vs. the leaked kernel (used in gingerstirfry) config.gz which are very different (see attachments).

this portion seems to highlight that the 2.6.35 kernel source (if we ever get it!) will recompile on blade and libra:

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE is not set

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE2 is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA_PANEL is not set 

skate_config.gz

stirfry_config.gz

Edited by sej7278

Guest sej7278

The Skate rom is odexed too so it'll need deodexing to be of any use on the Blade. Easy enough to do.

ouch, you thinking of trying the whole skate rom on a blade lol?

any interest in clockworkmod 4.0.1.4 for blade btw, i've built it from cyanogenmod source, not sure there's any real difference though. and its a bit of a cow to install via adb/fastboot (not sure how to make an update.zip for it)

Guest Maxsas360

Am ai not understanding anything or what: Arent these phones different? Chipsets differs, screen sizes differs, screens and digitizers differs and many things more. Are ZTE that stupid to add Blade drivers to Skate kernel?

Guest t0mm13b

Looking at the Skate config - am surprised!!!!

NOT!!!!

What the hell has it got the same board references to the surf and ffa - identical to blade... another thing I noticed as well - pcmcia cards functionality compiled in?! :blink:

The crucial part is near the top, its VMSPLIT_2G set, so fat chance of that going on the blade with CM7....

Oh dear!!! Am dreading this now.....

Guest sej7278

Am ai not understanding anything or what: Arent these phones different? Chipsets differs, screen sizes differs, screens and digitizers differs and many things more. Are ZTE that stupid to add Blade drivers to Skate kernel?

lots of companies do that sort of thing - the blade was probably the development platform for the skate, might be why they stuck with the same (ish) cpu.

zte did that in the blade's 2.6.32 kernel - there's mentions of the skate and libra in there:

# CONFIG_MACH_SKATE is not set

# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_SKATE_WVGA_PANEL is not set

CONFIG_LIBRA_SDIOIF=m

Guest sej7278

The crucial part is near the top, its VMSPLIT_2G set, so fat chance of that going on the blade with CM7....

but VMSPLIT_2G just means it won't run as-is on the blade, doesn't mean it can't be changed if/when we get the 2.6.35 source.

and i thought VMSPLIT_2G support was in merged into cm7 now after the GSF leaks?

Guest t0mm13b

but VMSPLIT_2G just means it won't run as-is on the blade, doesn't mean it can't be changed if/when we get the 2.6.35 source.

and i thought VMSPLIT_2G support was in merged into cm7 now after the GSF leaks?

VMSPLIT_2G will run on the blade, period. No questions asked. It was there since around May/June that it got approved on Gerrit.

The official CM7 source and nightlies that you get are compiled with VMSPLIT_3G, the memory addresses will clash with the kernel's memory layout ONLY if the Skate's kernel was dropped in place right now.

Really, VMSPLIT_2G is a generic one-size fit all approach for all variants of handsets hence it will work regardless of the RAM it has.

Yes, VMSPLIT_2G is already in CM7, but that would mean - an unofficial CM7 would be deployed/kanged as a result if this was done right now as in the present current time.

It would be very interesting to see the kernel (once source comes out) that it gets recompiled as VMSPLIT_3G and perhaps, CM7 will fly! Just wait and see :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest hecatae

skate uses a broadcom wifi chipset, so we'll need to replace that, this will need someone with adb replacing files one by one to see what needs fixing

I replaced the zImage with the one from the blade gingerbread leak & the modaco skate rom boots as far as the setup wizard, can complete the setup wizard & then setup wizard force closes, can't get past that stage. No mobile signal either. So ril & wifi need replacing, possibly some other stuff too.

Got everything working with my orange monte carlo to san francisco port, except it needs a bit more de-oranging, setup wizard still causing trouble. Needed to replace a lot of things with ginger stir fry files, TomG was a big help on IRC. It still has new (slightly) improved EGL libs & a few other bug fixes over the blade gingerbread leak.

It's heavily branded, a lot of extra orange stuff is included in the stock rom. The kernel doesnt boot on the blade, sensors, gps, bluetooth, wifi, RIL files all needed replacing with blade versions.

Edited by wbaw

Guest whatcolour

Got everything working with my orange monte carlo to san francisco port, except it needs a bit more de-oranging, setup wizard still causing trouble. Needed to replace a lot of things with ginger stir fry files, TomG was a big help on IRC. It still has new (slightly) improved EGL libs & a few other bug fixes over the blade gingerbread leak.

