Gamepads on Vegacomb 9n

Guest WWEpsp

Hi Everyone

So, since today newbe & co realeased Vegacomb 9n with USB host mode, i know everyone have tried already keyboards, mouses, pen drives, etc.

But what about Gamepad?

I tried connecting my ps3 dual shock 3 with his own usb cable, but nothing happened, tried a "red level" gamepad designed for PS3 and nothing happened so i just give off with ps3.

Well, i connected my PC gamepad and it actually worked but on the launcher (¬¬), the emulators didnt actually recognized the pad. Looking at internet i found "USB/BT Joystick Center" on Market, it looks like the perfect app for setting up all type of pads but since is paid, i tried to look any alternatives and sadly didn't find anything.

Anyone have managed to get working gamepad? or any type of app that can work as USB/BT Joystick Center?

Edited by WWEpsp

Yeah its the one thing remaining thats pissing me off ... im looking to see what can be done to add this support now ... at the kernel level it looks to be working as its detected on insertion in dmesg, im using a wired Xbox360 controller ... The Xoom is supposed to support gamepads out the box and this is what this build is based on but alas it fails to be detected at the android level ... the Xoom kernel source for xpad is the same is what we are using ... Mystery so far .. Ohh and i bought the joystick app you mentioned and its not detecting the gamepad yet on Vega so save your cash ..Cass

EDIT :- It does work, just got my 2nd xbox wired controller working out the box ... seems the vendor id's have to be properly supported in the kernel .... just have to configure the n64oid app to accept the button presses ..

Maybe this is where the joystick app comes in ..

Working

======

[ 3355.902176] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using tegra-ehci and address 2

[ 3356.332661] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=028e

[ 3356.332718] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[ 3356.332762] usb 2-1: Product: Controller

[ 3356.332793] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: ©Microsoft

[ 3356.332826] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 76E6FC2B

[ 3356.339562] input: Microsoft X-Box 360 pad as /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.0/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/input/input6

Non working

==========

[ 2929.692296] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using tegra-ehci and address 2

[ 2930.045226] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=162e, idProduct=beef

[ 2930.045282] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[ 2930.045324] usb 2-1: Product: V31.22

[ 2930.045356] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Joytech Neo-Se Take2

[ 2930.045389] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 2743F12

Edit :- Yeah mapping the button presses now is the difficult part ... the joystick app does not detect this gamepad .. hmm .. further on than before though ....

Edit:- Seems the kernel is using an older modified xpad driver, when i move to stock xpad driver it works fine, just played mario kart with xbox pad .. Ill see what can be done with support for the others ..

Edit:- Just added support for the non working xbox controller to the kernel, so its possible to add some others it seems, works well ... xbox only at this point ... unsure the deal with ps3 controllers as i dont have one..

Edited by Cass67

Wow, thats great, thanks for the work you're doing!!

So is the joystick center app working?, hey can you send me the joystick center apk?, i just only want to test it, in case of fully working i would definitely buy it, in case you cant fix it through the kernel...

Wow, thats great, thanks for the work you're doing!!

So is the joystick center app working?, hey can you send me the joystick center apk?, i just only want to test it, in case of fully working i would definitely buy it, in case you cant fix it through the kernel...

Joystick app does not work, I've tried hacking the apk smali to reflect the device ids I have .. no joy.... Wondering if it needs otg to work and not our USB hack... Ill see about the apk when I get to my system...

Well i think OTG is a converter from mini usb to a host usb, isn't it?

if i am right then the app should work, 'cause is made for any honeycomb tablet, and since the transformer and the iconia A500 have big usb, then the app should work.

Anyway, thanks for working on it, i hope you can get a good compatibility...

P.D: im gonna post the logcat for wifi on the other thread :P

Yeah otg is more a protocol than a cable, I think the cable just enables the use of it. Our tabs don't implement otg, this is why Eduardo had to make the hack for USB switching as we can not detect a device in host mode... I'm not sure but I'm suspecting this app looks for something like this else it should work .. i Could be wrong.. I may contact the app dev for info and help ;)

I may contact the app dev for info and help ;)

I mailed the app dev asking for info... lets see what occurs from here ;)

EDIT :- Devs reply :-

My App asks for USB Permissions and uses the UsbManager of the Android API to find USB Joysticks. So I think the Kernal grabbed the joysticks and the UsbManager can not see these grabbed devices. So I think is a Kernal problem.

On the upside, he will be adding the unsuported device to the list i showed earlier so that something ... just need to figure out if what he mentiones is the case ... anyone here familiar with the API in question ?

