Vega Xoom

Guest ThomasAstor

Guest ThomasAstor

Hi

I am about to pick up my Vega back from PCWorld.

It's been working fine apart the battery fast drain, some problem with the screen, specially with the unlock, and the power button.

So, the manager asked me yesterday if I wanted to change tablet.

Thinking about it, I mostly wanted a Xoom but the price stopped me at the time, plus the lack of usb and sd card. But with HC 3.1 update and 3.2 coming soon [could use the 3.2 US version], it rectified all this "nibbles".

Now the price of the Xoom being at £330, is it a good idea to buy it? I played with it yesterday, and I must say, the screen is really better. Worth £130? Oh, speaking to the manager, in compensation, I could still get the July offer of a free wireless keyboard and mice.

Google owing Motorola, the updates should come faster now.

Your view on this would be really welcome.

PS: the Asus Eee does not do it for me.

T.

Hi

I am about to pick up my Vega back from PCWorld.

It's been working fine apart the battery fast drain, some problem with the screen, specially with the unlock, and the power button.

So, the manager asked me yesterday if I wanted to change tablet.

Thinking about it, I mostly wanted a Xoom but the price stopped me at the time, plus the lack of usb and sd card. But with HC 3.1 update and 3.2 coming soon [could use the 3.2 US version], it rectified all this "nibbles".

Now the price of the Xoom being at £330, is it a good idea to buy it? I played with it yesterday, and I must say, the screen is really better. Worth £130? Oh, speaking to the manager, in compensation, I could still get the July offer of a free wireless keyboard and mice.

Google owing Motorola, the updates should come faster now.

Your view on this would be really welcome.

PS: the Asus Eee does not do it for me.

T.

Ive been toying with the idea recently of purchasing the £330 Xoom, it sure looks like a bargain for that price ... if i were to pick one up instead of a Vega for +120 more ? id probably do it ... shelling out £330 cash for a new one maybe not .. that's whats stopping me right now is the threat of the 4 core Kel-Al chips coming in the newer Transformer 2 and other such like really soon ... i presume this is the reason for the Xoom price drop, to clear stock before the Xoom 2 or whatever they have in the pipeline .. but hey ho its always the case with tech .. 6 months and there is something new to look forward to / be envious of..

But a swap of old vega + 120 for Xoom id be very very tempted .. specially with the kb and mouse being thrown in ..

Guest dibbles

Surely only you can decide how much cash that you have to spare and the differences that the Xoom will bring to your needs over that of the Vega you will get back..? For some people the difference you would pay is just beer money but for others not quite so.

However you use your tablet, and whether a working Vega will fulfill those needs, or you feel that another £130 for a working Xoom will make it that much better is quite subjective. You would only be paying for the difference between the tablets and having seen just how well the Vega performs with VC 3.2 I couldn't see a point.

I know that there is quite an active Xoom forum and some pretty good, so it seems, ROM developments but when I was offered a second hand Xoom at a really good price I simply couldn't be bothered as the Vega ticks most of the boxes for what I need a tablet for.

There are supposedly some good tablets coming out soon. The new Archos tablets spring to mind...

http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/index.html?country=us&lang=en

... not sure how good or capable they will end up being but having used both the iPad (first version) and the Xoom for a short period of time nothing, as yet, has tempted me to part company with my trusty Vega along with its great Froyo ROM's and its legendary Vegacomb 3.2 :) It just fits my needs for a tablet. If it wasn't for the excellent work of the VC team I'm not sure though if I would have stayed with a tablet without Honeycomb 3.2 as I really think that a tablet starts to come into its own with that OS.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

Edited by dibbles

Guest Gavjbrown

Chances are your Vega will have come back with the same faults (just my opinion).

I think I would be tempted to go for the zoom, if only for the better screen.

Guest phil8715

Chances are your Vega will have come back with the same faults (just my opinion).

I got rid of mine for exactly the same problem. I got a refund from PC World and I added £50 and ordered a Galaxy Tab 7 P1010 Wifi from somewhere else.

Edited by phil8715

Guest ThomasAstor

It did come back with the same faults.

Therefore the manager agreed to refund it after four months and after giving him 130, I was a happy bunny with a brand new Xoom.

So thank you very much for all your help with my Vega. It had been fun.

Thomas.