[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

FTB: (Ferdinand The Bull) a modified Red Bull Mobile 2.1 rom

*See important instructions below for how to tweak this rom initially.

This is a mod of the RBM2 rom (U8230B865) with a slightly modified overclocked boot.img from Flibblesan's FLB 1.7 rom. It looks like the total /system files occupy more than 90mb of space, so you need to have a /system partition larger than that to install this rom as-is. (If you discover it won't fit for you, please let other know what official update you used.) See the second post for more details on what was modified in this rom and for the changelog.

Important: I have pre-set the swappiness to 15 starting with version 0.8. Previous versions defaulted to a swappiness value of 60. That was way too high for me, causing serious lag problems. I have a swap partition on my SD card of 32mb. So I set swappiness to 30 or lower. If your swap partition is bigger than mine, you probably need to set that swappiness number lower than 30 (20 or 15 or 10 depending on the size of your partition). See the code below for how to change your swappiness in this rom after installation There are also two other recommended settings to adjust, the low memory killer settings and moving the cache to your SD card. Starting in version 0.9, I have slightly modified the lowmem settings to something more aggressive than the Huawei defaults, but not as aggressive as "lowmem-moderate". YMMV. Note: that you might not want to move your cache to SD (a2sd cachesd) unless you have a Class 6 or higher SD card.

Open Terminal Emulator and type the following:

su

a2sd lowmem-moderate

a2sd cachesd

After you enter the final line, your phone will reboot, and then take some time to move the Dalvik cache. Please be patient and wait for it to finish and settle down. This will take some time. Don't assume anything has gone wrong. Just wait.

Please note, all my roms are forever "beta"; use at your own risk.

Latest version: (changelog in the second post)

(2012 01 01)

(works with v.0.7, 0.8, or 0.9; for people who prefer white; install after the rom file above)

For anyone who wants a boot.img with 691 mhz default speed, here is an installable zip: flb691bootimg-install.zip (Note: the swappiness has not been set to 15 in this boot.img; it defaults to 60.)

Previous version: FTB08b (211 12 10)

Edited by twrock

Changelog:

FTB09: (2012 01 01)

• Modified build.prop:

-phone now looks like a Nexus phone to the Market

-changed all references from "RBM2" to "U8230"

-modified to remove the debugging notify icon display in notification bar

-modified to try to save some more battery

• Added RomManager 4.8.0.5 and Android System Info to /data.
    • Updated QuickPic, SmoothCalendar (modified), Vanilla Music player, NoFrillsCPUControl
    • Removed VoiceRecorder
    • Modified lowmem killer values in boot.img to be slightly more aggressive than the Huawei defaults (but not as aggressive as DT Apps2SD "lowmem-moderate" setting).
      FTB08: (2011 12 10)
      • Updated QuickPic, Superuser, Terminal Emulator.
      • Deleted the stock Music app and added VanillaMusic player. (This player allows you to raise the volume much louder than the limit imposed by Huawei; see the app settings.)
      • Deleted Wi-Fi Switch out of /data.
      • Added Wifi Status, Quick Settings, and No-frills CPU Control to /data. (Quick Settings is an app that gives you access to a set of toggles from the notification bar; I added this app because I missed that functionality when returning to a 2.1 rom after having it in CM6 roms; warning: be careful of using the APN switch, you might lose your data connection ability.)
      • Modified build.prop to make the launcher more persistent (for launchers that don't have that option).
      • Modified boot.img to pre-set swappiness to 15.
        FTB07: (2011 10 27)
        • Updated QuickPic, Superuser, Terminal Emulator.
        • Deleted SoundRecorder.apk and added VoiceRecorder.apk.
        • Attempted to lock MMS/SMS in memory via a line in build.prop (found that in another rom, but I don't know if it actually does anything).
        • Removed the "continuing internet access..." warning in build.prop.
        • Major modifications to create a black theme (framework-res.apk, framework-res-hwext.apk, Phone.apk, Mms.apk, build.prop).
        • Created a "vanilla theme" for people who prefer that.

FTB06: (2011 10 08)

[*]Modified the FLB691OC boot.img to be set to 528mhz default at boot. (Can be adjusted with apps such as SetCPU; original 691 boot.img is also available for download)[*]Updated apps: QuickPic and Superuser.[*]Added Wi-Fi Switch to /data.[*]Modified build.prop to comment out the custom wallpaper and add WCDMA as preferred network state.[*]Made bluetooth name "U8230" in build.prop and local.prop.[*]Deleted extraneous /system/cust options.[*]Deleted /system/media/hw_image.[*]Modified framework-res.apk to replace the default wallpaper.

