Upgrading from a ZTE Blade to a Optimus 2X.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi there, I'm an experienced ZTE Blade user running Cyanogen (Currently N165). I'm gonna give my girlfriend my Blade so she can replace her NOKIA 5800. So I'm thinking about the Optimus 2X because it has Cyanogen support. But after looking at many video reviews, and reading many written reviews. I have been wondering, do custom ROM's such as Cyanogen, and Paul's ROM, make full use of the hardware? In particular, in the video reviews the stock ROM's camera app, has the ability to record 1080P.

By all accounts the stock ROM isn't great, but do you lose any functionality if I go the Cyanogen route? I really like Cyanogen, so I'm only looking at handsets that have Cyanogen support and a big screen, 4 inches would be great.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice or user experiences with the Optimus and Cyanogen.

Many thanks. Anil.

Guest droweed

Hi there, I'm an experienced ZTE Blade user running Cyanogen (Currently N165). I'm gonna give my girlfriend my Blade so she can replace her NOKIA 5800. So I'm thinking about the Optimus 2X because it has Cyanogen support. But after looking at many video reviews, and reading many written reviews. I have been wondering, do custom ROM's such as Cyanogen, and Paul's ROM, make full use of the hardware? In particular, in the video reviews the stock ROM's camera app, has the ability to record 1080P.

By all accounts the stock ROM isn't great, but do you lose any functionality if I go the Cyanogen route? I really like Cyanogen, so I'm only looking at handsets that have Cyanogen support and a big screen, 4 inches would be great.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice or user experiences with the Optimus and Cyanogen.

Many thanks. Anil.

your just like me, I used to be a blade user too :), here are the current status of CM on O2X:

* A2DP is broken --> nvidia has to release code to this one

* FM Radio --> No sound yet

other than that, everything else works.

added functionality not available on stock

* USB OTG

* Voodoo sound support

* 1080p recording works just as stock, for a detailed list on working features and stuff, refer to this threads OP

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1173229

* has MIUI if your interested in that

* like to OC at 1.4ghz(some kernels max at 1.5, but they say its quite unstable)

Guest Anil k Solanki

your just like me, I used to be a blade user too :), here are the current status of CM on O2X:

* A2DP is broken --> nvidia has to release code to this one

* FM Radio --> No sound yet

other than that, everything else works.

added functionality not available on stock

* USB OTG

* Voodoo sound support

* 1080p recording works just as stock, for a detailed list on working features and stuff, refer to this threads OP

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1173229

* has MIUI if your interested in that

* like to OC at 1.4ghz(some kernels max at 1.5, but they say its quite unstable)

Hi droweed, many thanks for your reply. From your response it seems CM7 works great on the O2X, which build are you running?

Another reason I posted the question was to see how responsive the O2X forum was, compared to the Blade forum it's very quiet. I will try the same question at XDA and see if the responses are more forth coming. As you know the reason the Blade is so popular, is because of the forum being so active.

Currently I am going back and forth trying to decide which handset to get, HTC Sensation, O2X, Samsung Galaxy 2, Orange Monte Carlo. But it seems I am gravitating slowly towards the O2X. I have read of some Black Screen Of death issues, and some overheating issues, but nothing that isn't a deal breaker.

Again thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Anil.

Guest Rusty!

Long time CM powered O2X user here :)

It works very well, barring A2DP and FM radio at the moment. Both these rely on a HAL being released by nVidia, and they're taking their sweet time.

Guest everett_psycho

I have to say that if this phone is as good with these roms as people are making out I'm very tempted by one. Been debating it for ages and would like a phone that has some included storage and dual core would be nice, I think I'd be stupid to pass on the 2x when it has all I want and can be got for £275, I'm coming from an aged HTC hero so I think the speed boost would be enough to make me happier

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest Anil k Solanki

Long time CM powered O2X user here :)

It works very well, barring A2DP and FM radio at the moment. Both these rely on a HAL being released by nVidia, and they're taking their sweet time.

Hi Rusty, thanks for your reply. I know what A2SD is, but what is A2DP? I don't use the radio on my Blade so no loss there. I have read the threads regarding audio through the Ntegra chip, amazing to think Nvidia is dragging its heels.

