Upgrading from a ZTE Blade to a Optimus 2X.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Guest everett_psycho

Good point about warranty dude. I suppose if it is bricked then you should be covered. Good point none-the-less. Also many thanks to you for the eXpansys tip. Thanks.

Radio? Never touch the stuff myself. Hopefully the Cyanogenmod team will add it some point. Because, even though it's only been a few hours, N127 feels very smooth & hicupp free. Theres even an option to light up the buttons when you have a new email or text message. That makes up for the lack of a notification light. I thought only Apple designed portable devices without a notification light. Simply silly.

Anil.

just gave CM a whirl and now i've seen what this phone can do i'm more glad i got it, didn't notice just how bad the stock rom was until i tried another one. I'm waiting for pauls FR19 to download at the moment to give it a shot, it's taking forever on our slow internet though, looking forward to the speedy performance boost though

Guest Anil K Solanki

looking forward to the speedy performance boost though

Hi everett_psycho, performance boost? My handset runs like s*** off a stick on Cyanogenmod. Google maps is an utter joy. Would like to hear if Paul's ROM is better for you. I will be sticking with Cyanogen, it does everything I want and more.

Anil.

PS. I went out in the Italian sun today, and guess what? I could see the display! The Blade, was only visible in darker shade. £260, is a bargain, no two ways about it.

Guest everett_psycho

Hi everett_psycho, performance boost? My handset runs like s*** off a stick on Cyanogenmod. Google maps is an utter joy. Would like to hear if Paul's ROM is better for you. I will be sticking with Cyanogen, it does everything I want and more.

Anil.

PS. I went out in the Italian sun today, and guess what? I could see the display! The Blade, was only visible in darker shade. £260, is a bargain, no two ways about it.

i meant over stock rom, i havent worked out about installing the google apps on CM yet so was going to give pauls a shot first, if CM is better i'll let you know and work out bout google apps later.

Lucky sod, i've just been out walking the dog in the british rain, at least we won the rugby

edit: Pauls rom is good, not sure it's as fast as CM7 but i like the stock appearance, i just hate the performance it brings and pauls has addressed that so i'll stick this out for a week at least and see how i go

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest Anil K Solanki

Lucky sod, i've just been out walking the dog in the british rain, at least we won the rugby

:)

edit: Pauls rom is good, not sure it's as fast as CM7 but i like the stock appearance, i just hate the performance it brings and pauls has addressed that so i'll stick this out for a week at least and see how i go

One of the reasons I really like about Cyanogen is the fact it feels like stock Gingerbread, with lots of excellent and thoughtful tweaks. At the very least, compared to the Blade it's nice have some sort of visual notification.

cool_30b5.jpg

Excellent design at work.

Anil.

With all this cyanogen mod this cyanogen mod that I decided to test it. All I can say is that its brilliant. Superb!

my only problem is the gps at the moment. On stock rom it needed like 10-20 seconds to get a fix. Now I need at least 5 to 10 minutes. With the same gps.conf file. Its like cyanogen mod won't look at agps data or something like that. Even when I have a lock it losses it on the go very often. I'm using 127 nightly 725bb with a matching rill and I live in greece.

Edited by orlox

Guest Anil K Solanki

With all this cyanogen mod this cyanogen mod that I decided to test it. All I can say is that its brilliant. Superb!

my only problem is the gps at the moment. On stock rom it needed like 10-20 seconds to get a fix. Now I need at least 5 to 10 minutes. With the same gps.conf file. Its like cyanogen mod won't look at agps data or something like that. Even when I have a lock it losses it on the go very often. I'm using 725bb with a matching rill and I live in greece.

Hi Orlox, are you using a different GPS config file to the stock Cyanogenmod file? Also, does it take a long time to get a fix outside? ANDROID uses tricks to get your position quickly, especially when you don't have a clear view of the sky. One of those tricks uses your Wi-Fi network location to get you a quick location fix. Have you got the use Wi-Fi under Settings>Location & Security> My Location ---- Use Wireless networks checkbox ticked?. Also you need the correct APN for your cellular provider because it's my understanding that A-GPS uses this info.

True GPS doesn't work without a clear view of the satellites. But thanks to some clever programming and tricks, we think it works inside a house.

Anil.

Edited by Anil K Solanki

The gps.conf file doesn't do anything other than supply the NTP server on the O2X, glgps uses gps_bcrm_conf.xml

Put the original CM gps.conf back, GPS should be awesome, it is on mine.

can't remember what I've done exactly but I had the same teribly poor gps perfs and now it locks in under 5 secs with good a-gps info in CM7.

My 2 cents:

- Get a proper gps.config file from another rom (pointing towards servers in greece or nearby)

- Enable Wireless assistance for positioning

- Do the APN trick (described in the main threads)

On some ROMs I can't get in to work regardless how hard I try, Cyanogen should work, it works for me now...