Edited by Cass67

Guest Quipeace

My App asks for USB Permissions and uses the UsbManager of the Android API to find USB Joysticks. So I think the Kernal grabbed the joysticks and the UsbManager can not see these grabbed devices. So I think is a Kernal problem.

On the upside, he will be adding the unsuported device to the list i showed earlier so that something ... just need to figure out if what he mentiones is the case ... anyone here familiar with the API in question ?

Not much to the API:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/usb/UsbManager.html

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/usb/UsbDeviceConnection.html

Most likely a kernel thing, but without proper logs hard to say.

The good news is that, kernel wise, OTG and our "app switcher" software wise, are absolutely indistinguishable. The Shuttle tools just tell our modified OTG driver (that of course we are using!) to start believing an OTG cable was plugged in. That is the way Host-device USB works. Perhaps, there is some kernel driver missing. We should check the way Google implemented the USBManager...

Eduardo

Guest terrormattie

Edit :- Yeah mapping the button presses now is the difficult part ... the joystick app does not detect this gamepad .. hmm .. further on than before though ....

Edit:- Seems the kernel is using an older modified xpad driver, when i move to stock xpad driver it works fine, just played mario kart with xbox pad .. Ill see what can be done with support for the others ..

Edit:- Just added support for the non working xbox controller to the kernel, so its possible to add some others it seems, works well ... xbox only at this point ... unsure the deal with ps3 controllers as i dont have one..

So a wired xbox controller works? I still cant seem to map the keys.

If updating the xpad driver is the solutiun, could you maybe tell me how to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Matthijs

So a wired xbox controller works? I still cant seem to map the keys.

If updating the xpad driver is the solutiun, could you maybe tell me how to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Matthijs

Should work fine in the latest vegacomb update ... i mapped the keys in n64oid app ... triggers dont work yet but the rest does ...

The xpad driver looks for certain device ids so it could work or it could not depending on the controller...

Should work fine in the latest vegacomb update ... i mapped the keys in n64oid app ... triggers dont work yet but the rest does ...

The xpad driver looks for certain device ids so it could work or it could not depending on the controller...

hey could you try configuring ps3 controller? or just explain how :P

it would be awesome to try it...

hey could you try configuring ps3 controller? or just explain how :P

it would be awesome to try it...

I don't have one or o would :( try configuring via BT or plug in if its wired and see what occurs....

I don't have one or o would :( try configuring via BT or plug in if its wired and see what occurs....

I've tried many times by cable and on bluetooth the vega wouldnt find it.

Anyway, if you could please teach me how, i would configure some pads for me but maybe also for people and we can get them to the official ROM ;)

I've tried many times by cable and on bluetooth the vega wouldnt find it.

Anyway, if you could please teach me how, i would configure some pads for me but maybe also for people and we can get them to the official ROM ;)

In which case I suspect we don't have support in kernel yet.. ill check that when I get a moment...

Guest Cass67

It looks like we are supporting BT PS3 connections in VC, its just a pain in the ass way to set it up ...

http://droidmodderx.com/app-sixaxis-controller-for-any-android-device/

Try this page out .. it may cost you a quid for an android app (or a google for apk) but it may just be worth it ... you also have to pair the device with your pc also first it seems due to the way this pad works ... i did the first part with the compatibility checker and its compatible ... i dont have a windows box to do the other parts ...

Guest nelles

It looks like we are supporting BT PS3 connections in VC, its just a pain in the ass way to set it up ...

http://droidmodderx....android-device/

Try this page out .. it may cost you a quid for an android app (or a google for apk) but it may just be worth it ... you also have to pair the device with your pc also first it seems due to the way this pad works ... i did the first part with the compatibility checker and its compatible ... i dont have a windows box to do the other parts ...

i can confirm that ps3 controller works over Bluetooth, but it is advisable to turn off wifi.

I'm using this app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller&feature=search_result

Snesoid works great, i connected the tab to tv with hdmi and enjoy retro gaming with wireless controller ...

The only problem is the range, after 1,5-2 meters it gets flakey, 3 meters are a no-go ...

Guest Cass67

i can confirm that ps3 controller works over Bluetooth, but it is advisable to turn off wifi.

I'm using this app:

https://market.andro...e=search_result

Snesoid works great, i connected the tab to tv with hdmi and enjoy retro gaming with wireless controller ...

The only problem is the range, after 1,5-2 meters it gets flakey, 3 meters are a no-go ...

Top banana ... thanks for confirming :)