[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

Guest pedrojaime

twrock your roms just keep getting better and better. The inbuilt SMS app invisible 'send' button text was resolved in your last version of the black theme btw. Will test your latest edition as soon as I can and come back to you with feedback ;)

Ganker, I had same weirdness with EXT3 and EXT4 format, so only format as EXT2.

I've spent way too much time trying to change the pink highlight color for marked text. I even checked out FLB1.7 to see if Flibblesan was ever successful in doing so; apparently he wasn't. So I think I'm giving up on that. But if anyone has any information that can help me with that, I'd really appreciate it. It seems it is something Huawei did in some "unique" way, and I have not been successful in figuring out where they put the files involved in their color schemes.

Unless someone finds yet another problem I haven't noticed, I think I'll upload the "final" version some time tomorrow. I'm a bit tempted to make this theme the default for future versions of the FTB rom. I'll think about it.

Incidentally, I modified ADW Launcher to replace the bottom launch bar. I'm not sure whether or not I should put it into the DarkTheme update file. What do you think of the bottom launcher bar?

post-596158-0-54965600-1318953817_thumb.

I've spent way too much time trying to change the pink highlight color for marked text. I even checked out FLB1.7 to see if Flibblesan was ever successful in doing so; apparently he wasn't. So I think I'm giving up on that. But if anyone has any information that can help me with that, I'd really appreciate it. It seems it is something Huawei did in some "unique" way, and I have not been successful in figuring out where they put the files involved in their color schemes.

Unless someone finds yet another problem I haven't noticed, I think I'll upload the "final" version some time tomorrow. I'm a bit tempted to make this theme the default for future versions of the FTB rom. I'll think about it.

Incidentally, I modified ADW Launcher to replace the bottom launch bar. I'm not sure whether or not I should put it into the DarkTheme update file. What do you think of the bottom launcher bar?

post-596158-0-54965600-1318953817_thumb.

Looks fine. id use it reminds of zeam launcher somehow.

I've spent way too much time trying to change the pink highlight color for marked text. I even checked out FLB1.7 to see if Flibblesan was ever successful in doing so; apparently he wasn't.

U should contact ogiogi, he did it.

edit: http://twitpic.com/2vd5o3

Edited by D-D-

U should contact ogiogi, he did it.

edit: http://twitpic.com/2vd5o3

A big thanks for that. I hope he can tell me how it is done.

I did notice that the screenshot is of a "vanilla" theme. I can get rid of the pink highlight with the vanilla theme, just not with the black theme.

His private messages are closed, so I'll try to contact him some other way.

Thanks again for finding that.

Edit: this is interesting from Ogiogi's Espresso theme thread where he says it's not possible:

http://android.modac...ost__p__1404734

But then there is this later on where he explains the solution:

http://android.modac...ost__p__1421661

But unfortunately, I can't find the file Ogiogi references, not even in his own theme! :blink: I'm so confused.

Edit2: Ok, I don't know "how" to do it myself, but using Ogiogi's framework file as the base, I was able to make all my other modifications to that file, and now the highlight color is blue. After testing for a short time, I'll upload it for others to give it a try. The file is much smaller in size, so I don't know if something important is missing. Still, if anyone can tell me how to properly decompile the framework_res.apk so that I can get to the /res/values/styles.xml file, I'd appreciate the help.

Edit3: Ok, I now "understand" and have located tools that presumably allow me to do it myself. However, I don't know if I want to take the time to do all that work. The biggest problem with the tools is that they are made for Windows. :rolleyes:

Edit4: Serious bummer. Yes, it looks like I've got to learn how to decompile and recompile or this won't work. My previous attempts "worked" only because they were installed on top of the system that was working. But when I tried to add them to an installable rom, the rom failed. So it might be a while until I really get it working. (Unless Ogiogi happens to come along and volunteers to do it for me....) ;)

Edited by twrock

Ok. I'll ask him if he can help u, cause he doesn't have a pulse anymore.

Thanks. I've spent a lot of time trying to get this to work today, including trying to learn how to use apktool. Supposedly I was "successful", but attempting to use the framework file I recompiled got me stuck upon boot. I think I'm at a loss for how to get it to work.

If he is willing to try, please ask him just to make the stock framework-res.apk with a green highlight. I think I can handle it from there.

Here are the files I believe he needs.

framework.zip

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

great work twrock, we really appreciate your efforts! :)

I have a question maybe someone can answer. Does anyone know where just the 'Music' volume maximum is set? Is this set in a file under /system?? Note this is different from Media volume. If I install Vanilla media player, I have an option it that application's settings where I can put the music up to 100%. Whilst this is too loud coming out of the phone speaker, it makes a big difference to the loudness when plugging into the AUX port in my car radio. Using 'plug in launcher' will allow you to set default media volume when the line-out jack is plugged in and a different volume for when using the phone speaker which is great.