Sorry for being vague....

Guest Anil K Solanki

i havent worked out about installing the google apps on CM yet so was going to give pauls a shot first, if CM is better i'll let you know and work out bout google apps later.

Hi everett_psycho, I'm sorry I forgot to mention about how to get Google apps. It's really easy. The easiest way is to upgrade to ROM Manager Premium (it costs about the price of a beer), the Premium version allows you to download Cyanogenmod ROM's direct to your Phone, it also allows you to do the same with Google apps, either manually or whenever you flash a ROM.

The slightly more long winded way is to download the Google apps .zip file and flash the file in recovery, just as you would manually flash a ROM. Simply put the .zip file on your SD card.

Googe apps link.

Have fun. Anil.

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil K Solanki

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I used Google maps while on the way to my sister in laws house, 50 kms from my house. I got a GPS lock in less than 2 seconds. I find that simply amazing. My TomTom takes at least 20 seconds. The O2X got a lock in a moving car in 2.

My apologies for my hubris, but I already love the O2X Cyanogen combo, truly a great fit. This just adds a huge cherry on top of the cake.

Anil.

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi, just a quick message to all the folks that responded to my original question. It's been two weeks that I've been using my Optimus X2 running Cyanogenmod. A superb combination, of hardware & software. GPS locks in around 2 seconds, a large screen with great colours. A seriously fast CPU, great Wi-Fi & 3G speeds.

All for the princely sum of £270 delivered from eXpansys. I love an eBay bargain,but you can't beat a warranty from a bricks & mortar retailer. My sincere thanks to all that took the time to help me make the right decision.

Have fun. Anil

• 3 weeks later...
Guest carlosge

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your research on this topic, I will be following you trail upgrading from ZTE blade CM7 to LG Optimus 2x again with CM7. Someone recently picked up my blade and broke the battery cover and destroyed the power button in order to steal a 4GB micro SD (worth £6). So I was 'forced' to either go back to buy another blade or to upgrade, so I thought I might go all the way to somewhere new.

I do not use neither the radio nor do I use Bluetooth so I hope to have as a good experience as the one you have been reporting.

I just bought my device from simplyelectronics at £250 (in case anyone might be interested here is the link http://www.simplyele...setcurrency=gbp) and I am waiting for it to arrive.

In case I get stuck flashing CM7, I might be posting here for help but based on your experience it seems like a pretty straight forward procedure

Cheers again for taking the time to document your steps. There were indeed useful for me.

Carlos

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your research on this topic, I will be following you trail upgrading from ZTE blade CM7 to LG Optimus 2x again with CM7. Someone recently picked up my blade and broke the battery cover and destroyed the power button in order to steal a 4GB micro SD (worth £6). So I was 'forced' to either go back to buy another blade or to upgrade, so I thought I might go all the way to somewhere new.

I do not use neither the radio nor do I use Bluetooth so I hope to have as a good experience as the one you have been reporting.

I just bought my device from simplyelectronics at £250 (in case anyone might be interested here is the link http://www.simplyele...setcurrency=gbp) and I am waiting for it to arrive.

In case I get stuck flashing CM7, I might be posting here for help but based on your experience it seems like a pretty straight forward procedure

Cheers again for taking the time to document your steps. There were indeed useful for me.

Carlos

Hi Carlos, sorry to hear that an ass-hole wrecked your Blade. A few days ago CyanogenMod released an official release 7.1, I'm currently using nightly 167, and I am very happy to report it runs beautifully. Infact I've never had an issue with any of the nightlies. FYI, Bluetooth has always worked, what hasn't worked was sending audio (music) via Bluetooth. But, this now works.

I only used the stock ROM for about 10 mins before I rooted my phone with

which was very simple. From thereon in you can do the Flashing with ROM Manager. Once running CyanogenMod, the handset is excellent. I loved my Blade, a really great introduction to ANDROID. But the O2X is a much nicer handset. No more clicky buttons, instead you get wonderful back lit touch sensitive buttons.

Finally, I forgot that I was subscribed to this thread, I will remain subscribed. If you need any assistance post a message here and I will endeavor to assist you. You got your handset for a great price. Hopefully your enjoyment will be as great.

Have fun. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest everett_psycho

Hey anil, i dont suppose they got the radio working as well? I'm tempted to make the switch, Pauls fr19 is good but I've got a craving for the extra speed. Which baseband are you running with it

Finally is there a way to make the cm home screen have the 4 icons at the bottom like the LG/Samsung/iphone one does? It'd really handy to have

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hey anil, i dont suppose they got the radio working as well? I'm tempted to make the switch, Pauls fr19 is good but I've got a craving for the extra speed. Which baseband are you running with it

Finally is there a way to make the cm home screen have the 4 icons at the bottom like the LG/Samsung/iphone one does? It'd really handy to have

Hi everett_psycho, unfortunately the radio doesn't work. This is because the radio uses the NVIDIA Tegra chip, and NVIDIA haven't made the source code public. Without which any ROM Dev will not be able to make the radio work. Sorry.