FTB-02: (2011 09 10)

[*]Updated /system apps[*]Updated apn listing (thanks Pepe)[*]Fixed opengl (thanks Pepe)[*]Ringdelay set to 0[*]Wallpaper replaced (Ferdinand is gone)

FTBOC-beta01: (initial release 2011 09 06)

• RBM2 (B865) rom mod to include root, busybox, and DT Apps2SD
  • Overclocked 691mhz boot.img from Flibblesan's FLB1.7 rom
  • Lots of bloatware removed, including a many of the meda files and apps/widgets
  • ADWLauncher replaces Canvas
  • AndExplorer replaces FileManager
  • QuickPic replaces Gallery
  • Music replaced with an alternate
  • Market updated to 2.3.6
  • Added Terminal Emulator
  • Power Control widget modified to be black
  • Minor build.prop tweaks (I purposefully did not change a lot here because I did not want to make something worse by accident)
Edited by twrock

I still don't understand how can you people dislike the Huawei Canvas. It's quite fast on my mod (combination of 2-3 roms overhere).

Oh well... I'll try ur mod in a week, cause I need my phone right now.

Have a nice day.

OK. Thanks. Flashing it right now!

UPdate: it boots :) background is indeed ferdinand! classic. im keeping it for for now.

Testing and installing my normal bloat must have apps....

feedback tomorrow.

update:

Battery life seems similar to pepes rom after todays usage with wifi and using the phone like i normally do.

wifi issue when coming out of sleep, i installed blades wifi fix.

im keeping the background!!

I get a "acore android system" not responding when the phone is rebooted, i got that on pepes rom as well.

gonna install anegin a2sd app to toggle a2sd settings.

Ganker

Edited by ganker

I still don't understand how can you people dislike the Huawei Canvas. It's quite fast on my mod (combination of 2-3 roms overhere).

Oh well... I'll try ur mod in a week, cause I need my phone right now.

Have a nice day.

Sorry, but when I build a rom that I think I might end up using for a long time, I'm a little selfish and build it that way I like to use it. Of course that won't fit for everyone. And the reason I don't like Canvas is because it lacks the flexibility of ADWLauncher which lets me modify what apps I want on the bottom bar as well as the very handy dockbar where I can put a special set of utility apps and get to them very quickly no matter what laucher screen I am on. Of course, YMMV.

If you build roms, you know how to bring Canvas back, but for others who don't, here's what to do (very basic rom modding):

1. Download this rom and unzip it, making sure to keep the directory structure intact.
  2. Delete the file /system/app/ADWLauncher.apk.
  3. Download CanvasLauncher.zip
  4. Unzip it.
  5. Copy the two files in the CanvasLauncher.zip (Launcher.apk and Launcherdb.apk) into /system/app of the rom.
  6. Zip up the rom and install it as you would the original.
You will have Canvas back, and ADWLauncher will be gone.

You might have a problem with the initial wallpaper, since Canvas requires a different sized graphic. But I suspect you will want to replace it anyway. (And the initial wallpaper is a joke of mine anyway.)

Edited by twrock

OK. Thanks for this flashing now.

UPdate: it boots :) background is indeed ferdinand! classic. im keeping it for for now.

Testing and installing my normal bloat must have apps....

feedback tomorrow.

Ganker

Ferdinand! ;)

I'm interested mostly in the battery life of this rom. For anyone who has been getting great battery life from Pepe's RBM2 mod, I want to know if this is similar (since I can't run his rom). Please do give feedback.

Dear Twrock

I tried this rom it is stable and fast so far.

But would you please add arabic support to this good rom

Again, sorry, but I have no idea how to add Arabic support.

If you can point me to an English web page that discusses what the issues/solutions are, maybe I can understand why this is so difficult for those of you who need it to add it to your phones. But without that, I have no way of knowing what is going on with Arabic.

Guest welly123

Again, sorry, but I have no idea how to add Arabic support.

If you can point me to an English web page that discusses what the issues/solutions are, maybe I can understand why this is so difficult for those of you who need it to add it to your phones. But without that, I have no way of knowing what is going on with Arabic.