This brings me to my next issue. Vanilla Media player does not like the jack being plugged in and out all the time. While I love this media player, this is a serious problem for me and this is resolved completely for me using the stock music app. The only way to retain 100% music volume at the moment though is to have Vanilla media player installed/frozen. Uninstalling it puts the music volume back down to 80%. Hope someone can help..

thanks,

Peter

EDIT: Sticking to Vanilla Media player, set plug in launcher to display dialog when plugging in Line-out jack, then click on 'No' when plugging it in seems to solve the problem with the media player skipping throughout the mp3s every 2 seconds. Have full volume for mp3s and good playback now again btw in case it helps anyone out there ;)

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest pedrojaime

twrock, I see what you mean about the selected text coming up t-mobile pink. Also, not sure about the bar at the bottom, IMHO, you should leave the default ADW 3-button bar, just my opinion. I like the faenza icons (are they faenza?) though I notice they look better on my Linux laptop than on the phone and its a large package. Looking forward to your next release!! :D thanks

twrock, I see what you mean about the selected text coming up t-mobile pink. Also, not sure about the bar at the bottom, IMHO, you should leave the default ADW 3-button bar, just my opinion. I like the faenza icons (are they faenza?) though I notice they look better on my Linux laptop than on the phone and its a large package. Looking forward to your next release!! :D thanks

:rolleyes: Just switched to Rocket Launcher from adw on this rom. Its my cup of tea! not for everyone tho those that thrive for homescreens galore will simply pass. If I go one more week straight on rocket launcher its gonna be default launcher.

Ganker.

My goal was to make the ADW bottom bar look more like the top status bar. I did some work on a later version I haven't uploaded, but I'm still not satisfied. However, since I have now found better information on how to edit .9.png's, I think I will be able to do something much nicer than my first effort (what you are seeing now). And I agree that it does not look good as a 3-button bar. I use a 5-button bar, so I don't have a problem with non-curved corners.

But in the middle of all of that, I started messing around with the newest UK 2011 rom. Since I now have all the "parts", modifying the UK rom was very easy (except for that nagging pink text highlight). And the UK 2011 rom has the advantage of having been made for the low-memory Pulse (vs. the large memory Red Bull device). The resulting rom is very small, not even 50 mb zipped up. (Of course I remove all of the usual bloat, including Maps and other apps that get updated too often.) So there is quite a bit of space to install apps in /system or even in /data if one doesn't want to use Apps2SD.

When I have time this weekend, I'll try again to get something to work with that highlight problem. Since the UK 2011 is the newest official rom I know of, I think I'll focus on it for a while.

In the mean time, if anyone wants the original ADW back, you can find it in the original rom file or in the "vanilla theme" file.

A big thanks for that. I hope he can tell me how it is done.

I did notice that the screenshot is of a "vanilla" theme. I can get rid of the pink highlight with the vanilla theme, just not with the black theme.

His private messages are closed, so I'll try to contact him some other way.

Thanks again for finding that.

Edit: this is interesting from Ogiogi's Espresso theme thread where he says it's not possible:

http://android.modac...ost__p__1404734

But then there is this later on where he explains the solution:

http://android.modac...ost__p__1421661

But unfortunately, I can't find the file Ogiogi references, not even in his own theme! :blink: I'm so confused.

Edit2: Ok, I don't know "how" to do it myself, but using Ogiogi's framework file as the base, I was able to make all my other modifications to that file, and now the highlight color is blue. After testing for a short time, I'll upload it for others to give it a try. The file is much smaller in size, so I don't know if something important is missing. Still, if anyone can tell me how to properly decompile the framework_res.apk so that I can get to the /res/values/styles.xml file, I'd appreciate the help.

Edit3: Ok, I now "understand" and have located tools that presumably allow me to do it myself. However, I don't know if I want to take the time to do all that work. The biggest problem with the tools is that they are made for Windows. :rolleyes:

Edit4: Serious bummer. Yes, it looks like I've got to learn how to decompile and recompile or this won't work. My previous attempts "worked" only because they were installed on top of the system that was working. But when I tried to add them to an installable rom, the rom failed. So it might be a while until I really get it working. (Unless Ogiogi happens to come along and volunteers to do it for me....) ;)

Recompiling that framework gives tons of errors. Sorry, it just can't be done. I remember spending a day trying when i had the Pulse...

Recompiling that framework gives tons of errors. Sorry, it just can't be done. I remember spending a day trying when i had the Pulse...

But somehow you did modify the framework for your previous themes. How did you do it? What tools did you use? Anything you can tell me might help.

I got tons of errors too when I started trying with APKtool, and I think it was because I was starting with a modified framework-res.apk file. But eventually I went back to the original (unmodified) framework-res.apk and framework-res-hwext.apk, and I did get APKtool to work without errors (I had to "if" both of those files to get it to work without error messages). But the resulting recompiled file was much smaller than the original (so was it missing something or just a higher level of compression?), and simply would not boot.