As for the home screen question I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I only used the stock ROM for 10 minutes before I dumped it. I have attached a screen shot of my home screen. Perhaps you could provide me some info as to what you want to achieve?

homescreen_4fe0.gifcurrentbaseband_4303.gif

As you can see from the second screen shot, my current Baseband is 0725. I'm also using Launcher Pro, which is the fastest home launcher by a big margin, this also allows for multiple docks (the 5 icons) at the the foot of the home screen. FYI, the 4th icon is for Gmail, It's my own icon one that I created myself. To match my desktop machines Gmail icon.

gmailicon_f791.png

Anil.

Guest everett_psycho

That's near enough, on the LG software it has calls contacts texts and the app draw bit the option for a 5th would be useful. may have to flash later tonight i don't had the radio as much as i thought i would and they've unlocked the flash videos at work

Guest Anil K Solanki

That's near enough, on the LG software it has calls contacts texts and the app draw bit the option for a 5th would be useful. may have to flash later tonight i don't had the radio as much as i thought i would and they've unlocked the flash videos at work

Glad I could help. I haven't used Paul's ROM, but I'm not sure if CyanogenMod is any faster or slower. Either way everything runs like s**t off a stick. The 2 second GPS lock, still blows me away. It makes the idea of "damn, I'm lost, I'll just whip out my O2X and find out where I am." feasible, because it only takes seconds to find out where I am. Not sure if that's the case with all ROM's, or if it's the magic of the £269.99 O2X? :)

Have fun. Anil

Guest everett_psycho

Its definitely faster, i just tried it but have gone back to Pauls for now, only because i haven't got time tonight to work out how to backup from Pauls and restore to cm afterwards. Once overworked that out i think I'll do the move permanently Edit: scrap that, launcher pro has fixed my slightly sluggish performance, i don't know why i didn't install it sooner, this way i can keep the widgets apps and settings and full functions of the handset, thanks for the help though

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest carlosge

Hi Anil,

Again thank you for such a generous reply and offer. I will have to wait some days still to have the O2x in my hands. But will report back once is here

In other matters, I found it interesting to see your home screen. I am perhaps more old school and I always try to have the home screen clear with only one picture.

Carlos

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi Anil,

Again thank you for such a generous reply and offer. I will have to wait some days still to have the O2x in my hands. But will report back once is here

In other matters, I found it interesting to see your home screen. I am perhaps more old school and I always try to have the home screen clear with only one picture.

Carlos

Hi Carlos, unfortunately I didn't understand your comment about having one picture on my home screen. Would you mind explaining what you meant? Thanks. Anil

Guest Anil K Solanki

Its definitely faster, i just tried it but have gone back to Pauls for now, only because i haven't got time tonight to work out how to backup from Pauls and restore to cm afterwards. Once overworked that out i think I'll do the move permanently Edit: scrap that, launcher pro has fixed my slightly sluggish performance, i don't know why i didn't install it sooner, this way i can keep the widgets apps and settings and full functions of the handset, thanks for the help though

Cool. Launcher Pro saves the day. Have fun. Anil

Guest carlosge

Hi Carlos, unfortunately I didn't understand your comment about having one picture on my home screen. Would you mind explaining what you meant? Thanks. Anil

Hi Anil,

Sorry for not being clear before. What I meat was that I have no icons on my main home-screen, only one background pic and the main five icons from LauncherPro.

But then again my comment has nothing to do with the topic at hand i.e. O2x. Sorry for the digression

Carlos

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi Anil,

Sorry for not being clear before. What I meat was that I have no icons on my main home-screen, only one background pic and the main five icons from LauncherPro.

But then again my comment has nothing to do with the topic at hand i.e. O2x. Sorry for the digression

Carlos

Hi Carlos, no apologies necessary.

WOW! I know everyone sets up their handsets differently, but your stripped to the bone Bauhaus home screen, is, truly living with just what you need. I bet you have a really tidy desktop on your desktop computer, assuming you have a desktop computer from your comment about being old school. Surely you must use more than the 4 apps in the dock?

If it works for you then great. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest carlosge

Hi Carlos, no apologies necessary.

WOW! I know everyone sets up their handsets differently, but your stripped to the bone Bauhaus home screen, is, truly living with just what you need. I bet you have a really tidy desktop on your desktop computer, assuming you have a desktop computer from your comment about being old school. Surely you must use more than the 4 apps in the dock?

If it works for you then great. Anil

Haa, haa

You caught me! I have a folder for everything. My motto, there is no need for an non-filed file.