SOLVED! Erratic Issue - Baseband unknown?

Guest goatee

Guest goatee

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help, but I have this issue whereby sometimes when I boot up my phone, it doesn't prompt me for my SIM unlock code, and refuses to initialise the radio. When I go into the phone status, under Baseband, is says unknown. All I can do is reboot my phone a number of times, until it lets me in.

It seemed worse under MIUI, so I've come back to GR1.

The only strange thing, is that when I flash the baseband on my phone, it never wipes the internal SD, so I don't know if something funny is going on (when I update the baseband on my wife's O2X, it DOES wipe the internal SD).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Edited by goatee

Guest goatee

I can give it a go (I'm using the standard one), but what's strangest is that it's not restricted to a particular ROM, or baseband, and that my internal SD doesn't get wiped when I flash a new baseband.

Are you using the special GB Baseband (622 GB)? If not maybe you should try it

Guest Peterfdevries

Had the same problem with GR1. Numerous of reboots didn't resolve the problem, so I also went back to FR19.

I think the 725 baseband should work with GR-series. A combination of pre-gingerbreadrelease and this baseband has allready been shown on pictures.

Guest goatee

Ah, thanks - I'm glad I'm not alone! My wife is on FR19, so maybe I'll just go back to it too (or just stick it out until FR20 comes out next week :D).

Had the same problem with GR1. Numerous of reboots didn't resolve the problem, so I also went back to FR19.

I think the 725 baseband should work with GR-series. A combination of pre-gingerbreadrelease and this baseband has allready been shown on pictures.

• 1 month later...
Guest OnyxDroid

Had similar issue on Gr4. Used GetRIL to download the recommended RIL and rebooted.

Baseband: 1035.21_20110725

RIL: 0725 (V20C, Eurpe Leaked GingerBread)

Works fine now.

For me, this problem has always occured with a specific BB/ROM combination. For example I was unable to use 725GB with MIUI at all, reboots did not help so I always ended up flashing the BB again. And it only lasted until the next reboot so I had to flash back to 622 which worked fine.

I'm on CM7 with 725 a few weeks now and so far so good. I'm trying out the GR4 probably later today so hopefully it'll be just as stable ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting - thanks for the responses. I just tried a new version of MIUI but with the same problem. I've always been slightly dubious about my bb flashes, as it doesn't wipe my internal SD card when I flash my phone. However, when I flash my wife's phone's bb, it DOES get wiped.

But using one RIL & BB in CM 7.1 works fine (maybe 1/3 boots I'll get the issue, but rebooting solves it), and in MIUI, it will only boot correctly maybe 1/4 or even 1/5 times! I'm stuck with the phone for another year, as selling it won't give me enough to buy anything half way as decent hardware-wise, and CM 7.1 is ok, but if I could solve this issue, it would mean I could pick and choose ROM, as opposed to using CM as it's my only decent option :(.

Ah! So for CM/MIUI, I should either use 0218 RIL and GB BB, or simply use Froyo BB & matching RIL?

CM doesn't like GB RIL. It causes unknown baseband. Use froyo RIL if u wanna use CM.

GB BB is fine on CM.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

With the 0725 BB, and (default 0218) RIL, MIUI wasn't happy, but experimenting, the Froyo 0622 RIL and 0725 BB seems to be rock solid. You're a star, and restored my faith in my phone (and MIUI).

If this forum had the "thank" option for posts, I'd have thanked you!

CM doesn't like GB RIL. It causes unknown baseband. Use froyo RIL if u wanna use CM.

GB BB is fine on CM.

• 3 weeks later...