It's reassuring to hear from knowledgeable users, reassuring they're using the O2X. I can get a BNIB unit form eBay for £250

Hopefully it will be a pretty transparent move from the Blade to the O2X because the ROM is the same(ish).

Many thanks. Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

I have to say that if this phone is as good with these roms as people are making out I'm very tempted by one. Been debating it for ages and would like a phone that has some included storage and dual core would be nice, I think I'd be stupid to pass on the 2x when it has all I want and can be got for £275, I'm coming from an aged HTC hero so I think the speed boost would be enough to make me happier

Hi everett_psycho, to be honest my Blade OC'd to 787Mhz is plenty quick for me, more so after I installed Launcher Pro. I have an Ext3 partition on my SD card so I have plenty of room left on the phone. A bigger screen would be a nice upgrade for me, and the stupid fast dual-core CPU won't go unnoticed I'm sure. I'm planning on getting one soon so I will report back with my experiences ASAP.

Anil.

Guest everett_psycho

Hi Rusty, thanks for your reply. I know what A2SD is, but what is A2DP? I don't use the radio on my Blade so no loss there. I have read the threads regarding audio through the Ntegra chip, amazing to think Nvidia is dragging it's heels.

It's reassuring to hear from knowledgeable users, reassuring they're using the O2X. I can get a BNIB unit form eBay for £250

Hopefully it will be a pretty transparent move from the Blade to the O2X because the ROM is the same(ish).

Many thanks. Anil.

have you tried expansys? I trust them a bit more than ebay and they are selling it on sale for £270 delivered but you can always use quidco to get 5% of that back. With a few site reviewers receiving slightly dodgy handsets i like having the option of knowing the seller will take it back if it's broken, personally I'd pay the little extra for that safety and i'm currently hovering over the buy button

Guest kruppin

On thing stock has, that cyanogen doesn't, is mkv 720p support. It works pretty well, and though some high profile CAN shutter it aint that usual, atleast not for me. Anyway, it's only if you use it on tv much it's useful (or don't want to reencode DL'ed movies/series) on the screen you don't see much difference. Another thing on on CM is that under phonecalls the mic picks up the background noice as much as your voice and can sometime cause feedback. So if your in loud enviroments I would run stock instead. And also stock, atleast the latest ones, are more stable. Never had a reboot or something like that on the lastest version.

A2DP is music through bluetooth, easily put. :P Hope it helps.

Guest le_lutin

I'm also in an "about to buy" situation with regard to the 2x. I am coming from an HTC Desire, which I have to say, I love. I just wish it had a better camera and also a front facing camera (for video calls). For these reasons, I'm thinking of going for the 2x (probably the cheapest high-spec phone there is).

Anyone coming from Desire? Is it worth the switch?

I'm also a massive fan of MIUI - it certainly has prolonged the life of my HTC Desire. I think there's a stable version of MIUI for the 2x. Anyone any experience? Any limitations?

Anil, do you have a link to the 250 quid ebay seller?

Edited by le_lutin

Guest everett_psycho

Oops, i may have slipped and pressed buy, and entered all my credit card details rolleyes.gif

Thank you for using eXpansys.

Your order reference is . You will need this in all correspondence.

This information has been emailed to .

You will receive another email confirming the order has been dispatched.

Guest Anil k Solanki

have you tried expansys? I trust them a bit more than ebay and they are selling it on sale for £270 delivered but you can always use quidco to get 5% of that back. With a few site reviewers receiving slightly dodgy handsets i like having the option of knowing the seller will take it back if it's broken, personally I'd pay the little extra for that safety and i'm currently hovering over the buy button

Hi everett_psycho, I would much prefer to buy the handset from a bricks and mortar retailer like expansys. I have just checked and they do indeed have them for £269.99 and they also accept PayPal, excellent. Damn shame expansys.it want £330 here in Italy, but no matter my chick works in the UK. I will order it tomorrow once I have topped up my PayPal account.

I can stop watching eBay now, what a relief. Many thanks. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Oops, i may have slipped and pressed buy, and entered all my credit card details rolleyes.gif

Blew your load early? LMAO. Nice one. I will get it ordered tomorrow. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Anil, do you have a link to the 250 quid ebay seller?

