10 Nov 3.48.405.1 - Installing Honeycomb on your Flyer - the complete guide

Guest PaulOBrien

flyerhc1.pngflyerhc3.pngflyerhc9.png

Now updated to 3.48.405.1! Sorry, if you are already on the first Honeycomb leak, you must use this guide to rollback to Gingerbread before upgrading!

As you probably know, a Beta version of the Honeycomb ROM has leaked for the Flyer (as posted in this forum). Installing the ROM has been somewhat fraught with danger, so i've written up a guide below.

PLEASE READ THE EXCEPTIONALLY IMPORTANT POINTS BELOW BEFORE YOU START!

• This process is recommended for experts only!
  • This guide is only tested on a Euro WWE 32GB 3G Flyer - it may work on other configurations, but this is untested (i'd advise reading the topic to see if anyone has experimented with your configuration!)
  • Anything you do from this point forward is at your own risk - my Flyer works and i've resurrected a couple of others, but I take no responsibility if it all goes horribly wrong. You COULD brick your tablet
  • Do NOT under any circumstances run the RUU in it's entirety nor 'fastboot flash rom.zip' - this will make irreversible changes that you don't want!
  • Be careful if you flash any RUUs or do anything that could revert you to S-ON on a broken system - this could leave you stuck
    With that out of the way, here are some things you also need to know...

• Before attempting this, it is strongly recommended you ensure you have a RUU install that makes your current Gingerbread install version
    • Assuming you use this guide and have the above file, you CAN downgrade to Gingerbread
    • This ROM is COMPLETELY stock - a MCR will follow
    • Please don't repost this guide - link here so the version the reader has is always current

OK? Ready? Let's go.

[*]Ensure you have an RUU that matches the ROM version on your Flyer. I used the 2.00.405.3 WWE ROM which can be found here -

DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 28a32c0b1262ced44a547e4a9a42d9b0. This is important for rollback purposes and disaster recovery purposes. Ensuring you have the RUU and your device version matches is your responsibility! If you use a different RUU however, post it below for your peers to benefit from. A reference topic containing various RUU files can be found here.

[*]Download the Honeycomb system image for clockworkmod - you'll need this later - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: ae610dd4ee709c1122c3c55f056c8f42

[*]Download the Honeycomb radio image - you'll need this later - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 6d2479b49d4ace9ae46f352f42401dbb

[*]Download the Honeycomb boot image - you'll need this later - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 62d946c17d9597face9664f790234e8c

[*]Download the revolutionary recovery image patched for new hboot compatability - you'll need this later - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: bb366b025dcc454ffe8b21b8bf0c72d0

[*]Download the updated hboot - you'll need this later - ensure you check the MD5 after download (VERY important) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 58e1642c1fb2531cada52a6273e6cc4e

[*]Unlock your Flyer's bootloader with Revolutionary.

[*]You should still be in bootloader - if not, use 'adb reboot bootloader' to return to fastboot

[*]Flash your device's radio with the Honeycomb radio with the fastboot command 'fastboot flash radio stock-hc-flyer-radio-3.48.405.1.img'

[*]Flash your device's boot image with the Honeycomb boot image with the fastboot command 'fastboot flash boot stock-hc-flyer-boot-3.48.405.1.img'

[*]Launch ClockworkMod recovery - navigate to the 'bootloader' menu then select 'recovery'

[*]Push the new hboot to your device (you've checked the MD5 right?) and flash - 'adb push stock-hc-flyer-hboot_1.11.0011.nb0 / && adb shell dd if=/stock-hc-flyer-hboot_1.11.0011.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18'

[*]Reboot to the new bootloader - 'adb reboot bootloader'

[*]You are now in a state where you must unlock the bootloader using the HTC tools - visit http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and follow the instructions (Flyer compatability isn't listed, but it'll work)

[*]Flash your device's recovery with the patched-to-work-with-new-hboot revolutionary recovery - 'fastboot flash recovery revolutionary-cwm-4.0.1.4-flyer.hboot0011.img'

[*]Launch ClockworkMod recovery - navigate to the 'bootloader' menu then select 'recovery'

[*]Flash the Honeycomb system zip by copying / pushing to sdcard (adb shell mount /sdcard && adb push stock-hc-flyer-system-3.48.405.1.zip /sdcard/) then using the on screen menus

[*]Erase data / cache using the on screen menus

[*]Reboot the device and you should be done!

Let me know if you have any issues and i'll tweak the guide. :)

P

PS You can grab ADB and fastboot if you need them here - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid).

This post has been promoted to an article

If you're wondering 'why so many steps and why don't we just run the ruu'? There are 2 main reasons - firstly is the fact that you need s-off, which is generally the revolutionary bootloader, which protects itself from being overwritten - a problem as the new bootloader is necessary for HC. The second reason is that flashing RUU or rom.zip updates your misc partition version tag, which can seriously limit your options should something go wrong and / or you need to roll back to Gingerbread.

:)

P

Just out of curiosity Paul. Will you post a guide on how to get back to GingerBread as well some time in the future?

To get back to Gingerbread, just reflash your Gingerbread RUU from step 1. Simples. :)

P

To get back to Gingerbread, just reflash your Gingerbread RUU from step 1. Simples. :)

P

So i assume that after we flash the GB RUU we will have the old hboot back and we can run revolutionary again?

So i assume that after we flash the GB RUU we will have the old hboot back and we can run revolutionary again?

Yup - flashing your RUU from step 1 gets you back to the start and you can start again. :)

P

Hi Paul,

great job!

Q: I rooted and "S-OFFed" my Flyer some weeks ago using this guide and atm it has a CustomROM.

Will there be any problem or do I just have to start with step 9 (after all the downloads)?

Deerhunter

You should be fine.

P

Guest Deerhunter48

You should be fine.

P

Jep, worked fine.

Issue: The button row is not fully activ - "Home", "Menu" and "Back" are not available, "PenOptions" is available.

Jep, worked fine.

Issue: The button row is not fully activ - "Home", "Menu" and "Back" are not available, "PenOptions" is available.

That's by design. Honeycomb = soft buttons.

P

Guest glitzbd

Paul much thanks! Best Buy WiFi only Flyer working on Honeycomb!

About to pair up my bluetooth keyboard and try out all the fancy Honeycomb only functions haha!

Hi, My flyer is still stock with only the few updates that I got OTA. Would I have to first root my device or s-off before I can

follow this guide? Or are all these procedures included in the guide?

Thanks guys