Dear twrock

I think the issue in changing the framework file and the libweb.so file to support arabic

Here is a useful site and I hope it is helpful:

http://blog.devasque.com/

Thanx in progress

Edited by welly123

mediafire wont open :-[

Can you use a proxy server to get to it? I really don't want to start trying to maintain two different locations for my uploads. It's hard enough to stay on top of one! :blink:

Dear twrock

I think the issue in changing the framework file and the libweb.so file to support arabic

Here is a useful site and I hope it is helpful:

http://blog.devasque.com/

Thanx in progress

Thanks. I am really busy these next two days with work. I might be able to look at it a little tonight and this weekend. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

It is really hard to test something when you don't know how it is supposed to work when it is working correctly. The more detail people can give on the problem, the more helpful it will be.

Guest welly123

Thanks. I am really busy these next two days with work. I might be able to look at it a little tonight and this weekend. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

It is really hard to test something when you don't know how it is supposed to work when it is working correctly. The more detail people can give on the problem, the more helpful it will be.

Thank you

also if downloading an official rom with full arabic support will help you can use this:

http://etisalat.com.eg/etisalat/templates/428/dload.zip

good luck and thank you

Thank you

also if downloading an official rom with full arabic support will help you can use this:

http://etisalat.com....s/428/dload.zip

good luck and thank you

That very likely will help.

Is that an official 2.1 rom for the U8220 or U8230?

If so, is there anything that people don't like about it, or is it just that people want to add root, swap and apps2sd to it?

In other words, what is it that people who need Arabic support really looking for? (And that question is for anyone who wants Arabic support in modified roms.)

Guest welly123

That very likely will help.

Is that an official 2.1 rom for the U8220 or U8230?

If so, is there anything that people don't like about it, or is it just that people want to add root, swap and apps2sd to it?

In other words, what is it that people who need Arabic support really looking for? (And that question is for anyone who wants Arabic support in modified roms.)

Dear twrock

This is an official rom for U8230. it is a stable one but it is a very slow and battery eater rom.

best regards

Guest sleepingman

FTB-02 released. Link is in the first post. Changelog is in the second post.

Enjoy

twrock,thanks for another rom!!

im going to try this one for im having a lot of FC's in my current 2.2.

if you can, can you tell me how can i change ADW for Zeam launcher in the rom?

is similar to the way you tell in the previous post?

thanks in advance :D

twrock,thanks for another rom!!

im going to try this one for im having a lot of FC's in my current 2.2.

if you can, can you tell me how can i change ADW for Zeam launcher in the rom?

is similar to the way you tell in the previous post?

thanks in advance :D

2.2 having FCs? I never have FC's with 2.2 (CM6.1). I have FCs with every 2.1 rom I use, no matter what I do. YMMV.

Adding Zeam is the same as I mentioned above. You just use the Zeam Launcher APK file instead of the ADWLauncher.apk. Just make sure the Zeam file name has no spaces in it. You can call it whatever you want otherwise (something like ZeamLaucher.apk will work fine).

But why not just install Zeam as any other app and leave it at that? After installation you can choose it as default and you won't ever see ADWLaucher again. Unless you need to save a tiny bit of space in /system, you don't need to go through all that work. Zeam installs and runs just fine when installed as a separate app (vs. being part of the "permanent" rom).

But something tells me that you will have to find an older copy of the Zeam Launcher apk. Doesn't the current version only work with 2.2 and above?

And on another note completely off topic,........

I have finally figured out how to control the initial max CPU frequency in a boot image! :D (That might not mean much to anyone else, but it was a problem I have been working on for a while.) So now I can finally give Pepe's RBM rom a test run and see for myself if it helps with battery life. Maybe I'll use my newly acquired knowledge to modify the boot.img in this rom to default to 614 instead of 691. Any input from anyone on why I should or shouldn't do that? (And, no, I still have no idea how to compile a 792mhz kernel, so please don't even think of asking.) :P

Guest sleepingman

2.2 having FCs? I never have FC's with 2.2 (CM6.1). I have FCs with every 2.1 rom I use, no matter what I do. YMMV.

Adding Zeam is the same as I mentioned above. You just use the Zeam Launcher APK file instead of the ADWLauncher.apk. Just make sure the Zeam file name has no spaces in it. You can call it whatever you want otherwise (something like ZeamLaucher.apk will work fine).

