Black screen when calling

Guest Christian Edwards

Guest Christian Edwards

I'm having trouble making calls on my Skate, I think its the proximity switch.

When I make a call the screen goes black straight away like it does when you put the phone to your ear.

But if I need to hang-up or send it to speaker or type in a number the screen doesn't light up to let me do it.

I hope this isn't a hardware issue as we don't yet have a stock ROM to put it back to before trying to return it under warranty.

Any advice?

Guest tillaz

i have exactly the same problem... i dial a number and phone vibrates an goes into sleep and cant wake it until they hang up.

would be interesting to hear if any other people are experiencing this problem (hopefully just a software bug).

EDIT: this happens randomly for me some times it dose not happen and proximity censer works fine.

done a fyew tests just ringing 4444 or 1234 but most of the time it dose happen.

Edited by tillaz

Guest Christian Edwards

Mine is definitely intermittent too, I keep wiping and re-install freshly cooked ROMs from the Modaco Kitchen but it's still there, just not every time.

The Proximity Finder App says it's there and work too thanks.

Guest tillaz

don't know wot i have done but after messing round in the sound & call settings turning things on and off and changing my task killer from advanced task killer to taskkiller free the problem has gone lol.

Guest Pelemane

don't know wot i have done but after messing round in the sound & call settings turning things on and off and changing my task killer from advanced task killer to taskkiller free the problem has gone lol.

Taskkillers are poop, just uninstall them. Seriously.

Guest tillaz

Can someone confirm this occurs on a non rooted/clockwork modded phone please.

i really cant say i noticed befor root are you also having the same problem ?

Guest gitf@ce

i really cant say i noticed befor root are you also having the same problem ?

Yes, and I have a really bad case of it! I dialled 453 to use my topup card and it was almost impossible to achieve. The screen started flashing on and off really fast as I was trying to type in the 19 digit code... it was almost farcical! What should have been a couple of minutes call took half an hour. At one point the phone jammed up and I had to pull the battery, as no amount of button pressing was doing anything.

We need someone with a brand new (virgin) Skate to confirm whether this occurs. If it does heavens knows Orange is going to be reeling, especially if the Skate is flying off the shelves like some have indicated.

Guest Jeff 66
The screen started flashing on and off really fast as I was trying to type in the 19 digit code...

That's not the problem I've been having. The screen goes completely black, it's not possible to press any buttons because they're all disabled. Mine is using the stock rom, the phone isn't rooted.

It is intermittent though, so cancelling the call and trying again usually works.

A tip for people who have this problem and have had to remove the battery to end a call:

Go into settings, Accessibility, and tick the "Power button ends call" box. Then the button on the side of the phone will end a call.

Guest tilal6991

To everyone who is having this issue:

This is software related - not hardware. I can confirm this because people using GingerStirFry - a ROM based on the leaked version of the OMC ROM for the ZTE Blade are having the same issue. So this is definitely a software fault. I will try and rectify this by carrying out more investigation and see if it can be fixed.

Guest Christian Edwards

A tip for people who have this problem and have had to remove the battery to end a call:

Go into settings, Accessibility, and tick the "Power button ends call" box. Then the button on the side of the phone will end a call.

Thanks that will help a lot, saves taking the battery out, and I'll look forward to the fix in Blue Ginger V2.

Guest tillaz

And I seem to have found a solution - I'm just checking if it works :) - it'll be included in the next version of BlueGinger.

thanks looking forward to it .

Guest gitf@ce

Looks like we need to send our phones back! Try Elixr app from the market (as per Tilal's suggestion), start proximity sensor test and see what happens. Mine goes from 4.0cm to far without any interaction with the sensor. Therefore it must be knackered!

Fixed... see tilal's fix further down.

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest gitf@ce

Here's a temp fix. Download Screebl from the market and set the screen to stay on during a call. Works for me.

Scrub that, mines going mad again!

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest tilal6991
Here's a temp fix. Download Screebl from the market and set the screen to stay on during a call. Works for me.

Scrub that, mines going mad again!

Try this - type this into dialer - *983*0#. Go to sensors and while not covering the sensor click calibrate.

Guest gitf@ce

Try this - type this into dialer - *983*0#. Go to sensors and while not covering the sensor click calibrate.

Fkn hell you've fixed it! I got a few fails even though it reported "calibrated", went to test it.... IT WORKS!

Maximum kudos to you for your help on this one tilal6991.

Guest tilal6991

Fkn hell you've fixed it! I got a few fails even though it reported "calibrated", went to test it.... IT WORKS!

Maximum kudos to you for your help on this one tilal6991.

That's great. Yeah I did think it would be highly unlikely that so many people had hardware failure of the proximity sensor. Guess I was right. :)

Guest gitf@ce

That's great. Yeah I did think it would be highly unlikely that so many people had hardware failure of the proximity sensor. Guess I was right. :)

I keep `testing' just to make sure I'm not seeing things... sad :P

Guest tillaz

thanks for this its greatly appreciated,

any chance you no how to enable wifi to see ad-hoc ? huh.gif

Guest tilal6991

thanks for this its greatly appreciated,

any chance you no how to enable wifi to see ad-hoc ?

Right I did a lot of research on this when I was devving for my previous device. I have a few ideas but I need access to a computer which I won't have until Friday at the earliest. By the end of the weekend hopefully we should have ad-hoc wifi. :)