OMC Vs. HD2

Guest ColinMCMXC

Guest ColinMCMXC

hi, been hanging around this forum for the past couple of days, iv got £150 to spend on my new phone and basicly i cant decide between the two, can anyone point me in the right direction. im also open to any other suggestions but i am fond of nice big screens, thanks everyone

Guest gitf@ce

Don't think you'll get an HD2 for 150 quid somehow? If you want a big screen go for the biggest and get a Dell Streak 5" (factory recon available on ebay for £200), it maybe a year old design but still light years ahead of the disappointing Skate. It's got ARM7, Gorilla glass screen, factory unlocked (looks like it's Orange only on the Skate so no GiffGaff), hackable internal memory etc, etc...

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest Atomix86

Definitely HD2, its got the same big 4.3" screen but better specs (1ghz processor, better camera), feels nice and sturdy thanks to the trademark excellent HTC build quality, and is a flashers dream (it can run Android (both Sense and AOSP variants), WinMo 6.1 & 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Ubuntu, meego, the list goes on).

Edited by Atomix86

Guest sej7278

Definitely HD2, its got the same big 4.3" screen but better specs (1ghz processor, better camera), feels nice and sturdy thanks to the trademark excellent HTC build quality, and is a flashers dream (it can run Android (both Sense and AOSP variants), WinMo 6.1 & 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Ubuntu, meego, the list goes on).

holy moly, i've never seen that - miui, cm7, the lot.

Guest cmberry20

Been looking at an HD2 as an upgrade to my Blade, I seen loads on Ebay for about £180 refurb.

Best I've seen is a £170 one, buy now & free delivery. Very good condition with only a slight scratch on the back.

For only £20 more than the OMC I think its a no brainer.

I no longer want a Skate because of the poor CPU & no Flash support. Shame if couldnt deliver.

Guest Atomix86

true but it is still an ARM7 cpu, thats gotta count for something, hasnt it?

No, as it won't run flash (which has an arbitrary minimum CPU speed requirement of 800mhz).

Guest Atomix86
Been looking at an HD2 as an upgrade to my Blade, I seen loads on Ebay for about £180 refurb.

Best I've seen is a £170 one, buy now & free delivery. Very good condition with only a slight scratch on the back.

For only £20 more than the OMC I think its a no brainer.

I no longer want a Skate because of the poor CPU & no Flash support. Shame if couldnt deliver.

Look out for auctions ending soon, I got mine for 140 mint condition boxed with all original accessories.

Guest Frankish

Look out for auctions ending soon, I got mine for 140 mint condition boxed with all original accessories.

How the hell? I've not seen a single one go for that cheap that wasn't damaged, I've been keeping an eye on them for ages,

Guest Atomix86

How the hell? I've not seen a single one go for that cheap that wasn't damaged, I've been keeping an eye on them for ages,

Luck and keeping a keen eye on auctions ending soon, and a little sniping ;).

Guest cmberry20

lol! A mint on just went 10 seconds ago on ebay for £140 (+£4 P&P) which included a cradle & 4GB card.

It looks like the Skate could be a poor deal for whats out there!

Guest ColinMCMXC

lol! A mint on just went 10 seconds ago on ebay for £140 (+£4 P&P) which included a cradle & 4GB card.

It looks like the Skate could be a poor deal for whats out there!

yeah, iv seen them go for £120 on the bay, just a matter of timing and waiting, also avforums is a good place to get some deals on used phones, if you dont mind putting your trust in other people :/

Guest Atomix86

yeah, iv seen them go for £120 on the bay, just a matter of timing and waiting, also avforums is a good place to get some deals on used phones, if you dont mind putting your trust in other people :/

AVForums is disgusting, the staff there gave out my address and contact details to another member in which several threats followed, all because I was advertising a Gameboy Advance for cheaper! Pathetic website ran by a complete moron.

Guest Frankish

Oh dear. As I have no idea when the OMC will be unlockable its a no go for me for now. Gutted.

Just picked up a HD2 on ebay for 142 delivered though... It will do for now!

Guest dibbles

Looking at the HD2 and it does seem to be a good buy. I have read the following on a website...

Since its launch, consumers have complained about the poor call quality of the HTC HD2 emanating from the ear piece. Complaints range from pops and hissing to static. This is prevalent of the stock phone with updates lacking a fix for this problem. As such, the problem persists. The issue is likely the radio software and not the hardware of the handset.

Another issue is the constant battery drain, with users reporting a duration of 8 - 20 hours of light to moderate use. This is due to the large screen and high processing speeds that the processor demands for quick execution of programs. Communication modes such as Wi-Fi, 3G and GPS stress the battery even further. Custom ROMs have been cooked by XDA-Developers, with varying results

...How valid are the two above points regarding the battery and poor call quality...?

Otherwise it does seem to be head and shoulders above the OMC, albeit costing more.

Guest taospirit

hi, i've got an HD2 for about 1 year and no pbs i'm very happy of this phone, i just install android MIUI build and it's very good. About the battery drain, under WM6.5 and with the screen light to 30% and no much use ( just some sms/mms and some calls) I can stay 2 or 3 days without charging it, i think it's very good. Under android SD build, not much than 1or 2 days. The calling sound seems not so bad for me (maybe as they said because of the radio version).

So i'm very happy of this phone, for a time i did think to change for a HTC sensation but with the ability to install different OS, specially Android version (MIUI, Sense3...) i don't think i will change it soon. May be for a Samsung galaxy S2 but not sure. i love my HD2 :D.

ps: What is a "OMC"?

Edited by taospirit