'Odex Me' application

Guest PaulOBrien

OdexMe is an application i've written for my Galaxy S II MCR ROM, but that should work on any ROM with init.d support and busybox in /system/xbin.

Basically, it's an APK you push to /system/app and when you run it, it...

• Reboots your device
  • Odexes everything in /system/app
  • Deletes the dalvik cache and it's own APK (as you only need to run it once)
  • Reboots the device and rebuilds the dalvik-cache

As you may or may not know, the dex files for the system applications take a fair old chunk of space on data - this gets around that.

Of course, odexed /system/data means you can't make any /system/framework changes, but how often do you need to do that? If you DO need to, you can reflash your ROM, do the changes, then run OdexMe again.

As I say, this is written for and tested on MCR, so if you try it, backup first and use at your own risk.

You can check it's worked by looking at /system/app after reboot, it should have a bunch of odex files, plus /data/dalvik-cache will have shrunk lots.

You can grab it in this post and one last thing - the initial reboot and odex takes a while, so be patient. :)

ROM devs - feel free to include this if you like it in your ROMs, but please let me know (and give me credit) so I can contact you when a new update comes out (i'm working on the next release with a few other tweaks).

Enjoy! :)

P

Guest phunni

I'm currently running it on the latest miui for N1. All the .odex files seem to have been created, but it just seems to run again on reboot. Or am I just not being patient enough? It's definitely rebooted at least once during the process - which I had hoped meant it was done. Should I wait longer or is it just not working properly?

Guest Christian Engen
As you may or may not know, the dex files for the system applications take a fair old chunk of space on data - this gets around that.

How much space are we talking about? Is this why my CWM backups are over 3Gb suddenly?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest vladnosferatu

paul, is possible to odex the /system/framework/*.jar ?

because with a app dexopt-wrapper if we only do the system/app ite fails , right ?

but if we odex the jars, we have a lot of FC

• 1 year later...
Guest desalesouche

going to try it...will feed back...is there any update of this?

i think it is very usefull ... edit: i tried on 2 differents rom deodexed and both stuck on reboot(tested on huawei u8230/ cm6 and cm7)

Edited by desalesouche

• 4 weeks later...
Guest illingd

I'm running CM7 on my HTC Legend (there being no Gingerbread MCR for said device!) --

Will odexme work on this configuration?

Would it benefit me (by getting me more free space in the internal memory)?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest razzmataz1478
I'm running CM7 on my HTC Legend (there being no Gingerbread MCR for said device!) --

Will odexme work on this configuration?

Would it benefit me (by getting me more free space in the internal memory)?

It could work, just back up first :)

Guest desalesouche

hi all...as paul o brian is not answering , i think he has a lot of to do...i found an alternative to reodex my rom... http://www.mediafire.com/?105wnp8saysklyw put it on sd...enter cwm mode just launch odex cwm let it make his work....and once this is finish don't forget to wipe dalvik cache ( i do it twice) and reboot so system/app and system/framework are reodexed ....it has been working for me on huawei u8230 and also samsung galaxy y with gingerbread....i know there are other zip like that who add another reodex feature: data /app odexed too......it is in samsung galaxy y tread on xda with androbot tweak...good day to all..

Edited by desalesouche

• 1 month later...