But why not just install Zeam as any other app and leave it at that? After installation you can choose it as default and you won't ever see ADWLaucher again. Unless you need to save a tiny bit of space in /system, you don't need to go through all that work. Zeam installs and runs just fine when installed as a separate app (vs. being part of the "permanent" rom).

But something tells me that you will have to find an older copy of the Zeam Launcher apk. Doesn't the current version only work with 2.2 and above?

And on another note completely off topic,........

I have finally figured out how to control the initial max CPU frequency in a boot image! :D (That might not mean much to anyone else, but it was a problem I have been working on for a while.) So now I can finally give Pepe's RBM rom a test run and see for myself if it helps with battery life. Maybe I'll use my newly acquired knowledge to modify the boot.img in this rom to default to 614 instead of 691. Any input from anyone on why I should or shouldn't do that? (And, no, I still have no idea how to compile a 792mhz kernel, so please don't even think of asking.) :P

thanks, and you're right, i need to use a older version.... :P i'm thinking to stay with adw its my second choice right after zeam :D

Cumps

Guest silahsiztugi

Metin veya web sayfası çevirinöncelikle tesekkür ederim ro için ben türkiyede yasiyorum FTB-02.zip kurdum ama bazı sistem dosyaları rusça olarak kaldı bunun için ne yapmamı önerirsinizBunu mu demek istediniz? öncelikle tesekkür ederim ro için ben türkiyede yasiyorumMetin veya web sitesi adresi yazın ya da bir dokümanı çevirin.İptal

Türkçe dilinden İngilizce diline çeviri

I thank you for the first turkey I live ro FTB-02.zip I installed some system files but what do you suggest for this russian remained

Guest pedrojaime

First of all fantastic ROM twrock, my respects!! Its almost perfect, have been testing everything a lot over the last 24 hours.

A couple little things I wanted to ask people out there, is there a way to increase the max media volume slightly, it seems a bit lower than in CM61. This isn't necessarily a bug since I never get any distortion when paying music loud like I have with CM61 rom, nevertheless, it would be nice to be able to tweak and increase the max media volume..

Also, does anyone know why I am getting this error - I am sure this is from all that experimenting and installing on my SD card an nothing to do with this ROM:

http://attachments.x...98&d=1293989970

when trying to install anything from market?

This is the best ROM for U8220 I have ever tried, well done!

thanks,

Peter

EDIT: the only other bug I can see is that skype still plays conversations through the loudspeaker. I believe this was resolved in CM7. Having said that, skype (I mean Microsoft now), need to get their act together and support more phones for video calls including the Pulse. Something tells me that they will focus their efforts on Windows phones though.. ;)

Edited by pedrojaime

First of all fantastic ROM twrock, my respects!! Its almost perfect, have been testing everything a lot over the last 24 hours.

A couple little things I wanted to ask people out there, is there a way to increase the max media volume slightly, it seems a bit lower than in CM61. This isn't necessarily a bug since I never get any distortion when paying music loud like I have with CM61 rom, nevertheless, it would be nice to be able to tweak and increase the max media volume..

Also, does anyone know why I am getting this error - I am sure this is from all that experimenting and installing on my SD card an nothing to do with this ROM:

http://attachments.x...98&d=1293989970

when trying to install anything from market?

This is the best ROM for U8220 I have ever tried, well done!

thanks,

Peter

EDIT: the only other bug I can see is that skype still plays conversations through the loudspeaker. I believe this was resolved in CM7. Having said that, skype (I mean Microsoft now), need to get their act together and support more phones for video calls including the Pulse. Something tells me that they will focus their efforts on Windows phones though.. ;)

Media volume is in Settings. If I have it maxed in a 2.1 rom it distorts, so I have it at about 90%.

That "insufficient storage" sure looks like you don't have enough space to install any more apps. So the possibilities I can think of are:

1. You don't have a properly running Apps2SD, so you are out of /data space. You can check your a2sd by typing this in Terminal:

su

a2sd check
That will tell you whether or not apps are being linked to SD. (If you don't see the star, but the bracket are together with no extra space, [], then it is working; but it it has a wide space, [ ], then it is not working.) 2. Your SD ext2 partition is not large enough to install any more apps. Make it bigger. 3. You didn't move cache to SD, so your /data is full from all of those cached files. In that case, in Terminal:
su

a2sd cachesd

That's what I can think of.