It's heavily branded, a lot of extra orange stuff is included in the stock rom. The kernel doesnt boot on the blade, sensors, gps, bluetooth, wifi, RIL files all needed replacing with blade versions.

Great news and good work!

Guest targetbsp

Presumably, the amount you've had to change here and not with the leak suggests the original leak is an actual Gingerbread build for the Blade that they've been working on then and that we might be getting officially in the future then?

Edited by targetbsp

Guest gsam101

No, they're smart enough not to do the work twice I think X).

Guest C3P001

Presumably, the amount you've had to change here and not with the leak suggests the original leak is an actual Gingerbread build for the Blade that they've been working on then and that we might be getting officially in the future then?

Thats what i was thinking , But i am not so sure we will see official gingerbread update for the Blade

Guest sej7278

but didn't someone from zte say there was no, and would be no, 2.3 for blade, suggesting more that the leak was a development build for the skate that just happened to work on the blade - backed up by the development hardware running at 600mhz.

i guess they changed a few bits since then for the production build, although looking at the changelog in a few of the files, they seem to have had this build all done and dusted by february.

Guest Pelemane

but didn't someone from zte say there was no, and would be no, 2.3 for blade, suggesting more that the leak was a development build for the skate that just happened to work on the blade - backed up by the development hardware running at 600mhz.

i guess they changed a few bits since then for the production build, although looking at the changelog in a few of the files, they seem to have had this build all done and dusted by february.

They are releasing ZTE Libra with 2.3.4. It's just Blade with different casing. So I guess that leak is from that device.

Guest atillaahun

They are releasing ZTE Libra with 2.3.4. It's just Blade with different casing. So I guess that leak is from that device.

Really? Where? Cause in Hungary we got Libra with 2.2.2 ;(

Guest sej7278

are they? i thought the libra was the 2.2 blade. so if that happens, probably a much better target to rip 2.6.35 from than the skate, but we should have sourcecode by then.

Guest k0zmic

Really? Where? Cause in Hungary we got Libra with 2.2.2 ;(

are they? i thought the libra was the 2.2 blade. so if that happens, probably a much better target to rip 2.6.35 from than the skate, but we should have sourcecode by then.

Looks like they are: http://www.superetrader.co.uk/zte/zte-libra-sim-free.html?gad=CMDIu8kDEgg-s_Nh2Zr1URiY3OT-AyCY9p4zPHPSESSID=f2b3716bb72e8f13ee5b51cc23cc750e

Introducing the ZTE Libra, the latest smartphone from ZTE, with an impressive 3.5” high resolution display and the very latest Android OS (2.3.4) this affordable smartphone is definitely not one to be missed.

Guest atillaahun

Supertrader? :)

Specification tab > Internal memory: unknown, Expandable memory: unknown, but they do know the version of the OS, come on. It's not impossible though, but imho has the same chance as Skate has 1gHz processor.

Furthermore it's more expensive then the Skate. Have they gone mad?

Guest k0zmic

Supertrader? :)

Specification tab > Internal memory: unknown, Expandable memory: unknown, but they do know the version of the OS, come on. It's not impossible though, but imho has the same chance as Skate has 1gHz processor.

Furthermore it's more expensive then the Skate. Have they gone mad?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Modaco use their phones to give away for competitions. It's more expensive because it's unbranded i.e. no Orange subsidy.

But Eurodroid, Pocket Lint & BrightPoint say 2.3.

http://www.eurodroid...-the-zte-libra/

http://www.pocket-li...d-android-phone

http://blog.brightpo...ucing-zte-libra

King Of Gadgets say 2.2, along with Amazon as mentioned above.

http://www.kingofgad...bile-phone.html

Just found the ZTE press release, they say 2.2

http://wwwen.zte.com...704_241742.html

Really not sure now laugh.gif

Edited by k0zmic

Guest irishpancake

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Modaco use their phones to give away for competitions. It's more expensive because it's unbranded i.e. no Orange subsidy.

But Eurodroid, Pocket Lint & BrightPoint say 2.3.

http://www.eurodroid...-the-zte-libra/

http://www.pocket-li...d-android-phone

http://blog.brightpo...ucing-zte-libra

King Of Gadgets say 2.2, along with Amazon as mentioned above.

http://www.kingofgad...bile-phone.html

Just found the ZTE press release, they say 2.2

http://wwwen.zte.com...704_241742.html

That brightpoint review is very interesting.....kernal is shown as 2.6.35 ohmy.gif

zte_blade_01.png