Thanks for looking at this.

But somehow you did modify the framework for your previous themes. How did you do it? What tools did you use? Anything you can tell me might help.

I got tons of errors too when I started trying with APKtool, and I think it was because I was starting with a modified framework-res.apk file. But eventually I went back to the original (unmodified) framework-res.apk and framework-res-hwext.apk, and I did get APKtool to work without errors (I had to "if" both of those files to get it to work without error messages). But the resulting recompiled file was much smaller than the original (so was it missing something or just a higher level of compression?), and simply would not boot.

Thanks for looking at this.

You can try this:

Extract the modified styles.xml after you've compiled it. Then open the original framework with zip/rar and replace styles.xml with the new modified one. Sign the apk and flash it. I think that's how i did it...

You can try this:

Extract the modified styles.xml after you've compiled it. Then open the original framework with zip/rar and replace styles.xml with the new modified one. Sign the apk and flash it. I think that's how i did it...

That's what I had hoped I could do. But the only way I can even see the styles.xml is after I decompile it with APKtool.

When I simply unzip framework-res.apk, I can't see /res/values/styles.xml. there are many directories that don't show up.

Am I missing something simple?

Can someone verify this error.

In Sound Recorder, record something, stop, then Menu/Recordings.

Do you get the FC message, every time?

Yes, I can confirm

ganker

Yes, I can confirm

ganker

Thanks. Hmm, I wonder what I did to cause that problem.

Ok, I'll replace that app in the next version of the rom.

Any suggestions from anyone for a very simple replacement app? I've looked at "Voice Recorder", but it seems to do something weird when it pops up the media volume. My requirements are a free app, no ads, small in size and very simple.

I suppose I could leave it out. Seems no one actually uses it, since it hasn't been reported since this rom was created. :lol:

Guest GregorioUY

Thanks. Hmm, I wonder what I did to cause that problem.

Ok, I'll replace that app in the next version of the rom.

Any suggestions from anyone for a very simple replacement app? I've looked at "Voice Recorder", but it seems to do something weird when it pops up the media volume. My requirements are a free app, no ads, small in size and very simple.

I suppose I could leave it out. Seems no one actually uses it, since it hasn't been reported since this rom was created. :lol:

I use Tape-a-Talk, but the free version, only records in wav (that's the way I like it, so I can process it later on my computer)

Guest igor_anta

twrock, I think you're the last beacon of hope for the Pulse on these forums :) Good work.

BTW, I might suggest you implement the fix that removes the annoying Wi-Fi warning in the next release. It was a simple build.prop tweak, I just forgot what it was exactly.

Cheers!

twrock, I think you're the last beacon of hope for the Pulse on these forums :) Good work.

BTW, I might suggest you implement the fix that removes the annoying Wi-Fi warning in the next release. It was a simple build.prop tweak, I just forgot what it was exactly.

Cheers!

If I'm the last, the light is getting pretty dim! :lol:

I'll look into that. I have the same "lack" of recollection that it was in build.prop.

Guest pedrojaime

Its a fantastic phone and really under-rated as far as I'm concerned. It performs very well. Experimenting with underclocking at the moment I find I can run perfectly well at 320Mhz max;245 min. I have profiles in SetCPU to push it up higher when 'in call' to make the phone functions more responsive and renicing phone processes for higher priority work well. What I am lokoing for is a way to schedule the data connection. What would be great is to get the 3G data connection to come up for 5 min. In that time, for the email program to search for new messages in the inbox and notify me, then disconnect for another 30 min/1 hour. If I could manage this I believe I would extend the battery big time! I tried 'green power free' but its not quite working for me. Has anyone manged to get this to work? At the moment I just have 'Power schedule' telling 3G to come on 08:00-17:00 and then wifi on 17:00-22:00 but it could be better. I think I will try this with 'Timeriffic' app unless someone has managed to create a script using task bomber or some other scripting app..?

@twrock, I find that the ADW dock can be made to look almost like the tp status bar. Go to ADW Settings -> UI Settings -> set AB Size to be 4, tick 'Hide AB Bg', tick 'Dock Icons Tint', set tint colour to Android Green and you're done. Note that the tinting does not work with transparency. Its not perfect but looks good enough to me. Unfortunately the tinting diminishes the contrast of the icons which makes my messaging icon look more like a home icon. Of course you can select an alternate image to use for your icons in the dock if you have the patience..

FTB07f released. See the first post.

Black theme is default.

Apps updated.

Vanilla theme available.

See second post for changelog.

Edit: Sorry to the six people who downloaded FTB07e. I found a bug, something like a really small cockroach. :blink: A new version is up.

Edited by twrock