The £250 eBay unit was sold this afternoon, but there are quite a few BNIB units on eBay. I'm going to pay a bit more and get it from expansys UK. But if you're so inclined do a search for "LG Optimus 2X" and then filter on the left to only Phone W/O contract. there will be at least 80 units, around 40+ brand new.

Have fun. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

A2DP is music through bluetooth, easily put. :P Hope it helps.

Music through Bluetooth. The mere thought makes my toes curl. :) I won't be needing that feature, or radio. My trusty iPod will serve all my music needs.

Many thanks for the reply. Anil.

Guest everett_psycho

Blew your load early? LMAO. Nice one. I will get it ordered tomorrow. Anil.

lol i certainly did, I put it through as next day delivery and they didn't accept my credit card number so now it's too late to arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed for saturday though. Not meaning to rush you but it mentions something on the expansys page about a sale ending tomorrow so it may go back up in price by saturday. for now it's still a bargain, i know the S2 is a better handset but i don't think it's almost twice the phone the LG will be as the price would suggest.

My trusty iPod will serve all my music needs.

Hi! If so, CM 7.1 will be the best choice for 2x, its realy fast and smooth. For me a2dp is very important feature, but any way I'am using CM7.1 from time to time :)

Guest Anil k Solanki

lol i certainly did, I put it through as next day delivery and they didn't accept my credit card number so now it's too late to arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed for saturday though. Not meaning to rush you but it mentions something on the expansys page about a sale ending tomorrow so it may go back up in price by saturday. for now it's still a bargain, i know the S2 is a better handset but i don't think it's almost twice the phone the LG will be as the price would suggest.

Dude, I will be at the bank at 8.15am! Back home and will get it ordered by 9am, so that's 8am in the UK. The S2 is very nice, but, I just bought my chick an ASUS Transformer tablet for £309! Yes a kick-ass android 3.2 tablet for just over £300. She loves it! And it just makes a mockery of some handset prices. I am very happy to pay £270, serious hardware, with no contract. Awesome, so thanks to you again.

I only got into ANDROID in March, and already my chick will have two Blade's (One with a UK SIM, one with an Italian SIM), a 10 inch tablet, and I will have (hopefully), a dual-core LG, sweet!

Über excited now. I hope your phone comes on Saturday. Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi! If so, CM 7.1 will be the best choice for 2x, its realy fast and smooth. For me a2dp is very important feature, but any way I'am using CM7.1 from time to time :)

Hi wfd, thanks for the thumbs up. Genuinely sorry to hear A2DP is something you need. When you're not affected by a missing feature all is hunky-dory. But when you need it like yourself, it is mega pants.

I will only be buying the O2X because it has CM7 support. The first time I've ever bought a handset because of the OS. The times really are a changing. Anil.

Guest everett_psycho

Similar sentiments here, we only have a vega but it gets used online a lot more than my phone, I want to get on to froyo so I can tether from my phone to it when on the move. Trouble is the vega got dropped at the weekend so looking in to getting a better tablet now I know i'll use it a lot, hopefully the o2x can fill the void for a month or 3 until some decent lower priced models start appearing

Guest Anil k Solanki

where is the best price in europe i can buy this phone?thanks...im from greece..

Hi, the best price in Europe is here. It is on sale and the sale ends today at 12pm GMT.

Anil.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Similar sentiments here, we only have a vega but it gets used online a lot more than my phone, I want to get on to froyo so I can tether from my phone to it when on the move. Trouble is the vega got dropped at the weekend so looking in to getting a better tablet now I know i'll use it a lot, hopefully the o2x can fill the void for a month or 3 until some decent lower priced models start appearing

We're now a 4 ANDROID device family. :D I went to the bank this morning and it was shut for the August holidays! No problem, I just got my chick to buy it directly in the UK. She flies back on Sunday, so I doubt it will arrive in time. Again many thanks for the eXpansys tip.

All I need to do while I'm waiting is work out how to root the device. My previous two Blades I bought pre-rooted from eBay. I have flashed lots of ROM's, but I've never actually rooted a device.

Anil.