Help With My ROM Development

Guest Sami Beck

Guest Sami Beck

Hi Modaco, I'm currently in the process of making a new 2.3.4 ROM based off the leak called CAE (Complete Android Experience) I've added new features and changed the UI but now since the ROM will be heavily community orientated so I'm after your input, Which apps would you like to see included? Do you favour looks/performance? and generally who's interested in using this?

Many Thanks!

Guest Maxsas360

The apps included should be pretty basic. I request Google Apps and apps on GSF. I prefer performance. If the rom will be worth using I'll use it

Guest Blues003

I'm interested on it, as long as it's better than GSF and CM7. Specially when it comes to bugs.

I request no apps in particular, aside from SuperUser. Perhaps there could be a kitchen for the apps some users asked, but are not used by everyone? (i.e. Several Launchers, Titanium Backup, Benchmarking apps, Terminal Emulator, Different SMS Keyboards, Different Dialer and SMS apps, WidgetLocker)

I'd love to have the option to toggle stuff in the status bar; perhaps it could be a kitchen-option as well.

I'm more onto performance than onto looks, specially considering I can edit the looks myself later. And considering this is supposed to be a big community effort, perhaps there could even be a topic dedicated to theming on this particular ROM?

Hope your work turns out great!

Guest Mushroom_Lord

I very much like a ROM to be aesthetically pleasing! But if you call it the "Complete ANDROID Experience" I suppose in terms of looks it may be hard stretching beyond that box. However this ROM could be interesting...

Guest unrandomsam

I don't care at all about looks.

Only bothered about performance. (And that stuff works properly).

Stuff like the supposed sdcard speed fix is not actually a fix (at least with the cards I have universally slower).

No adware in the rom is important also.

Guest unrandomsam

could you not contribute to CM7 rather than just another gingerleak theme? reinventing the wheel and all that.....

Latest version of gsf is a total mess.

and

Burstlam's last version is worse than before it (removing the optimize script from init.d fixes it up).

There is good reason to not use CM7 still (GPS reboot / Bloated / wifi sleep).

(Maybe skate amss.mbn can help with the reboot and the new kernel source with the last).

Don't think its all that easy to contribute to CM7 (The author / maintainer of mksh said it was easier to get mksh merged into honeycomb (as /system/bin/sh than into Cyanogenmod).

Guest rockstarszzzz

Sami,

1)Cool/sexy looks

2)Overclockable if possible

3)Least bugs combo of CM7/GSF - I know it can't be bugless, but should do basic bits.

I think since you've made this post, it's already including all these three.

However, before you add any app, could you just leave a copy of ROM as it is ...i.e. as stock as possible?

Then add whatever you feel at your heart's content! That way you could release 2 versions - stock and loaded but only develop one which gets max downloads?

My 2 pence :)

Guest Sami Beck

Cheers guys :) didn't think I'd get this many responses and there all going to be taken into consideration! As to people say Im reinventing the wheel, Im making the wheel even better :P but thanks everyone!

Guest sej7278

Cheers guys :) didn't think I'd get this many responses and there all going to be taken into consideration! As to people say Im reinventing the wheel, Im making the wheel even better :P but thanks everyone!

no offence mate, but really you're taking a leaked rom and adding/removing/theming some stuff. its not something that has much of a lifespan at this late stage.

any development at the moment should be focused on preparing for 2.6.35 to be merged into cm7 when zte release the source within 2 weeks, or even just going through the issues tracker and seeing if there's something you can fix.

wbaw has already said that there's not much point in continuing with his skate rebasing for blade as it will need buggy code from GSF and some bits from CM7 merged in to work, such is the problem with working with leaks instead of sourcecode.

if you play with leaks you're not contributing anything at the end of the day.

don't take any of this the wrong way, i can see it sounds a bit confrontational, but i'm trying to stop you wasting your effort which could be better used elsewhere.